PDA

View Full Version : What a stinker of a defense today

NYC_Steeler
10-03-2010, 04:01 PM
They were just God-awful. Out of position, way off the receivers, lousy tackling. It's gonna take awhile to cleanse the stench off this one. So much for reading and believing how good you are - you actually have to show up and play the game. Little to no blitzing on Flacco - I don't know what was up with the defensive scheme today, because it was pure crap.

ZoneBlitzer
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Well it wasn't all crap. They did deliver turnovers for the offense who just happen to be next to useless in moving what seemed like 3/4 of yard with their prime field possessions.

This D played out of their heads for a stretch but I think you are starting to see its age and lack of quality secondary talent catch up to them.

steelax04
10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
I have to disagree on this one, the defense gave the offense GREAT starting field position twice and they floundered it away. Missed FG or not, Reed shouldn't have had to kick the ball close to where the offense just got it back three plays ago.

Dropping 38 points last week and coming up with 14 the following week? The 2 turnovers and 17 points given up by the defense should have been good enough for a win.

The 50+ yard bomb attempts that I saw for most of the day do not help move the chains. Move the chains just for one or two more first downs today and this is a win.

SmashmouthFootball
10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
The defense wasn't amazing, but they weren't bad either. They weren't able to get the job done when it mattered,, but they also didn't get any help from the offense or special teams in terms of field position. It's tough when the field is that short and there is a minute left.

VegasStlrFan
10-03-2010, 04:22 PM
This comes down to the offense not being able to get 10 frickking yards when its absolutely critical. It wasn't because the Ravens stopped them, it was stupid penalties at a critical juncture of the game.

GMU Steeler
10-03-2010, 04:23 PM
They weren't awful and if the offense had turned the two turnovers the D gave them in deep ravens territory in to points the team would have won today. Yeah there's a lot that needs improved but the D was not why we lost today. We have to convert turnovers in to points and we didn't do that today. Reed hurt his cause too by missing two key FGs as well. Yeah, the D's play in teh last minute stank but tehy were not why we lost today.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
You just had to know this game would end badly when "Brick Hands" Ike caught the ball. :doh:

Haiku_Dirtt
10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I have to disagree on this one, the defense gave the offense GREAT starting field position twice and they floundered it away. Missed FG or not, Reed shouldn't have had to kick the ball close to where the offense just got it back three plays ago.

Dropping 38 points last week and coming up with 14 the following week? The 2 turnovers and 17 points given up by the defense should have been good enough for a win.

The 50+ yard bomb attempts that I saw for most of the day do not help move the chains. Move the chains just for one or two more first downs today and this is a win.

Wallace could have had an epic day with those bombs. But in this kind of game MOVE THE CHAINS!!

wootawnee
10-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Charlie Batch looked like Charlie Brown.......Runnin around like a scared school boy all day....Afraid to take a hit........I just lost all respect for that dude......What a wimp......I would have stuck in Lefty at the half......

Ike Taylor looked like he was hung over all day.......Except for that gimme pick, he looked like a pop warner player.........Where was Bmac all day?......

What happened to our blitzes?......Dicky dropped the ball today giving Fluke-O all day to pass........Bad game plan.......

Too many runs on first down too.........Good against the rest of the league, not the Raven's.......Bad Bruce Bad.......

The whole first havf we looked like a bunch of drunks hung over from the night before......

That all I got........

fer522
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
i think our D played ok
the problem was the OC calling a crapy game
but we should be much better when BIG BEN comes back
so im really looking forward to that

Rick5895
10-03-2010, 05:57 PM
The D played a good game I thought, gave our offense the ball twice in Ravens territory and 2 missed field goals. Great stand on our goal line should have given us the win but 2 false starts ended that. As a team we had, what, 12 penalties today, that is not acceptable and was more of the reason we lost, certainly NOT THE DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

theplatypus
10-03-2010, 05:59 PM
The D played a good game I thought, gave our offense the ball twice in Ravens territory and 2 missed field goals. Great stand on our goal line should have given us the win but 2 false starts ended that. As a team we had, what, 12 penalties today, that is not acceptable and was more of the reason we lost, certainly NOT THE DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!

hallelujah

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 06:08 PM
for 59 and a half minutes the D held the rat bastards to 10 points, plus they handed the ball back to the O twice in good field position. ... had the O done its job this wouldn't even be a discussion.

ricksteelers55
10-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Let's be honnest here....The Ravens couldnt afford to lose that ball game today.Cause if they did they would have been 0-2 in AFCN matchups and 2 games behind the leaders.Now we're all even but make no mistakes,we've played Titans Falcons and Bucs...The Ravens played Browns,Bengals and Jets so they still have 2 good opponents out of our Division(Titans and Falcons are no easy matchups) that we faced and we only have 1 that they faced.(Jets)

With Ben being back I think we will win this division....if I'm the Ravens winning by 3 with 32 seconds against their 3rd string QB(maybe 4th) I'm not proud even though I love Charlie....he wasnt great today.

steelerfan5
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
The D didn't look as good today, but then again, they played a much tougher team. The offense was lame, Jeff Reed failed us, and the D was probably tired from all their time on the field for the last few weeks. Great time for a Bye, and with BB returning, the offense should improve. Of course I have mixed feelings about Ben, but that's another topic...

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
D did their job. If the offense turned 2 turnovers in ravens territory into any points, we win this game.

lionslicer
10-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone notice on the last Ravens TD that LeBeau had Troy blitzing and left McFadden 1 on1 with TJ? Terrible call.
But Steelers should have never been in that position, no need for Reed to miss 2 field goals.
I really didn't see the whole game so I can't really critique the defense.

sackmaster56
10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Couldnt agree more with what most of the replies are on this. Arians sucked and I think its time for Jeff Reed to rip bathrooms up and pee in parking lots in a different town....................

btaylor
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
with big ben we win by 2 tds

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
For those of you ripping Lebeau for Troy's blitz on the TD toss, remember Troy is generally given free reign to do as he wishes. We don't know that the Safety blitz was Dick's call.

Personally, I thought Farrior had a sub-par game & was exposed often today. Although, I still don't think the D lost this game for us.

lionslicer
10-03-2010, 08:11 PM
For those of you ripping Lebeau for Troy's blitz on the TD toss, remember Troy is generally given free reign to do as he wishes. We don't know that the Safety blitz was Dick's call.

Personally, I thought Farrior had a sub-par game & was exposed often today. Although, I still don't think the D lost this game for us.

Troy wouldn't leave that side of the defense open like that. LeBeau's play let B-Mac stay deep and actually have Woodley fake a blitz and go out into the flat to cover. On that drive the Ravens attacked that part of the field with short passes twice, so it would have been a perfect call if the Ravens went short again, but the Ravens OC took a chance to have TJ fake going short and make a move to go deep, which totally caught the defense off guard. Much respect for Ravens OC and Flacco, but LeBeau played attack defense at the worst situation. One of those if it worked he's a genuis, if it doesn't work he's an idiot. It was a gustsy call by him.

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Troy wouldn't leave that side of the defense open like that. LeBeau's play let B-Mac stay deep and actually have Woodley fake a blitz and go out into the flat to cover. On that drive the Ravens attacked that part of the field with short passes twice, so it would have been a perfect call if the Ravens went short again, but the Ravens OC took a chance to have TJ fake going short and make a move to go deep, which totally caught the defense off guard. Much respect for Ravens OC and Flacco, but LeBeau played attack defense at the worst situation. One of those if it worked he's a genuis, if it doesn't work he's an idiot. It was a gustsy call by him.

I don't necessarily agree. Troy has incredible instincts, but at times has made a poor decision & been burned. You're suggesting that Troy's instincts are better than Lebeau's? :noidea:

I do agree that Cam Cameron called a great game for the Ravens today,

StainlessStill
10-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Stinker of a defense? Are you kidding me?

Credit the Ravens offense for coming up with a game plan to push the envelope on us. The Steelers D is built off of giving up short yardage. Everyone seems to forget that our defense had a goal line stand late in the game, gave the offense 2.. count them.. 2 turnovers in the Ravens end, in the second half and came away with 0 points while gaining a whopping 2 yards off of those turnovers offensively. Reed left 6 points on the field (although TOUGH points kicking in that Heinz Field wind) and we all know how crucial 3 points is in these games.

Our play calling was pathetic on the series inside of the Ravens end of the field following the turnovers. One series consisted of a dumb-ass reverse to Wallace that got stuffed ( wasted play) Mendenhall getting stuffed for 1 yard and then Charlie Batch getting sacked, so we had our chance.

The defense did their job on 4th, but that offensive series after that was an abortion. Our D was gassed at that point and went into prevent mode, even though they didn't even work the sidelines. Frustrating because we had them, drove 93 yards to take the lead but mistakes cost us, esp the stupid yellow flags.

We are correctable. We can beat any team in the league.

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Stinker of a defense? Are you kidding me?

Credit the Ravens offense for coming up with a game plan to push the envelope on us. The Steelers D is built off of giving up short yardage. Everyone seems to forget that our defense had a goal line stand late in the game, gave the offense 2.. count them.. 2 turnovers in the Ravens end, in the second half and came away with 0 points while gaining a whopping 2 yards off of those turnovers offensively. Reed left 6 points on the field (although TOUGH points kicking in that Heinz Field wind) and we all know how crucial 3 points is in these games.

Our play calling was pathetic on the series inside of the Ravens end of the field following the turnovers. One series consisted of a dumb-ass reverse to Wallace that got stuffed ( wasted play) Mendenhall getting stuffed for 1 yard and then Charlie Batch getting sacked, so we had our chance.

The defense did their job on 4th, but that offensive series after that was an abortion. Our D was gassed at that point and went into prevent mode, even though they didn't even work the sidelines. Frustrating because we had them, drove 93 yards to take the lead but mistakes cost us, esp the stupid yellow flags.

We are correctable. We can beat any team in the league.

Well said...I agree with all of this!v:thumbsup:

lionslicer
10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't necessarily agree. Troy has incredible instincts, but at times has made a poor decision & been burned. You're suggesting that Troy's instincts are better than Lebeau's? :noidea:

I do agree that Cam Cameron called a great game for the Ravens today,

Troy started out on that side of the field, and it seemed like he was supposed to blitz or play a short zone, he was never ment to be deep. LeBeau's call was to cover one reciever on that side of the field with a short zone and a deep zone. B-Mac screwed him by jumping the route too early, but LeBeau should have gave Troy the order to stay in coverage. Troy has ability to do what he wants, but only to a certain point, LeBeau still controls about 50% of what he does and where he lines up on the field, from there Troy chooses between blitzing, zone or man up on someone.

caplovestroyp43
10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Well said...I agree with all of this!v:thumbsup:

Me too! :thumbsup:

stb_steeler
10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Lets all not forget here....all we had to do is get the first down at the end, then we'd all be sittin here cheering. But with false starts penalties thats what happens.

VegasStlrFan
10-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Lets all not forget here....all we had to do is get the first down at the end, then we'd all be sittin here cheering. But with false starts penalties thats what happens.

Exactly....all they had to do was get ten yards in 3 plays; just MAN UP and get it done. If you get beat, fine...just don't make stupid mistakes that cost the game that is unacceptable (dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!!!!!). :banging::banging::banging: Does anyone know what the runs were before the penalties? I think they actually would've had a first with the plays that were called back

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Exactly....all they had to do was get ten yards in 3 plays; just MAN UP and get it done. If you get beat, fine...just don't make stupid mistakes that cost the game that is unacceptable (dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!!!!!). :banging::banging::banging: Does anyone know what the runs were before the penalties? I think they actually would've had a first with the plays that were called back

i think they were 3 yarders that got us to the 5, which would have given us enough room to try a pass play. but if you keep getting pushed back to the 2, run is almost the only option

StainlessStill
10-04-2010, 12:01 AM
i think they were 3 yarders that got us to the 5, which would have given us enough room to try a pass play. but if you keep getting pushed back to the 2, run is almost the only option

EXACTLY what I've been saying. Everyone's calling out for us to pass, which we were probably going to do, atleast on third down because Mendenhall did get about 3-4 yards breathing room before 2 false starts and backed up to our 2 yard line. After that, it's run 100% of the time and put the game in the defense that's won us 3 straight games.

mikegrimey
10-04-2010, 12:20 AM
The defense wasn't super-dominant but they did their share and more for the W.

Holding the opposition to 10 and giving gifts to the offense in the form of 2 turnovers deep in enemy territory, the main blame for this one has to go on the O. Another instance where we needed a first down to ice the game but couldn't get it done. As has been mentioned, those penalties were hideous. We're still a bit behind with the running game.

The D does deserve some blame for getting spanked on that last drive, but they did their share before that, we just needed 1 or 2 more plays.

Glad we're getting Ben back.

steelersalaska
10-04-2010, 12:38 AM
I thought Batch did enough as a backup and the defense over all did enough to get the win. Reed has saved us way more than he has ever hurt us. I really like Pouncey but I felt he got a little schooling today in big boy football.

The last series got a little out of hand with the penalties... I'll bet we do better in the future, but the truth is we needed a first down and couldn't get it... we have Ward and Heath... maybe run once to keep them honest but we only needed 10 yards, AND they were playing run D.

To be honest I watched a good ball game today although the Ravens barely outplayed us. Flacco had too much time and we're just lucky Batch isn't broken.

If I can add anything that I feel will help us in the future is that Wallace has to go up and get the ball. Every pass thrown at him is his to take. Last week he got lucky with the tip but he's just expecting that ball to fall in his hands. Today he let it get ripped from him. That was seven points and we lost by 3.

ZoneBlitzer
10-04-2010, 01:28 AM
The one thing that stunk from the D was their failure to get off the field on 3rd and long situations and their complete collapse in the final seconds a la 2009. I hope this team is not heading in that direction again.

MasterOfPuppets
10-04-2010, 01:43 AM
The one thing that stunk from the D was their failure to get off the field on 3rd and long situations and their complete collapse in the final seconds a la 2009. I hope this team is not heading in that direction again.
the ratbirds converted 4 of 11 3rd downs....:noidea:

ZoneBlitzer
10-04-2010, 01:52 AM

Really? It seemed like more. It must've been the situations that ticked me off.

MasterOfPuppets
10-04-2010, 02:43 AM
3-8-PIT 41 (:38) (Shotgun) 5-J.Flacco pass deep left to 81-A.Boldin to PIT 23 for 18 yards (25-R.Clark).

3-4-PIT 17 (14:20) (Shotgun) 5-J.Flacco pass incomplete deep left to 86-T.Heap. PENALTY on PIT-24-I.Taylor, Illegal Use of Hands, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 17 - No Play.

3-8-BAL 39 (4:01) (Shotgun) 5-J.Flacco pass short middle to 86-T.Heap to PIT 45 for 16 yards (22-W.Gay).

3-2-PIT 7 (:30) #64 Cousins reports as eligible receiver. 23-W.McGahee right guard to PIT 5 for 2 yards (50-L.Foote; 94-L.Timmons). Official measurement.

3-7-BAL 14 (13:29) (Shotgun) 5-J.Flacco pass short right to 86-T.Heap to BLT 22 for 8 yards (51-J.Farrior).

3-1-PIT 26 (5:03) PIT-99-B.Keisel was injured during the play. PENALTY on PIT-92-J.Harrison, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 26 - No Play.

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 03:34 AM

That's because they didn't even need to get to third down. They had 22 first downs so that means 18 of them were on first and second down. Nothing to braga about. Tey allowed 250 yards passing (24 completions)

Fire Arians
10-04-2010, 03:43 AM
yep we were giving up too much yardage on first down, so they often didnt need to convert any on 3rd down

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 03:44 AM
D did their job. If the offense turned 2 turnovers in ravens territory into any points, we win this game.

No...not good enough. Pass defense too leaky at the end and they let them score at the end to lose the lead.

That attitude of "I did enough earlier so we shouldn't be in this position, I can relax now" is the wrong attitude.

Did the Ravens D have that attitude saying they held us to 1 points so they could mess up at the end and let us get a first down instead of punting or let us get in FG range at the end to tie it? No...it is a big time and you come home bigf and make the stop or you get hit in the mouth. Tey came up and made those 2 critical stops, we had our swiss cheese pass D exposed (66% chance of completion).

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 03:48 AM
yep we were giving up too much yardage on first down, so they often didnt need to convert any on 3rd down

They manipulated that weakness of ours...the short out pattern but instead of throwing it for 3 yards like the falcons, they were throwing it for 8-11 yards.

When the defender is 10-15 yards off, that is a weakness. Other teams will study tis too. They just remained patient knowing we would get frustrated about not seeming to have any pressure and eventually send others...and we did.

What bothered me is not that 1 guy got open here or ther but that I saw several plays with multiple people open ...really scary.

ZoneBlitzer
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
They manipulated that weakness of ours...the short out pattern but instead of throwing it for 3 yards like the falcons, they were throwing it for 8-11 yards.

When the defender is 10-15 yards off, that is a weakness. Other teams will study tis too. They just remained patient knowing we would get frustrated about not seeming to have any pressure and eventually send others...and we did.

What bothered me is not that 1 guy got open here or ther but that I saw several plays with multiple people open ...really scary.

Are we headed for 2009 all over again? I'm not too comfortable with the way the D played in certain situations, ie end of quarter/half and games...

zulater
10-04-2010, 01:09 PM
What an overreaction!

The defense was one offensive first down away from being remembered for a epic goal line stand to preserve the victory.

The defense delivered prime fourth quarter scoring opportunities for the offense twice, only to have both chances squandered.

The defense still only gave up 17 points.

Yeah I'm a little dissapointed that we couldn't close it out, and yeah the defense played a part in letting this one get away, but it certainly wasn't a "stinking" effort.

Grow up people, there were two good teams out on the field yesterday. You need to recognize that it's not always about what you didn't do, it also has a lot to do with what the other guy did do! Flacco rose to the occasion (for once :chuckle:) They controlled our OLB's! We''ll adjust, they'll adjust, it will be another great game when we play them next time! Hopefully with a different result.

Bur regardless when you post an over the top opinion such as the one used to start this thead it makes us all look like asses.

Don't believe me, look at the way we mock yahoos over at other teams mb's when they came up with this sort of crap.

No offense to the OP, I go overboard at times too, :doh::chuckle: but the defense didn't stink, the coaches didn't stink, and no even Jeff Reed didn't stink, ( he was close though :wink02:)The other team came in an earned it, now we've got to go down there and take it back in December.

And we will. :tt:

steelax04
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I do have to give some major props to Todd Heap... he made one hell of a read on Troy's blitz on the TD.

So I'm not so sure that it was as much of a bad call by LeBeau as it was a great blitz pick-up by Heap...

bigchuck
10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
the defense played great, it was the offensive coaching that is to blame. you cant even get a first down to seal the game after your D comes up huge on 4th down? then you give them the ball on the 40 after a 3 and out with 2 penalties and a holding on the punt. the D was there, and thankfuylly we get ben back and hopefully some semblance of an offense

plenewken
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Every year, I read the same crap. An "awful" defense getting 2 turnovers in Baltimore's territory is a pretty good defense IMO. How come our offense couldn't take advantage of them. Not even a first down on 2 turnovers, starting deep in Baltimore's territory. And that's the fault of the defense?

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Every year, I read the same crap. An "awful" defense getting 2 turnovers in Baltimore's territory is a pretty good defense IMO. How come our offense couldn't take advantage of them. Not even a first down on 2 turnovers, starting deep in Baltimore's territory. And that's the fault of the defense?

This is how it always is. A defense could play perfect, but if they let up a last minute drive for a touchdown, that totally erases the work they did. Losers always find a way too lose no matter how good of a game they played.
(raiders, browns, rams, 49ers, lions all could have winning records if it wasn't for last minute mistakes/defense collapse)

The last drive of the game was pretty shamefull for that defense. When a team needs to prevent a touchdown to win, not a field goal, they don't leave 2 players near the endzone by themselves.

1 really bad play reuins the defensives play of the day
1 really bad play in the playoffs ruins the teams efforts for the whole year. If the defense did that in the superbowl, no one here would say they played great but just had 1 bad player, you'd be pretty hard on them

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Are we headed for 2009 all over again? I'm not too comfortable with the way the D played in certain situations, ie end of quarter/half and games...

I don't think so because of Troy but without him I would be nervous.

They did have the chance to stop them and preserve the lead and failed.

My hope is they realize this weakness and come up with a back up play to use during a game if they notice a team is picking them apart.

Make no mistake we have to get back to the 2008 pass defense where teams couldn't get yards...not just scores. Those yards affect field position.

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 11:30 PM
What an overreaction!

Bur regardless when you post an over the top opinion such as the one used to start this thead it makes us all look like asses.

Don't believe me, look at the way we mock yahoos over at other teams mb's when they came up with this sort of crap.

No offense to the OP, I go overboard at times too, :doh::chuckle: but the defense didn't stink, the coaches didn't stink, and no even Jeff Reed didn't stink, ( he was close though :wink02:)The other team came in an earned it, now we've got to go down there and take it back in December.

And we will. :tt:

Wussup Zu...lol You would be a good friend because you see no flaws in people you like. lol

Our pass defense was terrible. There were several plays where MULTIPLE people were open. They exposed our weakness to the short out routs but were able to run them at 8-11 yards instead of 3 yards. Brady will be watching this film.

Sure statistics aren't everything but we sucked pass-wise before the game and still sucked after the game. Teams complete 2/3 of their passes against us. We've given up 49 pass first downs. We are ranked 19th against the pass. The thing that masked this is all the turnovers. Also we keep stopping them from scoring TDs right at the end.

We have a good pass rush if teams refuse to use the short out passes.

It's not every day that we will go against sucky receivers and QBs who make poor decisions.

We are not panicking but we would like it fixed before we play NO.