PDA

View Full Version : Not a good game for the coaching staff

Raw Steel
10-03-2010, 04:05 PM
They really blew it down the stretch there. You need to play to win. They have to at least try to get the first down. The short field made it too easy with that much time. The clock wasn't even a factor.

And Dick LeBeau's blitz call was awful. He is one of the greatest coaches of all-time, but he blew that one. No way Troy should be anywhere but the secondary to do what he does best - make plays.

Still, a great 3-1 start to the season. We will go to Baltimore later in the season and get this one back. We are in good shape. This one stinks because we are much better than Baltimore.

SmashmouthFootball
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
The penalties really murdered us. You just can't get penalized 3 times in 4 plays inside your own 10 yard line trying to ice the game.

If none of those penalties happen, Baltimore probably starts on their own 35 instead of our 40.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Can't disagree.

We were never in control of the game. I

sharkweek
10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
this wasn't the coaching staff's fault

it was the penalties and missed FGs that lost us the game.

also, as much as I love love LOVE Charlie, he's just not as good as Ben. With Ben we easily win by 14 points or more.

SH-Rock
10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Defense gave the offense good field position after those 2 TO and they didn't score on either

He also tried to make big plays on 3rd and 5? Wtf is the matter with you. Get the 5 and continue

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM

also, as much as I love love LOVE Charlie, he's just not as good as Ben. With Ben we easily win by 14 points or more.

have to disagree somewhat. blitzing troy P when we knew end zone shots were coming was just pure stupidity. we couldn't have gift wrapped that TD any better

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
All good points. There were a lot of things that lost the game for us today. It's hard to really point at one and say that was the end all to be all.

Get 'em healthy and ready in the bye and get Ben ready to spank some Brownie ass!

3-1 is better than I expected.

GMU Steeler
10-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Yep should have played those plays more conservatively. It's a heartbreaking loss. Bummed naturally but I still think this team has a lot of potential. I think these four games showed people we're alot better than they thought.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-03-2010, 04:20 PM

The third down play before Reed's second miss was a brutal mistake by Batch. With the wind in their faces at the open end of Heinz field shouldn't a first down be THE priority?

Charlie had ARE wide open for a first down over the middle. The gut shot toss in the endzone left Reed with a 49 yarder. Major screw up.

LVSteelersfan
10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Reed. WTF. You lost this game for us single handedly. What was with that last kickoff that gave them the good field position? And missing two field goals. I thought you were supposed to be money at Heinz Field. So much for all of the Reed apologists around here. He cost us that game plain and simple.

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 04:24 PM
i don't think the D played bad, i think lebeau just had a bad gameplan. too conservative. they strayed away from whats been successful against flacco , and thats blitz the hell out of him and force turnovers. today we seen a lot of 3 man rushes.

Steel_Bus_24
10-03-2010, 04:29 PM
yeah that was a bad call to blitz Troy.....someone else should have

but it was a total team choke job today

They played afraid for most of the game and let them dictate

SteelKnight
10-03-2010, 04:32 PM
They really blew it down the stretch there. You need to play to win. They have to at least try to get the first down. The short field made it too easy with that much time. The clock wasn't even a factor.

And Dick LeBeau's blitz call was awful. He is one of the greatest coaches of all-time, but he blew that one. No way Troy should be anywhere but the secondary to do what he does best - make plays.

Still, a great 3-1 start to the season. We will go to Baltimore later in the season and get this one back. We are in good shape. This one stinks because we are much better than Baltimore.

I agree. Both offense and defense coaching sucked.

Offense-On 3rd down we should have at least trid for the first down. If they make it, the game is over. If not and they get stopped short and the Ravens score, it might be better to have more time on the clock. TRY. The Ravens would have tried.

Defense-Our pass D sucked all game. People were open all the time. In fact, our pass D sucked before the game ranked at 17th. It was the turnovers helping us and the bend but don't break allowing yards but no points. I knew eventually they would break. They played against a team with a good O-line. Before the game there was a whopping 2/3rds chance of completion throwing a pass against us (very low in ranking). One DB had said Lebeau said the short passes won't beat them...well it did today...especially when you allow 10 yards a clip...boo...no adjustment.

Yeah 3-1 is OK. Glad to have Ben back.

SteelKnight
10-03-2010, 04:35 PM
i don't think the D played bad, i think lebeau just had a bad gameplan. too conservative. they strayed away from whats been successful against flacco , and thats blitz the hell out of him and force turnovers. today we seen a lot of 3 man rushes.

Maybe today YOU weren't watching the game my friend:sofunny:...it was bad. Receivers were open all over the place. Terrible coverage. They have mastered the holes in our zone and we didn't adapt.

Hayeksheroes
10-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Reed. WTF. You lost this game for us single handedly. What was with that last kickoff that gave them the good field position? And missing two field goals. I thought you were supposed to be money at Heinz Field. So much for all of the Reed apologists around here. He cost us that game plain and simple.

Yeah, if it had been a 30 + yards instead of 45 + yards. With the wind, those kicks are tough. I blame the coaching staff for 3 step drops on 3rd down. A run up the middle gives Reed a 30 yard kick.

madtowndrunkard
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Anytime you hold the opponents to 17 points you should win. Especially considering they didn't add 7 points till the last 2 minutes.

Bad coaching offensively and Jeff Reed cost us that game. Even after bad penalties we still had the game. All you needed on that last possession was a 1st down. We need a 1st down and our play calling basically said kneel. That's playing not to lose.

In hind sight I thought we were overly aggressive when we shouldn't have been and overly conservative when we shouldn't have been. I won't harp on that too much because ultimately I do think we lost that game because of poor offensively game planning. If Batch was so bad he couldn't run our offense I'd forgive Arians and blame it on Bens suspension. Problem is that wasn't the case. That game was there for the taking. Reed misses 2 tough FG's. IMO you really can't blame him for missing one of those. But he should have made at least one. Add in a piss poor offensive performance and you've earned your self a loss. It sucks. We clearly were the better team IMO. shit coaching IMO cost us the game.

wootawnee
10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Charlie was a scared little school boy all day........

Ike Taylor was horrible........

B mac sucked too...........

That last 3rd down should have been a pass attempt........First down = win....What dumbasses........You can't be conservative with the ravens.......I hated that shit.......Reminded me of stupid cowher calls.........So you throw a pick 6 u lost anyway......Dumbass.......

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe today YOU weren't watching the game my friend:sofunny:...it was bad. Receivers were open all over the place. Terrible coverage. They have mastered the holes in our zone and we didn't adapt.
as i said, they were playing too conservative... blame those soft cushions and all day to throw the ball on lebeau. he seldom brought the pressure like he normally does against flacco. you guys act like its the players decision to play 15 yds off the line of scrimage...its not.

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 04:54 PM

That last 3rd down should have been a pass attempt........First down = win....What dumbasses........You can't be conservative with the ravens.......I hated that shit.......Reminded me of stupid cowher calls.........So you throw a pick 6 u lost anyway......Dumbass.......
the funny thing is , if the same scenerio happens the next game.... tomlin will STILL call 3 run plays.

madtowndrunkard
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM

@$#^ that! You can't rely on your offense to get a 1st down? If you can't expect a 1st down out of your offense against a VERY over rated Raven's defense then you do not deserve to win.

A first down erases 7 points. We should have won 14-10 if our pathetic offense could get a 1st down. Arians failed With the talent we have offensively we should have scored more then 14 points. Batch is a good #2 QB. He was capable of getting a 1st down. Our OC's @#$Y^ play calling prevented us from winning. Add in 2 missed FG's.....we deserved to lose.

Steel Warrior
10-03-2010, 05:02 PM
One first down and the game was over. Throw the damn ball and at least try. Giving the Rats a short field anything can happen and it did. Poor coaching.

fer522
10-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Reed lost us the game this time plain and simple

wootawnee
10-03-2010, 05:08 PM
the funny thing is , if the same scenerio happens the next game.... tomlin will STILL call 3 run plays.

Yea your probably right.........But I'm hoping for some new thinkin around these parts when it comes to putting teams away..........First downs wins games......Short little crotch rocket thows will get you 4-6 yards a pop..........I just don't like how the Steelers go and hide in their turtle shell at the end of games........When you do that, the predator knows exactly where you are and what your doing............I'm just tired of seeing this play calling out of my Team year after year.........That is one of our only pitfalls that holds us back for more championship runs..........All I'm saying is lets lay it all out there and go for it a little more, rather than lay back and hope the other team doesn't.....

Mags87
10-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Reed lost us the game this time plain and simple

no he did not. 40+ yards on that end of the field is never something you want to rely on. the defense gave the offense the ball inside the 35 to start TWICE! they werent able to get a first down on either of those two drives, forcing two very difficult field goals. dont blame Reed for this, the Ravens kicker missed one from that range as well in the same end of the field. our offense only showed up on 2 drives the entire game. thats what cost us the game

fer522
10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
no he did not. 40+ yards on that end of the field is never something you want to rely on. the defense gave the offense the ball inside the 35 to start TWICE! they werent able to get a first down on either of those two drives, forcing two very difficult field goals. dont blame Reed for this, the Ravens kicker missed one from that range as well in the same end of the field. our offense only showed up on 2 drives the entire game. thats what cost us the game

yes he did, that's what he is supposed to do he's making millions to do just that
everybody f*** up that i know but he kicked the ball not anybody else and if he cannot be trusted than he should not be there

tucker6
10-03-2010, 05:33 PM
I agree with the OP. On third down with two minutes to go, you pass for the first down. You get it, game over. You miss getting the 1st, and Baltimore still gets it at the 50. Whether there is 60 seconds or 100 seconds to go is immaterial to Baltimore's fate. Any reasonably good team can cover 50 yards in either of those times. Bad decision by Tomlin IMHO. There was no downside to passing on third except an INT. Go for the win.

scsteeler
10-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Not a great game, to many mental mistakes but overall we are going to be fine. We lost this one and it is in the books time to move on to the Brownies and move forward from there.

Anyone think we would go undefeated this year? Not me I said 12-4 this year maybe 11-5.

Mags87
10-03-2010, 05:41 PM
yes he did, that's what he is supposed to do he's making millions to do just that
everybody f*** up that i know but he kicked the ball not anybody else and if he cannot be trusted than he should not be there

well how about the offense not getting a first down to close the game out at the end? you cant put a loss on a single player. Jeff Reed makes plenty of critical field goals for us. i can live with a loss or two due to 45 and 49 yard FG misses in one of the hardest stadiums to kick in in the NFL.

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 08:34 PM
i gotta disagree with those that think we should have thrown the ball on 3rd down. Our passing game was pathetic all day & we were very unlikely to get a first down based on how the game had gone to that point. With almost two minutes remaining & Baltimore with no timeouts, the correct call was a run to roll the clock down to just over a minute. You have to believe our Defense 9 out of 10 times makes the stops to win the game. If anything I think our defense played too soft on the final drive.

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 08:41 PM
i gotta disagree with those that think we should have thrown the ball on 3rd down. Our passing game was pathetic all day & we were very unlikely to get a first down based on how the game had gone to that point. With almost two minutes remaining & Baltimore with no timeouts, the correct call was a run to roll the clock down to just over a minute. You have to believe our Defense 9 out of 10 times makes the stops to win the game. If anything I think our defense played too soft on the final drive.
no they shouldn't have thrown it on 3rd down....they should have thrown it on second. play action would have been very effect.

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 08:44 PM
no they shouldn't have thrown it on 3rd down....they should have thrown it on second. play action would have been very effect.

I agree with play-action (or even a bubble screen)...I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for it all day. If anyone recorded the game I'd love for you to count the # of play-action calls on our part, I honestly don't remember one.

StainlessStill
10-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Actually, that entire offensive series was a shit-fest. Would or could have we called play action? YES. But, come on, deep in our own field position, backs up against the endzone and 2 false start penalties pitting us at the 2 yard line? That took us out of the game plan at that point and CERTAINLY took all the confidence out of Arians to call a play action or any sort of pass in that situation.

Thing is, everything actually worked out well, after those retarded penalties, we put the ball in the hands of the defense to win the game, something that we offer with open arms but it didn't work out the way we wanted it, but that's dangerous play calling after that goaline stand. Without those stupid false starts, it could have worked but after that, it was all about getting the ball off of Sepulveda's foot, but that was overshadowed by a holding penalty in the endzone. Fluke last couple minutes.

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Actually, that entire offensive series was a shit-fest. Would or could have we called play action? YES. But, come on, deep in our own field position, backs up against the endzone and 2 false start penalties pitting us at the 2 yard line? That took us out of the game plan at that point and CERTAINLY took all the confidence out of Arians to call a play action or any sort of pass in that situation.

Thing is, everything actually worked out well, after those retarded penalties, we put the ball in the hands of the defense to win the game, something that we offer with open arms but it didn't work out the way we wanted it, but that's dangerous play calling after that goaline stand. Without those stupid false starts, it could have worked but after that, it was all about getting the ball off of Sepulveda's foot, but that was overshadowed by a holding penalty in the endzone. Fluke last couple minutes.

Actually, I would not have wanted to see a screen or play-action at that point of the game. I wanted to see it during the bulk of the game. Who knows? If we had run some effective play-action of screens earlier, it may have opened up for the run at the end. I was fine with three running plays in that situation.

3rdandlong
10-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm willing to cut Lebeau some slack since I can't count how many games he and the defense have won for us. Arian's playcalling on the other hand contributed to this loss. Does the man know what a HB screen is? I felt the Steelers should have called a high percentage completion pass on 2nd down late in the game, perhaps a WR screen. We needed that first down. I've learned not to trust the defense late in games.

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM

dude everybody that was watching that game and i'm sure that includes the ravens were expecting 3 strait running plays.. when does play action work best ? worst case scenerio is you tell batch to throw it away if its not there . big deal. so you leave a little more time on the clock. your defense is either gonna step up and stop them , or they're not...

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm willing to cut Lebeau some slack since I can't count how many games he and the defense have won for us. Arian's playcalling on the other hand contributed to this loss. Does the man know what a HB screen is? I felt the Steelers should have called a high percentage completion pass on 2nd down late in the game, perhaps a WR screen. We needed that first down. I've learned not to trust the defense late in games.

Well, we learned that last year. But, that was without Aaron Smith & Troy. Our defense carried us to three wins, while our anemic offense didn't lose the games for us. Once again, our defense did enough for us to win, but our offense DID lose the game.

I truly believe the return of BB will have us rolling again. I'm just happy to be mostly healthy & that our special teams has been good so far. Bring on the terds!!

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 09:32 PM
dude everybody that was watching that game and i'm sure that includes the ravens were expecting 3 strait running plays.. when does play action work best ?

I hear ya...but play-action with a run blitz & Charlie-leadfoot-Batch in the pocket = Safety. Then, we free kick to them & all they need for the win is a FG. I think the odds were against a successful play-action pass in the situation. But, play-action earlier in the game would have made sense....hence....Arians doesn't call it. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 09:45 PM
I hear ya...but play-action with a run blitz & Charlie-leadfoot-Batch in the pocket = Safety. Then, we free kick to them & all they need for the win is a FG. I think the odds were against a successful play-action pass in the situation. But, play-action earlier in the game would have made sense....hence....Arians doesn't call it. :noidea:
successful ? did anyone think that 3 run plays , which everyone knew was coming, was going to be successful ? they called plays with punting in mind. its as simple as that. i'd think after watching the D fold like a cheap tent in numerous games last year , tomlin mighta changed his strategy, to play to win, instead of play and TRY not to lose.

SteeleReign
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM
successful ? did anyone think that 3 run plays , which everyone knew was coming, was going to be successful ? they called plays with punting in mind. its as simple as that. i'd think after watching the D fold like a cheap tent in numerous games last year , tomlin mighta changed his strategy, to play to win, instead of play and TRY not to lose.

I understand what you're saying. I don't think "punting" was in mind - the clock was. And, the ONLY effective part of our offense was Mendenhall. If anything, I think we should have run Mendy around the edge rather than straight into the pile. Most of our successful runs were to the edge - we should have "gone to the well" one more time.

StainlessStill
10-03-2010, 09:56 PM
dude everybody that was watching that game and i'm sure that includes the ravens were expecting 3 strait running plays.. when does play action work best ? worst case scenerio is you tell batch to throw it away if its not there . big deal. so you leave a little more time on the clock. your defense is either gonna step up and stop them , or they're not...

I understand this, but you're missing the point of how we possibly could have called a passing play or maybe even a screen if we don't commit 2 false start penalties. That phyces out the play calling of any sort, ESP aggression.

Say we do throw it from our 2 yard line after the fact. That A.) risks turnover with our backs up against our endzone, and the Ravens defense is certainly capable of coming up with the ball. B.) Incomplete pass's stop the clock, which means that gives Baltimore even more time go down the field if things go array, esp kicking from our endzone. You got to think of coaching strategy at that time, not after the fact. We did all we could and we gave the ball back into the hands of our D. We just got beat on 4 shitty offensive plays that resulted into us on our heels instead of having the killer instinct and that stems off of our goal-line stand a possession before that and I think that gassed us mentally.

Even with the lead, we needed more from the offense, esp when Reed misses 2 FG's and when our D forces 2 turnovers.

btaylor
10-03-2010, 10:02 PM
i hve never had faith in reed,hes too busy trying to be cool

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I understand this, but you're missing the point of how we possibly could have called a passing play or maybe even a screen if we don't commit 2 false start penalties. That phyces out the play calling of any sort, ESP aggression.

Say we do throw it from our 2 yard line after the fact. That A.) risks turnover with our backs up against our endzone, and the Ravens defense is certainly capable of coming up with the ball. B.) Incomplete pass's stop the clock, which means that gives Baltimore even more time go down the field if things go array, esp kicking from our endzone. You got to think of coaching strategy at that time, not after the fact. We did all we could and we gave the ball back into the hands of our D. We just got beat on 4 shitty offensive plays that resulted into us on our heels instead of having the killer instinct and that stems off of our goal-line stand a possession before that and I think that gassed us mentally.

Even with the lead, we needed more from the offense, esp when Reed misses 2 FG's and when our D forces 2 turnovers.
trust me...i was yelling throw the ball at the TV during that series, not after. it was pretty obvious they'd end up punting out of the back of the endzone, and very likely the rats would get the ball inside of our 50. maybe i had a flashback of the titans moving down the field in a matter of a few seconds and getting a legit shot at the endzone. ... :noidea:

PhantomJB93
10-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Arians killed a lot of drives with his incessant desire to throw a deep ball to Mike Wallace? Seriously, I feel like Batch threw one down the field to him at least once every drive, and of course none succeeded (except the one where Mike dropped it in the endzone, but I was honestly shocked that even came close to working because we had already ran that play like 3 or 4 times). I understand taking that shot once or twice but when it doesnt work, you need to know when to quit...

MasterOfPuppets
10-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Arians killed a lot of drives with his incessant desire to throw a deep ball to Mike Wallace? Seriously, I feel like Batch threw one down the field to him at least once every drive, and of course none succeeded (except the one where Mike dropped it in the endzone, but I was honestly shocked that even came close to working because we had already ran that play like 3 or 4 times). I understand taking that shot once or twice but when it doesnt work, you need to know when to quit...
i had no problem with the deep passes ...infact i complained when dixon started because he DIDN'T take any shots downfield...gotta keep the D honest and back the safety up.
if i'm not mistaken 2 of those 4 deep balls were free plays when the D jumped off sides. thats the best time to air it out ...:noidea:

SteelCurtain
10-04-2010, 02:41 AM

I completely agree with this. I think it worked twice last week so Arians felt it would work eventually this week. Well the Ravens prepared for that. Did you see the cushion they were giving Wallace, so that the CB could keep up with him on the deep ball? What happened to quick slants and quick outs? The quick slants used to work great for reefer boy and Wallace has the ability to do the same. If a guy is giving you a 10-15 yard cushion, then hit a quick slant to pick up 5-8 yards atleast. Make a move and your gone. I blame Arians for not realizing this and Batch. It's called an AUDIBLE Batch, use it. The Ravens killed us with the short passing game. We could have done the same. I hope Arians watches this game and takes some notes.

As for the D. The D played a great game, if you are any other team in the league. They didn't play like the Steeler's D that has showed up the rest of the season. We had no pressure on Uni Brow and he'll fold if you do. Polamalu was a nonfactor today and so was Harrison and Woodley. They got no pressure on him at all. Granted they did go against a good offensive line, but they are the best D in the league. I expected a little more from them. I'm not saying I wanted 9 sacks in the first half like the Giants did, but come on that was a pisspoor showing. The Raven's have some top notch wide receivers. If you don't put any pressure on the QB they will get open. The last drive we got beat on long passes because we tried to stop the quick outs that the Ravens had been doing all game, which suckered us in and WhoseYoMamma made a good move and beat BMac deep(Arians take note on how a real offensive coordinator makes calls).

People can say what they want about Arians. We had a 1000 yard Rusher, Receiver, and a 4000 yard passer last year. But that was INSPITE of Arians play calling. Ben and the receivers had such a great year because of their ability to improvise when a play breaks down. How often last year did we score on a play or have a gain on a big play that was a designed play? Not very often...

Jeff Reed missed two tough field goals. He gets paid a lot of money to make those, so I'm not gonna let him off easy. That being said it was a total team loss. Not one player. I blame the team to include everyone of the coaches...

Despite all that, we still should have won. This team is gonna be scary when Ben comes back and we start firing on all cylinders...

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 03:09 AM
I agree with play-action (or even a bubble screen)...I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for it all day. If anyone recorded the game I'd love for you to count the # of play-action calls on our part, I honestly don't remember one.

Funny. I was thinking a play action screen (both...lol). They should have done that for both second AND thrid down. There is a chance they could have gotten a first down.

They should have motivated them on the sidelines that some teams pray for a winning drive to seal the game. All they needed was a 10 yard gain to seal the game. This is where Gates...I mean Miller could have stepped up with a 7-8 yard catch.

zulater
10-04-2010, 06:47 AM
The penalties really murdered us. You just can't get penalized 3 times in 4 plays inside your own 10 yard line trying to ice the game.

If none of those penalties happen, Baltimore probably starts on their own 35 instead of our 40.

Yeah it's inexcusable for Kemo and Spaeth to take those sort of penalties, and to me that's what lost the game more than any other single factor. Remove either one of those and you have a managable 3rd down and you can use your entire playbook trying to convert the first down. In other words once you're backed into the corner at third and 10 from the 2 the risk is too high to pass against that defense. The chance of a sack, a holding penatly, or an interception are too great to risk doing anything other than running there. Of course the run play they did use there was almost as risky and almost cost a safety anyway. :doh:.

But regardless championship cailber teams shouldn't commit pre snap penalties in crucial situations at home. Kemo needs to get his head out of his ass.Damn it one first down and that game is over, and I'm convinced without those stupid penalties we would have made that first. that defense was there for the taking as evidenced by the previous 93 yard TD drive, it was just a matter of not shooting yourself in the foot! :banging:

zulater
10-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Funny. I was thinking a play action screen (both...lol). They should have done that for both second AND thrid down. There is a chance they could have gotten a first down.

They should have motivated them on the sidelines that some teams pray for a winning drive to seal the game. All they needed was a 10 yard gain to seal the game. This is where Gates...I mean Miller could have stepped up with a 7-8 yard catch.

WTF dude would you let it rest with Miller already?! :mad: I don't know of any other person alive that could have watched that game yesterday and the first thing that springs from their mind is that Heath Miller cost us the game?! Jeezus Christ did Heath run over your kitty or something? I've never seen such an obsession in my life against a quality player. :doh:

SacknificentStew56
10-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm still wondering why not have safety help that late in the game. I'm still blown over that weak move TJ did on BMac.

zulater
10-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm still wondering why not have safety help that late in the game. I'm still blown over that weak move TJ did on BMac.

Troy was blitzing. To the Ravens credit they were prepared with max protect that play, but I guess if there's something I'm dissapointed in it's that our linebackers couldn't beat their guy man up.

StainlessStill
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Troy was blitzing. To the Ravens credit they were prepared with max protect that play, but I guess if there's something I'm dissapointed in it's that our linebackers couldn't beat their guy man up.

The Ravens played a turtle offense all game. The Steelers defense, if they are going to give up yardage, we give it the way we gave it against Balty. Flacco was getting the ball out of his hands quick and took advantage of the Steelers underneath and middle. Our defense will give the those types of plays that forces teams into a short field and we dare tham to score. We are one of the best teams in tightening up inside our red-zone and we certainly put vice's on offense.

That last drive we were on our heels and mentally shaken. We were going to bend sometime after stopping Balty twice in the 4th but they forced us to drop mainly because we tried to take away their deep threats down field.

I'll be eager to see how teams like New England take it too us, since their whole game is the dink and dunk and are problematic offense's for our style of D.

ricardisimo
10-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Timmons, Hampton and Rashard were just about the only bright spots yesterday. It was also nice to see El redeem himself, although I still don't understand why he's our PR. :noidea:

That said, penalties are obviously on the players, but at some point they become a reflection of the coaching staff. The play-calling on both sides was a bit odd, and once again it seems obvious to me that Arians is a good OC, but an awful game manager.

At some point people have to realize that BMac is not the solution. It doesn't matter if he "never lets his guy get behind him" if he's regularly giving up all of the intermediate throws, and I mean every single one of them. Gay has had some problems with his confidence, and he'll never be Revis, but no one else ever will either, so... I think Gay or a future draft pick is going to be the answer.

Was I the only one who noticed just how shocked Ike seemed when he made the INT? I could swear he looked like he was going to cry at one point.

zulater
10-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Timmons, Hampton and Rashard were just about the only bright spots yesterday. It was also nice to see El redeem himself, although I still don't understand why he's our PR. :noidea:

That said, penalties are obviously on the players, but at some point they become a reflection of the coaching staff. The play-calling on both sides was a bit odd, and once again it seems obvious to me that Arians is a good OC, but an awful game manager.

At some point people have to realize that BMac is not the solution. It doesn't matter if he "never lets his guy get behind him" if he's regularly giving up all of the intermediate throws, and I mean every single one of them. Gay has had some problems with his confidence, and he'll never be Revis, but no one else ever will either, so... I think Gay or a future draft pick is going to be the answer.

Was I the only one who noticed just how shocked Ike seemed when he made the INT? I could swear he looked like he was going to cry at one point.

Don't forget Sepulveda, I think he kept us in that game to some extent. Damn shame on that penalty to Slyvester that took away ten yards on that last punt. Still that was totally clutch on Sepulveda's part.

But of course when you're trumping up the play of your punter the day after a game that tells you all you need to know. :doh:

kirklandrules
10-04-2010, 11:58 AM

That was pretty funny seeing how Ike reacted. I think he kept that ball. Maybe he'll start to get a little more confidence and make a habit out of catching the football. Well, probably not ...

StainlessStill
10-04-2010, 12:46 PM

I had to triple take and squint my eyes to see if that #24 jersey was deceiving me. After that, I cried.

thumper
10-04-2010, 12:59 PM

:thumbsup:

I agree 100%. I thought that "coach not to lose" crap was a time machine back
to Cowher days. God that sucked. Hearing the Ravens interviewed they said
they figured we'd be afraid to pass in that situation. Unfortunately, they were right.

eafratitpm3
10-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm no genius but when a CB is off of your receiver 10 yds why would you try and throw it past him instead of breaking off the route. There were at least two occasions when the CB covering Wallace was at least 10 yds off of him why not drive down the field 10-15 yds and break it off. I don't care how fast he is, he's not going to outrun a CB that's already 10 yds off of him.

NYC_Steeler
10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
I have to agree that the coaches share some of the blame. 3rd and 4 or 5 and they try for a 40 yard bomb. DUH! Troy blitzing at the end of the game when he should have been in coverage - and sure enough, McFadden gets burned. Really dumb coaching. They definitely get a share of the blame.

MasterOfPuppets
10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm no genius but when a CB is off of your receiver 10 yds why would you try and throw it past him instead of breaking off the route. There were at least two occasions when the CB covering Wallace was at least 10 yds off of him why not drive down the field 10-15 yds and break it off. I don't care how fast he is, he's not going to outrun a CB that's already 10 yds off of him.
indeed... the "genius" arians never try's to take advantage of the "soft" coverage , like other teams do to them. wallace should have had at least a half dozen 10 yard passes thrown his way.

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 11:06 PM
WTF dude would you let it rest with Miller already?! :mad: I don't know of any other person alive that could have watched that game yesterday and the first thing that springs from their mind is that Heath Miller cost us the game?! Jeezus Christ did Heath run over your kitty or something? I've never seen such an obsession in my life against a quality player. :doh:

LOL...Relax. I threw that in there for comedic effect.

I never said Heath cost us the game but you must admit though that it would have been helpful to have any one of the other top 15 TEs who can get open and create mismatches in the passing game. I never forgot Heap was playing but I forgot about Miller.

Anyway, I do like him...it just seems like I don't because my appraisal of him is not as high as you other guys. I'm not all up his ass saying the ways of a silent TE is ideal.

I might tease a little until he steps up and has a big game but don't take it personally (unless he is your brother). Have no fear. I think with Ben back he may have some good games (of course any of the better catching TEs could have even better games with Ben).

I'm a fair guy. I don't have vendettas. When we were in the preseason I was hard on ARE but since the season started, I have been impressed with his route running and I think he will be more productive when Ben gets back (I hope).

steelerchad
10-04-2010, 11:12 PM
have to disagree somewhat. blitzing troy P when we knew end zone shots were coming was just pure stupidity. we couldn't have gift wrapped that TD any better

That's just it, Lebeau gambled that they weren't going to go for the endzone on that play. They had worked it down the field and were still 18 yards away with 32 seconds left. I think he figured another underneath throw was coming with that much time and on 1st down. He dropped 7 into zones hopping he could snag a pick or Troy could make a splash play with a sack.

steelerchad
10-04-2010, 11:16 PM

Disagree somewhat here. Don't you remember how terrible Gay was trying to be the #2 corner? He couldn't cover and gave even more room than BMAC underneath. Both give a little too much cushion. The difference is BMAC is a sure tackler. He's there to take the receiver down immediatelty with authority. BMAC is just a more physical corner, Gay is good as a nickel.

SteelCityMom
10-05-2010, 01:10 AM
Jeezus Christ did Heath run over your kitty or something?

You say that like it might be a bad thing?

Oh wait...you're a dude. Carry on then! :popcorn:

MasterOfPuppets
10-05-2010, 01:16 AM

:sofunny: you just ain't right.

SteelKnight
10-05-2010, 01:53 AM

OMG...lol It took me like 4 seconds to figure it out...I had to see it was a female wo said it to understand. lol

steelrush
10-05-2010, 04:30 AM

Agree. Plus, you just can’t fail to capitalize on turnovers the way we did.

…and our apparent incapacity to field a good secondary as a whole. Especially cornerbacks. When Flacco threw it in the EZ and I saw McFadden being beaten that bad by T.J. Houshmandzadeh, I thought: oh my God, here we go again…:dang:
Poor coverage.