PDA

View Full Version : 3-1 isn't bad guys

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Despite the horrible performance today, we're tied for 1st in our division going into the bye, and Ben is coming back.

We played like shit today and still almost beat a good team. Ravens played tough but I'm convinced they aren't the better team, we will be back.

with that said, i have no freakin idea why lebeau blitzed #43 in that situation. we knew the ravens HAD to take shots at the end zone, and you take your best player in the secondary out of the play? good job dick. I support you but man, what a stupid call

BritishSteel
10-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I'd have taken 3-1 at the bye week before the season started - and always thought this would be the toughest game of the first 4, and despite that, we were only a few stupid penalties from winning this one too.

The manner of the loss today sticks in the throat because we should have gone in 4-0, but we're still well placed when Ben comes back in. We have to look better on O with him in there - and we'll win games like this once he's back.

Hayeksheroes
10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, this is true. Too bad we're not 4-0. You hate to give up games where you should have won. You don't want to lose at home. Games like this can come back to haunt you at the end of the season for playoff qualification and rank.

At least Le Beau is willing to call a blitz at the end of the game to win. Arians did not have the courage to call a pass play, like a slant to get a first down and close the game out.

SmashmouthFootball
10-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I am very happy with 3-1. We are in a good position going into the bye.

I am not happy with how we lost the game today though. Penalties, points left off the board, and a 40 second touchdown drive

theplatypus
10-03-2010, 04:16 PM
It sucked to lose today, but I'm ecstatic with being 3-1 without #7. Things should only get significantly better from here. If nothing else thanks to SCMom we don't have to read anymore of whatdoiknow's inane posts. See there's a silver lining to todays game after all.

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes, this is true. Too bad we're not 4-0. You hate to give up games where you should have won. You don't want to lose at home. Games like this can come back to haunt you at the end of the season for playoff qualification and rank.

At least Le Beau is willing to call a blitz at the end of the game to win. Arians did not have the courage to call a pass play, like a slant to get a first down and close the game out.

im all for blitzing but you don't blitz troy in that situation, especially when we already have harrison, woodley, and timmons. if they want a speed rush send gay, but troy? you keep your best player in the secondary defending the pass imo

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm pissed too, but this is absolutely correct.

Can't dwell on this game really anymore (at least I can't), and I hope the team doesn't either too much. Just fix the mistakes and get Ben ready to go and all will be good.

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm pissed too, but this is absolutely correct.

Can't dwell on this game really anymore (at least I can't), and I hope the team doesn't either too much. Just fix the mistakes and get Ben ready to go and all will be good.

true that. and looking on the bright side, at least we didn't lose to the browns like cincy did haha.

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 04:23 PM
true that. and looking on the bright side, at least we didn't lose to the browns like cincy did haha.

:rofl: Too true...that's gotta really sting.

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 04:24 PM
On a side note, I know not everyone is a hockey fan...but Wednesday can't come soon enough now! (Pens home opener).

That'll take some of the edge off for sure for me.

ZoneBlitzer
10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Arians played not to lose so consequently we didn't win. I would still like to see Arians fired.

StainlessStill
10-03-2010, 04:26 PM
We're fine. Noone gave us a shot to even win 2 games in the first 4. Bitter rival in Baltimore, taking Baltimore to the limit ANYHOW without Ben in the lineup, now with Ben coming back, regroup going into the BYE week, come back out and manhandle Cleveland. We'll be fine. Losing by only 3 with leaving points on the field is correctable. Ben will give us that X-factor game 2.

Being 3-1 is everything we could of asked for.

GMU Steeler
10-03-2010, 04:29 PM
We're also inspite of last year a team that gets better as the season goes along. Hope we clobber them when we're in Baltimore. I am not really that impressed by their team. Penalties, poor offensive play calling, and some bad luck is why we lost more than anything. The Ravens aren't a bad team but I still think we're the best of the AFC North.

DoctorCAD
10-03-2010, 04:30 PM
WRONG>>>>>>

We had this one.

Stupid play calling and stupid penalties in the last 2 minutes.

Why run directly into the middle of the line 3 plays and force your D (who thought Joe Montana was QB'ing) to win the game?

That was a pitiful display of coaching.

4 - 0 would make a HUGE difference. 3 - 1 Doesn't even put us in 1st place anymore.

I'M PISSED...

Haiku_Dirtt
10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Despite the horrible performance today, we're tied for 1st in our division going into the bye, and Ben is coming back.

We played like shit today and still almost beat a good team. Ravens played tough but I'm convinced they aren't the better team, we will be back.

with that said, i have no freakin idea why lebeau blitzed #43 in that situation. we knew the ravens HAD to take shots at the end zone, and you take your best player in the secondary out of the play? good job dick. I support you but man, what a stupid call

I wouldn't call it horrible. Never did it feel like we were in control.

Give Mason & Bouldin some credit.

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
WRONG>>>>>>

We had this one.

Stupid play calling and stupid penalties in the last 2 minutes.

Why run directly into the middle of the line 3 plays and force your D (who thought Joe Montana was QB'ing) to win the game?

That was a pitiful display of coaching.

4 - 0 would make a HUGE difference. 3 - 1 Doesn't even put us in 1st place anymore.

I'M PISSED...

Would you be more pleased with 1-3 and in a deep hole with Ben coming back, or are you at least content with 3-1 and in a good position to take the lead in our division back.

Good lord, we weren't going to go 16-0 you know? And most didn't even think this team could go 2-2. 3-1 is great with Dixon and Batch at QB.

Pierogiman
10-03-2010, 04:38 PM
It is what it is...I'm going to the beach! :wave:

Steel_Bus_24
10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Would you be more pleased with 1-3 and in a deep hole with Ben coming back, or are you at least content with 3-1 and in a good position to take the lead in our division back.

Good lord, we weren't going to go 16-0 you know? And most didn't even think this team could go 2-2. 3-1 is great with Dixon and Batch at QB.

I agree for the most part.....

its just that now we are behind in the division race

I'll root as hard as anybody for us to beat Balt at their home....and we'll have Ben back...but historically we can't win there......

This loss makes us pretty much have to sweep the Browns and Bengals to have a chance at the division

and win 3 of the 4 against the AFC East

A lot tougher task

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 04:47 PM
We can beat baltimore at their house, I'm really not that impressed with them.

Our offense will get a HUGE boost when Ben is back, and Mendenhall is doing great even when constantly seeing 8-9 in the box to stop the run. I'd like to see teams try that with Ben under center. I think our offense will be potent when Ben is back, and we will be dangerous.

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I agree for the most part.....

its just that now we are behind in the division race

I'll root as hard as anybody for us to beat Balt at their home....and we'll have Ben back...but historically we can't win there......

This loss makes us pretty much have to sweep the Browns and Bengals to have a chance at the division

and win 3 of the 4 against the AFC East

A lot tougher task

Yeah I know it's a little tougher now, but it's still early. Dixon almost beat the Ravens at home last year, and Ben pulled out a clincher in '08...so I have faith that they can do it again. It's only the 1st division game, so I'm not panicking yet.

SteelerinLA
10-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I agree. Who would have thought we would be 3-1 at this point, honestly? No one. We need help when it comes to the offense. Hats off to Mr. Batch, but he is not Ben. Ben brings another level of offense that I am looking forward to on Oct. 17th. :tt03:

fer522
10-03-2010, 04:57 PM
it's not about being 3-1 or 1-3 is the fact that we could have won the game and should have won the game but because again bruce is playing not to lose the game we end up not winning
in my eyes the ravens did not win the game
we lost the game:banging:
:wave:
:tt03:

theplatypus
10-03-2010, 05:07 PM
it's not about being 3-1 or 1-3 is the fact that we could have won the game and should have won the game but because again bruce is playing not to lose the game we end up not winning

BA didn't miss two field goals, BA didn't commit stupid penalty after stupid penalty. All of this bullshit about it's the coach's fault is just that, bullshit.

Stanley
10-03-2010, 05:13 PM
This was a bad loss.
It was a game that the Steelers should have won.
The Steelers would be 4-0 and the Ravens would have been 2-2 with two losses in the Division.
:pissed:

Curtain_of_Steel
10-03-2010, 05:51 PM
No doubt 3-1 is great and better than I thought at 2-2. However they had 4-0 in the bag, and had 3 penalties? 2 of which prohibited them from passing. Coaching blunders blitzing the last play when you need troy in the back as the underneath pass killed them all day long. thus opening up a gap down field.

I rather it have been a shut out and the raven beat us that way. Instead our bread and butter melted and crumbled.

plenewken
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Like I said 1 week ago, 3-1 after losing to the Ravens won't be good. I'd rather be 3-1 after beating the Ravens.
Now, we'll see how the Steelers with Ben react against Cleveland. They better bring their A game after this lousy display today.
After stinking up the joint last year in Chicago, Reed did it again today. Long term contract? I don't think so.
Thanks Arians for these gutsy calls in the 4th quarter. Play not to lose doesn't cut the mustard in the NFL anymore.
Killer penalties don't help either.
Oh and how many times are we gonna have to put up with a prevent defense that doesn't prevent anything?

SH-Rock
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Let's just say the Steelers lost due to problems everywhere. Offense, Defense, Kicker, OC etc

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
fire arians! lol

dcsteel5804
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
My take on the game is that this: More than the Ravens beat us, we beat ourselves.

Jeff Reed was horrible. I don't think he'll be around much longer if he keeps choking in like he did today. If you think back to when New England was winning Superbowls, Adam Vinitiari wasn't missing many field goal attempts that impacted the outcome of the game. Had Jeff made at least one of the attempts, the game would have went to over time, and had he made both, it would have been game over. Also, lets not forget the short kickoff that lead to the Ravens drive that took them all the way down to the 1 yard line, that set up our 3 and out, and the eventual game winning touchdown.

Obviously, penalties killed us as well. Our d-backs couldn't over Heap without fouling him and our offensive line likes to jump at the least opportune time. A microcosm of this was the last possesion where we were penalized 3 out of the 4 plays. That was sickening. Our O-Line needs to step up in those situations and today they came up really small.

I think one bright spot was our overall protection of Charlie Batch. I think he was only sacked 2 - 3 times. I know that not great, but many times he did have all day in the pocket. Also, though he only averaged around 3 yards per carry, Mendenhall had more room to run than I remember any Steelers running back having in a long time. I thought he ran it strong and show some speed when he was bouncing runs to the out side. Personally, it seemed to me that we had more success when the play was meant to be run to the inside and he bounced it out.

Overall, a pretty ugly game, probably the worst of the season, but we almost won despite all that. I think things will get better with Ben coming back and I still believe we're a legitimate playoff / Superbowl contender this year

cubanstogie
10-04-2010, 04:35 PM

I didn't hear anything about BA the last 2 weeks, and now his play calling the last drive lost the game. LMAO. Our strength with our 4th string QB in there is our D. BA didn't commit 3 penalties on our last offensive drive. We had a chance to win the game and went with our D stopping them as opposed to Charlie and company having to get a first down at our own goal line to win the game. Go with the odds plain and simple. Hats off to Ravens, they had a great drive. Am I dissappointed, yes but blaming BA is a joke and very tiring. If Charlie dropped back to pass and was sacked or picked you BA haters would be ripping him a new one.

fer522
10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I didn't hear anything about BA the last 2 weeks, and now his play calling the last drive lost the game. LMAO. Our strength with our 4th string QB in there is our D. BA didn't commit 3 penalties on our last offensive drive. We had a chance to win the game and went with our D stopping them as opposed to Charlie and company having to get a first down at our own goal line to win the game. Go with the odds plain and simple. Hats off to Ravens, they had a great drive. Am I dissappointed, yes but blaming BA is a joke and very tiring. If Charlie dropped back to pass and was sacked or picked you BA haters would be ripping him a new one.

Let Batch play he is being in the league for a very long time he KNOWS how to play the game
how many time did he THROW the ball not enough he never really tested those corners maybe BA thought REED was in the game who knows and by the way the other 2 of 3 games that we won our deffense pretty much won us those games not our offence and who is in charge of that offence B A so thank you