PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed

realdeal
10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Am I over reacting or should we bring some new kickers in this week! Is this guy hung over?? What about that short kick to the 35?? This idiot cost us the game!!

StainlessStill
10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
How quickly we forget. Jeff Reed was a huge and monumental to our success the first couple weeks. Hell, he even led the team with the most points leading into Week 3.

Thing is, he BARELY missed a 49 yard field goal in the swirling winds of the open end of Heinz Field. The second 45 yarder was even harder, and he actually kicked the ball where he thought he should but there was less wind and it didn't carry. Those are very tough kicks to make in Heinz, esp in that wind so even though I hold Reed responsible, consider that we had our chances on offense. Reed had a bad game but those kicks weren't gimmes by no means.

But I DO agree on that kickoff to the 35. It actually looked designed, maybe giving our kick units time to cover, but the wind was tough today so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Am I over reacting or should we bring some new kickers in this week! Is this guy hung over?? What about that short kick to the 35?? This idiot cost us the game!!

Yeah...sorry. Not gonna happen.

Atlanta Dan
10-03-2010, 08:27 PM
National media is starting to take note of Skippy's problems based upon this comment by Don Banks with SI

Just asking, but when exactly will Steelers kicker Jeff Reed start feeling a little job insecurity in the wake of missing a couple more field goals, this time in the loss to the Ravens? Reed is now just 8-of-12 on the year, and he missed a couple tries in Pittsburgh's 15-9 season-opening overtime win against Atlanta -- an extra period the Steelers maybe wouldn't have found necessary if Reed had converted.

I know Heinz Field is the Bermuda Triangle for NFL kickers, but Reed has made just three of seven field goals at home this season, and that's usually a very bad career move. Reed missed only four field goals at home all of last season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/10/03/week4.snaps/index.html?eref=sihp

Reed's shortcomings as a kicker and person previously were accepted since he was money at Heinz - not any more - at a minimum his contract position has taken a major hit

SteelCityMom
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Reed's shortcomings as a kicker and person previously were accepted since he was money at Heinz - not any more - at a minimum his contract position has taken a major hit

That I agree with. Either that or they just don't offer him one and bring someone new in next season.

No way do they can him now though and bring someone else in. Just not gonna happen.

fer522
10-03-2010, 08:45 PM
we do not wanna can him but 3 out of 7 at home!
gotta keep our options open though

btaylor
10-03-2010, 09:03 PM
he sucks......too busy trying to be cool

SteelMusic
10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Honestly, my wife even noticed how he chokes when he needs to hit a big one. I can think all the way back to Chicago last year.

Skippy needs to pull his head out of his ass. I was at Grille 36 and there wasn't that much wind. I say put some heat under his ass.

Fire Arians
10-03-2010, 09:16 PM
so much for a new contract for him. he doesn't deserve it. if he wants top dollar, he has to win us games, not lose them

granted those 2 fg's he missed weren't chip shots by any means, but this guy is asking to be one of the highest paid kickers in the league. If he wants that, he better be clutch or kiss his ass goodbye

casteeler
10-03-2010, 09:24 PM
This has been discussed on this forums before and usually the bulk of the comments have been positive(in favor of Reed) , we have had several very good years out of Reed.With all that said it's time to explore other options as kicking is concerned, we should look at this from a reliability standpoint.... sure this loss isn't all Jeff Reeds fault but a veteran kicker who has kicked in Hines field for a while now needs to be more dependable in a game like this where everyone who knows the situation also knows every point counts.Can we really afford 2 missed field goal a game?

stb_steeler
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Ya have to admit, the second one looked like he kicked it with his knee! My wife said the same thing, maybe he's hung over. :noidea:

ricksteelers55
10-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I love how most of the people think we cant find a replacement for him.He's so clutch that most of his fan would say.Truth is he cost us more games that he's won us lately.Yes it's tough to kick in heinz field and yes he was very solid for us but truth is he demands top dollars and doesnt get the job done since last year.The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have found a kicker in december I think last year or 2 years ago(Connor Barth) and is apparently very solid so why not us ? I say we draft one next year and invite 1 or 2 in camp.We keep one on Practice Squad and when ready we cut ties with Reed.

steelerohio
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't think it will happen, but I would be fine if we can bring a new kicker during the bye weeks and let him go... not making field goals you need to make in a division game nonetheless is a problem... :mad:

I hope he straightens up though and make them if we do indeed keep him.

cloppbeast
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Kickers are like cars. Nobody seems to notice when they perform well, but if they break down even once all of the sudden they need replaced.

steeltheone
10-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Im not worried about Reed right now, Those were long field goals.

SteelKnight
10-04-2010, 02:29 AM
He will certainly be less arogant now when it comes to is new contract. If he really wants to leave, Bye...he's a kicker.

pete74
10-04-2010, 03:27 AM
so much for a new contract for him. he doesn't deserve it. if he wants top dollar, he has to win us games, not lose them

granted those 2 fg's he missed weren't chip shots by any means, but this guy is asking to be one of the highest paid kickers in the league. If he wants that, he better be clutch or kiss his ass goodbye

agreed, if he wants to be paid as one of the best he needs to play as one of the best and he isnt anywere near that

trilogique
10-04-2010, 03:41 AM
the kicker can be blamed all you want, but he wouldn't even be out there if the Steelers converted more. you can place the blame on anyone you want, but that won't negate the loss. Jeff Reed is a good kicker. not amazing, but good. Cundiff missed it too and I'm sure a lot of other kickers have as well. I agree about the pricing, though. if he wants top dollar he better be a god.

and agreed with

Kickers are like cars. Nobody seems to notice when they perform well, but if they break down even once all of the sudden they need replaced.

zulater
10-04-2010, 05:39 AM
I wish Batch could have avoided that 7 yard sack that preceeded the one missed field goal. Ben gets crucified for losing field position like that all the time, I know CB is a back-up, but he's a veteran, you almost knew it was going to end up as a one score game, that lost 7 yards was huge.

zulater
10-04-2010, 05:41 AM
I don't think it will happen, but I would be fine if we can bring a new kicker during the bye weeks and let him go... not making field goals you need to make in a division game nonetheless is a problem... :mad:

I hope he straightens up though and make them if we do indeed keep him.

Yeah right because there's all kinds of unemployed kickers who can come into Heinz and do a better job than Reed. :doh:

SacknificentStew56
10-04-2010, 08:28 AM

This is an understatement. Jeff will pick it back up. There were numerous things that killed us yesterday (which I really don't want to mention again) but what's done is done. I believe this bye week will get us back on track. :tt03:

StainlessStill
10-04-2010, 08:47 AM
You know, it's always that second day where I get pissed over the game. We had Baltimore right where we wanted them and I'm already looking forward to our re-match to show those frauds who owns.

With that said, people like to blame Jeff Reed. Fine.

But it's our offense who gets paid even MORE millions to put the ball in the endzone. The Defense gave the offense 2 turnovers in the Ravens end of the field and we came out with a whopping 2 yards of offense and 0 points. Those field goals weren't extra points. I hate when people blame Reed, he did his part but if we score like we're supposed to do, we don't have to be worrying about Reed kicking 50 yarders in the wind, nevermind at the open end of the end zone. We shot ourselves in the foot as a team.

steelax04
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I take more issue with the fact that he had to attempt those long field goals after the incredible field position the defense gave the offense.

One drive started at the Baltimore 27 and one at the 33... and both were three and outs (FG attempts)...

SteelCityMom
10-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I take more issue with the fact that he had to attempt those long field goals after the incredible field position the defense gave the offense.

One drive started at the Baltimore 27 and one at the 33... and both were three and outs (FG attempts)...

Yeah, that's what pissed me off too, especially the first one that would have been an easier 41 yard attempt had Batch not taken an 8 yard sack on 3rd down. WTF. Batch needed to be smarter there and throw the ball away.

Steelerfreak58
10-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Sorry! No one wants to talk about that! Its all Reeds fault for the loss don't you know....:doh:

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Jeff Reed comming into this game was the number 1 kicker in the NFL. I know right? Even after 2 misses in the Falcans game. Kickers aren't perfect, even kickers who went perfect during the season screwed up in the post season. Kicker, like quarterbacks, will lose the game for a team... No matter how many times Ben has thrown a last minute interception, Steeler fans have stayed behind him as he threw last minute touchdowns. Reed will lose some games, but he's the kicker for atleast the rest of this season, so stick with him, he'll pull the team through some victories too.

plenewken
10-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Reed has been less than flawless so far this season but the offense couldn't convert the opportunities that the defense gave them earlier in the game. Reed isn't the only reason we lost yesterday. A 49yds FG in the open end of Heinz Field is no gimme.
This being said, I think he can k*ss goodbye to a long term contract.

Corey120120
10-04-2010, 03:30 PM
We need to put a paper towel machine in the middle of the net, then he'll hit it

Steelerfreak58
10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
We need to put a paper towel machine in the middle of the net, then he'll hit it

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

fer522
10-04-2010, 03:59 PM
3 of 7 in HIS house just not acceptable
we should go get Martin Gramatica :rofl: :rofl:

cloppbeast
10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I hope you guys aren't being serious. Jeff Reed is one of the better kickers in the league.

Threads like these make me feel a little bad for kickers. When they make kicks, hardly anybody takes notice, because that's what they're supposed to do. Missing kicks is the only way for kickers to get noticed.

When we win games because Reed makes his field goals and the other team misses theirs, well that just means the Steelers are better. But when we lost a game the same way, it means Jeff Reed sucks. I'll never understand that logic.

Anyway, Reed is a decent kicker. He plays in 8 games or more every year in the hardest stadium to kick in and he still usually ends up at the end of the year as one of the highest percentage kickers in the league.

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 04:56 PM
3 of 7 in HIS house just not acceptable
we should go get Martin Gramatica :rofl: :rofl:

Gramatica can atleast tackle on kick offs lol. Whatever happened to him, he was one of the top kickers in the NFL for a couple years, then just like fell off the wagon

ETL
10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Here in Chicago, the local sports stations are saying how thankful they are that they have Robbie Gould and not Jeff Reed. They mention how the steelers should be 4-0 if Reed hits those FGs and how Reed has cost them at least 3 games over the past year including the game against the Bears last year.

We're getting crapped on by Bear fans.

Corey120120
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

thank you, haha

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Get him his contract extension NOW. Back up the Kordell Stewart truck of cash for him already.

SteelCityMom
10-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Here in Chicago, the local sports stations are saying how thankful they are that they have Robbie Gould and not Jeff Reed. They mention how the steelers should be 4-0 if Reed hits those FGs and how Reed has cost them at least 3 games over the past year including the game against the Bears last year.

We're getting crapped on by Bear fans.

Lol...after that game last night, I think they have bigger things to worry about than the Steelers kicker (or their own for that matter).

9 sacks in one half and Cutler out with a concussion? Aren't they worried at all about why their own team isn't 4-0? I guess after that showing they'd rather talk about other teams problems...I know I would.

JEFF4i
10-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Hmm. We'll see.

NYC_Steeler
10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
I've never been a big fan of Reed's: his poor kickoffs last year were legendary and don't get me started about his National Fairy League tackling - this is not touch football. Sepulveda can tackle AND kick. Kickers this year seem to be missing alot of chip shots - so it's not just Heinz Field. Don't know whether they all drink the same Kool-Aid or what.

steelerohio
10-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm over it... it's not all Reed's fault for the loss. But those kicks still would have helped...

:noidea:

fer522
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
fire Arians :rofl::rofl:
sorry but i had to say it:wave:

LVSteelersfan
10-04-2010, 09:06 PM
If Reed is so much money as so many of you keep saying in Heinz Field then a 45 yarder should be easy for him. The 49 yard one I can understand but the closer one was not even close. And he cost us huge field position on that last kickoff. That cost us the game pretty much more than any other part of his game. That is the main reason we got pinned so far back on our last possession. Why can he kick it into the end zone accept at the most critical parts of the game. And don't even try to tell me that he did it on purpose. No one kicks the ball to the 17 yard line on purpose and gives the opposing team a running start at a line drive kick. He just blew it on that one. And why is it that almost every other kicker we play against nails the ball into the end zone on almost every kickoff? Reed is a joke.

stb_steeler
10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
C'mon guys show me sum luv.....ahhh huh!

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/jeff_reed_krtphotoslive340928-SPORT.jpg