PDA

View Full Version : Michael Oher

jjpro11
10-03-2010, 08:03 PM
first off, this isn't an excuse thread, so don't take it that way.. we lost the game all by ourselves.

it seemed like Oher was either getting off the snap incredibly fast or was false starting. the group of us watching the game stood up and shouted false start on numerous occasions, but nothing was ever called. was it just us? we were at a sports bar with a large HD projector screen.. i didn't have the clearest view of the screen like i do when i am home, so maybe we just didn't see it clearly.

theplatypus
10-03-2010, 08:16 PM
There were a couple times when I thought the same thing, but just assumed that his reactions are that good.

Atlanta Dan
10-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I saw the same thing and once I noticed it i started watching for it - I do not believe it is a matter of his reactions being that good

But as was stated to start the thread that is not me looking for an excuse - the play of the D after the Steelers went up 14-10 brought back bad memories of 2008

pancake
10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I saw the same thing and once I noticed it i started watching for it - I do not believe it is a matter of his reactions being that god

the group I was watching the game with noticed it too... There were like 2 or 3 in the 4th quarter alone.

1/28/01
10-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Dudes just that good

SteelCurtain
10-04-2010, 02:20 AM
I did the same thing...That being said. I think the dude's good. He kept Harrison in check the entire game. Wish we had him...

trilogique
10-04-2010, 02:59 AM
in the end things balance out. even if there were a few false starts, what about the PI penalty that should have been called on Gay (I think it was him) on that 4th and goal? obviously it all proved irrelevant since we won, but penalties generally balance out.

Oher is a beast, nothing more, nothing less.

and it was a good game regardless.

DanRooney
10-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Eh I think we beat Baltimore pretty comfortably when returns barring any significant injury to our defense. They didn't impress me in any phase of the game.

When your so-called SB bound team is a first down/30 seconds away from losing to a 4th string QB, you know you've got problems.

trilogique
10-04-2010, 03:19 AM
that argument is ridiculous. Charlie is still a pro. any team can lose on any day. surely you remember the embarrassing losses the Steelers had last year? I mean no disrespect, but c'mon. good teams lose to bad teams all the time. packers almost lost to the lions. saints almost lost to the panthers. indy lost to the jaguars. bengals lost to the browns. are all these teams suddenly crappy and have problems? everyone in the league is pro for a reason.

I'm not sure many Ravens fans think we're bound for a SB, either. if they are, they're delusional. we still have offensive and defensive work to do.

kirklandrules
10-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Oher had 4 false starts. It's completely ridiculous the refs couldn't flag him for even 1 (can't even complain about all the holding penalties that were missed because that's a weekly occurrence). Guess the refs couldn't see that 360 lbs guy on the end of the line jumping early.

But I have to say the Steelers appeared completely flat. I kept saying this game wasn't going our way and in the end ... it didn't. 3-1 without our starting QB is pretty respectable. A week off and the Brownies next should help get Ben ready to win some games.

jjpro11
10-04-2010, 06:57 AM
it just better not happen again next time when we play them. once he realized he could get away with it the first time or two, he just kept doing it all game. i've watched some of the best tackles of all-time, nobody ever got off the line that fast without moving early. plenty of people noticed it for those not to be false starts. he's good, but not THAT good.

eafratitpm3
10-04-2010, 07:15 AM
I noticed the same thing. I have the game taped and I will be watching it in slow motion this week to check it out. I'm not even sure if this is something that the Red flag can be thrown on, I'm guessing it isn't.

Atlanta Dan
10-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Ed Bouchette noticed it as well, asking in his PG+ blog this morning (pay site so no link) if Oher gets a special dispensation for false starts because he was the subject of a hit movie

But as noted by others, Oher is an excellent OT and his false starts were the not the reason the game was lost

eafratitpm3
10-04-2010, 07:24 AM
There were a couple plays that his false starts would have affected especially late in the game. No excuses we lost but penalties have an affect on a team, it sure affected us.

SacknificentStew56
10-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Oher had a head start alot in the game but the refs didn't catch him.

steelax04
10-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I was yelling at the TV all game for a flag... I saw at least 4 in the 4th quarter.

SteelCityMom
10-04-2010, 09:18 AM
that argument is ridiculous. Charlie is still a pro. any team can lose on any day. surely you remember the embarrassing losses the Steelers had last year? I mean no disrespect, but c'mon. good teams lose to bad teams all the time. packers almost lost to the lions. saints almost lost to the panthers. indy lost to the jaguars. bengals lost to the browns. are all these teams suddenly crappy and have problems? everyone in the league is pro for a reason.

I'm not sure many Ravens fans think we're bound for a SB, either. if they are, they're delusional. we still have offensive and defensive work to do.

I agree...any given Sunday.

But I'll never admit the Bungles are a good team. :chuckle:

I thought Oher did a good job yesterday. There may have been a couple of missed calls, but that's going to happen every game. Just gotta roll with it. Ben will be back and the D will be at full strength and completely healthy after the bye, so anything is possible after that!

Lord of Lombardi
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Fat ole blind side was off sides often. Looks like all of us noticed that. I too don't want to blame the refs because I hate when the ratbirds do that. That shows weakness and let's leave the crying up to the Brown stains and Bungholes. (Ever notice that their call names have a similar thing in common)

The refs allowed it early and it pretty much set the tone for the rest of the game. I thought the refs sent a sign early on to the Black N Gold. It looked one sided early on. Did we end up paying for a suspension that did not look like it would hurt our organization if we went 4-0? We'll see them again. They know who we are with Big Ben

Did Troy play yesterday? He had an off day. Simmons is now officially a Bad Ass.

pete74
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Oher did an awesome job and thats the end of the story. no need to find reasons why we lost. he is a great LT and shut Harrison down all day. Gay could of been called for pass inteferance at the end but nobody is talking about that. Oher is istremly quick off the snap

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
When teams play away games in stadiums where it is extremely loud, they have silent counts. This means the players don't wait for the ball to move, they wait till the play clock hits a certain number which gives them a much better reaction time. Refs will not call false start if its by a couple mili seconds due to back in 2004 or 2005 there was a defensive tackle who got extremely good jumps on defense, like he was moving as soon as the ball moved, and kept getting called for offsides though on replay he was never offsides, but you can't challenge a penalty

jjpro11
10-04-2010, 02:29 PM
he was getting off the line early.. all the football games i have ever watched, no tackle ever got off the snap like that. if you watch just the highlights on NFL.com, you can see it for yourself. it wasn't why we lost the game, Woodley should have stepped up his game on the other side of the line.. but it's something i don't want to see next time we play them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, he jumped the snap count a few times. I still wish we traded up to get him 2 years ago instead of Ziggy Hood. Heck, with our 2nd pick we took Urbik in the 3rd and I'd trade Urbik and Hood for Oher any day.

eafratitpm3
10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I just watched the game again and the only questionable one was in the 4th Quarter with 4:12 left, he moved early. It was 2 & 8 and the penalty would have negated a completion to Heap and a 1st down. As stated earlier this isn't why we lost the game but you never know what would have happened.

SteelMember
10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, he jumped the snap count a few times. I still wish we traded up to get him 2 years ago instead of Ziggy Hood. Heck, with our 2nd pick we took Urbik in the 3rd and I'd trade Urbik and Hood for Oher any day.

remember, you can't trade Urbik anymore.

He sucked so much, 5 teams wanted him when we released him. :doh:

zulater
10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I just watched the game again and the only questionable one was in the 4th Quarter with 4:12 left, he moved early. It was 2 & 8 and the penalty would have negated a completion to Heap and a 1st down. As stated earlier this isn't why we lost the game but you never know what would have happened.

Actually he jumped early twice where it wasn't called. The first one would have been declined anyway because that was on Ike's interception.

The second one was huge though. He moved a full second before the snap, how the ref missed it i don't know, and had it been called everything from that point on changes. Instead of the Ravens having first and goal at the eight they should have had second and 13 at the 24. There aint a helluval lot of good play calls you can make on 2nd and 13 against the Steelers defense. Who knows if that is called correctly the Ravens might have been forced to kick the field goal. Had they kicked the fg do they kick it away or go for the onsides kick?

It was a terrible non call, inexcusable, and it without question changed the complexion of the game thereafter.

Also speaking of non calls, flacco should have been flagged for intentional grounding right before the fg at the end of the half. Their kicker could have easily missed if you tack on the 6 or 7 yards that should have been assessed from the spot of the foul. :banging:

SteelersNation
10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
C'mon guys! Stop making up all these excuses and just accept the fact that the Steelers lost.

There are missed calls/bad calls ALL THE TIME. And every homer fan thinks there is a conpiracy against their team when it happens. It sucks but its part of life.

Lets just suck this one up and move on. We got beat, end of story.

NYC_Steeler
10-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Michael Oher is simply a really good player - esp for someone his size. Fast reflexes and fast feet in a big body - the guy is awesome. I only wish we had him on our O-line.

zulater
10-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Michael Oher is simply a really good player - esp for someone his size. Fast reflexes and fast feet in a big body - the guy is awesome. I only wish we had him on our O-line.

Yeah and he should have been flagged for procedure on the play I cited. It's not even close. Holding and interference are subjective calls, illegal procedure, particuarly when it's that blatant, isn't. You either moved before the snap or didn't, he did, an 11 yard gain should have been negated and instead of first and goal at the 8 it should have been 2nd and 13 from the 24.

Does that mean the Steelers would have won if it's called correctly? :noidea: But it was an inexcusable miss by the officials nonetheless.

Oh yeah while I'm at it, Flacco should have been flagged for intentional grounding on the play before the field goal at the end of the first half. That 6 or 7 yard difference could have made that a missed field goal.

Oh well.

NYC_Steeler
10-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Yeah and he should have been flagged for procedure on the play I cited. It's not even close. Holding and interference are subjective calls, illegal procedure, particuarly when it's that blatant, isn't. You either moved before the snap or didn't, he did, an 11 yard gain should have been negated and instead of first and goal at the 8 it should have been 2nd and 13 from the 24.

Does that mean the Steelers would have won if it's called correctly? :noidea: But it was an inexcusable miss by the officials nonetheless.

Oh yeah while I'm at it, Flacco should have been flagged for intentional grounding on the play before the field goal at the end of the first half. That 6 or 7 yard difference could have made that a missed field goal.

Oh well.

When we lose everyone seems to nitpick at the missed officiating calls, when we win no one gives a rat's ass. If we hadn't made 3 penalties on our last drive and punt, and had at least converted a 1st down, we would've won. If we hadn't blown the coverage on Flacco's last throw, we would've won. If, if, if, and more ifs. If we had played better, we would've won, PERIOD. Stop blaming the officials already. We blew it, end of story. Michael Oher is extremely talented and he would've been an incredible asset on our team. Does he make mistakes? Sure, but so does everyone else.

zulater
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
When we lose everyone seems to nitpick at the missed officiating calls, when we win no one gives a rat's ass. If we hadn't made 3 penalties on our last drive and punt, and had at least converted a 1st down, we would've won. If we hadn't blown the coverage on Flacco's last throw, we would've won. If, if, if, and more ifs. If we had played better, we would've won, PERIOD. Stop blaming the officials already. We blew it, end of story. Michael Oher is extremely talented and he would've been an incredible asset on our team. Does he make mistakes? Sure, but so does everyone else.

I'm not using it as an excuse, I'm not claiming a conspiracy or fix, I'm merely stating fact.

Sometime the call goes your way sometimes it doesn't, this time it didn't.

btw I'm not saying Oher isn't talented, but he rose early on that play, the ref shouldn't have missed it, but he did, and that's the end of it.

zulater
10-05-2010, 05:15 PM

Oh quit whining, Ziggy's going to be a helluva player.

rick723
10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
the group I was watching the game with noticed it too... There were like 2 or 3 in the 4th quarter alone.

Every play on the last drive too, I was screaming false start too. Also screamed holding a few times when he held Harrison

SoCalFan
10-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I counted at least 4x he jumped???Just dont know why line judge did not see it?I will watch replay tonight and get an actual count!

Corey120120
10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh quit whining, Ziggy's going to be a helluva player.

I agree i think he is going to be amazing

pete74
10-06-2010, 04:14 AM
its insane how some of you try to make excuses for a loss. if you want to blame the loss on Oher being a second early then why not talk about Gay's pass interferance. that would of given the ravens 1st and goal.

we all still tear up on Seahawk fans for making excuses to why they lost to us in the super bowl and now were doing the exact same thing

baltimore played really well and Flacco did a great job picking our secondary apart. if Ben was there im sure it would of been a much different game but he wasnt.

zulater
10-06-2010, 05:58 AM
its insane how some of you try to make excuses for a loss. if you want to blame the loss on Oher being a second early then why not talk about Gay's pass interferance. that would of given the ravens 1st and goal.

Oher's penalty preceeded that play, that play never happens if Oher's illegal procedure call is called as it should have been. Besides interference is subjective, just like holding is. No one's bitching about the suspect holding call against Heath Miller that destroyed an earliar drive. But illegal procedure is cut and dried, if an offensive linemans movement preceeds the snap it's a penalty. sometimes the margin is razor thin and it's easy to see how it's missed. But on the play I've been discussing it was very pronounced, it's inexcusable that it was missed. Not offering any conspiracy theories or claiming bias, it was simply a poor job by the line judge on that play. I can't say it cost the Steelers the victory, but I can certainly say if it would have been called correctly every play from that point on would have been different.

we all still tear up on Seahawk fans for making excuses to why they lost to us in the super bowl and now were doing the exact same thing

Couple difference's. First we're( or at least I am) are making our observations on a Steelers message board. If I was going on an NFL site or a Ravens site and saying this perhaps it could be construed as whining? but even then I would beg to differ, because in the case of SB XL replay actually confirms all the calls were correct except for the penalty against Hasselback on the interception return. In this case for anyone who actually bothers to rewatch the game Oher most certainly did move early on the play that got the Ravens down to our 8 yard line.

]baltimore played really well and Flacco did a great job picking our secondary apart. if Ben was there im sure it would of been a much different game but he wasnt.

I've never claimed otherwise. I simply have stated that there were a few blown calls that went against us. It adds to the frustration level perhaps, but so what, I think you've got a 72 hour window to blow off steam after a loss. And that's all anyone is doing.

WTF Pete, it's a message board, we're fans, we're allowed to be imperfect.