PDA

View Full Version : Of course, it was Arians fault

mesaSteeler
10-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Of course, it was Arians fault

Monday, October 04, 2010 08:15 AM
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/24052-of-course-it-was-arians-fault

(My online chat at PG+ will begin at noon today. Here is the link: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/bob-smizik-chat

Foolish me. I walked away from the Steelers-Ravens game yesterday savoring the high drama, enjoying the fierce competition and chalking it up to one of those days when the other team just had a bit more.

Call me, Mr. Na´ve.

When am I going to learn that the blame for these defeats rest almost solely with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians? As one commenter posted on the game blog:

''Unbelievable how BA can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.''

And here I thought it was Joe Flacco and P. J. Houshmandzadeh who did that on a touchdown pass with less than a minute remaining that gave the Ravens a 17-14 win.

But the definitive take on the offensive coordinator were these words from a commenters specifically addressed to Arians.

''The defense goes out and creates two turnovers for your squad in the second half. You can't even get a first down, let alone any points.''

Again, my bad. I totally missed Arians suiting up and failing to get the crucial first down.

Was it a pass or a run?

These two commenters weren't the only ones who believe Arians was the reason for the defeat. Many did.

We've been down this road before. If the offensive coordinator is all powerful, what does that say about all those great Steelers defenses we've lauded over the years?

Have they only been so great because the other team had inferior game-planning and play-calling?

I think not.

The Baltimore defense did an outstanding job yesterday. They've done it before and they'll do it again.

Attempts to blame Arians for the Steelers failing to capitalize on two third-quarter turnovers are preposterous and anyone who believes that has no understanding of football.

On the first, with the Steelers starting on the Baltimore 27, Arians called two runs and a pass. The runs got three yards and the passing play resulted in a sack.

How is that Arians fault?

Following the second turnover, the Steelers took over on the Baltimore 33. Incompletion, run for 1 yard, incompletion.

How is that Arians fault?

Football is a game more of execution that strategy. Baltimore unexecuted the Steelers.

What some fans don't seem to understand is that not only is there another team on the field, that team actually plays a roll in the outcome of the game.

It's not all about Bruce Arians and the offense and Dick LeBeau and the defense. The other team has coordinators and players, too.

When the Steelers win, does anyone ever say the victory was achieved because the other team was guilty of bad play-calling?

I don't think. They say it was because the Steelers were better.

And yesterday Baltimore was better.

kirklandrules
10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Can't blame Arians nor any specific individual (Reed included). I stated it in every quarter in yesterday's game ... "The Steelers look really flat today.". This team did not seem to be up for the game. It wasn't total ineptitude, but they just didn't seem to have that fire they have shown all year. I'd rather say this sitting at 3-1 with our starting QB coming back to play the Browns in 2 weeks than after a 5 game losing streak.

Stu Pidasso
10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
"Team actually plays a roll" ?

My God, these people need a lesson in spellchecking/grammar 101.

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
"Team actually plays a roll" ?

My God, these people need a lesson in spellchecking/grammar 101.

So the person mistaked "roll" for "role" it happens to the best of us, no reason to totally hate the post because of 1 grammer mistake.

ZoneBlitzer
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Here's my problem with Arians. It's his management of situational football. You can take it back to the very first possession of the game when the offense went predictably 3 and out. The Ravens knew that you have to run to protect your QB and your woeful passing game so you come out running into that wall. Would it kill you to do a quick 3 step drop pass or a play action pass on first down? Instead it was two runs, missed pass and punt. Run, run, pass punt. That's Arians in a nutshell.

When they got the ball deep in Baltimore territory, they did the same. I knew the game was over right there in the third quarter when the offense misguided by Arians walked away with little time off the clock and no points.

Arians just has a bad feel for the game.

steelax04
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
So the person mistaked "roll" for "role" it happens to the best of us, no reason to totally hate the post because of 1 grammer mistake.

Actually, it was the "journalist" that swapped the words... I have to expect a little better from those that write for a living. That's just me, though.

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Actually, it was the "journalist" that swapped the words... I have to expect a little better from those that write for a living. That's just me, though.

I know English majors who have small screw ups like that ... I just don't like how people discredit someone because they make 1 mistake. Like their whole arguement is in shambles because they made a spelling mistake or something.

stb_steeler
10-04-2010, 12:40 PM
2 field goals made and we wouldnt be discussing this right now, not to mention couldnt get a first down to run out the clock. Opposing team had no time outs left. Amazing!

stuck_in_VA
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
What can't be overlooked is the gift (2 gifts) Baltimore gave us: one fumble recovery and one interception - both in Ravens territory. All we had to do was pick up some yards to at least have better field position for a field goal. Those were two gifts that should have given us at least 6 points on the board. THAT was on Arians. Perhaps the game would have unfolded differently, but to basically waste away points is troubling with the talent we have on this team.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Not Ba's fault. Batch couldn't handle it. All he had to do was put the ball out past Wallce and let him run under it. He beat the corner all day long and Batch under threw it. That will not be happening in the weeks to come!
Leftwhich should've been in when they seen that mismatch, Wallace owned that guy deep.

Def has to stop playing prevent in the late minutes, than blitz with a prevent on, that killed it and left a huge hole the titantic could've floated through, when it didn;t have the hole in it of course.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I'll go with the flow. Fire Arians. :chuckle:

SteelKnight
10-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Here's my problem with Arians. It's his management of situational football. You can take it back to the very first possession of the game when the offense went predictably 3 and out. The Ravens knew that you have to run to protect your QB and your woeful passing game so you come out running into that wall. Would it kill you to do a quick 3 step drop pass or a play action pass on first down? Instead it was two runs, missed pass and punt. Run, run, pass punt. That's Arians in a nutshell.

When they got the ball deep in Baltimore territory, they did the same. I knew the game was over right there in the third quarter when the offense misguided by Arians walked away with little time off the clock and no points.

Arians just has a bad feel for the game.

Yeah. I know what you mean. Arians tries to be unconventional but the team fails to execute.

When they had that 3rd and 4 (after the penalty), they should have changed the pass to a shorter play...maybe to Heath Miller. Instead they went for it all. They should have at least gotten in better FG range before trying that.

At the end of the game, they should have had some package...Redman, screens, anything to get them 10 yards to seal the game. It's ridiculous. Some teams pray for winning drives. All we needed was 1 first down.

It is about situational football. He needs to practice more on that. He needs to use more screens. In all 3 situations (both turnovers and end of the game) a screen was appropriate.

btaylor
10-05-2010, 03:11 PM
don't forget it seemed everytime we were in 3rd and 5 or less Charlie was trying to throw a bomb.....didn't understand that

cloppbeast
10-05-2010, 03:32 PM
"The Steelers look really flat today."

wtf does that even mean?

cloppbeast
10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
What can't be overlooked is the gift (2 gifts) Baltimore gave us: one fumble recovery and one interception - both in Ravens territory. All we had to do was pick up some yards to at least have better field position for a field goal. Those were two gifts that should have given us at least 6 points on the board. THAT was on Arians. Perhaps the game would have unfolded differently, but to basically waste away points is troubling with the talent we have on this team.

I disagree with you completely. Those "gifts" you speak of were part of the game plan. The plan was to play conservatively, stay patient throughout the game, and eventually an aggressive Ravens team will make mistakes. Those mistakes could be an interception, fumble, blown coverage ect. Flacco did throw an interception, McGahee did fumble.

Considering our offensive condition, I completely agree with the plan. Why would you want to ask your 35 year old fourth string quarterback to win the game for you? Instead, ask him not to lose it but just take advantage of the opponents mistakes when they make them.

The game plan worked. Instead putting the offense in the position to win the game in the final minute, the defense was in that position. If you're the Steelers, this is exactly what you want because the defense is the strength of your team. Unfortunately, the defense didn't step up in the last 30 seconds.

This loss is by no means Arians fault. As offensive coordinator, his job is to implement the game plan as dictated by the head coach. Tomlin didn't ask the offense to win this game by putting up 30+ points; he just wanted to minimize turnovers, control the clock, and score a few points.

cubanstogie
10-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I disagree with you completely. Those "gifts" you speak of were part of the game plan. The plan was to play conservatively, stay patient throughout the game, and eventually an aggressive Ravens team will make mistakes. Those mistakes could be an interception, fumble, blown coverage ect. Flacco did throw an interception, McGahee did fumble.

Considering our offensive condition, I completely agree with the plan. Why would you want to ask your 35 year old fourth string quarterback to win the game for you? Instead, ask him not to lose it but just take advantage of the opponents mistakes when they make them.

The game plan worked. Instead putting the offense in the position to win the game in the final minute, the defense was in that position. If you're the Steelers, this is exactly what you want because the defense is the strength of your team. Unfortunately, the defense didn't step up in the last 30 seconds.

This loss is by no means Arians fault. As offensive coordinator, his job is to implement the game plan as dictated by the head coach. Tomlin didn't ask the offense to win this game by putting up 30+ points; he just wanted to minimize turnovers, control the clock, and score a few points.
Exactly, we had a chance to win the game with a defensive stop. Which is our strength, especially without Ben. Not Arians fault we had 3 penalties on our goal line. Rashard did a great job of avoiding a safety twice, and people wanted a pass. Charlie would have been sacked or picked I am fairly confident. The fact that we are 3-1 and actually had a chance to win the last game is pretty darn good considering our QB play. Charlie had a couple of bright spots I will admit, but he was hardly a threat in the game. Charlie and Leftwich were great backups 2 plus years ago but I don't think they have much left in the tank.

ZoneBlitzer
10-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah. I know what you mean. Arians tries to be unconventional but the team fails to execute.

When they had that 3rd and 4 (after the penalty), they should have changed the pass to a shorter play...maybe to Heath Miller. Instead they went for it all. They should have at least gotten in better FG range before trying that.

At the end of the game, they should have had some package...Redman, screens, anything to get them 10 yards to seal the game. It's ridiculous. Some teams pray for winning drives. All we needed was 1 first down.

It is about situational football. He needs to practice more on that. He needs to use more screens. In all 3 situations (both turnovers and end of the game) a screen was appropriate.

I started a thread on screens. Where the hell has the screen gone? What is wrong with a conventional screen to the RB? The Steelers used to be one of the best in the league at it and now it is nowhere to be found - ever. The only screen I see is the WR bubble screen for 3 yards and 5 times a game. Whatever he's trying to set up ain't working. He is horrible on situational football - just horrible. I agree with you on that 3rd and 4 situation; get the first down and keep the chains moving.

SteelKnight
10-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I started a thread on screens. Where the hell has the screen gone? What is wrong with a conventional screen to the RB? The Steelers used to be one of the best in the league at it and now it is nowhere to be found - ever. The only screen I see is the WR bubble screen for 3 yards and 5 times a game. Whatever he's trying to set up ain't working. He is horrible on situational football - just horrible. I agree with you on that 3rd and 4 situation; get the first down and keep the chains moving.

Yeah. I'd like to see more screens. A lot of teams are using RB screens. It makes players nervous because you get past the RB then all of you are behind a RB with 2 lead blockers. After his chip, he's good. I definitely think we need to incorporate some to slow the blitz. I also think we should have some screens where Wallace still goes deep. If the safety recognizes the screen and tries to help out, you hit Wallace 1 on 1 (quick decision).

fer522
10-05-2010, 08:42 PM

It is about situational football. He needs to practice more on that. He needs to use more screens. In all 3 situations (both turnovers and end of the game) a screen was appropriate

amen brother

cubanstogie
10-05-2010, 10:00 PM
The plan on the last drive was to run as much clock as possible and try and get room for Sepulveda to punt. Then have our D stop them. A screen on our own goal line? you guys criticize BA but call for a screen on our goal line when they are looking for us to run. Too funny. Play action pass maybe. We went with the odds and lost.