PDA

View Full Version : Who's legit, who's not, and who's the jury still out on.

zulater
10-04-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't do power rankings, rankings are for college. In the NFL you're either a legitimate SB contender or your not. Well in some cases you have teams where you're just not sure on yet, so I have them listed in a seperate category.

So here's the teams I consider legitimate SB teams as of now.

Legit AFC.

Jets, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Chargers.

Jury still out AFC.

Bengals, Texans, Patriots, Dolphins.

Flush the rest.

NFC legit.

Packers, Saints, Falcons.

Jury still out.

Giants, Cowboys, Vikings, Eagles ( if Vick makes a quick comeback)

flush the rest.

SteelCityMom
10-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Good list, but I'd add the Rams to mine. I know, I know, it's the Rams. But Bradford looks real good, and they've been blowing teams out the past couple of weeks. I think they'll surprise a lot of people. I say they take the division and get at least to the divisional round of the playoffs.

I think the Texans are pretty legit atop the AFC South right now as well.

zulater
10-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Good list, but I'd add the Rams to mine. I know, I know, it's the Rams. But Bradford looks real good, and they've been blowing teams out the past couple of weeks. I think they'll surprise a lot of people. I say they take the division and get at least to the divisional round of the playoffs.

I think the Texans are pretty legit atop the AFC South right now as well.

Remember it's who I believe are legitimate SB contenders, not who I think are dark horse playoff teams.:wink02:

Seriously I love Bradford, give them another season and maybe they'll be up there with the big boys.

As far as the Texans, I was very close to putting them on the top line, maybe i should have? :noidea: You certainly can make their case, but for whatever reason I'm just not feeling it. Losing at home to the Cowboys makes me wonder if they're a big game team?

The Bengals were probably the team I was closest to leaving off the list with the flushers. Carson Palmer is a poor big game qb.

SteelCityMom
10-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm taking Rams and Jets for this years SB.

It would piss a lot of people off. I like that. :chuckle:

You heard it here first.

zulater
10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm taking Rams and Jets for this years SB.

It would piss a lot of people off. I like that. :chuckle:

You heard it here first.

The Rams wouldn't piss me off, but anyone other than the Steelers in the AFC would. :tt02:

ricardisimo
10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't think the Chargers are any more legit this year than any other. Once again, they'll turn it on just in time to make the playoffs in their weak division, then lose... probably to us.

zulater
10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Remember it's who I believe are legitimate SB contenders, not who I think are dark horse playoff teams.:wink02:

Seriously I love Bradford, give them another season and maybe they'll be up there with the big boys.

As far as the Texans, I was very close to putting them on the top line, maybe i should have? :noidea: You certainly can make their case, but for whatever reason I'm just not feeling it. Losing at home to the Cowboys makes me wonder if they're a big game team?

The Bengals were probably the team I was closest to leaving off the list with the flushers. Carson Palmer is a poor big game qb.

I was right on the Texans, I'm not putting them on the flushers list just yet, but another home loss and I'm going to be very tempted to. They play the chiefs in Houston next week, the winner goes( or stays) on my jury still out list, the loser gets flushed. http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/flush.gif

zulater
10-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Revised

Legit AFC.

Jets, Ravens, Steelers, .

Jury still out AFC.

Colts, Chargers, Texans, Patriots, Dolphins. Chiefs,titans

Jets, Ravens and Steelers look to be the 3 best teams in football and by more than just a little.

NFC legit.

Packers, Saints, Falcons. Giants

Jury still out.

Cowboys, Vikings, Eagles, Redskins

flush the rest.

The NFC looks pretty bad at the moment except maybe for the Giants, and it was only two weeks ago that the Giants looked like total crap.

Stanley
10-10-2010, 09:12 PM
You guys are too generous.

AFC
Steelers
Ravens
Jets

NFC
Jury is out on everybody.
:coffee:

steeltheone
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
How are the Patriots not listed as contenders?

zulater
10-11-2010, 07:12 PM
How are the Patriots not listed as contenders?

I got them listed with jury still out. I don't think their defense is all that, their running game is non existent, and without Moss drawing double coverage I'm not sure if Welker is going to find so many opening's underneath.

Oh yeah, and Tom brady is gay. :chuckle:

ricardisimo
10-12-2010, 03:27 PM
How is the jury still not out on the Cowboys and Vikes? Both are one-win teams that have mortgaged their futures and neglected to develop their youth, and now they're in trouble. Their collapses are two months early, but inevitable either way.

Am I missing something? Please don't talk to me about how they look on paper.
http://s6.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Paper-Football-League-T-Shirt_B43946EF.jpg

SteelCityMom
10-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Revised

Legit AFC.

Jets, Ravens, Steelers, .

Jury still out AFC.

Colts, Chargers, Texans, Patriots, Dolphins. Chiefs,titans

Jets, Ravens and Steelers look to be the 3 best teams in football and by more than just a little.

NFC legit.

Packers, Saints, Falcons. Giants

Jury still out.

Cowboys, Vikings, Eagles, Redskins

flush the rest.

The NFC looks pretty bad at the moment except maybe for the Giants, and it was only two weeks ago that the Giants looked like total crap.

Yeah, I don't know how you still have the Cowboys and Vikings on this list, but don't mention the team on top of the NFC (Bears) anywhere in here.

If you're going to have 1-3 teams like Dallas and Minn. on here, you might as well put Det. and Seattle on here too.

To counter your list with my own though, here's how I see the Conferences shaping up (at the moment)

AFC Legit:

Ravens
Steelers
Jets
Pats (yes, unfortunately I still think the Pats are legit...even though I hate them and think they are defensively weak...they're still winning games)

Jury still out:

Colts (though they are always on the cusp of winning as long as they have Peyton)
Texans (They were a decent 9-7 team last year, and I think they look better this year)
Jags (I know they could always start slipping at any time, but they seem like they've found some mojo in a tough division)

Normally at this time of year I'd put the Chargers on as well. Screw them, they keep stinking up the place and I'm sure most fans almost hope they miss the playoffs so that AJ will finally fire Norvs ass. Their defense keeps getting worse and the offense is taking steps backwards with no VJ. If they make the playoffs it will be because of a weak division and they'll get booted early again.

NFC Legit:

Falcons
Bears

...I know Cutler sucks, but they've been able to win games despite him at times

These are really the only two NFC teams I see as being consistent right now...I'm sure this will change some in the weeks to come, but for now, they are the only two teams going out there and winning the games they NEED to win.

Jury Still Out:

Saints
Skins
Giants
Packers
Eagles

I'd put the Saints as legit if they didn't look like they were just going through the motions some weeks. Plus their kickers are KILLING them. If they keep this up, they'll be lucky to make the playoffs (a la Steelers '06 and '09).

I'm semi-impressed with how some NFC teams have been able to perform in a few games (Cards, Rams and Bucs), but don't think they have the staying power to make it through to the playoffs and into the SB.

Cowboys and Vikings seem to have just shit the bed...they should be winning, but have taken serious steps backwards. At this point, I don't think either team makes the playoffs, not with how competitive their conference (and the league as a whole) has been so far.

ricardisimo
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
We're not completely there yet, but I think by and large record is starting to reflect reality, division-wise at least. That means that, yes, KC is probably the best team in their division, and they'll probably make the playoffs as such. TB and St. Louis might do the same. I have to assume making the playoffs makes you "legit". With that in mind...

AFC:

Steelers
Jets
Titans (yes, you read it here first)
Chiefs
Ravens (Wild Card)
Colts (Wild Card)

NFC:

Falcons
Packers (I don't see the Bears winning the division)
Redskins
Seahawks
Saints (Wild Card)
Bears (Wild Card)

The Bears could easily collapse, and the Bucs could take that last Wild Card spot instead. Both Western divisions are simply atrocious, and any team in them could wind up in first or last place. Doesn't matter. Whoever it is is one and done in both conferences.

zulater
10-12-2010, 06:49 PM
How is the jury still not out on the Cowboys and Vikes? Both are one-win teams that have mortgaged their futures and neglected to develop their youth, and now they're in trouble. Their collapses are two months early, but inevitable either way.

Am I missing something? Please don't talk to me about how they look on paper.
http://s6.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Paper-Football-League-T-Shirt_B43946EF.jpg

One or the other will have a 10 win season, and will prove troublesome in the playoffs. mark it down. :coffee:

zulater
10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
The Bears could possibly win 9 games due to their schedule, but at best are one and done in the playoffs therefore they aren't legit in my book.

Atlanta Dan
10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
One or the other will have a 10 win season, and will prove troublesome in the playoffs. mark it down. :coffee:

I agree one of the two will make the playoffs - Dallas plays the Colts and Minnesota plays New England later, but neither team's schedule is daunting

But they start their playoffs this weekend by playing each other in Minnesota = the loser's season is over - mark it down

cloppbeast
10-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Legit AFC:
Steelers
Browns
Colts
Ravens
Patriots
Jets
Chargers

The Jury is still out:
Texans
Chiefs
Dolphins
Texans

Legit NFC:
Eagles
Packers
Falcons
Saints

Jury still out:
Cardinals
Redskins
Giants
Cowboys
Bears
49ers

zulater
10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I agree one of the two will make the playoffs - Dallas plays the Colts and Minnesota plays New England later, but neither team's schedule is daunting

But they start their playoffs this weekend by playing each other in Minnesota = the loser's season is over - mark it down

Agreed.

ricardisimo
10-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Legit AFC:
Steelers
Browns
Colts
Ravens
Patriots
Jets
Chargers

The Jury is still out:
Texans
Chiefs
Dolphins
Texans

Legit NFC:
Eagles
Packers
Falcons
Saints

Jury still out:
Cardinals
Redskins
Giants
Cowboys
Bears
49ers
The Browns? Is this an attempt to make this week's game seem more meaningful?

Not sure I agree with you on the Chargers and Eagles. They could become significant, but don't look the part so far.

ricardisimo
10-12-2010, 11:35 PM

http://www.montclair.k12.nj.us/WebPageFiles/960/bookit4.jpg

Your predictions are hereby marked down for ridicule later this season.

I think it's safe to say that neither team will be winning their division, so you have to ask yourselves if either team will be getting in as a wildcard. In my mind, the NFC South alone is more likely to snatch up both wildcard spots than to have either one of these teams get one. How does the math work for you guys?

SteelersinCA
10-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Mark this down, the Patriots will finish 3rd in their division and the loss of Randy Moss will be entirely detrimental to the entire make up of their offense.

zulater
10-13-2010, 05:15 AM
http://www.montclair.k12.nj.us/WebPageFiles/960/bookit4.jpg

Your predictions are hereby marked down for ridicule later this season.

I think it's safe to say that neither team will be winning their division, so you have to ask yourselves if either team will be getting in as a wildcard. In my mind, the NFC South alone is more likely to snatch up both wildcard spots than to have either one of these teams get one. How does the math work for you guys?

You realize the Patriots won a recent Super bowl after starting 1-3? The vikings have all their division games ahead of them, they have control of their own destiny. I think they still have an excellent chance of beating out the overrated Packers for the division crown.

The cowboys have a harder road because the Giants look to be a more legitimate team ahead of them. But the talent is still there, if they right the ship in time.

As has already been said I think the winner of the Vikes- Cowboys game will probably springboard to a playoff berth and the loser will spiral into the abyss.

lionslicer
10-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Mark this down, the Patriots will finish 3rd in their division and the loss of Randy Moss will be entirely detrimental to the entire make up of their offense.

Thats why they scored 41 points without Moss catching a pass...

SteelersinCA
10-13-2010, 10:55 AM

You have to game plan for Moss. Whether he catches or not, he is affecting the game. Time will tell my friend.

lionslicer
10-13-2010, 11:19 AM
You have to game plan for Moss. Whether he catches or not, he is affecting the game. Time will tell my friend.

I doubt they'll finish 3rd. Jets always fall off at the end of the season, and Miami is a toss up week to week, they aren't consistant.

cloppbeast
10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
The Browns? Is this an attempt to make this week's game seem more meaningful?

I was just making sure you were paying attention.

Not sure I agree with you on the Chargers and Eagles. They could become significant, but don't look the part so far.

You could be right about the Chargers, but the Eagles are good. Their two losses have both come in games when their starting quarterback got hurt in the first quarter. Against the Redskins, Kolb came in and looked totally unprepared and confused. That game would have been completely different had Vick played the entire game. The same goes for week one when they lost to the Packers.

cloppbeast
10-13-2010, 11:47 AM

I'm marking it down as we speak. But, unfortunately you are wrong. The Patriots made the playoffs with Jabar Gafney as their number one WR, so I'm not buying it. Moss is the best deep threat in the history of the game - when he wants to be - but aside from that he doesn't offer much. He's a one trick pony. They have a guy named Brandon Tate, I think, who will fill in for Moss at least decently, and he will provide a more well-rounded skill set. Plus they just picked up former Super Bowl MVP Deon Branch.

On top of that, their currently weak defense will only improve as the season progresses.

And thirdly, Miami and Buffalo stink.

The Patriots will finish at least second in their division, if for no other reason than lack of competition. And I would not be surprised if they won it.

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2010, 12:13 PM
so you think their D and special teams will put up 21 points for em every week ? :noidea:
their passing game put up 153 yds and 1 TD without moss catching a pass.

lionslicer
10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
so you think their D and special teams will put up 21 points for em every week ? :noidea:
their passing game put up 153 yds and 1 TD without moss catching a pass.

Yes why not? Patriots defense has been in the top 10 the past 10 years expect 05 and 03 and they have different players every year. I hate the Patriots, but they aren't just going to roll over and die, especially if Bellicheck is the coach, cheating or not he finds a way to win. The way he's handling this year, I think he's more worried about the off season and future seasons, he's been collecting draft picks and playing younger players and rotating players more, but I still doubt they'll totally bomb this year because Moss is gone. They were pretty good before he got there, and the team pretty much has different players every year except the core of Brady and some offensive-linemen and still put up a winning record at the end of the season.

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Yes why not? Patriots defense has been in the top 10 the past 10 years expect 05 and 03 and they have different players every year. I hate the Patriots, but they aren't just going to roll over and die, especially if Bellicheck is the coach, cheating or not he finds a way to win. The way he's handling this year, I think he's more worried about the off season and future seasons, he's been collecting draft picks and playing younger players and rotating players more, but I still doubt they'll totally bomb this year because Moss is gone. They were pretty good before he got there, and the team pretty much has different players every year except the core of Brady and some offensive-linemen and still put up a winning record at the end of the season.
well as of now they're 29th in the league. 384 yds a game. and 25th for points given up.

lionslicer
10-13-2010, 03:20 PM
well as of now they're 29th in the league. 384 yds a game. and 25th for points given up.

And? They're still winning... The Patriots have had the worst redzone defense since like 2005, but they have been in the top 10 in turnovers except 2005, which was just a piss poor defense. and 2nd half or first half scoring, I can't remember which it is, probably 1st half.
And they still have the number 1 scoring offense, not scoring defense and offense, just offense. Tom Brady threw 28 touchdowns to medicore and slot recievers before Moss or Welker came to the team, he can do it again.

Whats the point in argueing this? They're 3-1, they'll probably be 12-4 or 11-5 at the end of the season. Generally out of their losses during the season, most of them are from division or rivals (ie steelers and colts) And maybe 1 or 2 losses from an out of division opponent. I don't see the Dolphins or Jets winning enough games out of division that their wins against the Patriots will count for anything at the end of the year.

SteelersinCA
10-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm marking it down as we speak. But, unfortunately you are wrong. The Patriots made the playoffs with Jabar Gafney as their number one WR, so I'm not buying it. Moss is the best deep threat in the history of the game - when he wants to be - but aside from that he doesn't offer much. He's a one trick pony. They have a guy named Brandon Tate, I think, who will fill in for Moss at least decently, and he will provide a more well-rounded skill set. Plus they just picked up former Super Bowl MVP Deon Branch.

On top of that, their currently weak defense will only improve as the season progresses.

And thirdly, Miami and Buffalo stink.

The Patriots will finish at least second in their division, if for no other reason than lack of competition. And I would not be surprised if they won it.

Well, I'm not wrong yet. So slow down, killer. It's not about someone fitting in nicely. With Moss you have to play a safety over top to help with that deep threat you acknowledge. With the other guy they throw in there, you don't, so you have one more in the box stuffing the run or defending against Welker's slants and underneath stuff. They have a depleted RB corp and will struggle the whole year.

You may be right about Miami not winning enough but the determination of whether they finish 3rd or not lies solely with miami. NE doesn't have the horses to get it done.

It does no good saying you are wrong or I am wrong, let the season play out and we'll see. :thumbsup:

zulater
10-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Here's this weeks list.

AFC Legit.

Steelers, Jets, Ravens, Patriots, Colts

Jury still out.

Dolphins, Texans, Titans, Chiefs

still a glimmer of hope ( new category)

Bengals, Chargers.

NFC legit

Saints, Giants

Jury still out.

Falcons, Eagles, Vikings, Packers

Still a glimmer of hope

Cowboys, Redskins, Bears.

ricardisimo
10-19-2010, 04:28 PM
I need for something to be clarified here: making it to the playoffs is a - if not the - determining factor, is it not? You were poo-pooing the Bears earlier, but it doesn't really matter if they're one and out in the playoffs, they'd still be doing better than the twenty teams who don't make it at all. You can't win the Super Bowl if you don't make the playoffs.

Right now, it looks like the Bears are going to be handed their division. I'm unclear how exactly the jury is still not out on the Vikings, or how there is a glimmer of hope for Dallas. Mathematically, Detroit is still in it, and the Rams and Seahawks are doing much better than Dallas, yet you don't mention any of them.

I'm sticking with my AFC assessments untouched:
AFC:

Steelers
Jets
Chiefs
Ravens (Wild Card)
Colts (Wild Card)

As far as the NFC, I'm uncertain what to do with the North, so I'm leaving it alone for now. Philly seems to have gained on Washington, so...
NFC:

Falcons
Eagles
Seahawks
Saints (Wild Card)
Bears (Wild Card)

My only changes, then, are Philly instead of Washington, and the East up a spot at the North's expense. These look something like our eventual playoff teams, which should be the definition of "legitimacy".

The only other changes I foresee happening are the possibility of the Patriots gaining on the Colts for a Wild Card spot.

What is the obsession with Dallas and San Diego on these boards?

Fire Arians
10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
^ Giants are gonna win the east or a wildcard by the way they've been playing recently. They may be the best team in the NFC at the moment, they had a shaky start but have been lights out as of late.

that and they have a head-to-head win over the bears. so if the bears don't win their division they could be SOL

Bears also play in a much tougher division to win than the Giants do. Giants only have to worry about the eagles, but the bears have to play both minnesota and green bay twice, and detroit despite their record has been playing everybody tough. I think the bears are a decent team but miss the playoffs this year

ricardisimo
10-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Giants are indeed looking much better, but think about it: Seattle did the same thing to Chicago as the Giants did earlier, and then the Giants played a surprisingly close game against Detroit, with the latter down to their 3rd string QB. I think they've been fortunate, schedule-wise. As usual in the NFC East, their head-to-head games are going to decide the division.

Fire Arians
10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
True that. NFC in general seems like a huge mess. The Giants win over the Bears does give them the tiebreaker if they both end up 10-6 or 9-7 looking for a WC though, which is the main reason for my pick. I don't see the bears sweeping GB, and will probably drop at least one to minnesota. Giants have a decent shot of sweeping the redskins and cowboys, but hell, who knows, this season is one huge cluster**** so far lol.

gotta say there's somet teams that run super hot and cold (seattle, houston, washington, etc there's more) and you never know which one is going to show up. Steelers, Jets, and Ravens, and Pats seem to be the only teams in the NFL consistently playing at a high level

ricardisimo
10-19-2010, 06:18 PM
I want to make one thing clear... I think the Dallas/Minnesota game knocked both teams out of contention. Minnesota won because it was at home, but otherwise looks to me like a complete mess. They just seems badly coached - undisciplined with poor game plans. Favre is not only a shadow of himself, but he's an injured shadow of himself, with a possible suspension looming. Could be the best thing for them, in a way. I doubt they'd be 2-3 with Tarvaris Jackson at QB. They'd probably be a harder-working team, at least.

In other words, had Dallas won, there'd be the slightest bit of legitimacy to saying "glimmer of hope".

zulater
10-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I need for something to be clarified here: making it to the playoffs is a - if not the - determining factor, is it not? ?

No, it's more or less who I think can make a valid run if and when they make it to the playoffs.The basis of which are picked by my own arbitrary standards aka my gut feeling as to who can be good when it counts if they're healthy and playing at or near their peak.

So while I believe it's true a team such as the Bears can possibly rack up enough wins given their schedule to make the playoffs it's just not a team I have any true belief in.

Contrast that with the chargers, who've lost two or three games largely due to special teams gaffes. The chargers are still a team that could be dangerous if they right their ship in time to make it there. (imo)

Anyway all are welcome to make their own list, but now you know the basis of mine. :hatsoff:

ricardisimo
10-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm still not quite understanding you. Firstly, teams have to get into the playoffs to be legit. Secondly, and with that in mind, how do you figure the Vikings are getting in, and how to you figure the Cowboys have a glimmer of hope? How does the math work to allow Dallas into the show? Didn't you yourself say that the loser of the Minn/Dall game was out?

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Are we all in agreement now about the Cowboys, Vikings and Chargers? Can we move on?

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2010, 02:54 AM
i'm still not ready to shovel dirt over the chargers. they looked pretty pathetic last year while the donko's racked up 6 straight wins. we all seen how that played out.

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 03:26 AM
i'm still not ready to shovel dirt over the chargers. they looked pretty pathetic last year while the donko's racked up 6 straight wins. we all seen how that played out.
True, but do you really see them ever making it past, say, us in the playoffs, assuming they make it at all this year? Rivers is not quite the choke artist Romo is, but he really can't seem to get his team over the hump.

zulater
10-30-2010, 07:17 AM
AFC legit

Jets, Steelers, Patriots

Jury still out on.

Ravens, ( they've gone down to the wire with the Browns and Bills, Flacco still isn't entirely happening) Colts, Texans, ( winner of their game this week advances to legit) Titans ( sorry but this is the best I can ever do for a Vince Young, Kerry Collins qb'ed team) Chiefs (they're probably closer to legit than the Ravens or Colts, look at their schedule and you can see an easy 11-12 wins)

Grasping at air down to their last strike.

Bengals -Dolphins, whoever loses between them this week is virtually done. There's a good chance an 11-5 AFC team is going to miss the playoffs. ( not suggesting either of these teams figure for 11 wins)

Chargers, they probably don't seserve a mention, I know they've got a history for late season rallies, but the western dividsion isn't hanging around waiting for them this year to catch up. Or at least the chiefs aren't. And there's no way I can see a wild card coming from the west when the other 3 divsions all have at least two solid teams.

I'll do the NFC later.

zulater
10-30-2010, 10:22 AM
NFC

Legit.

Giants, Falcons

Jury still out on.

Saints, even if they lose to Steelers they still could make a run with a good second half.\
Packers, only if they get healthy
Eagles, if Vick can do it against good teams then they could be the NFC surprise team.
Vikings, if they can beat the Patriots this week they'd go a long way towards establishing legitimacy. Big if though.

Playoff contenders I'm just not buying.

Redskins, they play everyone tough, but I just don't think they have enough talent to win in the playoffs.
Bears, they don't protect the passer and Cutler is a knucklehead anyway. Could make the playoffs, but will have little chance to advance.

ricardisimo
11-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Vikings, if they can beat the Patriots this week they'd go a long way towards establishing legitimacy. Big if though.
Please tell me that we can now safely cross the Vikings off of your list.

zulater
11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Please tell me that we can now safely cross the Vikings off of your list.

Almost, but not entirely.:flap:

They can easily win their next 3 games. Get to .500 in the NFC and you're a playa. :chuckle:

ricardisimo
11-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Their next three are Arizona, Chicago and Green Bay. That's not exactly a fear-inspiring gauntlet. But I wouldn't call it "easy" either. They could just as easily lose all three. I'd claim that's more likely, in fact.

zulater
11-22-2010, 06:53 PM
OK time to update here.

AFC legit.

Patriots, Ravens, Jets

Jury still out

Steelers, Colts, Chargers, Chiefs

Long shot with a slight chance

Jaguars

NFC legit

Eagles, Falcons, Packers, Saints

Jury still out

Bucs, Giants, Bears

Redskins

steeltheone
11-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Bucs are improving but could be beat by 30 against any contender.

ricardisimo
11-28-2010, 03:04 AM
OK time to update here.

AFC legit.

Patriots, Ravens, Jets

Jury still out

Steelers, Colts, Chargers, Chiefs

Jaguars

NFC legit

Eagles, Falcons, Packers, Saints

Jury still out

Bucs, Giants, Bears

Redskins
Jury's still not out on the Steelers, huh? Wow. The Vikings and Cowboys had two wins between them several weeks ago, and yet you had them as near-locks to win it all. Meanwhile, the Steelers had a bad showing against the Pats and so they're a question mark even at 7-3. Your brain is on a different wavelength than mine, that's for sure.

I'm looking at what I wrote here almost seven weeks ago (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=854843&postcount=14), and I'm pretty proud of it. It's not perfect, but the broad strokes are there:
AFC:

Steelers
Jets
Chiefs
Ravens (Wild Card)
Colts (Wild Card)

NFC:

Falcons
Redskins
Seahawks
Saints (Wild Card)
Bears (Wild Card)

I was clearly wrong about the Redskins (although I knew the Giants would not be sustaining their little run). And the Titans have just utterly collapsed... I didn't see that happening. However, who saw the Jaguars being in first place in the South? You still don't see it, even though they're the number four seed in the AFC as of right now.

I might very well still wind up perfect with everything but those #3 seeds. We'll see as soon as next week, I think.

The long and the short of it is that making the playoffs is the basic benchmark for legitimacy. Gut feeling and "paper strength" clearly don't cut it, as the Dallas and Minnesota picks have shown.

MattsMe
11-28-2010, 03:08 AM
:hatsoff: :applaudit:

Do we have a pat on the back smiley?

Seriously, great job on those picks. It's still funny seeing Seattle up there, and I almost called you on it, until I remembered how horrible their division is. I always just sort of forget about it.

ricardisimo
11-28-2010, 03:23 AM
:hatsoff: :applaudit:

Do we have a pat on the back smiley?

Seriously, great job on those picks. It's still funny seeing Seattle up there, and I almost called you on it, until I remembered how horrible their division is. I always just sort of forget about it.
Yeah, both Western divisions are going to prompt a lot of discussion about reworking the playoff system. I think all of those theories are completely misguided. I have my own theory, but I suspect it belongs in a new thread.

MasterOfPuppets
11-28-2010, 07:38 AM
san diego is still gonna win their division. :popcorn:
@ indy
oak
KC
sanfran
@ cinn
@ den

ricardisimo
11-28-2010, 04:36 PM
san diego is still gonna win their division. :popcorn:
@ indy
oak
KC
sanfran
@ cinn
@ den
It's not as though KC's schedule is herculean:
@SEA (winning handily right now)
DEN
@SD
@STL
TEN
OAK
If SD loses today and to KC, the division is the Chiefs'.

MasterOfPuppets
11-29-2010, 07:07 AM
It's not as though KC's schedule is herculean:@SEA (winning handily right now)
DEN
@SD
@STL
TEN
OAK
If SD loses today and to KC, the division is the Chiefs'.
well... they didn't lose today . i think the chargers have a good chance to win out. i also think the chiefs will not only lose to the chargers , but will drop another. maybe the rams.

http://www.joepaduda.com/scrambled-toast-crystal-ball.JPG

zulater
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
If Jerry Jones had fired Wade Phillips when he should have the Cowboys would still be playing meaningfull games.

ricardisimo
12-07-2010, 01:29 AM
well... they didn't lose today . i think the chargers have a good chance to win out. i also think the chiefs will not only lose to the chargers , but will drop another. maybe the rams.

Ummm... oops.

If Jerry Jones had fired Wade Phillips when he should have the Cowboys would still be playing meaningfull games.
You mean at the end of 2008?

MasterOfPuppets
12-13-2010, 04:17 AM
Ummm... oops.

if SD wins out and the chiefs lose 1 more , SD wins the division with a better conference record. :chuckle:

ricardisimo
12-13-2010, 02:21 PM
if SD wins out and the chiefs lose 1 more , SD wins the division with a better conference record. :chuckle:
D'oh! MoP, must you always torment me so??? Is it not enough that you're wealthier, better-looking and johnny-jpeg-on-the-spot? Can't you at least let me be right in football from time to time?

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2010, 10:58 AM
D'oh! MoP, must you always torment me so??? Is it not enough that you're wealthier, better-looking and johnny-jpeg-on-the-spot? Can't you at least let me be right in football from time to time?
:chuckle:

Donít look now, but with first place in the AFC West and a playoff spot within reach, the once-struggling San Diego Chargers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/san-diego-chargers/67068) are coming on strong.

(http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/NFL-Week-15-photos-121610)The Chargers excelled in all three phases of the game Thursday night against San Francisco, shutting down the 49ers (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/san-francisco-49ers/67059) and getting a breakout, three-touchdown performance from wide receiver Vincent Jackson (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/vincent-jackson/299971) in a 34-7 win.

The victory allowed the Chargers to inch within a half-game of the division-leading Kansas City Chiefs (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/kansas-city-chiefs/67049), with only games at Cincinnati (2-11) and Denver (3-10) left on their schedule. If they win out and the Chiefs lose once, the Chargers win their fifth straight West title.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/San-Diego-Chargers-defeat-San-Francisco-49ers-analysis-121610

ricardisimo
12-27-2010, 01:42 AM
I think this might be a good time for me to quote the likes of Warden and zulater... :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
:banging: ..... what a cruel world i live in.

ricardisimo
01-07-2011, 04:49 AM
AFC:

Steelers
Jets
Chiefs
Ravens (Wild Card)
Colts (Wild Card)

NFC:

Falcons
Redskins
Seahawks
Saints (Wild Card)
Bears (Wild Card)

I'm sorry to keep stroking myself here, but I just want to point out yet again that I made these picks over three months ago! The seeding is obviously wrong, but I only got one team wrong in each conference after only five weeks of games on which to judge. I got the freaking Seachickens right!

I'd like for everyone to start calling me "Smooth Ricky Apollo". Thank you very much. You have my permission to start heaping praise on me now.
http://moviecapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/smooth-jimmy-apollo2.jpg

SteelKnight
01-07-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm sorry to keep stroking myself here, but I just want to point out yet again that I made these picks over three months ago! The seeding is obviously wrong, but I only got one team wrong in each conference after only five weeks of games on which to judge. I got the freaking Seachickens right!

I'd like for everyone to start calling me "Smooth Ricky Apollo". Thank you very much. You have my permission to start heaping praise on me now.
http://moviecapper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/smooth-jimmy-apollo2.jpg

It's a mess. To miss on the Patriots is an epic fail of hopeful proportions.:sofunny:

I'm sure I would have gotten a bunch.
I wish I had written them down in that fashion. If I think back to after week 3, I probably would have put:

1.Steelers 2. Patriots 3. Colts 4. Chargers 5.Jets 6.Ravens

on the NFC

1.Packers 2. Saints 3. Atlanta 4. Seahawks 5. Vikings 6. Eagles

I base these on my post wk rankings and what I was thinking of the Seahawks at the time. To be honest, at one point, I had the Patriots #1 but that was early in the season and you all kept bashing me. lol

ricardisimo
01-10-2011, 05:18 PM
It's a mess. To miss on the Patriots is an epic fail of hopeful proportions.:sofunny:

I'm sure I would have gotten a bunch.
I wish I had written them down in that fashion. If I think back to after week 3, I probably would have put:

1.Steelers 2. Patriots 3. Colts 4. Chargers 5.Jets 6.Ravens

on the NFC

1.Packers 2. Saints 3. Atlanta 4. Seahawks 5. Vikings 6. Eagles

I base these on my post wk rankings and what I was thinking of the Seahawks at the time. To be honest, at one point, I had the Patriots #1 but that was early in the season and you all kept bashing me. lol
Don't forget the Cowboys. As I recall, you and zu were both irrationally exuberant about them, given their record and performance.