PDA

View Full Version : Who's fault was it the Steelers lost?

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Reading posts, it seasons everyone has completely different opinions on the matter, even analysts and so called 'experts' have differen't views, but if you had to chose, who gets the blame?

steelax04
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Everyone had a blemish throughout the game... Reed missing FGs, the offense not moving the ball (other than the long drive), penalties, some questionable play calling (lots of 50 yard bombs), defense letting up that TD to the now 'elite' Flacco (good one, John Clayton)...

I can't pick one single facet that can take sole blame on this one. I'm happy to see that they proved the Ravens to be completely beatable, though.

stb_steeler
10-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Well, this could go a couple of ways.If 2 field goals made (which were pretty far) some will say Reed should have made. Charlie didnt get the first down on the last drive to run clock out. Arians didnt call good plays to keep the drives going......Hmmm i guess another team effort maybe the cause!

Fire Arians
10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
they lost as a team, so i voted everybody

jjpro11
10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
this was the definition of a team loss. the offense couldn't move the ball enough and had a chance to ice the game but couldn't get it done. the defense had a chance to end the games with under a minute left, but couldn't come up with a stop. Reed missed a couple kicks (although they weren't easy by any means). each phase of the game; offense, defense, and special teams had opportunities to win the game, but didn't get it done.

stuck_in_VA
10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
My vote is for everyone, and here's why:

1. Special teams - Reed missed 2 field goals. Sure the wind, but they were still missed.
2. Offense. Run, run, pass, punt etc etc etc. It was a conservative approach, but had we taken a chance, well who knows.
3. Defense (but not as unjust as some others think). Troy was missing last year. He is back this year. He blitzed on the last play. BMac got burned, they scored. Once again, Troy was the playmaker we were missing last year. We should have left him in the secondary to make a play!
4. Everyone - The penalties were crucial.

SteelCityMom
10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
The Patriots suck...that is always the best option.

Were I given two votes though, I would say that this was a complete team loss. Everybody had their hand in losing yesterday.

billym99
10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Everyone! As everyone said above. That being said I give the Ravens some credit as well, their defense played well, especially their secondary. Flacco avoided mistakes for the most part.

To me the overall killer for this game were the two drives after the turnovers. 5 total yards and zero points to show for those turnovers. Those two drives are where Big Ben would have been a difference maker in this game. 10 more yards on the drive after turnover #2 and Reeds kick squeeks inside the upright, or hits and and deflects in.

Oh well, shoulda coulda woulda. Steelers are still looking like a superbowl caliber team even in defeat. Everyone is high on the Ravens but are convienently forgetting how they looked in weeks 1-3. And if John Clayton called Flacco elite he is a damn idiot... Flacco looked average and benefitted from no pressure and soft coverage. A late TD pass to a wide open guy that's 10 feet tall doesn't make you elite.

Lord of Lombardi
10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Who's Fault? Everyone but the Ratbirds. Now they will claim that they came into our house and beat up on the mighty Stillers. Our injury report says that did not happen. Look at their side. RB's lying all over the field. Again, we outhit them. I will not blame the refs because the man in stripes did not miss two makeable FG's. They didn't commit 11 penalties, three while at the goal line with around 1 minute left. They didn't call piss poor prevent D to allow the Ratbirds to get down inside the 20 wtih 40 seconds left. Time was never a factor which is why we should have thrown on 1st down when they put 11 in the box knowing that we would not run. Truth be told, this is the most complete TEAM loss just like the previous 3 were TEAM wins. Take comfort Steeler Nation. We all would have bet the farm that we would not be 3-1 after 4 games. I was all ready to blame Ben for a lost season. Now he has a chance to redeem his bad choices. Let's see if he does just that. Charlie was a game manager that helped us to a 3-1 record. A game manager that was somewhat hand cuffed. As it was proven, it takes more than a Game manager to beat the 2nd best D in the league. We get our QB back this week. The Ravens and the rest of the league knows that. Our Team is now pissed and hungry for the next victim. We have a solid RB, a gazelle for a receiver, the best possession WR in the game, a surprizing O Line that is getting better, and THE BEST D. Who doesn't want a 3-1 record. And I have to work in Baltimore so I'll take the blame for this one as well. We win as a team and lose as a team. And just maybe our QB will come back better than ever. How will the league deal with that? Let's polish # 7 folks and shut em all up.

StainlessStill
10-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Fact is, we had the lead, 14-10 with 2:00 to go. No excuse, one first down and it's OVER. Our defense stopped them TWICE.. count them TWICE on the goalline, once on 4th down. All our offense needed to do, was get one first down and the games over. We didn't do that because we beat ourselves with 2 false start penalties, and a holding penalty that gave Baltimore extra field position. Our defense broke, was mentally gassed, and got beat.

We had the game in our grasp, we make that ONE first down after the defense's beautifual goaline stand, we aren't talking about Houshmanterrorists TD catch, OR Jeff Reed's 2 missed field goals. That possession on the 2 yard line told the story and we snatched defeat in the jaws of victory. WE HAD THEM.

I blame the offense for not picking up 10 yards, that set the stage.

Lord of Lombardi
10-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Remember against Jacksonville when Ben needed 1 first down and Ariass called a run around to the left side. We punted and the rest is history. Why do we not lean? I know we have the Best D, but they just did an awesome job and the Offense actually owed it to the D, the rest of the team and to the fans to go out there and win a game. They were rested and they had the mental mistakes. The D did not. The Ratbirds should not have gotten the ball back. Arians needs to pull some old footage and see that his play calling sucked just like a few years ago. What did we have to lose. There is a reason that Arians has the Brown stains in his history.

Fire Arians
10-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Remember against Jacksonville when Ben needed 1 first down and Ariass called a run around to the left side. We punted and the rest is history. Why do we not lean? I know we have the Best D, but they just did an awesome job and the Offense actually owed it to the D, the rest of the team and to the fans to go out there and win a game. They were rested and they had the mental mistakes. The D did not. The Ratbirds should not have gotten the ball back. Arians needs to pull some old footage and see that his play calling sucked just like a few years ago. What did we have to lose. There is a reason that Arians has the Brown stains in his history.

i think from the 2 yard line you have to run the ball. anyone misses their block or gets a hold in the end zone, it's a safety. Penalties that kept backing us up killed us. Instead of getting a 2nd and 7 at the 5 yard line (which would have given us enough room to open the playbook to some passes) we kept shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties getting backed up to the 2 yard line. As much as I like to blame arians for everything, he really had no choice in that circumstance.

maybe if we had ben, we could call a pass from the 2, but batch isn't nearly as good at evading the rush and making a play

I DO fault arians for not being able to make any points out of 2 turnovers in ravens territory, but also many others contributed to yesterday's loss. In a nutshell, we didn't play disciplined football, but that's correctable. It's not like we were flat out beat and outclassed. Quite the opposite.

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 03:02 PM
People say "whats wrong with a 3-1 record"
Well
3-1 record against 3 teams that aren't that great. Titans have not been that good, the Lions kept CJ to 2.3 yards a carry, better than the Steelers did.
Bucs only beat the Browns and the Panthers. Falcons aren't that good against good defenses. They were terrible against the 49er's until pulling out a win last minute.
Ravens were the only real test for the Steelers in the first 4 games, and their offense is as lackluster as the other 3 teams, and they still had a solid game through the air.

Teams have started off 5-0 in the past just to end the season 9-7 or worse. Hot starts due to lackluster teams in the schedule. They did this last year, it could happen again. I'd rather the Steelers start 1-3 and end the season 11-5 or 12-4 than start 3-1 and end the season 9-7 again... Maybe I'm too much of a glass half emtpy type of person

Fire Arians
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
^ disagree. the bucs maybe, but the jury is still out on them. The falcons are a good team. To say they don't do good against a good defense, well who does? Was Joe Montana a scrub cause he couldn't score more than 10 points against the giants defense in the 80's? tennessee is tough in their own house, and beating them there (something we hardly ever did historically) was a good statement.

We still have more impressive wins on our schedule than most of these teams the media is all slobbering over. We just had a bad game after a tough 3-game stretch, can't win em all. The bye week came at a good time.

btw i think the lions are a lot better than that 0-4 record says. they played everyone tough so far, but can't seem to catch a break, not to mention all the teams they played against were contenders (chi, min, gb, phi). they will definitely pick up some wins when they start facing middle of the pack or bottom tier teams

lionslicer
10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
^ disagree. the bucs maybe, but the jury is still out on them. The falcons are a good team. To say they don't do good against a good defense, well who does? Was Joe Montana a scrub cause he couldn't score more than 10 points against the giants defense in the 80's? tennessee is tough in their own house, and beating them there (something we hardly ever did historically) was a good statement.

We still have more impressive wins on our schedule than most of these teams the media is all slobbering over. We just had a bad game after a tough 3-game stretch, can't win em all. The bye week came at a good time.

btw i think the lions are a lot better than that 0-4 record says. they played everyone tough so far, but can't seem to catch a break, not to mention all the teams they played against were contenders (chi, min, gb, phi). they will definitely pick up some wins when they start facing middle of the pack or bottom tier teams

So lions defense is better than the Steelers defense? I think the Lions are a better team than their record says too, but their defense has givin up a lot this year, though point wise they are better than most, but yard wise they are terrible. Teams were averaging over 130 yards rushing against them, Titans could only get 50, and thats because they kept giving CJ the ball even though he kept getting stuffed.

I'm not even gonna go into defending the Falcans, they are a team that can play well for a couple games then stink up the joint for a couple games. They did that all last year. Showed promise, then just fell on their face, kind of like the Steelers did.

StainlessStill
10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Ravens were the only real test for the Steelers in the first 4 games, and their offense is as lackluster as the other 3 teams, and they still had a solid game through the air.

It's easy to play THAT game. Giving the Steelers no credit is just mind-boggling. You mention in the statements of the Titans "aren't that good" and that the "Lions held C.J" but say the Ravens were our real test when they lost to Cincinnati, who haven't looked too good, and who just lost to the Browns, who lost to Tampa Bay, a team that we murdered. Every game can be said and used against one another, but the fact is, ESP this year in the NFL, is that it's all about matchups and you can't go by what this team do against this team and so forth.

You have the Saints barely squeaking by the 0-3 Panthers & the 0-4 Niners led by a rookie and inexperienced QB's. You have Green Bay struggling with the Lions, who lost to the Bears and the Bears beat Dallas & Green Bay, but loses to the pathetic looking Giants, who lost to Indy big, but lost to Jax who is the most inconsistent team in the league. You have Washington losing to the Rams, but beat the Eagles last night, have a shootout with Houston, who lost to Dallas, when Washington beat Dallas in week 1.

This is a WHACKED out league this year. Any team can beat any team. One team looks dominant one week, lays down the next week, comes our firing, then loses big that next week. Any Given Sunday is the norm this year. Every team is all over the place BUT the Steelers IMHO.

Teams have started off 5-0 in the past just to end the season 9-7 or worse. Hot starts due to lackluster teams in the schedule. They did this last year, it could happen again. I'd rather the Steelers start 1-3 and end the season 11-5 or 12-4 than start 3-1 and end the season 9-7 again... Maybe I'm too much of a glass half empty type of person.

Why would ANYONE want to start the season 1-3? That's just not smart thinking no matter if teams start hot and not finish. History shows that if you start off 0-3, 1-3, 1-4, then all hope could be lost down the stretch. Of course teams like the Colts and Chargers can rebound from starts like that, but don't mistaken them teams for the norm of wanting to start of at 1-3 only to finish 11-5 because it rarely, rarely happens, if not ever. You want a fast start. Maintaining is the key and that's something that the Steelers have been SO good at, last year excluded even though we finished 8-8, winning our last 3/4 and missing the playoffs 1 lousy game.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Truly a team effort in the first 3 wins. Truly a team effort in the loss.

Mason & Boldin were outstanding. Have we all forgotten that Batch is a FOURTH string QB? Take some Xanax. Good grief.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
People say "whats wrong with a 3-1 record"
Well
3-1 record against 3 teams that aren't that great. Titans have not been that good, the Lions kept CJ to 2.3 yards a carry, better than the Steelers did.
Bucs only beat the Browns and the Panthers. Falcons aren't that good against good defenses. They were terrible against the 49er's until pulling out a win last minute.

Teams have started off 5-0 in the past just to end the season 9-7 or worse. Hot starts due to lackluster teams in the schedule. They did this last year, it could happen again. I'd rather the Steelers start 1-3 and end the season 11-5 or 12-4 than start 3-1 and end the season 9-7 again... Maybe I'm too much of a glass half emtpy type of person

Holy smokes! I wish Buckeye Fans would be this critical. Cupcake city.

The Colts lost to Houston & Jacksonville. How easy to carve that like a Thanksgiving turkey. The Saints lost to the Falcons. Shall we continue?
:wink02:

Curtain_of_Steel
10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I do not feel they were out played by the Tom Brady is Gay Ravens. As the ravens didnt play all that well.

Batch did a horrible job, he shouldve yanked him.

Lebeau, I hate to say, called a fair game at best.

BA didn't have a lot to work with when Batch couldve toss the rock down field.

El-Gonzo Jackson
10-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Bens fault for not being there to convert a 3rd down with 1:40 left in the game.

ETL
10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
George Bush

stb_steeler
10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Fact is, we had the lead, 14-10 with 2:00 to go. No excuse, one first down and it's OVER. Our defense stopped them TWICE.. count them TWICE on the goalline, once on 4th down. All our offense needed to do, was get one first down and the games over. We didn't do that because we beat ourselves with 2 false start penalties, and a holding penalty that gave Baltimore extra field position. Our defense broke, was mentally gassed, and got beat.

We had the game in our grasp, we make that ONE first down after the defense's beautifual goaline stand, we aren't talking about Houshmanterrorists TD catch, OR Jeff Reed's 2 missed field goals. That possession on the 2 yard line told the story and we snatched defeat in the jaws of victory. WE HAD THEM.

I blame the offense for not picking up 10 yards, that set the stage.

I think i said that somewhere :rofl:

cloppbeast
10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Win as a team and lose as a team. You can't put it on any one player.

Charlie Batch had a really bad game from what I saw. He failed to notice wide open receivers several times. The sack on third down adding extra yards to the field goal was huge.

Jeff Reed missed two field goals. I can understand missing one, but there's no excuse for missing two in the same game.

Mike Wallace dropped a pass in the end zone. Granted, it was a difficult grab, but he's a professional WR and should bring it in.

Mendenhall averaged a less-than-stellar 3.2 yards per carry.

Neither Woodley not Harrison had a sack, although Harrison did draw a hold.

Farrior whiffed terribly on McGahee's touchdown.

Anyway, to make a long story short, this loss was a team effort.

steelerohio
10-04-2010, 08:04 PM
If I was voting last night, I'd be saying Reed. But this was a team loss so I voted everybody...

Upon seeing the Patriot suck option, I wanted to write in The Ravens may have won but they still suck...

NYC_Steeler
10-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Everyone gets a share of the blame. The Offense for stinking up the joint. The Defense for poor pass coverage - esp during the last 2 minutes of the game. Jeff Reed for choking. The offensive coaches for terrible play calling - 3rd and 4 and you go for the 40 yard bomb? The defensive coaches for their terrible play calling as well: almost no full-out blitzes against Flacco - too much time to throw. Players were too far off the receivers - gave them tons of space. And the the ultimate booby prize goes to the genius who sent Troy to blitz Flacco instead of defending the secondary with McFadden where the Ravens wound up with the TD - that was truly the stupid play of the day.

JEFF4i
10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Discipline. There can be mistakes, but the amount of PENALTIES in the last 3:00 minutes was terribad.

steelrush
10-05-2010, 04:44 AM
I went with the Patriots.
Man, those guys really ought to learn how to kick FGs…