PDA

View Full Version : some perspective on duce staley

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 10:57 PM
bill cowher dressing him for the sb and apologizing to him for not getting him a carry after it was all wrapped up told me all i need to know.

just a reminder- all staley has done for the steelers is have 7-100 yd games in his 1st 7 steeler starts (ok one was just for 98? against the cowboys) and was on pace to lead the league in rushing. then he stood by and didnt mess with or bitch about a winning formula that led the steelers to a sb title.

sure he got injured and has been injured before. rookie c. benson was injured last year. p. holmes got injured. young phenoms j. jones and k. jones have been injured for 2. years. e. james lost 2 productive years due to injury. t. davis lost his career. m. anderson? w. mcgahee? j. lewis? jerome bettis had his league leading season derailed by injury in 2001. that helped contribute to the steelers not reaching the sb. point is- injuries are part of being a running back.

sure staley got paid alot to sit and watch. but what is done is done. every penny spent last year was money well spent because it accomplished the goal of winning the sb. staley has restructured his contract to give back to the steelers and reward them for rewarding him.

with bettis retiring, staley is the best and perfect replacement, if healthy. much like dawson replacing webster, and hartings replacing dawson. (just an example. im not calling duce a hall of famer or anything)

i will be the first to admitt though, that he looked bigger than jerome on the sidelines, and he probably has a great deal of off season conditionning to do. then again they said that about jerome just about every year.

duce can do the job and be a valuable contributor to this team.

83-Steelers-43
03-10-2006, 11:27 PM

I agree 100%. When it comes to his skill, I have no doubts, but once again, his ability to stay healthy is my main concern. I have strong doubts.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I agree........but i would like to get a young power back in the draft this year........

Ohio Steeler
03-10-2006, 11:43 PM
I agree........but i would like to get a young power back in the draft this year........

I would like nothin more thenf or them to pick up a young power back in this years draft
like Deangelo Williams or Terrence Whitehead

someone with speed and power

pitt
03-10-2006, 11:55 PM
He has the ability to play but I'm not sure he has the ability to stay healthy.

tony hipchest
03-10-2006, 11:57 PM
I agree........but i would like to get a young power back in the draft this year........ this will happen. steelers will not go into camp with fewer than 4 backs, especially after losing both jerome and duce in the preseason last year. adding 2 new backs to the mix isnt out of the question. last year we lost n. herron off the practice squad to green bay.

as far as injury it can happen as easilly to duce as it could to c. benson or l. johnson or even l.t. or alexander. it will be a new year and the slate will be wiped clean as far as his past is concerned. another multi game injury though and im probably ready to cut him too.

SCSteeler4Life
03-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I work with Staley's agent brother, he was given assurance that he would play a big role in there offense this coming season. He was healthy this year for 3/4 of the season, and we chose not to use him I think out of respect for THE BUS, Staley has proven himself to be a team player and deserves a shot again. He got a bad rep in Philly. I think he will be a big contributor next year maybe 400-600 yds and around 8 td's.

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm still liking the Humes pick in RD 3 as Duce's replacement (For next season or this season if Duce does get hurt).

BlitzburghRockCity
03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
If Duce stays healthy, he'll be the feature back opposite Willie; there is no doubt about it.

Stlrs4Life
03-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I agree, if he can only stay healthy, Duce can be the man.

SteelerMurf
03-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Besides all the 100 yard dominating games in 2004, remember how well he did coming off cold vs. the Packers.

I think he will be well rested and ready to take on a lot bigger roll than Bettis did last year.

Like someone else said he was healthy almost the entire year but Bettis was not going to sit, Parker is our starter, and V. Haynes is a superb 3rd down back and Special teams guy. No room most of the time on the active roster every week.

I really think Duce will be great. I still want a RB on the first day of the draft. For sure.

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 02:38 PM
It should be added that Duce Staley was Brian Westbrook before Westbrook became a household name. Not only can Duce rush, he's also a crackerjack receiver out of the backfield...he's worth 40-60 catches a year if he's utilized right. he's also still one of the best blocking backs in the NFL.

If healthy, he's a guy that can literally take over a game...

Livinginthe past
03-11-2006, 04:28 PM
bill cowher dressing him for the sb and apologizing to him for not getting him a carry after it was all wrapped up told me all i need to know.

just a reminder- all staley has done for the steelers is have 7-100 yd games in his 1st 7 steeler starts (ok one was just for 98? against the cowboys) and was on pace to lead the league in rushing. then he stood by and didnt mess with or bitch about a winning formula that led the steelers to a sb title.

sure he got injured and has been injured before. rookie c. benson was injured last year. p. holmes got injured. young phenoms j. jones and k. jones have been injured for 2. years. e. james lost 2 productive years due to injury. t. davis lost his career. m. anderson? w. mcgahee? j. lewis? jerome bettis had his league leading season derailed by injury in 2001. that helped contribute to the steelers not reaching the sb. point is- injuries are part of being a running back.

sure staley got paid alot to sit and watch. but what is done is done. every penny spent last year was money well spent because it accomplished the goal of winning the sb. staley has restructured his contract to give back to the steelers and reward them for rewarding him.

with bettis retiring, staley is the best and perfect replacement, if healthy. much like dawson replacing webster, and hartings replacing dawson. (just an example. im not calling duce a hall of famer or anything)

i will be the first to admitt though, that he looked bigger than jerome on the sidelines, and he probably has a great deal of off season conditionning to do. then again they said that about jerome just about every year.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

But I dont think you can say that everything that happened last year was a 'good thing' just because the Steelers won the SB.

There were certain things that the Steelers had to overcome in order to win it all - Staley's permanent place on the sidelines was one of them.

I certainly dont think you can say that the money given to Staley last year was 'well spent' just because of the end result, genuine cheerleaders are alot more attractive to the eye and the wallet.

I noticed a thread about Duce restructuring his contract - are the majority of Steeler fans content to have Duce run for 350 yards (which is the sort of output Jerome achieved) this year on that sort of money ?

NM

MichiSteeler
03-11-2006, 04:42 PM
After seeing the Green Bay game and all of those good games last year I personally, would like to have Duce be our starter, baring injuries as usual. Its just my personal preference that we have a big or atleast biggER back as the starter, Willie hasnt shown much this year, his best games were against the amazing defenses of the texans and titans... Besides his 75 yarder in the super bowl he did NOTHING in the playoffs... And he can hardly run between the tackles.. So im just not convinced that willie is the right one for the job.

tony hipchest
03-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I noticed a thread about Duce restructuring his contract - are the majority of Steeler fans content to have Duce run for 350 yards (which is the sort of output Jerome achieved) this year on that sort of money ?

NM

how do you know cowher is gonna limit him to 350 yds? why dont you tell me how patfans feel about paying c. dillon all that money to give them 350 years next season? how did they feel about paying bruschi for sitting at home recovering from a stroke? i guess if they didnt have him on the cheap they woulda just cut him immediately. same with harrison (see ty law)

if you look at the duce vs. willie thread youll see what i think duce's contribution will be

you seem to forget the steelers were prepared to overcome the things they had to overcome last season by having adequate depth on the bench, especially at the running back position. patriots cant say the same. remember the steelers started the season without their #1 and #2 running backs. joey porter was missing too along with 2/5 of their offensive line that paved the way to the #2 rushing game the previous season. money well spent.

83-Steelers-43
03-11-2006, 04:52 PM
"Besides his 75 yarder in the super bowl"

That specific run helped change the face of that game. As did the one in Cincy earlier in the year. The kid had a game breaking run during the biggest game of his life. Before Willie, I can't remember the last back that could break off a run like that for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

1202 yards and a 4.7 avg is no joke. He actually broke off 131 yards against Cincinnati. While I agree he doesn't pick up the six or eight yard gains your would like to see on a first or second down, the guy is still young and basically finished actually playing in his first whole season in the NFL. Practice will help this kid over time in my opinion, and when that happens, not only will he be able to change the face of a game (which he does now), but he will also be able to pick up those 6 to 8 yards a pop. He has also proven that he has the durability to last sixteen games or more. While I agree Willie still has some things to learn, which is understandable, I don't think your giving the kid enough credit. Just my opinion and at the same time I respect yours.

Give him time.

daleemnm
03-11-2006, 05:13 PM
Willie is doing an awesome job considering he only played 5 GAMES in college.

noto45
03-12-2006, 05:07 PM
lets face it the Steelers are not going to pay big bucks for anything.... Duce is all we get and he aint no BUS!!

Livinginthe past
03-12-2006, 06:10 PM
how do you know cowher is gonna limit him to 350 yds? why dont you tell me how patfans feel about paying c. dillon all that money to give them 350 years next season? how did they feel about paying bruschi for sitting at home recovering from a stroke? i guess if they didnt have him on the cheap they woulda just cut him immediately. same with harrison (see ty law)

if you look at the duce vs. willie thread youll see what i think duce's contribution will be

you seem to forget the steelers were prepared to overcome the things they had to overcome last season by having adequate depth on the bench, especially at the running back position. patriots cant say the same. remember the steelers started the season without their #1 and #2 running backs. joey porter was missing too along with 2/5 of their offensive line that paved the way to the #2 rushing game the previous season. money well spent.

I dont know why the Patriots have magically appeared in the conversation - they have absolutely nothing to do with the value the Steelers gained from having Duce Staley sitting on the sidelines.

Corey Dillon wasn't worth the money we paid him last year.

Even if we had won the SB again I would have said that.

It has been said more than once that Staley should fulfil the 'Bettis' role on the team next year - that amounts to about 350 yards in my estimate.

Bruschi is worth his weight in gold and transformed a mediocre D into a dominating one - he actually made an appearance in the post season.

Staley was in no way worth the money the Steelers paid for him last year - like I said you can pay a guy alot less to sit on the sidelines and say nice things about the guy who has taken his job.

Incidentally, the Pats lost their 3 top RB's to injury at the same time - I dont know how many RB's you seriously expect a team to carry?

NM

clevestinks
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Staley carrying for 350, hell that would be a great seson for him!

tony hipchest
03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I dont know why the Patriots have magically appeared in the conversation - they have absolutely nothing to do with the value the Steelers gained from having Duce Staley sitting on the sidelines.

Staley was in no way worth the money the Steelers paid for him last year - like I said you can pay a guy alot less to sit on the sidelines and say nice things about the guy who has taken his job.

NM
probably cause a patriots helmet magically appeared in a response to one of my posts, and it has everything to do with me illustrating a point. i have to put things in terms of patfandom with hopes that you understand.

you seem to not understand that players get hurt and you cannot take back the money you have already given them. the best you can hope to do is ask them to restructure which the steelers did. or in the patriots situation cut a player (ty law cause the players are unwilling to restructure). if t. bruschi was worth his weight in gold than i can clearly say a character guy like duce staley, who will be a big contributing factor next year was money well spent. i guess you think rodney harrison was a waste of money last year too?

Livinginthe past
03-13-2006, 12:28 AM
probably cause a patriots helmet magically appeared in a response to one of my posts, and it has everything to do with me illustrating a point. i have to put things in terms of patfandom with hopes that you understand.

you seem to not understand that players get hurt and you cannot take back the money you have already given them. the best you can hope to do is ask them to restructure which the steelers did. or in the patriots situation cut a player (ty law cause the players are unwilling to restructure). if t. bruschi was worth his weight in gold than i can clearly say a character guy like duce staley, who will be a big contributing factor next year was money well spent. i guess you think rodney harrison was a waste of money last year too?

Tony.

It is you who misunderstand - and an easy way to blur the picture is to bring another team into it.

Im not talking about taking money back, restructuring or whatever,

Im simply saying that Duce Staley was not worth the money the Steelers paid him last year.

I dont know how many Patriots examples you are going to need here tony - one last try....

Rodney Harrison spent most of last year injured on the sidelines - therefore he was not worth the money the Patriots paid for him - he was bad value for salary money.

NM

Steel Pit
03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Duce could very well be a major factor in the Steelers running game and "IF" he stays healthy he will certainly contribute more than 350 yards rushing. For those of you who have forgotten the first 7 games of the 2004 season, I will tell you that Duce Staley played some incredible football. Someone mentioned that Duce was looking "big" last year. Well Duce mentioned sometime around mid-season that he was going to get himself into the best shape of his life this off-season. He also felt that he may have added 2 years on to his career by sitting out this season. Don't be suprised if he's a 1600 to 1800yard RB in 2006.

DIESELMAN
03-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Steelers RB Duce Staley is expected to complete his contract restructuring Monday, March 13, that will reduce his $2.5 million salary by around $1 million......

SteelerFanInCA
03-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I still have lots of faith in Duce. I beleive he can still get the job done. Hopefully we have seen the last of his injuries.

HburgXL06
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Bettis is the BUS

Parker is a Mustang Cobra

And if Duce is healthy he can be a Freight Train. Let's not forget Haynes is still around too. I agree we need to get another strong RB in the draft just as much as we will need to get a strong receiver but Duce has show and stated he is a team player so he deserves another chance.

BuFu

Haiku_Dirtt
03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
I like Duce. But I'd place my bets that he is injured if not in the preseason then by week four. The Steelers may be telling Duce's agent that he'll be a priority in the running game next year but I don't believe for one minute - or second - that they actually trust his body.

He had no choice but to restructure his contract. Who would sign him AND pay him? Okay. Maybe the Redskins.

I would love to believe he'll play in 10 games next season but the pragmatic side of me is asking... knee, hamstring or quad? Place your bets in that order.

SteelersWyo
03-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Everyone says "if Duce can stay healthy". Well guess what. He has'nt and most likely can't. He stinks. We need a reliable, productive back and Duce is not it. Stop making him into something he is not. Unless its a loser, then you've got it!!

MattsMe
03-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Duce has something (besides size) that we desparately need in our running game - Patience.
Parker, like most lightning quick runners, doesn't have it...yet.

Duce has the patience, and the confidence, to wait for blocks. I think he'll be be a valuable asset next season.