PDA

View Full Version : who to watch at las vegas 400

tony hipchest
03-11-2006, 01:43 AM
no race gets more betting action in vegas than the daimler chrysler 400 at none other than las vegas motor speedway. but if youre into betting the longshots this may not be the race for you. no other race in recent memory seems to be as much of a coinflip as this one. i usually like to wait till final practice to make predictions but at this track i dont think it matters too much (final practice may be rained out anyways.

moreso than last weekend, this track is owned by roush drivers with hendrick picking up the slack. other than sterling marlin, no car other than one owned by roush (5 wins) or hendrick(2) has won in the tracks 9 year history. zzzzzzz you say?

while we have just covered 9 potential winners in the race you cant leave out defending champion t. stewart or hometown favorite k. busch.

while i usually like to try and pick a darkorse of the race, in this one a darkhorse really has no shot (freak accidents and amazing pit strategy guffaws do happen though)

my darkhorse would have to be k. kahne. added to that, an up and comer like the wreckless kyle bush or vickers, or someone with a new but great team like j. mcmurray or kurt bush. jeff burton used to own this track and has a great qualifying position and can be considered a darkhorse. ryan newman could win any race and noone should be suprised.

i really dont know how to sort my top 5 other than the fact that if i had to put money on any driver to win the cup right now it would be matt kenseth. im getting a great feeling from this team this year. one like the one where he tore off 2 wins in his 1st 3 races in his defense of his only championship. that tear began at vegas where he won the following year. after his lucky preformance and win last weekend, i am looking at him to show his skill on sunday. picking who is most likely to finish in the top 5 is easy. sorting it out is a crapshoot (fitting for a vegas race)

1. m. kenseth riding a huge wave of momentum and has had strong car last 2 races
2. t. stewart defending series champion who can win anywhere, any week
3. j. johnson defending race winner and this points leader has been running up front for years it seems.
4. g. biffle like kenseth last week, really needs to rebound and this is the type of race he can easilly dominate, plus he has his 2nd career pole
5. kurt busch wants to win this race almost more than any other. the hometown favorite has many intangibles going into this race (he has outqualified ryan newman in the last 2 races and has rustys great equipment.)

while not quite a bold prediction dont expect a race with alot of lead changes or alot of wrecks. follow the leader will be in order. probably not to many engine failures or debris cautions on a 400 mile race. i am banking on jeff green and scott riggs to have impressive runs. a top 15 for me qualifies as impressive but a top 10 for either of them isnt out of the question. b. labonte could crack the top 15 and terry would have an excellent day with a top 20. i dont think 1 driver leads 50% of the laps on sunday.

pick your winner/ top 5

DIESELMAN
03-11-2006, 02:32 AM
1.J. Johnson
2.Matt Kenseth
3.Greg Biffle
4.Elliot Sadler
5.Mark Martin

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 08:40 AM
To tell you the truth, I can't wait for them to get off these cookie cutters and onto some real tracks like Bristol and Martinsville...

tony hipchest
03-11-2006, 01:02 PM
what sucks is after all the build up and anticipation for the daytona 500 it takes 4 weeks to get to a real track like atlanta, which usually puts on a great race every year and side by side racing used to be the norm. 5 weeks is way too long to wait to get to a non downforce track like bristol. it was much better when rockingham was the 2nd race of the season and atlanta the 3rd, with no bye week.

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, I think weather has a lot ot do with it...LV and CA are both pretty dry and warm that early on, so it makes some sense...

tony hipchest
03-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, I think weather has a lot ot do with it...LV and CA are both pretty dry and warm that early on, so it makes some sense... ironically enough vegas has had a little snow in the air, freakishly cold weather, and rain showers this weekend while nyc is having a heat wave. california wouldnt be so bad if it lived up to some of the races its sister track in michigan has put on (even michigan has turned into a bore lately) and las vegas has unveiled plans to make it less wide and increase the banking to 20 degrees. this should help alot as far as creating side by side racing.

tony hipchest
03-11-2006, 06:12 PM
after thinking about it i dont really think stewart will finish 2nd. he may not even get a top 5 especially with kyle bush posting the fastest time in the final practice. in fact im thinking, barring any mistakes, kule bush may finish ahead of his teammate j. johnson. but as of now, im bumping stewart down to 6th and kyle behind his brother kurt.

SteelerzGirl
03-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Jimmie's gonna win. I put a voodoo curse on Kenseth...tehehe. :wink:

SteelerzGirl
03-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Yeeehawww! How 'bout that finish for Jimmie there, boys! :bouncy:

I love him! LOL

tony hipchest
03-12-2006, 07:47 PM
great picks deiselman #1 and #2 ill have to hit you twice (and great pick steelerzgirl)

SteelerzGirl
03-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks, tony... Now I get to see his good lookin' hot self again in Victory Lane! :smile:

I was sweatin' bullets there w/Kenseth. Geesh... He's too darn good...(lol)!

DIESELMAN
03-12-2006, 08:01 PM
great picks deiselman #1 and #2 ill have to hit you twice (and great pick steelerzgirl)

Thanks bro.......didn't do good with my C guy he finished 40th OUCH!!!

BB2W
03-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Jimmie's gonna win. I put a voodoo curse on Kenseth...tehehe. :wink:
OK, don't do that again. Kenseth was on his way to victory with two laps to go and he starts to lose his engine... He may have been able to hang on for the win, but on top of that a caution comes out. You evil women. :banging:

I actually started Jimmie this week in our fantasy league but I still root for Kenseth, and I would have liked to see him tie two wins together. Jimmie is pulling out to a nice lead in the points.

tony hipchest
03-13-2006, 05:46 PM
I actually started Jimmie this week in our fantasy league but I still root for Kenseth, and I would have liked to see him tie two wins together. Jimmie is pulling out to a nice lead in the points.

kenseth was still the highest scoring driver of the week. im suprised theres not a 5-10pt bonus for actually winning the race. i do like the 10 bonus for leading the most laps. nice little safety net for a driver who may fall off late or someone like biffle last week who blows and engine after dominating.

SteelerzGirl
03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
OK, don't do that again. Kenseth was on his way to victory with two laps to go and he starts to lose his engine... He may have been able to hang on for the win, but on top of that a caution comes out. You evil women. :banging:

:rofl:

Yes, I'm an evil woman...(lol)! When they said Kenseth was starting to lose his engine, I knew I was in trouble with you. I was just playin' with you, of course, when I said I put a voodoo curse on Kenseth, but I knew I would be hearing about it...(lol). :wink:

Jimmie is leading in points, but Kenseth is making me nervous. He's definitely a force to be reckoned with. It's going to be a great NASCAR season. :smile:

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Couple things...first off, Darian Grubb deserves MAJOR props for the job he's done in Knaus' absence. I didn't think he'd be up to the task adjusting at these difficult and cantankerous tracks, but he really stepped it up...he'll be sitting on another drivers box next year for sure.

Secondly, great driving by Jimmie...if you're gonna lead only one lap, might as well make it the last, right?

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 10:55 AM
i think we can all agree now that the 4 race suspension of knaus was a token penalty that really had no punitive effect. even a 25 point penalty which some thought would spell doom and gloom for the #48 team wouldve proven to be minimal.

it was good to see a clean pass for the win. i was thinking the art of driving around a driver was lost in this day and age when you can drive through a driver and not face any back lash. speaking of no backlash its good to see that stewart is in midseason idiot form. i dont mind the aggressive driving as much as the whining, pointing fingers, and calling out other drivers. the holier than every other driver gets a little old when youve had as many run ins as he has. good late call on my part to bump him out of my top 5 and bump up the shrub.

as for grubb, if i were to speculate where he may go if he gets away at all, it probably wont be out of the hendrick camp. id say if b. vickers dont start producing like the average roush driver look for grubb to crewchief there. hendrick still has loyalties to vickers courtesy of his late son and wants to put him in the best possible situation to win.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 11:19 AM
i think we can all agree now that the 4 race suspension of knaus was a token penalty that really had no punitive effect. even a 25 point penalty which some thought would spell doom and gloom for the #48 team wouldve proven to be minimal.

Nah, I'm still gonna disagree. I think the Knaus suspension was supposed to be more damaging, but Grubb proved to be up for the task...of course points hurt more than anything, but he was caught before the race.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Nah, I'm still gonna disagree. I think the Knaus suspension was supposed to be more damaging, but Grubb proved to be up for the task...of course points hurt more than anything, but he was caught before the race. if it was supposed to be more damaging it wouldve been more damaging. nascar is more in tune with its teams and participants than any other sport. they are not gonna severely handicapp one of the favorites for the chase and one of their hot commodities. the suspension of knaus was a formality and a shot across the bow. if i knew it wasnt gonna hurt jimmie before the fact you can rest assured nascar knew too.

if they want to, nascar can still dock points for infractions before the race , even if the infraction is corrected before the cars hit the track on raceday. i believe this is what happened to terry labonte and HOF racing.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
So, let me get this straight. NASCAR presciently KNEW that Darian Grubb was going to be as good or better than Chad Knaus?

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 11:59 AM
nascar knew THEY werent gonna put the #48 team in a hole. could jj have wrecked? sure? engine failure? of course. bad pit call by grubb? just as likely as with knaus or any other cc. you think grubb was a complete suprise unknown to anyone outside of the #48 team? nascar knows ALL the people working in the garage. and nascar knows what every team has as far as talent goes. they definitely got their finger on the pulse of the teams and sport.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Alright, I see that you are very certain of NASCAR's intuitiveness...however, not even Hendrick knew what they had in Grubb...if they did, he would have been sitting on someone else's pit box, whether it be a Busch car or Brian Vickers.

Regardless, you are seeing a vast pro-Hendrick conspiracy where there ain't one, and it's clear through past conversations that nothing will dissuade you of such notions.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
come on suit. just cause im right about johnson not missing a beat doesnt mean im seeing a "vast pro hendrick conspiracy". infact the only people i really saw who thought this would be a significant penalty were mainly hendrick fans. kind of odd, you would think they would be more in tune with their teams.

as far as nascar is concerned im really just pointing out that they are not as clueless or stupid as you make them out to be. and to say not even hendrick knew about grubb is totally off the wall. the dude is young, just like latarte (whose box was he on before gordons?). everybody gets there start somewhere. just like c. knaus was a virtual unknown. hendrick employs 350+ people, all very GOOD people. are you now telling me hendrick doesnt know who he has working for him or their talents? how do you think they were able to lose their head engine builder randy dorton and not miss a beat? you can chalk it up to me hatin on jimmy, i chalk it up to knowing the hendrick org. perhaps more than you give me credit for. its pretty clear to see that jj is not gonna struggle on tracks such as daytona, california, las vegas or atlanta just like if knaus gets suspended for charlotte (where jj has won the last 4 races) he wont slip any there either. i know this and nascar knows this.

just cause i say the sun will rise in the morning doesnt mean i believe theres a conspiracy against the moon. its common knowledge that nascar takes care of those who have made the sport what it is, whether its roush, dei, hendrick, childress, penske, or veterans such as rusty, dale sr, jarrett, waltrip, gordon, petty, etc. not quite a conspiracy but definitely knowing where your bread is buttered.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 05:05 PM
The penalty was designed to take points indirectly, by weakening the team and taking away the best guy in the business at making in-race adjustments, instead of directly stripping points (which pisses sponsors off). Regardless, had Knaus been caught post-race, NASCAR would have stripped points.

To think that the number 2 guy on the box was good enough to duplicate what the best pit crew chief in the business was capable of, and that NASCAR knew as much, is, again, absurd.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
thats not nearly as absurd as saying hendrick had no idea in what he had with grubb.

the penalty is a deterrent, just like the fine. you think the fine was designed to take food off the table? nascar dont "indirectly" take points away. they either take them or they dont. the penalty is there more to punish the crew chief not the team as you contend what you think the penalty was designed to do is an opinion just like a non champion winning crewcheif being the best in the game.

but yeah i guess im absurd for knowing grubb could do exactly what he did and since everyone in nascar is stupider than me for not being able to come to that conclusion on their own. keep in mind if i was wrong i would give props to knaus for being much more important than i gave him credit for. then again i know there will be races where his expertice is greatly needed and grubb cant carry the weight. daytona, lv, calif, and atl. just arent those races.

i bet you if you got several folks heavilly involved in nascar in a room for an off the record conversation (say m. helton, humpy wheeler, j. roush and hendrick) and asked if they would be suprised if jj won 2 of these first 4 races without knaus you would have 4 people say they werent suprised at all.

i do know im right and you should be able to accept the compliment and my recognition of what it takes to put a great TEAM together in nascar instead of trying to spin me as some absurd hater on an anti jimmie/hendrick agenda. like i said most people knew the "penalty" wasnt gonna hurt the team and most people were dead on right including those on the inside of nascar and those with knowledge of the inner workings of the teams and their dynamics.

SteelerzGirl
03-14-2006, 05:58 PM
The penalty was designed to take points indirectly, by weakening the team and taking away the best guy in the business at making in-race adjustments, instead of directly stripping points (which pisses sponsors off). Regardless, had Knaus been caught post-race, NASCAR would have stripped points.

You hit the nail on the head right there, Suit. :smile:

infact the only people i really saw who thought this would be a significant penalty were mainly hendrick fans. kind of odd, you would think they would be more in tune with their teams.

I don't think this is odd at all. Using your logic, tony, I suppose we, as Steelers fans, should not get upset if Cowher is ever ejected from a game, or be upset if the Steelers get a significant penalty. That doesn't mean Steelers fans "aren't in touch with their team." Of course fans of Hendrick Motorsports, and Jimmie specifically, were going to be upset.

With that said, Grubb hasn't "cheated" during his reign, and Jimmie is still winning races! :bouncy: So, without further ado...

"... I want to dedicate it to all the haters of the 48 team." ~ Jimmie Johnson

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/oly_full.56726357gl014_daytona_500.jpg

And then there's Jimmie's victory this past Sunday, also under Grubb...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060313/capt.c5c48865159545dcbb5733810c0c9b3f.nascar_las_v egas_auto_racing_nvjh110.jpg

Yes, he's that good...(lol)! :wink:

And, tony... You are a Jimmie hater. You've admitted as much. In fact, I think you've admitted that it's your "job" to hate Hendrick Motorsports, or something of the like. I can pull the quote again for you if you would like.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 06:23 PM
The funny part is, all I read after Knaus was suspended was that Jimmie would suffer because the tracks coming up were tracks that needed a guy who could make adjustments on, and Knaus was the best...and I wasn't reading this at blogs or message boards, but from people like Marty Snyder and Lee Spencer and the like.

but yeah i guess im absurd for knowing grubb could do exactly what he did and since everyone in nascar is stupider than me for not being able to come to that conclusion on their own.

From 2/25:

darkhorses include: mark martin (who should never really be looked at as a darkhorse),
kasey kahne, jimmie johnson (only a darkhorse cause he is w/o knaus), and jamie mcmurray who has excellent equipment.

From 2/13:

it looks like they will wait until after the 500 to decide the length of the penalties which means if johnson sucks in the race knaus will be welcomed back. if he does real well they may suspend him another race or 2 just to prove a point. last thing they wanna do is hurt jj's chances by over penalizing his cheating crewcheif.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 06:32 PM
You hit the nail on the head right there, Suit. :smile:

I don't think this is odd at all. Using your logic, tony, I suppose we, as Steelers fans, should not get upset if Cowher is ever ejected from a game, or be upset if the Steelers get a significant penalty. That doesn't mean Steelers fans "aren't in touch with their team." Of course fans of Hendrick Motorsports, and Jimmie specifically, were going to be upset.

And, tony... You are a Jimmie hater. You've admitted as much. In fact, I think you've admitted that it's your "job" to hate Hendrick Motorsports, or something of the like. I can pull the quote again for you if you would like."i think" yes please do. go find a post where i admitted i would gladly engage in smack about team hendrick, or something like that. but this isnt smack, this is facts. and im glad you brought up cowher. this isnt about being upset about a penalty or losing a coach. this is about knowing what youre team is capable of rebounding from. i KNOW hendricks team potential, capabilities, talent and history at the 4 tracks knaus was suspended for. as do most people. as does nascar.

if cowher was suspended for 2 games i would be PISSED but i would expect NO dropoff what so ever. because i know the right people are in place to sail the ship till he gets back. total confidence in lebeau, wisenhunt and most importantly russ grimm (cowher has already stated grimm would take over hc duties as part of his asst. hc job) its all part of being a great TEAM. i cant believe you and suit dont see this and thought the c. knaus suspension was gonna be so devastating. jeeezzzzz. 2 wins and what a second?:rolleyes: talk about overdramatic.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 06:47 PM
i cant believe you and suit dont see this and thought the c. knaus suspension was gonna be so devastating. jeeezzzzz. 2 wins and what a second?:rolleyes: talk about overdramatic.

Again, I was not alone. In analyzing what the experts had to say, even what the rumors were on Jayski, the scuttlebutt was that losing Knaus would hurt. It's easy in 20/20 hindsight to say that the 48 team was fine, but almost nobody thought that until well after the fact.

SteelerzGirl
03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
"i think" yes please do. go find a post where i admitted i would gladly engage in smack about team hendrick, or something like that.

(sigh) OK... Well, per your request...

:sofunny: just a warning. i like to trash team hendrick about as much as i do the patriots. the gordon comment was just bait. he got through insp. and got the outside pole. (any suprise?) the same cant be said for cheatin' jimmy! now im a rusty fan so i am pretty unbiassed when i say i think it was pretty rediculous of the hordes of fans (many hendrick) who insinuated that dei was getting hot plates.

And another in your last post...(lol).

2 wins and what a second?:rolleyes: talk about overdramatic.

And then, of course, there are those that Suit quoted above.

But what do I know? I'm just some dumb chick who remembers to put their lineup in every week in the SF NASCAR Fantasy League, and I don't spend nearly as much time on my computer as you. (shrugs)

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
The funny part is, all I read after Knaus was suspended was that Jimmie would suffer because the tracks coming up were tracks that needed a guy who could make adjustments on, and Knaus was the best...and I wasn't reading this at blogs or message boards, but from people like Marty Snyder and Lee Spencer and the like.

From 2/25:

From 2/13:i dont know what this post proves. i read the same stuff. just cause i read it i dont always agree with the experts because sometimes they suffer "paralysis from over analysis" plus they get paid to be objective. if they always said, "this is team hendrick, it wont hurt them at all" they would become tired and lose their jobs. the mass nascarfan public may not appreciate them saying what they may feel to be fact (as i did). either way just cause theyre "experts" dont mean i always buy what they say. "experts" were predicting a lull right after the hendrick plane went down as i predicted jimmie to not only win the race but go on a tear.

i dont know what the 2/25 post proves. put it back into context and look at the other listed "darkhorses" not one fits the true definition of a "darkhorse" as stated, the only reason i though jj wouldnt WIN that race was because of knaus not being there. he finished 2nd

the 2/13 post shows i was wrong in calling the length of the suspension by 1 week. whats your point? are you telling me nascar really wants to HURT jj's chances of making the chase? they wanna deter cheating....not take any strong contenders/ superstars of the sport out of the final 10 races for the cup. like i said, they know where their bread is buttered.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Exactly. You've managed to make an argument from just about every possible position, so that makes it difficult to nail you down on any single one.

This is tiresome...NASCAR did what they did, you see it one way, other people see it differently, and it's all ultimately water over the damn or under the bridge or whatever...

SteelerzGirl
03-14-2006, 07:34 PM
if cowher was suspended for 2 games i would be PISSED but i would expect NO dropoff what so ever. because i know the right people are in place to sail the ship till he gets back. total confidence in lebeau, wisenhunt and most importantly russ grimm (cowher has already stated grimm would take over hc duties as part of his asst. hc job) its all part of being a great TEAM. i cant believe you and suit dont see this and thought the c. knaus suspension was gonna be so devastating.

tony, don't get your conversation with Suit confused with the one with me. This is what I said regarding Knaus's suspension...

I'm so pissed about this! Seems there were a lot of drivers disqualified. What's up with that?

I was just getting ready to post a thread regarding this very thing but you beat me to it, Jimmie hater...(lol).

Here's the article...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5329380

I said pretty much the same as what you did in your above quote regarding if Cowher were suspended for 2 games. I should point out, however, that Knaus was suspended for 4 races and is on probation for the rest of the season. It doesn't mean, however, that I don't believe in Jimmie, because I do. :wink:

Have a great evening.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Again, I was not alone. In analyzing what the experts had to say, even what the rumors were on Jayski, the scuttlebutt was that losing Knaus would hurt. It's easy in 20/20 hindsight to say that the 48 team was fine, but almost nobody thought that until well after the fact. and again, i read jaysky and heard all the scuttlebut and i though it was much ado about nothing. sometimes these experts hop on a bandwaggon train of thought and blow everything way out of proportion especially stuff like c. knaus is the best cc in the game and head and heels above everybody else. by that same train of thought i guess that makes jj automatically a better driver than jeff gordon. thats not a train of thought i buy into cause i know jg didnt forget how to drive and win overnight.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Exactly. You've managed to make an argument from just about every possible position, so that makes it difficult to nail you down on any single one.

dont confuse my stance on a c. knaus suspension (the correct one that jj wouldnt miss a beat) with my weekly picks of a race, especially when i have prefaced every pick of mine with saying hendrick owns (co-owns, has dominated, you get the picture) the race in question.

my picks of jj's finishes have accurately supported my stance that jj. wouldnt miss a beat. me thinking jj will finish 2nd or 6th in any given race is NOT making an argument from "just about every possible position". its called being objective and accurately calling a race. and no im not a kenseth fan. hes a cool dude and all, i just picked him the last 2 weeks cause i know hes gonna preform the way he has preformed. (i was off by 4 feet last week). just like i thought jg was gonna win the daytona 500.. nothing against jj or not supporting my stance on knauss being suspended, i just thought gordon would win, regardles of knaus' presence.

but youre right. this is getting tired. having to defend myself on a correct stance and all

you make it sound like knaus was winning every race before hand and by me not picking him to win every rece i am deviating from my statement that he wouldnt miss a beat. did he miss a beat? i will admit jj has done even better than i wouldve expected had knauss NOT been suspended. as posted i thought kenseth was more likely to win 2 of the 1st 3 than jj was.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Good. You win, we lose, let's move on...

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 08:14 PM
And, tony... You are a Jimmie hater. You've admitted as much. In fact, I think you've admitted that it's your "job" to hate Hendrick Motorsports, or something of the like. I can pull the quote again for you if you would like. im still waiting for the quote of me saying these things.

my "job"???:sofunny: i guess you'll hear what you want to hear though, right? nice misrepresentation of my statements. ive already admitted i will gladly engage in hendrick related smack or however you may twist that statement:

"go find a post where i admitted i would gladly engage in smack about team hendrick, or something like that." i knew what post you were talking about.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Good. You win, we lose, let's move on... good. as long as you all can accept that next week at atlanta i probably wont be picking jj to win (im sure he'll do great though) even though all the "experts" will be hopping on the jj and grubb are great bandwaggon and picking him. we'll see how practice and qualifying goes. i see a track where dodge could make some noise. kurt bush??????????

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 08:56 PM
At this point, I don't even know what position you are trying to defend, so...yeah...whatever.

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
looks like some of these so-called experts are starting to come around and figure out what i knew all along. but then again if he was such an "expert" he wouldnt be saying this in regards to jj's start: "scoring two victories and a second-place finish........... It marks the best three-race start in NASCAR history"

the expert forgets that the best 3 race start in the modern era is 3 wins, most recently done by jeff gordon my bad, the bud shootout dont count. in 97 gordon had 2 wins and a 4th to start the season along with the shootout. . anyways who does de los santos pick to win in atlanta? none other than jimmie johnson. go figure.

http://www.sportsline.com/autoracing/story/9305219
Power Rankings: No. 1 Johnson not lacking team leadership
By Brian De Los Santos
CBS SportsLine.com Staff Writer

Updated March 13

There's no stopping Jimmie Johnson at the moment. With crew chief Chad Knaus serving a four-race suspension, Johnson hasn't missed a beat scoring two victories and a second-place finish under substitute crew chief Darian Grubb.

It marks the best three-race start in NASCAR history and stands to get better as the series heads to Atlanta, where Johnson has four top fives in his past five trips to the track.

After his victory at Las Vegas was asked about keeping Grubbs as his permanent crew chief, but Johnson wasn't biting.

"Chad started this race team and picked Darian to be the race engineer and has brought him through the organization and has really shown us all what we're made of and what our talents are and what we can do," Johnson said.

"Chad is a huge asset to this race team and has built this team and has been at home working on the races ahead of us so we're prepared and ready when we get to them. We've had a very good record so far. Our cars have been very strong from all the work that Darian and Chad and everyone has done over the offseason.

"It's just really a team effort. I'm very pleased with this start. We're looking forward to having Chad back."

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 02:03 PM
this poll blew me away: http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5408192

who should be jj's crewcheif for the rest of the season?
grubb-58%
knaus-42%
total votes- 13690

also a good article by jeff hammond on the situation.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
You'll have to pardon me if I was a bit of a **** last night...I'm in the middle of Hellweek at work, and I'm also moving out of my girlfriends and getting my own place, and am in the process of all the bullshit, drama, and expenses involved in these types of things.

The upside? By the 25th (at the very latest), I will be "Free at last!"

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 06:33 PM
You'll have to pardon me if I was a bit of a **** last night...I'm in the middle of Hellweek at work, and I'm also moving out of my girlfriends and getting my own place, and am in the process of all the bullshit, drama, and expenses involved in these types of things.

The upside? By the 25th (at the very latest), I will be "Free at last!"

no sweat, and understood.

thats a pretty telling poll there, huh? fickle fans. all ready to push knaus out the door, thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Grubb already made it very clear that he may not EVER be a crew chief. He likes to fish and have some time to himself and stuff, and we all know there's no time for anything but racing when you are a crew chief.

I always chuckle at any kind of internet polls about NASCAR...there's still enough ole rednecks out there who mess up any chance of the sample being anywhere close to accurate.