PDA

View Full Version : Chad Brown to be released.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-20-2005, 08:58 PM
KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) - The Seattle Seahawks are ready to release linebacker Chad Brown to create salary cap room for free agent pickup Jamie Sharper, team president and general manager Tim Ruskell confirmed Wednesday.

Seattle's front office has spent the past month trying to rework Brown's salary, but the 12-year veteran faces a big pay cut. He's scheduled to make $4.2 million. The team's proposal calls for $1 million plus incentives for next fall.
"It's more than what we're willing to do," said Peter Schaffer, Brown's agent.

here's the rest.. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3555940?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

HinesWard4Life8682
04-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Chad brown is too old and slow now

ironcitychef
04-20-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm surprised that more players are not starting to figure this system out. Now instead of your salary going up in a straight line, you are more likely to get a bell curve salary deal. So why don't more players just go with it. Is Chad going to light it up this year and get 15 sacks? No. But he can still play a part. If he gets cut and no one signs then he doesn't get paid anymore. But had he just sucked it up, reworked his deal, he could have easily gotten a 2-3 year couple million more dollars deal. Must be nice not to need a few million dollars. Plus them lowering the salary helps sign more pieces of the puzzle.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2005, 12:09 PM
somebody will still come along and throw a bunch of cash at him, so he'll be ok. There's always somebody willing to overpay an older player.

ironcitychef
04-21-2005, 02:30 PM
But it is about the signing bonus. Why not do a friendly deal with your current team, get sure bonus money up front, and save on having to move your family or what not. Look at T.O. big contract, but not all of it is sure money. Glad Bettis saw it this way.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
yeah, HUGE difference between jerome and TO ... Jerome knows his role w/ this team and whats expected of him and what it means to a city and the Steelers, to keep him around..so he plays for less money... TO, well, lets not even go there.

but as far as chad brown goes, he'll get his payday.

BB2W
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I would take him back........he might be able to pass rush.

The Packers have already contacted free agent LB Chad Brown.
NFL Network reported that Denver, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh have also already shown interest. A deal before the Draft is entirely possible, even though Brown was only cut

geran42o
04-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Iwouldn't mind seeing Chad back in the Black and Gold, but only at the right price. No way should we overpay for him

Brownskikass
04-22-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm surprised that more players are not starting to figure this system out. Now instead of your salary going up in a straight line, you are more likely to get a bell curve salary deal. So why don't more players just go with it. Is Chad going to light it up this year and get 15 sacks? No. But he can still play a part. If he gets cut and no one signs then he doesn't get paid anymore. But had he just sucked it up, reworked his deal, he could have easily gotten a 2-3 year couple million more dollars deal. Must be nice not to need a few million dollars. Plus them lowering the salary helps sign more pieces of the puzzle.

Yup, you took the words right outta my mouth....HEs a shadow of what he used to be and shouldve taken a pay cut.....The NFL is a buisness however....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-27-2005, 11:28 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05118/495694.stm

The Steelers want to sign veteran linebacker Chad Brown, and he said he wants to come here in the worst way, but there remains one small matter standing between them: A contract.

Yet Brown sounded as if he would take less money to rejoin the Steelers than he might elsewhere.

"The level of interest is very high," Brown said during his visit with the team yesterday. "It's tough to replicate the Steelers' experience anyplace else. This is a very special place to play, and to come full circle and end my career here would be awesome."

Brown met with the coaches, and the Steelers' medical staff evaluated him. A three-time Pro Bowler, he battled several injuries the past three seasons, including a broken fibula and a knee injury that limited him to seven games last season with Seattle, but he finished the year healthy.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-28-2005, 11:39 PM
http://www.steelers.com/MediaContent/2005/04/27/10/05_Brown_Chad_1_52711.jpg

ironcitychef
04-29-2005, 12:48 AM
I think I can almost see it. Guys who love the game playing in out tin the burgh. Brown and Law making spot appearances for a great year in Steel Town.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2005, 03:12 PM
bring them in for a super bowl run, then let them retire w/ a championship ring.. geez if we do that we may end up w/ half the team retiring :toofunny:

clevestinks
04-29-2005, 03:15 PM
You know I was against the Chad Brown thing in the beginning, but the more of Blitz`s replies I read, he is starting to convince me. Maybe Chad should hire him as his agent?? I was a huge Chad fan when he was here b4.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2005, 03:18 PM
:D thanks cleve, I think! ;) Really though, chad isnt a longer term answer like haggans can be on the outside, who's still young.. but I keep coming back to this whole depth issue here. We used damn near every player on the roster last season at somepoint, and I'd hate to have that happen again and we cant do it like we did last year w / our reserves stepping up so well.