View Full Version : Roethlisberger finds his rhythm quickly upon return

mesaSteeler
10-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Roethlisberger finds his rhythm quickly upon return
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_702896.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger's first offering at his first practice of the regular season Tuesday was a strike to wide receiver Mike Wallace, who believes the long pass is a sign of things to come.

"I hope so," Wallace said when asked about his instant connection with Roethlisberger. "Hopefully, that means we'll get a lot of that two Sundays from now."

Said Roethlisberger about his first toss: "I wanted to get it up there early for Mike, and he made a good catch."

The Steelers' franchise quarterback makes his regular-season debut Oct. 17 against the Cleveland Browns at Heinz Field following the bye week.

How anxious was Roethlisberger to rejoin his teammates after missing the first four games because of his suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy?

"He said it was like the first day of school. He was the first one out there," wide receiver Hines Ward said.

Ward, who is normally Roethlisberger's favorite receiver, didn't practice. That left Wallace as the quarterback's first target on his initial throw.

"I felt like it went pretty well," Roethlisberger told a cluster of reporters in front of his locker. "First impressions, I thought it was good. Normally it takes a while to get going, a couple of weeks. But I felt (yesterday) went well and see what (today) holds."

Probably more of the same, according to veteran wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

Randle El was impressed with how well Roethlisberger threw the ball despite not having practiced with the team since the end of training camp.

"In warmups, I had a drop because I didn't get my head around quick enough, and it kind of shot through me," Randle El said. "His arm is ready to go."

Said Ward: "He was firing it left and right. We're definitely a better ballclub with him on the field."

Roethlisberger wasn't worried about his arm strength. His primary concern was accuracy and developing chemistry with his receivers. During his four-game absence, Roethlisberger worked out with a quarterbacks coach at Hampton High School.

"I knew my arm would be good. I knew it would be strong. It was just a matter of hitting the guys," Roethlisberger said. "Timing putting it out there."

Roethlisberger apologized for his receivers having to work with him for about 30 minutes so they could all become familiar with each other.

"I have to get (it) back," said Roethlisberger of his timing. "I don't think it will take as long as I thought."

Ward said one important aspect of the bye week is that it will "give Ben enough time to get back in rhythm."

The Steelers will practice again today and Thursday before taking the weekend off. Preparations for the Browns' game resume Monday.

"Getting back into throwing form," said Ward of the adjustments Roethisberger must make. "It's a lot different throwing to professional players than high school guys."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

mesaSteeler
10-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Roethlisberger appears ready to go
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/october/05/roethlisberger-appears-ready-to-go.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Tuesday October 5, 2010 11:53 PM

PITTSBURGH — It didn’t take long for Ben Roethlisberger to prove he’s ready to play again.

Tuesday in his first practice in close to five weeks, he went deep on the first play of 11-on-11 drills and connected on a bomb to Mike Wallace.

“I just wanted to get one out there early to Mike and he made a good catch,” Roethlisberger said.

It was a very good day for Roethlisberger, who missed the first four games serving a suspension.

Because it rained Tuesday, practice was moved indoors at team headquarters. But that didn’t dampen the Steelers’ spirits as they reunited with their star quarterback.

“He’s a franchise quarterback, and it’s great having him back, seeing him out there smiling and running around with the guys,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “I was talking to him on the way in and asked him how it feels to be back. He said it was like his first day of school. He was the first one here today. He couldn’t wait to get out there with the guys.

“I’m glad to have him back. He definitely makes us a better club with us having him out there on the field. We’re 3-1 without him, but to get to where we want to go, we have to have him out there.”
Advertisement Click Here

Because the Steelers don’t play this weekend, they will only practice again today and Thursday and then be off until Monday. Roethlisberger’s first game will be Oct. 17 against Cleveland.

“Today was a good step,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t think it will take as long (to be game ready) as I thought. It’s almost like riding a bike.”

“His conditioning is not a concern at all and if you lay eyes on him you’ll understand what I’m talking about,” coach Mike Tomlin said on his weekly radio show. “He’s in great physical shape. His arm is in great shape. He’s ready for work.

“It’s just about being sharp, being football sharp, being able to recognize and identify pressure packages and change protection points and distribute the ball. Ultimately you’ve got to be able to do that under duress and sometimes the only duress that is legitimate is inside stadiums. So we understand that his progress is going to be measured on how he does in the stadium next Sunday.”

SoCalFan
10-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Looks good in the footage and based on what players and coaches are saying,I think he will be fine,who knows maybe better than ever!!!

NYC_Steeler
10-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I can only hope that he plays well under pressure in a real game. Practice is one thing, the real deal is another. I'm just glad that he's back.