PDA

View Full Version : Browns sign 2 Offensive Linemen

BlackNGold203
03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
per espn....

With money to spend and holes to fill, the Cleveland Browns struck quickly in free agency Saturday, reaching agreements with a pair of high-profile unrestricted free agents who will dramatically alter the landscape of the team's offensive line unit

The Browns have signed center LeCharles Bentley of New Orleans, the top-ranked player overall in ESPN.com's ratings of unrestricted free agents. The team also reached an agreement in principle with Atlanta Falcons left offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer, ESPN.com's 26th-rated free agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364025

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Whoops, just posted the same...mods, please delete my thread...

Browns just got a little better...
Actually, maybe a lot. Just heard on Fox Sports that they signed LeCharles Bentley to play guard and Kevin Shaffer to replace Sheldon at LOT. ESPN's Len Pasquarelli had Bentley as the top free agent player in the NFL. Those are both strong signings...

Ambridge
03-11-2006, 05:39 PM
LeCharles should feel right at home going from Fecal City to Turd Town.

Ambridge
03-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I heard that the Clowns just signed Joe Jurevicius.

Very interesting.

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Bentley has a mean streak a mile wide...in his last year at OSU, Tyson Walter (Who is still in the NFL playing OT for some team or other) pissed off Bentley at practice. They had a fight after practice, and it consisted of two hits: Bentley hitting Walter, and Walter hitting the ground.

tony hipchest
03-11-2006, 05:54 PM
i didnt give it too much thought, but i did wonder if it was worth it to cut hartings and okolbi to sign bentley. in the end i thought no but 6 years for 36 mil. seems like a pretty good deal. especially considering what hartings was due to make this season on a 4-5 year old deal.

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 05:57 PM
It was a great signing for Cleveland because Bentley will be playing guard but can take over for Jeff Faine at center if needed.

tony hipchest
03-11-2006, 05:59 PM
It was a great signing for Cleveland because Bentley will be playing guard but can take over for Jeff Faine at center if needed.
great deal and in 3 years i bet it will be looking like they got a bargain.

Ohio Steeler
03-11-2006, 06:05 PM
they still need alot more help then this to take the AFC North away from us

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 06:10 PM
But they are doing all the right things considering how many needs they have...

CantStop85
03-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Looks like Romeo has Cleveland moving in the right direction...they have now addressed their biggest need--the O-Line.

If Frye progresses quick enough, the AFC North could become very interesting very quickly.

BlackNGold203
03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
They're doing the right things....but like Boller...Frye is not the answer

Ohio Steeler
03-11-2006, 06:33 PM
They're doing the right things....but like Boller...Frye is not the answer

no he isnt and if they want to become a playoff team they will go out and get them selfs a QB.

CantStop85
03-11-2006, 06:54 PM
no he isnt and if they want to become a playoff team they will go out and get them selfs a QB.
The jury's actually still out on Frye...he only played in 7 games last year and still managed a respectable 72.8 even with that joke of an offensive line and loss of Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. He did very well for a rookie in the games that I watched him play. We'll see how he does with a good O-Line and an improved receiving corps.

WWIIOwheelz
03-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Good moves, solidifying the O-line.

I want the Browns to become legitimate in Ohio, again. The Bungles are currently eating their lunch.

BlackNGold203
03-11-2006, 07:06 PM
The jury's actually still out on Frye...he only played in 7 games last year and still managed a respectable 72.8 even with that joke of an offensive line and loss of Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow.

Kellen Winslow?...ohh..i remember him....

No guarantee he'll do anything either

Ohio Steeler
03-11-2006, 07:08 PM
well you can add Joe Jurevicius to the list of FA's they have signed

Ambridge
03-11-2006, 11:42 PM
well you can add Joe Jurevicius to the list of FA's they have signed

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5923 :checkit:

Suitanim
03-12-2006, 07:57 AM
I think you guys are wrong about Charlie Frye. He's got all the intangibles that coach's love to see in a QB, but he's not as NFL ready as Roethlisberger was. With a better line, and a year under his belt for the game to slow down some for him, Frye's play will improve dramatically this year...

Mr. Clean
03-12-2006, 09:36 AM
It does not matter who the Browns sign. They are still the Browns.

Okay, so they, presumably, upgraded their offensive line. Jurevicius leaves the NFC champions to play for this bunch of losers. He is nothing but a thrid wide receiver anyway. Droughns is a great back. It ends there.

Edwards' knee was so badly hurt he may not play this year.
Winslow is not guaranteed to accomplish anything. He has lost two years due to injuries.

Charlie Frye seemed to me to be nothing but a Steeler-hating loudmouth. Their defensive backfield, to quote Doug Dieken, "couldn't cover a Coke machine". Their linebackers are small and easily pushed around.

Improved? Only because they could not get any worse. At the end of the 2006 season, the Clowns and Rats will again fight for third place.

Stlrs4Life
03-12-2006, 10:49 AM
I want them to spend alot of money in FA, and still stink it up. They are making the right moves though.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-12-2006, 11:16 AM
They definitely were the amongst to top teams with money to spend and now only time will tell if itis money well spent!! they pretty much got the Oline in shape but there are just so many other holes. Joe J. is crazy to go there now he'll get his ass beat by the STEELERS twice a year!!

clevestinks
03-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Jerivius is a player I really wanted.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Joe Jurevicius lest the NFC Champs for his hometown team,he's from Cleveland.

And signing Bentley is a big deal.

And I think Frye will be a good QB.He may never be on the level of Ben or Carson,but he'll make the Browns legitmate again.

tony hipchest
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
add ted washington to the list of brown acquisitions.

Livinginthe past
03-12-2006, 02:07 PM
The Browns appear to be going a little crazy - im guessing all these vets are going to hit them in the wallet in a year or two?

Ted Washinton left the Pats in a mercenary deal with the Raiders - now he off to the Browns..where next..the Ottawa renegades?

NM

tony hipchest
03-12-2006, 02:26 PM
The Browns appear to be going a little crazy - im guessing all these vets are going to hit them in the wallet in a year or two?

Ted Washinton left the Pats in a mercenary deal with the Raiders - now he off to the Browns..where next..the Ottawa renegades?

NM i think they still got money left to spend and the cap goes up another $7 mil mext year. theyre not being frugal thats for sure, and why go out and get crennel if theyre gonna be committed to sucking. then again the ravens and raiders went kinda wild in f.a. last year. and dan snyder does it every year. throwing $$$ at players doesnt win championships.

Livinginthe past
03-12-2006, 02:31 PM
i think they still got money left to spend and the cap goes up another $7 mil mext year. theyre not being frugal thats for sure, and why go out and get crennel if theyre gonna be committed to sucking. then again the ravens and raiders went kinda wild in f.a. last year. and dan snyder does it every year. throwing $$$ at players doesnt win championships.

It certainly doesn't.

Crennel is in a relatively nice position at the moment - nothing much is expected of this team - maybe a playoff appearance in 3 years time.

Which should give him and Savage time to build on the Patriots/ Steelers model - through the draft rather than high priced FA's.

They are in a very tough division - if the Bengals can find some D, and if the Ravens can find some O - then you have probably the strongest Division in football.

NM

clevestinks
03-12-2006, 03:02 PM
How much did Joe Jerivius sign for??

RoethlisBURGHer
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
It certainly doesn't.

Crennel is in a relatively nice position at the moment - nothing much is expected of this team - maybe a playoff appearance in 3 years time.

Which should give him and Savage time to build on the Patriots/ Steelers model - through the draft rather than high priced FA's.

They are in a very tough division - if the Bengals can find some D, and if the Ravens can find some O - then you have probably the strongest Division in football.

NM

I agree,the North can quickly become one scary division really soon.

Bentley will really help this team.The o-line will finally have some attitude with him.

Jurevicous is a very good reciever IMHO.The guy can straight up catch the football,I have seen him make some catches that made me ask "how the **** did he catch that?".

They got a nice deal with Droughns,who ran for over 1,000 yards with the shit line last year,and now this line looks to be much improved.I look for him to up his rushing yards from last year.1,500 is a possibilty.

With Winslow coming back (they hope) and with Braylon coming back healthy (they hope) and both putting up nice numbers,this could be a scary offense next year.

I actually want the Browns to be legitmate again.I hate them and I hate thier fans (for the most part) and if the Brown Stains were once again legitimate and not a joke,it would really bring this rivalry back to life.

SteelerDan43
03-12-2006, 04:39 PM
they also got a punter, http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2365425

clevestinks
03-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Screw the turds@

Ambridge
03-12-2006, 05:12 PM
I think you guys are wrong about Charlie Frye. He's got all the intangibles that coach's love to see in a QB, but he's not as NFL ready as Roethlisberger was. With a better line, and a year under his belt for the game to slow down some for him, Frye's play will improve dramatically this year...

Suit,..........No offense and I know Frye is understandably an Akron favorite of yours but the knock I heard more than one time on the guy is that he doesn't have a big time arm and I know the blowout win by the Steelers isn't a fair evaluation but he looked like a real Clod with only average athletic ability.

I'll eat my words if I have to but I don't him amounting more than a mediocre NFL QB.

Ambridge
03-12-2006, 05:20 PM
BTW-Stains fans are already talking trash about how Bentley is going to take out and dominate Casey Hampton twice a year now.:rolleyes:

clevestinks
03-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Suit,..........No offense and I know Frye is understandably an Akron favorite of yours but the knock I heard more than one time on the guy is that he doesn't have a big time arm and I know the blowout win by the Steelers isn't a fair evaluation but he looked like a real Clod with only average athletic ability.

I'll eat my words if I have to but I don't him amounting more than a mediocre NFL QB.
I agree, I also heard he has small hands, and cant handle a wet ball

SteelerDan43
03-12-2006, 05:46 PM
I agree, I also heard he has small hands, and cant handle a wet ball

The team grew by leaps and bounds with him in there, just because you dont have the physical attributes doesnt mean you can't succede. He will be the Browns QB for the forseable future. He has the intangibles to be the guy...

Ambridge
03-12-2006, 06:01 PM
The team grew by leaps and bounds with him in there, just because you dont have the physical attributes doesnt mean you can't succede. He will be the Browns QB for the forseable future. He has the intangibles to be the guy...

Dan-You're much too kind to Frye.

Intangibles are good but they're not a substitute for athletic ability.
At best I think it's a wait and see on Frye.

Suitanim
03-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I've seen him play in person many, many times, in all conditions, and Frye can make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make...the arm-strength myth was created by Peter King after he saw Frye throw for about the 3,000th time, when his arm was worn out.. I saw Frye stand flat footed at the 40 and throw into the opposing endzone.

Frye is also deceptively fast...he had a 40+ yard scramble for a TD against Marshall, so he's hardly another Can't Graham.

Do I have a little homer bias? You bet. But I'm not letting it cloud my judgement. Frye, given ample talent around him, will be a very good NFL QB.

Ambridge
03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I've seen him play in person many, many times, in all conditions, and Frye can make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make...the arm-strength myth was created by Peter King after he saw Frye throw for about the 3,000th time, when his arm was worn out.. I saw Frye stand flat footed at the 40 and throw into the opposing endzone.

Frye is also deceptively fast...he had a 40+ yard scramble for a TD against Marshall, so he's hardly another Can't Graham.

Do I have a little homer bias? You bet. But I'm not letting it cloud my judgement. Frye, given ample talent around him, will be a very good NFL QB.

Well if Frye turns out to play well then the AFC North could very well be the cream of the league in the next few seasons.

The more I start thinking it over Crennel and Savage are not slouches in the personel department so maybe they get paydirt with Frye.

Suitanim
03-12-2006, 06:56 PM
The thing that is most impressive about Frye is his absolute and utter dedication. He's obviously made friends with his receivers, and they are building rapport off the field, which will help them onfield. He's a film guy, an overachiever, the kind of character you want leading your team.

DIESELMAN
03-12-2006, 06:58 PM
they made a good upgrade with Brantley and they got a big body receiver for the redzone we'll see if Frye can get him the ball.......Jurevicius did a really good job filling in for jackson and Engram when they were out........he can make big plays.....