PDA

View Full Version : Is LaMarr Woodley regressing/disappearing???

Rust454
10-07-2010, 05:05 PM
It seems like he hasn't done much at all this year.

Last year he finished off well, but had a mediocre season for the most part.

It seems to me he hasn't been the same LaMarr Woodley of 2008.

Fire Arians
10-07-2010, 05:18 PM
he's the 2nd coming of Jason GilDong

lol no honestly I don't know. he seems to never be in shape in the beginning of the season but starts to pull it together midseason. If he played in midseason form for the entire season though, he'd be a monster.

Though perhaps the coaching staff saw something they didn't like in him, which is why he hasn't had a contract extension and we drafted worrilds and thaddeus gibson.

MasterOfPuppets
10-07-2010, 05:30 PM
last year woodley didn't even have a sack till week 5.. then didn't get another one till week 10.

pete74
10-07-2010, 05:53 PM
If he dosnt pick it up he may never get a contract. He wants paid like a top 5 LB and steelers will only do that if he plays like one

Rust454
10-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Though perhaps the coaching staff saw something they didn't like in him, which is why he hasn't had a contract extension and we drafted worrilds and thaddeus gibson.

I was thinking the same thing.

I thought he could become our premiere pass, but he seems to be more of Robin to (Harrison's) Batman.

finesward
10-07-2010, 06:25 PM
He has one solid pass rush move and thats the bull rush. He often gets tooled by a RB if left alone to make the tackle. I think he has been a great compliment to harrison who has the speed/strength combo to play the run and pass equally well. I thinkhe does the bull rush so often so it forces the qb into harrison or the other d-lineman. He can also drop into coverage and make decent plays which is why he fits well in our scheme. He does seem out of shape though which concerns me. If you can't play the whole game 100% they need to sit him, especially late in the game when you desperately need the pressure. I would love to see a guy like sylvester get a shot at rushing the passer once and a while. Him and worilds have that non stop motor, remind me of timmons when he was raw.

Speaking of, who doesn't wish we had a timmons clone manning the other ILB spot? Kid is a BEAST. And everyone was calling him a bust :sofunny: Him and Mendy are making a lot of nancies eat crow.

wootawnee
10-07-2010, 07:19 PM
He has one solid pass rush move and thats the bull rush. He often gets tooled by a RB if left alone to make the tackle. I think he has been a great compliment to harrison who has the speed/strength combo to play the run and pass equally well. I thinkhe does the bull rush so often so it forces the qb into harrison or the other d-lineman. He can also drop into coverage and make decent plays which is why he fits well in our scheme. He does seem out of shape though which concerns me. If you can't play the whole game 100% they need to sit him, especially late in the game when you desperately need the pressure. I would love to see a guy like sylvester get a shot at rushing the passer once and a while. Him and worilds have that non stop motor, remind me of timmons when he was raw.

Speaking of, who doesn't wish we had a timmons clone manning the other ILB spot? Kid is a BEAST. And everyone was calling him a bust :sofunny: Him and Mendy are making a lot of nancies eat crow.

Timmons is taking the defense over.........Im lovin his play......Its tough to get sacks sometimes when they know your coming........They start piling up after the bye.....no doubt Lamar will come around......He is solid.....

ricardisimo
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
God, we are a bunch of primadonnas in Steelerland. We have pretty much hands down the best LB corps in the league and we're whining because Woodley's record consecutive games-with-a-sack streak came to an end. :rolleyes:

steelax04
10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
God, we are a bunch of primadonnas in Steelerland. We have pretty much hands down the best LB corps in the league and we're whining because Woodley's record consecutive games-with-a-sack streak came to an end. :rolleyes:

C'mon man, you should know by now it's '19-0 with every record being broken' or bust in Steelerland!

I'd give him a few more games before saying he's disappearing...

steeltheone
10-08-2010, 01:55 AM
I have been thinking the same thing. Hey if you want record money...Start Playing like it!

BlockMonsta
10-08-2010, 02:17 AM
what are you talking about? he has one less sack the #92

zulater
10-08-2010, 02:38 AM
I honestly don't think most of you have a clue as to what you're watching. Just because a guy doesn't have a tackle or sack on a certain play doesn't mean he didn't do his job. the Steelers are dropping off Lamar in coverage more this year so far he's got an interception, and about 3 or 4 passes defensed. Also he's played the run extremeley well this year. The bottom line the defense is giving up an average of like 12 points a game, Lamar's a big part of that. The sacks will come, by seasons end he'll have somewhere around 12-15 of them. .

zulater
10-08-2010, 02:40 AM

Yeah and I'm still blaming you and your damn jinx of a thread ric. :mad:

:wink02:

ricardisimo
10-08-2010, 02:52 AM
D'oh! :doh:

DanRooney
10-08-2010, 03:17 AM

lol no honestly I don't know. he seems to never be in shape in the beginning of the season but starts to pull it together midseason. If he played in midseason form for the entire season though, he'd be a monster.

lol I love Still Mill's rants :chuckle:

Rust454
10-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Timmons is taking the defense over.........Im lovin his play......Its tough to get sacks sometimes when they know your coming........They start piling up after the bye.....no doubt Lamar will come around......He is solid.....

I'm not worried about his sack totals: He plays INSIDE linebacker.
I haven't seen a Steeler inside linebacker making splash plays like this since Chad Brown.

Rust454
10-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I have been thinking the same thing. Hey if you want record money...Start Playing like it!

Exactly. I'm not saying that he is STINKING up the joint. However, he hasn't played like a 'top 5 linebacker' since 2008.

lionslicer
10-08-2010, 10:41 AM
I think Woodley has had an impact on the field with his lack of stats. Everyone talks about Hampton and Smiths impact on the field and they rack up few stats. He's playing in coverage a lot better this year than he's been in the past, and in the run game he's just been very good like the whole defense.

scsteeler
10-08-2010, 12:20 PM
I think Timmons has stepped up his game much more and Woodley is being targeted more but he needs to step up his play a bit more. Still a lot of season to go don't count him out just yet.

SteelersinCA
10-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I honestly don't think most of you have a clue as to what you're watching. Just because a guy doesn't have a tackle or sack on a certain play doesn't mean he didn't do his job. the Steelers are dropping off Lamar in coverage more this year so far he's got an interception, and about 3 or 4 passes defensed. Also he's played the run extremeley well this year. The bottom line the defense is giving up an average of like 12 points a game, Lamar's a big part of that. The sacks will come, by seasons end he'll have somewhere around 12-15 of them. .

Well, holy shit! We agree!:tt03:

SoCalFan
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Dont we all just love how being a Steeler fan,we can even be discussing this about a guy that would be the #1 linebacker on most teams!

lionslicer
10-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Dont we all just love how being a Steeler fan,we can even be discussing this about a guy that would be the #1 linebacker on most teams!

He would actually be a #1 defensive linemen on most teams since most teams run a 4-3 :P

I wonder if any Steeler player secretly looks at this forum everyday to read the bad/good things we say.

jjpro11
10-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Woodley is hellish to have to game plan against because you constantly have to play pick your poison with him and Harrison. take him away and Harrison will see non-stop double and triple teams. i've seen him push tackles into the QB a number of times this season and play some nice pass defense.. it may not show up in the stats, but he's doing his job pretty well.

thumper
10-08-2010, 02:30 PM
The trend is he comes in too heavy, and needs to play himself into
form and then will come on like gangbusters. He is playing for his
next contract - so if he can, he WILL put up huge #s before the season
is over. I have watched him; he is playing hard.

zulater
10-08-2010, 03:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&statisticPositionCategory=LINEBACKER&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_PASSES_INT_DEFENSED&d-447263-n=1

Woodley is only one behind league lead for linebackers in passes defensed. He's got quite a few pressures and qb hurries as well.

He's not a one trick pony, his skills are being expanded by LeBeau. He's elite, the stats will be there in time.

DanRooney
10-08-2010, 07:16 PM
He played horrible against the Ravens. There were extra guys on Harrison's side all game while Woodley was 1-on-1 against a greenhorn RT. He should have destroyed the guy but instead was a non-factor all game.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-08-2010, 07:39 PM
It seems like he hasn't done much at all this year.

Last year he finished off well, but had a mediocre season for the most part.

It seems to me he hasn't been the same LaMarr Woodley of 2008.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

2008 Stats
41 tackles, 19 assists, 11.5 sacks, 3 passes defensed, 1 INT, 2 FF

2009 Stats
50 tackles, 12 assists, 13.5 sacks, 1 FF

2010 Stats (so far)
10 tackles, 6 assists, 2 sacks, 3 passes defenses, 1 INT, 1 FF
(on pace to destroy the last two year's numbers)

Both this year, and last year, they started the season off by dropping him into a shallow zone on many plays. Chalk it up to the normal developement of a former defensive end into a 3-4 OLB....Lebeau is working on his pass defense skills and not making him into a one-trick pony.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Thank you.

As usual, zulater adds sanity back to an embarrassing thread....

Tone's Toes
10-08-2010, 10:19 PM
He's a slow starter. That's all. He'll still get paid too and before you think you won't pay him, ask yourself if you really want Jason Worilds or Thad Gibson starting next year. I don't. I wouldn't even be comfortable handing the job to one of them.

Wood is still a good player. He shuts the run down. The pass rush is a little slow to get going but he's still very solid out there.

zulater
10-08-2010, 10:25 PM
He played horrible against the Ravens. There were extra guys on Harrison's side all game while Woodley was 1-on-1 against a greenhorn RT. He should have destroyed the guy but instead was a non-factor all game.

You have the game film? You watched it knowing his assignments and know that he didn't do his job? You understand what a 3 step drop is as opposed to a 7 step drop and how teams are going to sacrifice downfield yardage for safe plays because of our OLB's?

Pierogiman
10-09-2010, 02:26 AM
He would actually be a #1 defensive linemen on most teams since most teams run a 4-3 :P

I wonder if any Steeler player secretly looks at this forum everyday to read the bad/good things we say.

Yeah and what if they know how to use your IP address to find you??? :doh:

Wouldn't wanna be the guy who posted this thread! :toofunny:

I'm just kidding, I just talked to Lamar on the phone, he's cool with this thread...and he's been taking it easy a bit...he'll turn it on to full power in time for the playoffs...and will be MVP of the Superbowl! Write that down...I stand behind that prediction 100%

wootawnee
10-09-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm not worried about his sack totals: He plays INSIDE linebacker.
I haven't seen a Steeler inside linebacker making splash plays like this since Chad Brown.

Dude, Chad Brown wasn't very splash........Anybody looked good lined up next to Kirkland,Lloyd.and Greene,.......He dissapeared after he left the burgh......

DanRooney
10-09-2010, 04:43 AM
You have the game film? You watched it knowing his assignments and know that he didn't do his job? You understand what a 3 step drop is as opposed to a 7 step drop and how teams are going to sacrifice downfield yardage for safe plays because of our OLB's?

I watched the game. Total non-factor. :thumbsup:

lionslicer
10-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah and what if they know how to use your IP address to find you??? :doh:

Wouldn't wanna be the guy who posted this thread! :toofunny:

I'm just kidding, I just talked to Lamar on the phone, he's cool with this thread...and he's been taking it easy a bit...he'll turn it on to full power in time for the playoffs...and will be MVP of the Superbowl! Write that down...I stand behind that prediction 100%

Woodley is the only player to have 2 sacks in each of his playoff games, I wouldn't be surprised if he turned it up and made like 4 sacks in a superbowl which would be an NFL record.

rick723
10-09-2010, 08:20 PM
All I got to say is you guys against Woodley is all eat up with the dumb ass. That is all.:rofl::tt03:
:tt05::steelersflag:

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Dude, Chad Brown wasn't very splash........Anybody looked good lined up next to Kirkland,Lloyd.and Greene,.......He dissapeared after he left the burgh......
i don't know if i'd say that. he did go to two probowls after he left pittsburgh ... according to espn stats he had 148 tackles in 1998 ...:noidea:

zulater
10-10-2010, 04:26 AM
I watched the game. Total non-factor. :thumbsup:

Yeah and you know what his assignments were on every play, and on which he did and didn't peform up to standards on? Is that you Mr. LeBeau?

:coffee: