PDA

View Full Version : Chukky Okobi Journal Entry

Prosdo
03-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Family on the Field
03/03/06

Pittsburgh Steelers are the Super Bowl XL 2006 Champions! That is hard to let sink in. There is a certain amazement that makes the whole thing still feel unreal. Around game ten, no one would have predicted this outcome. This season was interesting. When you are in this business you do so much with the media. In the public eye, you are constantly judged. That continual criticism can make you or break you. Some players ? some teams even ? buckle under the pressure. We were all or nothing at the end of our season. The last few weeks were ?do or die? time: We couldn?t lose a game. For us, that meant playoffs started 4 weeks early. We were unlikely champions. We were 6th seed with every game on the road. But seeds are not really good indicators of the best team at a given time because there are different best teams at different points in the season. At that time, we were at our peak. We never gave up.

The New England Patriots are good at that. They always can put it all together at the end. No matter the outcome of the season they are different at play off time. We were finally able to do that same thing. We have had a lot of close calls. The guys lost AFC championships in the past. For a heavily veteran team, that gets old fast. We learn from our mistakes though. In a pressure situation we knew exactly what to do to handle it. I approached everything in post-season the same as I usually do. From practice to week one to the Super Bowl, the game does not change. I do not agree with those that say the speed picks up. That is a choice you make. Football is football. There is running, passing, blocking, tackling kicking. You need to perform every time you go out on that field. Problems in practice translate to problems in a quarter, a game, or even a series. I do not mess around in practice. There are no breaks in football; you cannot afford an off-day. The bottom line is consistency.

Football is the ultimate team sport. It is never the same team even when you come back year after year. But, you get used to the routines. You get used to the environment. You get used to the people: The coaches, the medical staff, media relations, returning players. There is something to be said for that kind of trust-building in a support system. It is not just the in-house network that makes the atmosphere. The Pittsburgh community has been amazing. I truly believe we have the best fans in the world. They connect with veteran players too. Some teams collect free agents but then they have to cultivate chemistry. They may lose that natural union that develops on a more stable team. Your friendships are stronger and there is more loyalty. There is loyalty to the sport, to your teammates, and to your team. They are your family on the field. At some point, you stop playing for a paycheck and start playing for one another.

Link: http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=30204&section=journal

PisnNapalm
03-12-2006, 08:55 AM
The last line is the best one I think. That's what got us to this super bowl win.

Stlrs4Life
03-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Excellent post. I really hoope we can keep Okkobi, that's why I don't think we need to resign Hartings. He has knee problems anyway. I mean, i lkie Hartings, especially since he was from PSU.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for sharing that!! It takes a few years to develop a center and I think it's time the Steelers find out about him !!

redst3
03-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Many thanks for sharing this. I am going to link it to my personal blog.

melroseplace
03-12-2006, 02:02 PM
that's an awesome post, thanks for sharing with us

Haiku_Dirtt
03-13-2006, 04:30 PM
The voice of a leader and a mind of a winner. And hopefully he can become that player that makes everyone around him a better teammate.

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Interesting read. Thanks.

tony hipchest
03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
heres another excellent article on him "from the locker room to the board room" discussing all his business ventures.
dudes really got his head on straight. plus hes a hometown kid. hes looking better and better every day as hartings replacement. the steelers have sat on him this long and if he was no good he wouldve been let go long ago.

http://www.nflplayers.com/news/news_release.aspx?id=4917

SteelerzGirl
03-13-2006, 07:40 PM
All one has to do is BELIEVE! Excellent post, Prosdo. Thank you. :smile:

melroseplace
03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Bob Pompeani reported on KDKA earlier that Chukki is restructured and that they're hoping to do the same with Duce soon. I thought they already restructured Duce?

SteelerMurf
03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Chucky is really into each game. I was at a Browns/STeeler game 1st row on the Steelers sideline. Nobody watches the game with more intensity than Chucky. Before every play he does this crazy ritual, kind of like a slowed down Bettis sideways run he does after big runs (like he did on the way out for Superbowl XL)

Stlrs4Life
03-14-2006, 08:17 PM
More interesting:
The Steelers reported that Chukky Okobi took a pay cut of @$750,000 but then received a signing bonus to get two more seasons on his contract. Well, it was reported that his salary move from 2M in 2006 to roughly 1.3M (plus the bonus). But, the NFLPA is reporting that his 2006 salary is $585,000. It means either they converted 1.415M to bonus or they paid him the stated $700,000 in bonus and reduced his salary completely to $585,000 and stated otherwise to allow Okobi to save some face, or some combination in between.

I think it is also important to note that Staley's restructure has not been added to NFLPA, which means it is not in or they have not entered it. Staley's deal was reported before Okobi's deal.

Hartings has not made a move either.