PDA

View Full Version : Matt Kranchick update.......

BB2W
04-21-2005, 01:24 AM
PITTSBURGH - With the signing of Walter Rasby Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Steelers now have five tight ends who combined to catch 15 passes last year.

It's an unheralded bunch, to say the most, but one player offers hope of breaking out. He's the big guy over there, the quiet guy with the speed.

"Oh, we're moving him to tackle," joked offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

Matt Kranchick, though, isn't joking. After playing in only two games as a rookie, and not catching a pass, Kranchick got serious. He hired a personal trainer the day after the season ended and went to work that week. Three months later, he's bigger, faster, stronger and smarter.

"I don't see any reason why he can't become a good tight end in this league," said veteran tight end Matt Cushing.

Kranchick is beginning to believe it.

"Last year was pretty difficult," he said. "Not only did I lack the bulk to play the position the way it needed to be played, I really didn't know what I was doing. I hadn't played tight end much in college, so I had a lot to learn."

Kranchick spent the last three months watching film with tight ends coach James Daniel and working out with his trainer. Kranchick weighs 280 pounds, up 30 from his rookie playing weight.

"It's hurt my speed a little bit," Kranchick said. "But, really, I feel good. I'm stronger and still quick. I like it. I'll get down to about 270 to start the season, so I'm excited."

The Steelers could use a shot of excitement at the position.

Kranchick was drafted in the sixth round out of Penn State last year because of his 6-foot-7 frame and 4.6 40 speed. He flashed that speed in pre-season, but was inactive for all but two regular-season games because of his limited blocking skills.

Kranchick believes he's improved his blocking with the extra weight and the knowledge that's come with experience and film study. He could be a key player at training camp since the upcoming draft crop is considered light at the position.

"I imagine they'll draft a tight end, maybe even two," Kranchick said. "But there's nothing I can do about that. All I can do is get myself ready."

So far, he's ahead of the pace.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
This is his chance to shine, the backup TE position behind Jerame is up for grabs, so if he wants to realize his dream, the time is now.

BB2W
04-21-2005, 01:19 PM
I like to hear he is working hard and has put on 30 pounds. I hope he can get on the field.

Being a Penn State fan, I can tell you he has got great hands, and he can be a real threat in the passing game. He is great at going up and getting the ball, whenever he runs a route it is a mis-match........

HinesWard4Life8682
04-22-2005, 04:59 PM
hes not gonna make a difference

clevestinks
04-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Should be interesting