PDA

View Full Version : With ARE gone..Cedric Wilson just got his shot as a starter..

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Well with ARE gone.. Mr. " its not about the money, I wanna stay in Pittsburgh,I'll take less to stay here" ... Cedric jumps up as the penciled in starter opposite Hines. Obviously we have some young talent like Nate Washington and if we bring back Quincy that will help...but look for us to go out and pick up a Vet. WR in FA now more than ever. And draft some young prospects too to help our cause.

Cedric whined in the regular season but came up HUGE in the posteason for us, so now you got your shot dude, dont blow it. !

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2006, 12:24 AM
I just gotta say this becuz it just pisses me off to no end.. Ya say one thing and u do another. I mean what you cant live off a few million a year so you gotta go get more just becuz ? All the charity work he did in Pittsburgh, how the fans and city embraced and supported him and we molded him into a quality player in this league and then you jump ship to a team who overpays everyone and can keep their salary cap under control for a couple years at a time. 27 million they paid him, Did he really think he deserved Hines Ward type money to stay in Pittsburgh!! He wont ever see 2/3 of that contract becuz they'll have to release him or rework it within 2 years !!

Screw you ARE, we supported you through good and tough times here..u professed u wanted to stay in Pittsburgh then you jump ship before you even give us a chance to really work out a deal with you.

Go enjoy being a part of the smurf WR's again in Washington and dont let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out... no wait, maybe it would knock some sense into you !

Koopa
03-13-2006, 12:37 AM
awww ARE was and is still overrated, sure he had a couple of nice plays but plax was 3409273504375132483279427139472319 times better then him and we still one the superbowl. wilson will do just fine as the number 2, and there's still the draft, maybe chad jackson or sinorce moss falls to us, or we take nance in the second. this is why i respect hope, he at least admits it's about the paper, ARE was a coward about it. i'll never forgive him for losing the pats game so i'm glad he's gone, i wish him the best of luck but we will still be contending without him

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Where do I start... ARE c ya maybe if the door had hit ya before you left you might have come to your senses... but if you can steal that kind of money and not go to jail my hats off to ya!! This just might be your biggest trick play of all,you got them thinking you are a starter!!
Just how many millions do these "players" need to "take care of my family", how many future generations is he taking care of?? I know,I know it's not his fault if someone is willing to throw that kind of money at you you got to take it and run. I thank GOD that Hines is a stand up guy and did what he did. He could have gotten 2x as much. To think ARE is now getting paid as much as E. James WTF is Snyder thinking??? I guess I'm jealous, to be able to throw that kind of money away.
At any rate ARE thanks for the memories!! :cheers: (and don't create anymore at are expense)

Rotorhead
03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Jeez guys, he said he would not change teams if it were a million or so difference, everyone knows there was no way the Steelers were going to be within a couple million of that Washington offer. He did what he said he would do. This being the League that it is, I dont blame him, he got a HUGE amount of garunteed money you can't blame him for it. What if he gets injured next season, now he has enough money to not have to worry about it. I probably would have done the same in his shoes. This is his chance to try to be the for sure #1 or 2 and get to cash in, that would never have come from the Steelers. It sucks to see him go, thanks for his success and now it is time to move on. It just makes it easier to go out and look for a tall receiver (Plax like, but with class) to compliment Ward IMO.

Koopa
03-13-2006, 01:11 AM
he is not better then moss so he won't be a number one, and hell brandon might be better then him, so he might just be an overpaid number 3

Randle el#82
03-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Jeez guys, he said he would not change teams if it were a million or so difference, everyone knows there was no way the Steelers were going to be within a couple million of that Washington offer. He did what he said he would do. This being the League that it is, I dont blame him, he got a HUGE amount of garunteed money you can't blame him for it. What if he gets injured next season, now he has enough money to not have to worry about it. I probably would have done the same in his shoes. This is his chance to try to be the for sure #1 or 2 and get to cash in, that would never have come from the Steelers. It sucks to see him go, thanks for his success and now it is time to move on. It just makes it easier to go out and look for a tall receiver (Plax like, but with class) to compliment Ward IMO.

soo true:oops:

SteelR1
03-13-2006, 01:19 AM
Very interesting move, cant say I saw it coming. I though for sure he would be in Chicago, with the great defense and all.

Good Luck to ya ARE,

klick81
03-13-2006, 02:52 AM
Yeah man...i think some of us need to calm down in here. Yeah, the almighty dollar got the best of him. No question there. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if he hadn't said it wasn't about the money from the get go. Personally, i'll miss him for what he brought to the team. There will be some resentment about the way he went about things, but we knew we coulnd't expect to keep him. In the end, we knew he was gone. No need to hate the guy. He was once a Steeler who helped get the Lombardi.

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Jeez guys, he said he would not change teams if it were a million or so difference, This being the League that it is, I dont blame him, he got a HUGE amount of garunteed money you can't blame him for it. I probably would have done the same in his shoes. It sucks to see him go, thanks for his success and now it is time to move on.

I agree 100%.

Ambridge
03-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Cedric whined in the regular season but came up HUGE in the posteason for us, so now you got your shot dude, dont blow it. !

You hit the nail on the head with Cedric.
I know it's a receivers nature to want to get the football but there's also a time when you need to know when to just STFU and play ball.

I think Wilson can get the job done but he just needs to let his performance on the field do his talking instead.

Avoid Lloyd
03-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I just gotta say this becuz it just pisses me off to no end.. Ya say one thing and u do another. I mean what you cant live off a few million a year so you gotta go get more just becuz ? All the charity work he did in Pittsburgh, how the fans and city embraced and supported him and we molded him into a quality player in this league and then you jump ship to a team who overpays everyone and can keep their salary cap under control for a couple years at a time. 27 million they paid him, Did he really think he deserved Hines Ward type money to stay in Pittsburgh!! He wont ever see 2/3 of that contract becuz they'll have to release him or rework it within 2 years !!

Screw you ARE, we supported you through good and tough times here..u professed u wanted to stay in Pittsburgh then you jump ship before you even give us a chance to really work out a deal with you.

Go enjoy being a part of the smurf WR's again in Washington and dont let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out... no wait, maybe it would knock some sense into you !

I almost always agree with the things you have to say, but this is just asinine. The Steelers wouldn't have even offered him $15 million over the same time frame.

If someone offered you an extra $12 million to take a different a job I'd bet you would do the same thing. God knows I would have. I would actually judge him more if he hadn't taken that money:blurp:

emp
03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I think Cedric is more of a true receiver than El. El was a good all around athlete. I think Cedric can do some things El couldn't (long slants, deep balls.) Hines can always do the trick plays instead.

El did have a couple nice punt returns but a nice punt return every 9 games isn't really that big of a deal.

I'm looking forward to Cedric getting more playing time now.

MichiSteeler
03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
I'll miss ARE a little, but mostly on punt returns and tricks, other than that not really. If Cedric can play all next season at the level he played during the playoffs this year(more specifically the denver game) then we will be gaining more than loosing.

clevestinks
03-13-2006, 03:14 PM
I hope we can do better than Wilson as a starter! To me he would be a damn good 3, just as El. Hines is the best No.2 Wr, in the league. We need a legit No.1

Haiku_Dirtt
03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I knew the signing bonus was all that mattered to ARE...and why not - first a ring and now a windfall.

If Snyder weren't so damn rich then I'd think "This guy is a moron!!!"

It's easy to look at a couple of big plays on the big stage but what exactly did HE DO to make those plays happen? He hit a wide open receiver and made catches that were in arms reach. He had a couple nice returns this year BUT I recall about fifty returns where he gained more yardage running east-west (which is not counted) than he did running up the field. I recall the brilliant lateral to Hines in the New England game which was a dagger in the momentum of that game.

Wilson has a good shot if he continues where he left off and not where he started. He pissed and moaned last year but he dropped several catchable balls. I hope Quincy heals well because although a little inconsistant he made some plays and I like the way he returns kicks. And the price is right.

And don't be surprised if Nate Washington has a good camp. He made two KEY plays at the end of the 2nd Qrtr in the Denver playoff game. The second was an alert heads-up play to break up a certain interception in the end zone to save Ben's neck, gave us a field goal and saved momentum.

melroseplace
03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't think Cedrick will be starting, altho I guess it depends on who we can get and how he does in camp. I'm sad to see Antwaan go, he was a great guy and good player. he will be replaced with little to no problems, but I'm still sad. I don't blame him for leaving in the least...that's a lot of money and I personally think the Redskins are really stupid for giving him that kind of money but "go on, take the money and run"

clevestinks
03-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I don't think Cedrick will be starting, altho I guess it depends on who we can get and how he does in camp. I'm sad to see Antwaan go, he was a great guy and good player. he will be replaced with little to no problems, but I'm still sad. I don't blame him for leaving in the least...that's a lot of money and I personally think the Redskins are really stupid for giving him that kind of money but "go on, take the money and run"
Great takes melrose, I agree!

Avoid Lloyd
03-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Exactly.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2006, 11:29 PM
I almost always agree with the things you have to say, but this is just asinine. The Steelers wouldn't have even offered him $15 million over the same time frame.

If someone offered you an extra $12 million to take a different a job I'd bet you would do the same thing. God knows I would have. I would actually judge him more if he hadn't taken that money:blurp:

Trust me I know the steelers were gonna in no way offer the kind of money that washington..but in true Daniel Snyder fashion he once again way overpayed for a player. Mark my words, in 2 years El will be reworking his deal in some major way or asked to take a pay cut becuz the skins will be in cap hell again.

Avoid Lloyd
03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Trust me I know the steelers were gonna in no way offer the kind of money that washington..but in true Daniel Snyder fashion he once again way overpayed for a player. Mark my words, in 2 years El will be reworking his deal in some major way or asked to take a pay cut becuz the skins will be in cap hell again.

I completely agree. However, saying "screw you ARE" is a little out of line considering the guy was offered a huge contract. Even if he only plays there for 2 years he's going to make a killing considering he got an $8 million signing bonus. As I said, I'd probably judge him more if he didn't take the contract;)

The more I think about Wilson as the #2 the more I don't think I like it.

I'd like to see Quincy Morgan get a shot, assuming he heals up OK.

rgleason
03-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I dont see how you could feel any ill will towards ARE. You get one shot at a big contract in the NFL, and no one should blame ARE for cashing in. Even knowing the situation he is going into, leavign the SB champs and a city that worships their team, he has NO CHOICE, absolutely no choice, he needs to take the money. If the Toronto Argonauts offered that money, he would have to take it. And I bet every Steeler in the locker room is happy for him and understands his decision. Was ARE overpaid? Of course (I mean, it is the Redskins), but after the Super Bowl, this was well known, just a question of who would give it and how much.

As for Cedrik being no. 2? Why not. He had a good playoffs, will be in his second year with us and our offense, and we did just win the Super Bowl. You can think all you want about, Cedrik is really a 3, Ward isnt a really a no. 1 receiver (??!!?), but bottom line is with Ben and a superior Off. Coordinator we can beat anybody. We need to address WR in the future btu we got enough going into the season and are limited with what we can do money wise. Hopefully whoever we draft at WR this year isnt another Gibson and can develop and help out. BUt we got the money in Ward and Wilson to be our no. 1 and 2.