PDA

View Full Version : Carson Palmer Has Lost It Completely

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
For years after his 2005 knee injury Carson Palmer has been drawing unjustified praise, although after the Bengals collapsed against the Jets in the playoffs last season even Peter King at SI, a huge Palmer fan, began to express some doubts.

Have no more doubt - Palmer is somewhere between a journeyman and bad. Since the Steelers were off today I watched a fair amount of Bengals-Bucs on Sunday Ticket.

Palmer's first half pick led to the Bucs first TD, his second INT with around 2:30 left (on a 3rd and 13 where the Bengals should have run and punted) gave the ball back to the Bucs at midfield to tie the game with 1:30 left, and his third pick which was run back to the Bengal 30 with 14 seconds left resulted in last second FG to win it 24-21.

I have no clue how this Bengals team beat the Ravens - hopefully the Bengals will have collapsed completely by the time the Steelers play in Cincy in early November on Monday night.

zulater
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Don't tempt fate, I'm not writing off Carson just yet. Let's beat 'em a couple times first.

Atlanta Dan
10-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Don't tempt fate, I'm not writing off Carson just yet. Let's beat 'em a couple times first.

It is not just a matter of a bad game today = this is what King wrote last Monday before today's debacle

I think this thought occurred to me while watching Carson Palmer struggle in the first quarter of the season: He's owed $53 million over the next four years, but whether there's a salary cap next year or not, the Bengals could cut him and not have a dime count against a cap.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/04/week4/5.html#ixzz11PhXTl2E

Anything is possible and these observations may be mocked a month from now but Palmer does not appear to have gained much benefit from having 2 diva receivers - Benson was the only offensive threat who showed well today

tony hipchest
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Don't tempt fate, I'm not writing off Carson just yet. Let's beat 'em a couple times first.for what its worth, palmer sucked in both games vs the steelers last year.

the steelers beat themselves.

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2010, 09:12 PM
palmer hasn't played 5 good games in the last 3+ seasons .... will the bungholes shell out the 50+ million still on his contract over the next 5 years ?

sharkweek
10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I have to admit, the Bengals were starting to look scarey good when Plamer was slinging it to Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and a young Chris Henry.

Of course in typical Bengals fashion everything completely blows up:

Chad Johnson ego trips and changes his name (amongst several other shenanigans) causing unnecessary distraction for the team.

Housh cracks under the pressure of a perennially problematic franchise and gets himself out of dodge.

Henry get himself in legal trouble several times before getting himself killed.

Of course Palmer's injury problems didn't/don't help (there's speculation that his elbow he opted not to have surgery on last season didn't properly heal without that surgery) but in all honesty the Bengals franchise is a completely joke, its just a circus.

MattsMe
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Could it be that the rest of the world is finally waking up to what we here at SF have known for years?

The bengals suck.

ZoneBlitzer
10-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I was watching the highlights today and I noticed that Palmer no longer has the zip on the ball that he used to have. The velocity is just isn't there anymore. For some reason the media hasn't taken note of the fact that he hasn't been the same since Kimo took him out.

MasterOfPuppets
10-10-2010, 10:55 PM
the bunghole faithful are already starting to throw in the towel...:sofunny:

I agree! we will be lucky to win 6 games this year. Here I thought we'd go 13-3 what a joke! I don't know why I do this to myself every year!!!!

Anybody that doesn't think this season is over is crazy. Last year was obviously a fluke. This team has reverted to the dreaded "same-ol-bengals" mentality. They are going to find a way to lose somehow. I've been a fan of this teams as long as I can remember and that goes back into 1980. How in the past 20 years can you not have back-back winning seasons? It isn't going to happen this year. I've seen this too many times to not recognize it when I see it. Brat will stay even though he should have been fired a few years ago. At this point I'm hoping football is locked out in 2011 so I don't have to keep suffering. I love football, imagine how much I would love it if cheering for your team isn't so pointless. I think it's time to move on Mike Brown. Lets just join the UFL and you can win some championships in that league, IF we can.

This season has been a joke and an embarrassment.

The Rams have a better chance at making playoffs than we do this year. No sarcasm, no joke. I'm being completely serious here.

Atlanta Dan
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Peter King definitely has jumped off the Carson Palmer bandwagon:chuckle:

Palmer's season is now officially a three-alarm fire. The Bengals overcame an awful telegraphed interception he threw -- returned by rookie Cody Grimm for a first-half touchdown -- to lead 21-14 in a game they had to win (home against Tampa) if they hoped to muscle into the AFC playoff race. Then Palmer threw two more interceptions in the final 2:30 to blow the game....

Carson Palmer looks like a shot-putter, not a quarterback.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/11/Week5/index.html?eref=sihp

ricardisimo
10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
His official collapse will come when Pete Prisco at CBS stops fellating him.

tony hipchest
10-11-2010, 11:32 AM
i think prisco would suck off his corpse.

ricardisimo
10-11-2010, 03:11 PM
True. Sick, but true. MoP, would you have a jpeg handy of Crisco Prisco sucking off Rosie Palmer?

lionslicer
10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
I love how people say Carson lost it after his knee injury in 2005 playoffs, but the next year, though the team went 8-8 he had a very good year and went to the probowl.

But the past couple years he's been lackluster. I bet his brother is better than him, they should start him :P

tony hipchest
12-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Peter King definitely has jumped off the Carson Palmer bandwagon:chuckle:

]

king isnt done piling on either-

5. I think I don't know how you could have an ounce of faith in Carson Palmer this morning, not after handing the Steelers two touchdowns on interception returns, and not after continually misfiring again. It might be time to deal him to San Francisco for a second-round pick in April, Mike Brown. Or a third-.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/12/13/week-14-mmqb/index.html#ixzz1893lkzUr

:sofunny: i love it!

warddj86
12-13-2010, 09:00 PM
By this time next year, he will be the 4th-best starting QB in the AFC North, if he isn't already.

1 Ben
2 Flacco
3 McCoy
4 Palmer

TRH
12-14-2010, 12:08 PM
More talented players die off in Cincinnati, skills wasted, or get a career-ending-injury it seems than everywhere else combined.
Any player even entertaining a thought about going there should run, not walk , the other way.

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2010, 12:34 PM
the bunghole "faithful", have turned on palmer like a pack of wolves. yup, the same "faithful" that used to say palmer was the best qb in the league.

GMU Steeler
12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
What I always found amusing was that Bungal fans blamed Kimo von Oelhoftten for hurting Palmer on purose in that playoff game and that is why they lost to us that game. They never mention that twice in that game the Bungals blew ten point leaders and we ended up winning by 14. Honestly, I always thought Palmer was overrated really. Yeah he had some nice seasons with Chad Johnson, TJ Housh, and Chris Henry but he never did anything in big games.

MDSteel15
12-14-2010, 03:11 PM
By this time next year, he will be the 4th-best starting QB in the AFC North, if he isn't already.

1 Ben
2 Flacco
3 McCoy
4 Palmer

I would change that come spring time!

1. Ben
2. McCoy
3. Flacco
4. Palmer's replacement!!! :popcorn:

Fire Arians
12-14-2010, 03:30 PM
how can palmer lose it when he's never had it :P

joeyssteelcurtain
12-14-2010, 04:38 PM
he sucks

warddj86
12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
I would change that come spring time!

1. Ben
2. McCoy
3. Flacco
4. Palmer's replacement!!! :popcorn:

In one year, Holmgren has drafted a QB who, I know it sounds strange, actually might work out for Cleveland. That pick, coupled with Joe Haden, picking up Hillis, while ridding them of the terrible Brady Quinn, and signing veterans like Scott Fujita and Sheldon Brown have made Holmgren look like the real man for the job. If I had to pick the division's future in 2013 or 2014, the Browns could be serious players for AFC North contention, and Cincy will still suck. :flap:

BUT..... right now (and probably by spring), Flacco has better talent to work with in Boldin, Heap, Dickson, Rice, McGahee, and McClain.

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2010, 03:36 PM
this is why i don't think teams should renegotiate contracts with whining players that feel they've out played their contract. these guys sure as hell won't take a cut for not living up to their pay status.

Source: Palmer won't take pay cut in Cincy

With so much speculation swirling around the future of Cincinnati Bengals (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals) quarterback Carson Palmer (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4459), details are starting to emerge with three games remaining in a disappointing season.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells ESPN.com's AFC North blog that it's highly unlikely Palmer would accept a pay cut this offseason to remain with the rebuilding Bengals (2-11). Palmer is projected to be one of the NFL's highest-paid players in 2011 with a base salary of $11.5 million, and this could be the first step to a potential parting between the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback and the team which drafted him No. 1 overall in 2003.

Cincinnati has yet to discuss its offseason plans with Palmer. But with the pay-cut option now squashed, this puts the Bengals in a tight spot. Cincinnati -- one of the NFL's most frugal franchises -- has to decide whether to overpay for a struggling quarterback or release Palmer, who will turn 31 on Dec. 27, and make him a free agent for the first time in his career.

The Bengals can cut Palmer without absorbing any cap charges. Entering Week 15, Cincinnati also holds the No. 2 overall pick (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/21702/bengals-currently-hold-no-2-overall-pick), which is a good spot to draft a quarterback.

An offseason trade might be a third option. But it could be a challenge for Cincinnati to convince other teams to pay Palmer's ballooning $11.5 million salary despite declining production. Palmer has six multi-interception games this season and 18 picks total, which is the second highest tally of his career. He also holds a pedestrian 78.1 passer rating.

Palmer provided a clue to potentially moving on earlier this week when reporters in Cincinnati asked if Palmer could see himself in another uniform next year. (http://twitter.com/joereedy/status/15080958432649216)

"Yeah, anything is possible," Palmer said candidly. "This is a business."

The Bengals will have plenty of tough business decisions to make this offseason -- and it starts with their franchise quarterback.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/21918/source-palmer-wont-take-pay-cut-in-cincy