PDA

View Full Version : McCoy vs. Steelers a recipe for disaster

mesaSteeler
10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
McCoy vs. Steelers a recipe for disaster
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/print?id=18798

Because of ankle injuries to veterans Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, rookie quarterback Colt McCoy reportedly could start for Cleveland on Sunday. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Browns signed Brett Ratliff, who was told he's the backup for McCoy in the Week 6 rivalry game against the Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1). Ratliff was one of the Browns' final cuts this summer.

This was not in the plans for Browns president Mike Holmgren and head coach Eric Mangini, who didn't provide specifics on the quarterback situation Monday. Both have said they expect McCoy, a third-round pick, to sit at least one year to learn from the sidelines. But very little has gone according to plan for the struggling Browns (1-4), and now McCoy looks to get the nod just six weeks into the season.

If McCoy is viewed as the future of the Browns, they must be very careful about the long-term impact of this decision. Throwing McCoy out there at Heinz Field against Dick LeBeau's defense is a recipe for disaster. In fact, it's the last defense I would pick a rookie quarterback to face in his first NFL start, especially against a hungry Steelers' defense coming off a bye week.

Expect the sharks for Pittsburgh -- James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, etc. -- to be out in full force Sunday. I'm sure a wide-eyed McCoy is excited for the opportunity, but in reality he's just fresh meat.

I said in training camp that if McCoy starts, that's a sign Cleveland's 2010 season is over. I picked the Browns to finish last in the AFC North this year, but this ship is sinking faster than expected.

LVSteelersfan
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Wow. This guy picked the Clowns to finish last in the division. He is a genious. I never would have made that prediction. :toofunny: :rofl:

McCoy vs. Steelers a recipe for disaster
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/print?id=18798

Because of ankle injuries to veterans Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, rookie quarterback Colt McCoy reportedly could start for Cleveland on Sunday. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Browns signed Brett Ratliff, who was told he's the backup for McCoy in the Week 6 rivalry game against the Pittsburgh Steelers (3-1). Ratliff was one of the Browns' final cuts this summer.

This was not in the plans for Browns president Mike Holmgren and head coach Eric Mangini, who didn't provide specifics on the quarterback situation Monday. Both have said they expect McCoy, a third-round pick, to sit at least one year to learn from the sidelines. But very little has gone according to plan for the struggling Browns (1-4), and now McCoy looks to get the nod just six weeks into the season.

If McCoy is viewed as the future of the Browns, they must be very careful about the long-term impact of this decision. Throwing McCoy out there at Heinz Field against Dick LeBeau's defense is a recipe for disaster. In fact, it's the last defense I would pick a rookie quarterback to face in his first NFL start, especially against a hungry Steelers' defense coming off a bye week.

Expect the sharks for Pittsburgh -- James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, etc. -- to be out in full force Sunday. I'm sure a wide-eyed McCoy is excited for the opportunity, but in reality he's just fresh meat.

I said in training camp that if McCoy starts, that's a sign Cleveland's 2010 season is over. I picked the Browns to finish last in the AFC North this year, but this ship is sinking faster than expected.

Merchant
10-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Hmmm.. *flashbacks of '05 when Charlie Frye started against us* 41-0 Steelers, 8 sacks. And Charlie's career just blossomed after that :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2010, 03:09 AM
instead of thinking about who the clowns qb is going to play, i hope they're focusing on how to keep ben on his feet. 8 sacks :doh:

look for cribbs to be taking a lot of wildcat snaps. he had some pretty good success with it against the steelers last year .

anybody see the pattern ? apparently arians couldn't either.

3-1-PIT 24 (10:58) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 15 for -9 yards (99-C.Williams).

3-3-PIT 13 (5:45) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 3 for -10 yards (23-H.Poteat).

3-7-CLE 41 (15:00) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at CLV 48 for -7 yards (58-M.Benard).

2-12-PIT 40 (5:29) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 33 for -7 yards (99-C.Williams).

3-7-PIT 31 (6:04) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 20 for -11 yards (96-D.Bowens).

2-5-CLE 23 (:59) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at CLV 24 for -1 yards (91-B.Schaefering).

1-10-CLE 43 (2:40) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 48 for -9 yards (sack split by 56-K.Maiava and 91-B.Schaefering).

willie colon getting beat like a rented mule...

http://media.cleveland.com/startingblocks/photo/8956488-large.jpg

the sacks....

dd82bOBATZQ

kirklandrules
10-12-2010, 06:38 AM

According to that video, I'd say the entire line acted like rented mules.

It's pretty obvious they didn't want to play in the cold. They deny it, but the idea you don't go to the field to warm up is telling. It should piss this team off knowing they didn't go to the playoffs because that Cleveland game was cold.

Also, if I were a Brownies fan I'd hang myself after watching that video. They make a video stating "Pittsburgh Sucks" when their team has been completely irrelevant the past 20 years? That's short bus riding sad.

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2010, 02:14 PM
According to that video, I'd say the entire line acted like rented mules.

It's pretty obvious they didn't want to play in the cold. They deny it, but the idea you don't go to the field to warm up is telling. It should piss this team off knowing they didn't go to the playoffs because that Cleveland game was cold.

Also, if I were a Brownies fan I'd hang myself after watching that video. They make a video stating "Pittsburgh Sucks" when their team has been completely irrelevant the past 20 years? That's short bus riding sad.
the steelers are so far in the clown fan heads and to a lesser extent the other afcn rivals fans , that beating the steelers is like winning a superbowl for them.
most clown fans would rather go 2-14 beating the steelers twice , than go 14-2 and losing to the steelers twice.... :noidea:

Steelerfreak58
10-12-2010, 03:39 PM
instead of thinking about who the clowns qb is going to play, i hope they're focusing on how to keep ben on his feet. 8 sacks :doh:

look for cribbs to be taking a lot of wildcat snaps. he had some pretty good success with it against the steelers last year .

3-1-PIT 24 (10:58) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 15 for -9 yards (99-C.Williams).

3-3-PIT 13 (5:45) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 3 for -10 yards (23-H.Poteat).

3-7-CLE 41 (15:00) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at CLV 48 for -7 yards (58-M.Benard).

2-12-PIT 40 (5:29) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 33 for -7 yards (99-C.Williams).

3-7-PIT 31 (6:04) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 20 for -11 yards (96-D.Bowens).

2-5-CLE 23 (:59) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at CLV 24 for -1 yards (91-B.Schaefering).

1-10-CLE 43 (2:40) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 48 for -9 yards (sack split by 56-K.Maiava and 91-B.Schaefering).

the sacks....

dd82bOBATZQ

That about sums it up. Its a division game. They will still come out and play tough. It is not an instant win by any means.

steelerohio
10-12-2010, 08:18 PM
the steelers are so far in the clown fan heads and to a lesser extent the other afcn rivals fans , that beating the steelers is like winning a superbowl for them.
most clown fans would rather go 2-14 beating the steelers twice , than go 14-2 and losing to the steelers twice.... :noidea:

Never made sense does it? I'd take going to the Playoffs and the hated rival having to stay home if I was them... even if I lost to the hated rival twice...

Atlanta Dan
10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Illustrating the maxim that even a broken clock is right twice a day, Florio at PFT gets off a good line

The entire Steelers defense will be disciplined under the Personal Conduct Policy after they get finished with Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/12/week-five-power-rankings/

rich4eagle
10-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I think the last time they played Cleveland won........................so much for the bloviation in this thread

urgle burgle
10-12-2010, 10:32 PM

the sacks....

i know, i know! aks me!

yes urgle....

you think ben does better in shotgun?

yes urgle........
now go kill yourself

Atlanta Dan
10-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I think the last time they played Cleveland won........................so much for the bloviation in this thread

Yeah - the Browns have owned the Steelers

Add to that the facts that last December the Steelers were playing on the road on a short week after losing 4 straight whereas this Sunday the Steelers are playing at home off a bye week with their franchise QB returning and the other team having a rookie QB in his first start - the similarities between last season's game and the upcoming one are
strikingly similar

Vegas obviously has the wrong team favored by 13 & 1/2:chuckle:

truesteelerfan
10-13-2010, 08:45 AM
If this colt McCoy kid is anywhere as good as the great draft picks we've gotten out of Texas (sweed, hills) then we're in a world of trouble.....lol! Can't wait to see our OLB meet in their backfield

Fire Haley
10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
LeBeau's defense got beat by Brady Quinn and Cribbs last year.

Anything is possible.

sharkweek
10-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Anything is possible.

Special teams blunders and turnovers on offense are not the responsibility of the defense, especially a defense plagued with injuries we have thus far been lucky to avoid this season.

In order to win on a consistent basis a team needs to perform well in every aspect of the game, I don't blame the loss to Cleveland last season on our defense anywhere near as much as I do the offense or special (more like special needs) teams.

Fire Haley
10-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I blame everyone for that loss, they came in ****y and got their asses beat.

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I blame everyone for that loss, they came in ****y and got their asses beat.
****y ? after losing 4 straight to bottom feeders ?

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Lebeau is gonna release the hounds this weekend-- I feel sorry for McCoy, but not too bad. I hope the Steelers don't sleep on this one, the Browns have played good teams down to the wire this season (of course, that was not with a rookie at QB).

MasterOfPuppets
10-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Anything is possible.
quinn had 6 completions for 90 yards, so i don't think he deserves much credit.
i do recall arians saying, when asked about running some wildcat , " our defense seen it one time and already figured out how to stop it" .... well that wasn't entirely true , but i still don't think you can hang the lose on lebeau's D . they only gave up 13 , with zero in the second half ... i don't see where anyone could put that lose on anyone but arians and the oline. 8 sacks ...:banging:

steelerdave1969
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
I hope for sure that I am not the only one that took this Browns team too lightly last year and we saw what happened to us then . . ? The Browns have led every game in the 4th Qtr til last week, so that shows they are not playing that bad and with the running game be a decent thing for them they have did ok. But when the Steelers play them sunday the Steelers are gonna take that running game away from the Browns and thats not good news for a QB, especially a Rookie QB at that. I see this game Not being 41-0 though either. I say closer to 27-10.

lionslicer
10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Ben doesn't take losing to rivals easy. After 2006 and only scoring 7 points in 2 games against the Ravens, in 2007, his first game against the Ravens, he throws 5 touchdowns in the first half... Obviously a rookie quarterback will suffer against the Steelers, and a back up they just signed who doesn't know the plays wont fair that well either. But I don't think the Browns defense can hold Ben back.

Fire Haley
10-13-2010, 04:37 PM
****y ? after losing 4 straight to bottom feeders ?

they weren't done unleashing hell yet