PDA

View Full Version : Steelers No. 2 quarterback likely will remain mystery

SteelCityMom
10-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Steelers No. 2 quarterback likely will remain mystery
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10285/1094482-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml&source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers#ixzz12A2WDRqH

Who's going to be the No. 2 quarterback now that Ben Roethlisberger is back?

Well, even Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich don't know.

Unless coach Mike Tomlin reveals his decision at his weekly news conference today, or decides to tell one of his backups later in the week, the selection will remain a mystery for at least a couple more days. And maybe until game day.

Here's why:

Unlike the routine under Bill Cowher, who always had the No. 2 quarterback take some snaps with the first-team offense at the end of a Friday practice, Tomlin does not let his backup quarterback work with the starters at all, not even for a series.

So Batch and Leftwich will split time as the scout-team quarterback this week and nothing else. They won't know who the top backup is until Tomlin tells them.

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
before the season started, lefty was brought here for the sole purpose to be the # 2, otherwise it made no sence to bring him in . batch was obviously going to be the odd man out. the lack of practice and preseason reps prove it. i don't see why lefty's injury or batch's 2 less than stellar performances should change the original train of thought.

truesteelerfan
10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Didn't Tomlin already state that Charlie will be our #2 QB as he's the only one on the roster who was healthy the first 4 weeks of the season? I'm good with that...Charlie is servicable.

Steelers>NFL
10-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Right now, who the back-up QB is mute point.

SteelCityMom
10-12-2010, 05:00 PM

I know...but it seems to be a REALLY slow newsday. :chuckle:

Steelers>NFL
10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
I know...but it seems to be a REALLY slow newsday. :chuckle:

Agree. It has/will be along 2 weeks.

ramblinjim
10-13-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm definitely ready for some football....

SteelKnight
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
before the season started, lefty was brought here for the sole purpose to be the # 2, otherwise it made no sence to bring him in . batch was obviously going to be the odd man out. the lack of practice and preseason reps prove it. i don't see why lefty's injury or batch's 2 less than stellar performances should change the original train of thought.

I'm with you on this Master. I gotta think Lefty offers more.

sharkweek
10-13-2010, 01:43 PM

While I agree with your points, I think we have to consider that while Batch wasn't anything amazing in his two games, he didn't do anything to cause a loss.

I could see the two QBs being good for different scenarios - if we're behind we'd probably rather have Leftwich in to try and keep the offense going, if we're up it might be good to have Batch in to game manage and not throw anything away.

But for the most part I really do agree, we brought in Leftwich with the obvious intention to use him as a replacement starter for when Ben was out during suspension and Batch was bumped as low as #4. So why should things be different now when Batch, while proving he can still play, hasn't really done anything to show he can put the offense on his shoulders and lead us to a win.

AndyWitmyer
10-13-2010, 02:02 PM

Or maybe..... a MOOT point!? :doh:

Anyway, I think it's somewhat lame that Tomlin won't allow the back up to take any snaps with the first team. But, I mean, I'm not paid to make those decisions so maybe there's a good reason for it. A reason that is simply beyond my mundane understanding.

Honestly, between Lefty and Batch, I'm torn. They're both serviceable, imo.