PDA

View Full Version : The Fog of War

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2010, 12:13 PM
anyone who's into history and never seen this documentary, i highly recommend it. its 11 , ten minute clips . ...there's tons of insight and first hand experience by robert mcnamara ( former secretary of defence appionted by kennedy) that you don't get from other history resources . he stresses just how really close we were to the brink of nuclear annihalation during the cuban missle crises . lots of ww2 and vietnam info i'd never heard before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKJr4MvkQM

.iXKJr4MvkQM

SteelCityMom
10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Awesome! Gonna check this out sometime soon.

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Awesome! Gonna check this out sometime soon.

i don't know if we have anybody here that was alive during the CMC , but what he had to say about it was enough to send chills up the spine. he said we were ready to invade cuba , and damn lucky we didn't . our intel was faulty on weather russia had already sent the nukes to cuba. we believed they hadn't had them yet. mcnamara had a meeting with castro after it had all blown over , and castro said he indeed had 160 nukes at his disposal and WOULD have used them had we invaded cuba.

SteelCityMom
10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
i don't know if we have anybody here that was alive during the CMC , but what he had to say about it was enough to send chills up the spine. he said we were ready to invade cuba , and damn lucky we didn't . our intel was faulty on weather russia had already sent the nukes to cuba. we believed they hadn't had them yet. mcnamara had a meeting with castro after it had all blown over , and castro said he indeed had 160 nukes at his disposal and WOULD have used them had we invaded cuba.

I wasn't alive then, but took an elective course on the Vietnam war years ago (and probably still have the book lying around somewhere), and remember reading something along those lines. I've heard the stories from my parents and grandparents too about the Cuban scare back then as well.

The movie Atomic Cafe (which you an watch on youtube as well) touches on it briefly too I think.

MasterOfPuppets
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
I wasn't alive then, but took an elective course on the Vietnam war years ago (and probably still have the book lying around somewhere), and remember reading something along those lines. I've heard the stories from my parents and grandparents too about the Cuban scare back then as well.

The movie Atomic Cafe (which you an watch on youtube as well) touches on it briefly too I think.
oh he said vietnam ball really got rolling because of false reports that navy ships were attacked by torpedos. i'll shut up now , so i don't ruin any suprises ...lol

ricardisimo
10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
One of my personal heroes comes out of the Cuban Missile Crisis, a fellow by the name of Vasili Arkhipov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasiliy_Arkhipov). He's almost without question the most important man who's ever lived. You and I and everyone else on the planet are alive today because of him, because he refused to follow orders.

Never underestimate the power of "no".

tony hipchest
10-12-2010, 08:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always knew you were a rooskie lover, Rico. Vinnie had you pegged. :chuckle:

MattsMe
10-12-2010, 10:26 PM
One of my personal heroes comes out of the Cuban Missile Crisis, a fellow by the name of Vasili Arkhipov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasiliy_Arkhipov). He's almost without question the most important man who's ever lived. You and I and everyone else on the planet are alive today because of him, because he refused to follow orders.

Never underestimate the power of "no".

NO.

That would be Brett Favre.

SteelersinCA
10-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Brett Favre?