PDA

View Full Version : Steelers close to resigning Batch

daleemnm
03-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Steelers | Team close to re-signing Batch
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:25:21 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free agent QB Charlie Batch (Steelers) is close to re-signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is expected to sign a contract Monday, March 13, for three or four years to return as QB Ben Roethlisberger's backup.

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Nice.

clevestinks
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Much Needed.

Batch must be on cloud nine. He came into this season wondering if he would have a job, now he won a ring in his hometown, and is getting a new contract to boot.

Charlie Batch, props to you.

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Much Needed.

Batch must be on cloud nine. He came into this season wondering if he would have a job, now he won a ring in his hometown, and is getting a new contract to boot.

Charlie Batch, props to you.

Yep. The guy never moaned or complained. When he came in this season he took advantage of his opportunity and played good ball. Homestead Charlie is staying in Da'Burgh. Hopefully.

daleemnm
03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Well, for the next few years if Ben would have a long-term injury i'm glad we got a capable backup.

83-Steelers-43
03-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Well, for the next few years if Ben would have a long-term injury i'm glad we got a capable backup.

True dat brother.

tony hipchest
03-13-2006, 05:21 PM
he seized the bull by the horns, thats for sure. he made more money than maddox as his back up. i think we can rest assured he wont make more $$$ than ben as his.

which raises an interresting question. does batch get paid more than maddox was last year? that would really piss maddox off! the norm or average in the nfl is about $2mil year for a backup. sage rosenfels pretty much got a little less than that to back up david carr (so much for that job tommy). if batch signs a 4 year deal for any less than $7-8 mil. he is definitely giving a hometown discount.

Stlrs4Life
03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Good deal. We still will have to draft a 3rd.

SteelerzGirl
03-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Yay! Excellent news! I have complete faith in Batch as Ben's backup. Congrats, Charlie! :smile:

Koopa
03-13-2006, 07:25 PM
aww hell, i just saw on the side, it saying steelers close to resinging..........., i got my hopes up thinking it was someone worth a damn lol, well good to see we'll have a decent backup, i just hope big ben can finally play all 16 games and not have to worry about who is backing him up

klick81
03-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Well deserved. Good job Batch!

Mr. Clean
03-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Good to see Charlie will re-sign with the Steelers. At this point, he is unlikely to be a starter in the NFL again, but being a career backup is far better than being a $40,000 desk jockey. he can make enough to be set for life.

I hope Mike Logan can re-sign with the Steelers. There are more thn a few who don't like him, but he is a local guy and loved being with the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Good deal. We still will have to draft a 3rd.

Agree 100%..look for a day 2 pickup of a QB..especially with ARE gone now, the thought of only having 2 Qb's on the roster will not be considered this year as in years past.

Prosdo
03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
This is very good news.

BB2W
03-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Charlie Batch will sign a contract with the Steelers this afternoon for the third time in five years.

Batch and the Steelers came to an agreement yesterday on a three-year contract that will pay him more than $1 million annually, nearly double what he earned last season. He was promoted to No. 2 quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger at midseason when Tommy Maddox faltered. Maddox was released last week.

Batch, 31, will become the third of the Steelers' 12 unrestricted free agents to sign a contract, with him and linebacker Clint Kriewaldt opting to stay and Antwaan Randle El joining the Washington Redskins.

"I didn't really plan on being anywhere else," Batch said. "I like the organization. This is where I want to be."

Other Steelers were in various states of negotiations with the Steelers and other clubs.

Defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen was in New York discussing a deal with the Jets, who will switch to the 3-4 defense next season and likely will trade defensive end John Abraham.

The Steelers and agent Eric Metz continue to trade proposals for defensive end Brett Keisel, who could replace von Oelhoffen at right end.

Safety Chris Hope yesterday visited the Tennessee Titans and will visit the San Francisco 49ers this week. The New England Patriots want to take a look at halfback Verron Haynes.

Batch signed with the Steelers in 2002 as a free agent from Detroit, where he started his first four seasons in the league. He remained mostly No. 3 with the Steelers and threw only eight passes in three seasons with the team.

Last season, though, he moved up to No. 2 after Maddox played terribly in a loss to Jacksonville Oct. 16. Batch played in four games and started two, both victories. He completed 23 of 36 passes for 246 yards and had one touchdown, one interception and an 81.5 passer rating.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06073/669976.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
03-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Chris Hope needs to bring his ass back to Pittsburgh and sign a deal.. Dont be thinking about any other team than the black n gold dude !!

Petesburgh66
03-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Hope must be smoking something if he is serious about going to the Teen Titans or 49ers.

SteelR1
03-14-2006, 01:10 AM
This will be a very important signing, Props to you Batch!!

DIESELMAN
03-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports free agent QB Charlie Batch (Steelers) will re-sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is expected to receive a three-year contract worth more than $1 million a season.

steelersgirl86
03-14-2006, 07:40 AM
Great news...congrats batch.....:bouncy: