PDA

View Full Version : players missed in the steelers drafts

tony hipchest
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
what players did you like for the team or think wouldve been better picks had not the steelers passed on them or missed the boat?

everybodys answer on this should be dan marino as #1 but since i didnt follow the draft back then and i think some of the answers will be cool i will say brian urlacher at #8 our highest pick in quite a while. we took plaxico and many thought we shouldve taken pennington. (plus hes a former lobo and n.m. naitive.)

Ambridge
03-13-2006, 07:51 PM
The Steelers had Johnny Unitas at one point and released him.

I think it was the 1999 Draft when the Steelers could have had Jevon Kearse and took Troy Edwards instead.

BB2W
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Larry Johnson
<>

Lambertfan
03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Add all them up then think of Big Ben,i will take Ben..

Mosca
03-14-2006, 10:54 PM
This website (http://www.steelertribute.com/L_WORST_PRSNL.HTM) (Steelers Tribute) lists bad personnel decisions. Pulling out the draft decisions,

Everyone drafted after

Jamaine Stevens in '96
John Reinstra in '86
Huey Richardson in '91
Tim Worley and Tom Ricketts (TWO first rounders!) in '89
Aaron Jones in '88
Troy Edwards in '99

Matter of fact, go to the list of first round picks (http://www.steelertribute.com/DRAFTHIS.HTM) and you can see a very good reason for the Steelers' recent success. Even though some recent guys are gone (Plax, for example), the talent evaluation is much better than it was from 1979-1996.

Tom

Steel Pit
03-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Steelers drafts have been far and away better since the departure of one Tom Donahoe.

FanecaFan66
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Steelers drafts have been far and away better since the departure of one Tom Donahoe.

yeah i've been pretty satisfied with the last 3

Troy

Ben

Heath

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 11:39 PM
or how bout in 2000, steelers drafted national champion qb (and successor to tenn.'s peyton manning) tee martin in the 6th round. i thought it was a quality pick at the time. later that round the patriots drafted tom brady.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-14-2006, 11:48 PM
or how bout in 2000, steelers drafted national champion qb (and successor to tenn.'s peyton manning) tee martin in the 6th round. i thought it was a quality pick at the time. later that round the patriots drafted tom brady.

Good point....Truth is.......nothing is guranteed....."ryan leaf"......think about.....how many pro-bowlers were first round picks........i think the first round is over ratted..... there are quality players through out the draft.........now. ofcourse you have the top 5-10players but after that......anything can happen

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Good point....Truth is.......nothing is guranteed....."ryan leaf"......think about.....how many pro-bowlers were first round picks........i think the first round is over ratted..... there are quality players through out the draft.........now. ofcourse you have the top 5-10players but after that......anything can happen

but didnt you ever have a favorite player in college or something you really wanted the steelers to take? i wanted the steelers to take curtis martin. i cant remember who they drafted instead ( 3rd round 94?)

BigSteelThrill
03-15-2006, 07:43 AM
Larry Johnson
<>
They took Troy Polamalu over him!

Troy was the best safety in the entire league last year and we won the Super Bowl!

siss
03-15-2006, 10:29 AM
You win some (Ben) and you loose some (Marino)

MNsteelers
03-15-2006, 11:27 AM
but didnt you ever have a favorite player in college or something you really wanted the steelers to take? i wanted the steelers to take curtis martin. i cant remember who they drafted instead ( 3rd round 94?)

Lamar Gordon (RB, I think he's with Philadelphia now), only because he went to my alma mater.

Every team has a chance to draft about 90 percent of the players who are taken, so there are literally hundreds of guys I would have liked to have seen them draft.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-15-2006, 03:01 PM
what players did you like for the team or think wouldve been better picks had not the steelers passed on them or missed the boat?

everybodys answer on this should be dan marino as #1 but since i didnt follow the draft back then and i think some of the answers will be cool i will say brian urlacher at #8 our highest pick in quite a while. we took plaxico and many thought we shouldve taken pennington. (plus hes a former lobo and n.m. naitive.)

Marino is the 'no-brainer' but Noll didn't like to draft locally. I still scratch my head on that one. He never had the support of a running game.

I don't like the idea of using 1st round picks on receivers. That is one position I believe where you can find value in the 2nd or 3rd from mid-level colleges so I didn't like the Plax pick.

Kevin Colburt should be crowned. Our drafts since he took over have been just plain sick. Kiesel in the 7th round? Haggans in the 5th?

BB2W
03-15-2006, 05:34 PM
They took Troy Polamalu over him!

Troy was the best safety in the entire league last year and we won the Super Bowl!
I relize that... I'm a big Penn State fan. LJ is like my favorite player ever, and he said he wanted to play for Pittsburgh and I was bummed they didn't take him. I will always wish they would have taken him... Troy is great, but thats how I feel. He asked, and I answered.

I will really wish they would have taken LJ sometime next season when he's on pace for about 4,500 yards, and 50 TD's.
<>

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 05:41 PM
I relize that... I'm a big Penn State fan. LJ is like my favorite player ever,
<>

atleast you didnt say curtis enos or ki-janna carter! good answer. (although im happy with troy) that year the toss up was really between grossman or l. johnson and i definitely didnt want grossman over l.j. polamalu was projected to the colts

MNsteelers
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
atleast you didnt say curtis enos or ki-janna carter! good answer. (although im happy with troy) that year the toss up was really between grossman or l. johnson and i definitely didnt want grossman over l.j. polamalu was projected to the colts

Geez, how scary would the Colts be if they had Polamalu AND Bob Sanders in a Cover 2? Nasty...

remember, they traded the spot LJ was taken by the Chiefs in order to get Polamalu (the only time Pittsburgh ever traded up in the first round). One of the best trades for both sides in NFL history. Worked out very well for both teams.

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
the steelers kept it under wraps that polamalu was that strong on the steelers radar. it was widely assumed either l.j. or grossman would fall into the steelers laps. both were big needs. i dont know if l.j. or grossman would lead the steelers to the sb and a 15-1 season if troy werent there. i doubt it. but l.j. would still be putting up sick numbers. bb2w may not be too far off his 4500 yd prognostication. lol