PDA

View Full Version : Let fans have referendum on Roethlisberger before he takes a snap

mesaSteeler
10-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Let fans have referendum on Roethlisberger before he takes a snap

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:15 AM
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/25588-tomlin-should-allow-referendum-on-roethlisberger-before-he-takes-a-snap

It is the expressed belief of Steelers coach Mike Tomlin that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was suspended four games for violating the NFL personal conduct policy, will be greeted in a cordial fashion by fans when he returns to play Sunday at Heinz Field.

''I expect him to get a warm reception. I really do," Tomlin said at his press conference yesterday. ''I really think that's the nature of Steeler Nation. I know we're excited about having him back. I know he's excited about getting back with his teammates and performing for our fans at Heinz Field."

If that's what Tomlin believes, and I'm not doubting him, he should put his money where his mouth is. He should have Roethlisberger individually introduced with the rest of the offense before the Steelers-Cleveland Browns game.

Teams have a choice as to which unit is introduced individually before home games. In the Steelers first two games, the defense was introduced. The offense should be introduced Sunday to allow the fans a referendum on Roethlisberger before he throws his first pass, before he takes his first snap.

The guess here is Roethlisberger will get the warm reception Tomlin expects.

There are a couple of reasons for that.

Roethlisberger is the key to the remainder of the season. If he's performing up to his normal standards, the Steelers are not just a team with a chance to win the Super Bowl, they're one of the favorites. The fans don't want to mess that up by failing to send Ben the proper measure of love and with that the possibility of throwing him off his game.

That's not to say there won't be some in the crowd of about 65,000 that still bear malice toward Roethlisberger. They believe his suspension, the result of a rowdy night in Georgia in March when there were suggestions of sexual assault, was a slap on the wrist.

But the majority of that small group will be willing to put their personal feelings aside for the good of the team.

But beyond wishing to put Roethlisberger in a good mood is the belief, as Tomlin suggested, that Steeler fans -- and few are more dedicated than the season-ticket holders who attend home games -- truly believe Roethlisberger is attempting to rehabilitate himself.

We won't know for years and maybe never if Roethlisberger is putting on a good act in an attempt to impress commissioner Roger Goodell, the man who suspended him, the Steelers fans and the general public. But a fair-minded person -- and most people are that -- is willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's why Tomlin should get it over with early and allow the crowd to express its feeling about Roethlisberger before he plays a down. Once he starts playing, he's pretty much just another quarterback. If he plays poorly, the fans will let him know about it, and it will have nothing to do with his personal behavior and everything to do with his football behavior.

truesteelerfan
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Any fans that still harbor bad feelings on Ben need to get on with their lives. I really, really don't want to start the innocent before proven guilty discussion we beat to death here over the summer, but come on....If you don't want to support your team's most important player find a new team. He's our quarterback, we need to support him on the field...You have the right to not like him as a person- go ahead and boo him if you see in in a bar or restaurant....but if you support the Steelers, you need to support the entire team-and he's a big part of that team.

sharkweek
10-13-2010, 01:31 PM
They shouldn't do anything special on account of Roethlisberger. We've been winning because of defense thus far and thus they should be honored for that fact. Let the offense and Ben be introduced after he's had a good game and earned it.

AndyWitmyer
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I've been seriously considering buying a Ben jersey just to show my support of him - this coming from someone who has never purchased a jersey before in his life. I just think its disgusting how people continue to berate him at every turn, even though he was never even charged. I just got into a heated argument with my workmates the other day about Ben - the amount of stupidity going on was mind blowing! One of my workmates stated that Ben should be in jail for what he did, since the victim of was 16 years old, and that his crime was statutory rape. WTF!!?! I argued again and again that the "victim" was 20 years old, and was using a fake ID (and thus probably told Ben she was older than she was to begin with). Three other workmates all agreed that she was 16 and argued with me on the point. Where does this shit even come from!? They all accused him of rape and that he was a disgusting person. And all four of these people making this point were Steelers fans. Unbelievable. :banging:

stb_steeler
10-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I've been seriously considering buying a Ben jersey just to show my support of him - this coming from someone who has never purchased a jersey before in his life. I just think its disgusting how people continue to berate him at every turn, even though he was never even charged. I just got into a heated argument with my workmates the other day about Ben - the amount of stupidity going on was mind blowing! One of my workmates stated that Ben should be in jail for what he did, since the victim of was 16 years old, and that his crime was statutory rape. WTF!!?! I argued again and again that the "victim" was 20 years old, and was using a fake ID (and thus probably told Ben she was older than she was to begin with). Three other workmates all agreed that she was 16 and argued with me on the point. Where does this shit even come from!? They all accused him of rape and that he was a disgusting person. And all four of these people making this point were Steelers fans. Unbelievable. :banging:

People who hate usually make shit up so it doesnt make em look stupid. Their just throwing shit to the wind. I'd tell em come back when you have something more mature to discuss. Tell em to go root for another team. We cant rely on a he said she said statement.

HAWK
10-13-2010, 04:59 PM
How about this? The Pittsburgh Steelers are a privately owned organization/business. They don't need anyone's approval on whom to employ. People seem to forget that. If you don't like said business' practices then stop patronizing them.

fer522
10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
tell them to go root for the brows thie weekend

I've been seriously considering buying a Ben jersey just to show my support of him - this coming from someone who has never purchased a jersey before in his life. I just think its disgusting how people continue to berate him at every turn, even though he was never even charged. I just got into a heated argument with my workmates the other day about Ben - the amount of stupidity going on was mind blowing! One of my workmates stated that Ben should be in jail for what he did, since the victim of was 16 years old, and that his crime was statutory rape. WTF!!?! I argued again and again that the "victim" was 20 years old, and was using a fake ID (and thus probably told Ben she was older than she was to begin with). Three other workmates all agreed that she was 16 and argued with me on the point. Where does this shit even come from!? They all accused him of rape and that he was a disgusting person. And all four of these people making this point were Steelers fans. Unbelievable.

Fire Haley
10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Ben 5 for 5, 400 yds, 5 TD's.

There's your referendum

SoCalFan
10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
I wont be heard but I will be cheering him on way out West while wearing my away white authentic Roethlisberger #7...Im sure hes going to have a few hecklers out of the thousands of supporters.Probably some women activasts willing to shell out a few thousand on tickets to try to prove a point!

scsteeler
10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Boy I see that they are going to carry this thing on as long as they can. I wonder what is going to happen to Brett FARVE? I say Ben has served his suspension let him move on and play football or in the real world work and make a living.