PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: Steelers 'very balanced'

mesaSteeler
10-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: Steelers 'very balanced'
October, 13, 2010
Oct 13
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/18898/ben-roethlisberger-steelers-very-balanced
By James Walker
PITTSBURGH -- Will the Pittsburgh Steelers run the football more or pass more now that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is back? That is the question.

According to Roethlisberger, the answer is neither. In his first game back from a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, Roethlisberger expects Pittsburgh (3-1) to mix in both Sunday against the Cleveland Browns (1-4).

"I think we will be very balanced, and we're going to take what they give us," Roethlisberger said. "If they're loading up the box, we will try to throw it. If they're sitting back, we will run the ball."

Behind tailback Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers have morphed into one of the NFL's best running teams through the first five weeks of the season. Mendenhall has 411 rushing yards, four touchdowns and is averaging 4.6 yards per carry. The running game has kept Pittsburgh's defense rested and aggressive.

"It's been successful thus far this season," Steelers left tackle Max Starks said. "And as the old adage goes 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'"

Cleveland's secondary has struggled in division games against the Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals. Pittsburgh is certainly watching those films and seeing potential weaknesses it can exploit.

But the Steelers have to be careful not to go overboard with the pass now that Roethlisberger is back. He threw for a career-high 4,328 yards last season, but Pittsburgh failed to make the postseason.

"We don't want to force anything; that's going to be key for me," Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to go out there and play my game. But I've said it before, that if we go out and put up 20 yards of offense and win 3-0, winning is what matters to me."