PDA

View Full Version : So, who's going to step up & be our return guy now?

WWIIOwheelz
03-14-2006, 12:02 AM
ARE really did develop into that role very well. I was taken by how many times, during the SI DVD, he took it all the way during the year. I tend to focus on the grind much moreso than special teams, but those points sure didn't hurt.

I've told all my Redskin buddies they'll be loving ARE. (5 mill/per? What are they smoking?)

Steel Pit
03-14-2006, 01:44 AM
At this point I'll "guess' that Ricardo Colclough will be our punt returner.

Koopa
03-14-2006, 02:23 AM
ARE is overrated in this department, he only had two touchdowns punt returning, he danced way to damn much. he's kinda like willie parker, he does crap on three in a row and then breaks a long one to make his stats look nice. we can find a speed burner in the second day of the draft and let him return punts.

PisnNapalm
03-14-2006, 05:12 AM
Ike Taylor could do some returns.

I know this would never happen, but wouldn't it cool to see Troy try to return a few? I'd say go for it except I definitely don't want to risk an injury to him.

SteelCurtain
03-14-2006, 07:57 AM
I'd guess Colclough too...he had a nice return against the Lions, I believe.

Zez
03-14-2006, 08:21 AM
I'd guess Colclough too...he had a nice return against the Lions, I believe.

LOL, Randle El had a punt return for a TD against Detroit too....

If Nick Mangold is not available, and Sinorice Moss is, draft him. Moss can return punts and would be a good 3rd receiver in the event we don't resign Quincy Morgan.

Ohio Steeler
03-14-2006, 08:46 AM
I would really love to see us go out and draft Devin Hester just to return punt and kickoff's the kid can fly.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 09:27 AM
As long as it's not Colclough, I'll be happy. That guy either runs directly into the pile, stops and starts or puts the ball on the ground.

Ike Taylor would be nice, but I'm not willing to see our best corner take an injury on a punt return.

If we happen to resign Quincy Morgan, I wouldn't mind watching him return kicks.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
We'll probably resign Quincy for the very reason that he returns kicks, and can play WR.

I think the Steelers will address the PR situation in the draft, with Coke as a fallback...

Avoid Lloyd
03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Please don't let it be Colclough....I've never seen someone consistently run into the pile as much as he does.

BB2W
03-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Please don't let it be Colclough....I've never seen someone consistently run into the pile as much as he does.
I agree... he runs right into the coverage on all of his returns.

benberger
03-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Ill do it!!!! I hereby volunteer.

melroseplace
03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
I vote for benberger. but if for some reason (altho I can't think of any :wink:) that doesn't work out, I'll go with Morgan

Haiku_Dirtt
03-14-2006, 12:45 PM
ARE really did develop into that role very well. I was taken by how many times, during the SI DVD, he took it all the way during the year. I tend to focus on the grind much moreso than special teams, but those points sure didn't hurt.

I've told all my Redskin buddies they'll be loving ARE. (5 mill/per? What are they smoking?)

Replacing EL as a returner is not very different than having to replace Sean Morey as a
special teams stand-out. And I don't recall "many times" that El went all the way - I do remember the east-west yardage and the incessant dancing.

That next special return player will come from somewhere but if its not immediate I won't have sleepless nights. Right now a guy with speed who can catch a football and not TURNOVER the football is all we need. Finding ARE's replacement as a returner won't be unlike finding a SUV in a used car lot with oil trading @ $100 per barrel.

And I don't think Skins Fan will be all that happy with that inept anemic offense. If ARE couldn't be productive with Ben as QB, then how in the hell will he produce with their stiffs 'throwing' the ball? ARE's numbers were subpar last season.

And 5 mil per year...that smoke you smell is the aroma of Greenbacks burning in Dan Snyder's stove. Now that is something he knows and does well.

WWIIOwheelz
03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
And I don't recall "many times" that El went all the way - I do remember the east-west yardage and the incessant dancing.

It's got to be that SI video. :) I've watched it so many times, I suppose I've seen him take it all the way more often than he really did. I checked NFL.com, and he only had 2 during the regular season. Wasn't there one in the playoffs as well? Hmmm.

Yeah, he did a lot of East/West stuff, but he made some things happen. He had some long returns that weren't for TDs. He made some pretty poor decisions, too, and the one against NE was unthinkable.

I think someone will fall into the role pretty well, and as you said, protecting the football & playing smart will get the most love from Cowher.

rgleason
03-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Whatever you think about the dancing around, bottom line for me with PR is not turning the ball over. ARE was pretty damn good, and had some big time returns - keeping us in the game vs JAX, and the DET one was big. He is one of the more dangerous Punt Returners in the League, and that will be missed, but as someone said, we wont be losing any sleep over it.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 01:56 PM
It's got to be that SI video. :) I've watched it so many times, I suppose I've seen him take it all the way more often than he really did. I checked NFL.com, and he only had 2 during the regular season. Wasn't there one in the playoffs as well? Hmmm.

the video does a great job of highlighting about 8-10 critical and gamechanging plays by el throughout the year. his contributions were far greater than just his numbers would suggest.

MichiSteeler
03-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure. But to these people who suggest Sinorice Moss.. why?? All he is basically is a punt returner, and other than that he would be of hardly any value. He is so small that i just cant see him being productive in the NFL. When we adress WR, I'm lovin Nance:cool:

Steel Pit
03-16-2006, 12:37 AM
At this point I'll "guess' that Ricardo Colclough will be our punt returner.

Check "quick hits" at the bottom of this link.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06075/671079.stm

Koopa
03-16-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm not sure. But to these people who suggest Sinorice Moss.. why?? All he is basically is a punt returner, and other than that he would be of hardly any value. He is so small that i just cant see him being productive in the NFL. When we adress WR, I'm lovin Nance:cool:

santana moss (sinorice older brother), steve smith, ward, they are small and have value. i know i talked shit in the past about small wrs but they are starting to dominate. the big guys are some what overrated now a days. sinorice is a speed burner and doesn't need height, he can just run past everyone and big ben will just air it out to him. don't sleep on midget wrs like i have in the past, they finna take over

Stlrs4Life
03-16-2006, 05:04 PM
According to Colbert, it is Recardo Colclough! Ickk, he stinks at it!

FanecaFan66
03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
santana moss (sinorice older brother), steve smith, ward, they are small and have value. i know i talked shit in the past about small wrs but they are starting to dominate. the big guys are some what overrated now a days. sinorice is a speed burner and doesn't need height, he can just run past everyone and big ben will just air it out to him. don't sleep on midget wrs like i have in the past, they finna take over

I gotta agree. I make no secret of it. I'm really high on this guy. He could return punts for us, play slot and stretch the field, even demand extra attention that frees up room down the middle of the hashes for our TE's, or other recievers. His 40 time was 4.38 making him the 3rd fastest WR in the draft which means if he's still around at 32 which i think he will be, then he's a steal at that number.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
03-18-2006, 09:50 PM
I agree I like him I hope we draft sinorice moss

BlitzburghRockCity
03-18-2006, 10:59 PM
According to Colbert, it is Recardo Colclough! Ickk, he stinks at it!

Ick is right ! :dang: Coc doesnt hit the holes fast enough. Sure he had that return in pre season but all year long every time he touched the ball in the return game I held my breath.

Petesburgh66
03-20-2006, 07:21 PM
edit - nevermind

MattsMe
03-20-2006, 08:43 PM
According to the Steelers website

http://news.steelers.com/team/player/-1?sort=2

Morgan is on the roster (and this includes all recent activity).

I don't think that page is up to date. It usually takes them a few days to make changes.
ARE was on the roster list for 2 or 3 days after signing with the foreskins. Hope I'm wrong though. I always liked Quincy.

SteelShooter
03-21-2006, 03:00 AM

Hear Hear!!! :m16: You hit the Bullseye on that one! Or he just dances too much (like Willie) and gets dropped for little/no gain. Don't get me wrong, I love Fast Willie to death...but if he would just turn upfield and go, then he would at least pck 1 or 2 yards instead of losing 2 or 3 (like in SB XL!). Watch him...he will pause, dance, and lose ground...and as posted above, bust one wide open to get his numbers up. Hmmmmmm....

I'd like Sinorice too! Contrary to MichiSteeler's comment.

For MichiSteeler: How tall is SB XL's MVP? :chair: By far, NOT the tallest Receiver out there!

Go for Sinorice! Go for Sinorice! Go for Sinorice! Go for Sinorice! Go for Sinorice!

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 03:41 AM
If Morgan is back with us, he did a greta job on K/O returns. Punt returns will be Ricardo and possibly Washington unless we do draft a spedy receiver that returned punts in college.

DIESELMAN
03-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Steelers searching for return man

Stanford's Rushing would fill a Steelers need By Mike Eubanks
TheBootleg.com
Date: Mar 21, 2006

Tim Dwight, who visited Pittsburgh on Tuesday, is now a New York Jet. But he wasn't the first, nor will he be the last, skilled return man to visit the South Side Complex. The Steelers have already worked out one of the speed demons available in April's NFL draft.

T.J. Rushing has already held a workout with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and today he is joined by Stanford outside linebacker and good friend Jon Alston in working out for the Dallas Cowboys. The cornerback/kick returner prospect has other scheduled workouts upcoming, including the New England Patriots on March 30 and the St. Louis Rams on April 3.

Cornerback/kick returner T.J. Rushing has helped Stanford with a number of memorable performances on The Farm, but the senior last week at Stanford's Pro Day put forth a showing that helped himself. An afterthought for many analysts and scouts for the upcoming NFL Draft, Rushing performed in front of representatives from most of the league impressively.

Rushing ran the fastest 40 of the day among Stanford's seniors, with a 4.34 despite rainy conditions that made for slick grass and a number of slow times. He also recorded a 40" vertical jump and - most impressive of all - put up 20 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press.

"Everybody had me billed as a guy not strong enough and not fast enough," Rushing comments. "Any questions about speed and strength were answered [at Pro Day], even though the surface conditions were not what I wanted and I didn't run as fast as I wanted."

Not invited to the NFL Combines in Indianapolis (Ind.), Rushing had his first real opportunity to test and perform drills in front of an audience of NFL scouts last Wednesday. Believe it or not, he had been listed with "4.55" speed in the publications and data that circulates among scouts and general managers. Rushing rewrote that notion at Pro Day and now has scouts talking about his speed.

The other issue for Rushing has been his size, not among the biggest of cornerbacks at 5'9". But he says that he is not far from the size of many at his position in the NFL. Moreover, his leaping ability helps erase further concerns where size could be an issue.

"We've looked, and the average corner throughout the league is 5'9.75"," Rushing states. "And I think I answered that with my vertical. Some people were wondering if at my size I would get beat on the deep ball. If I can go up and bat it down, then there is no issue."