PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign FS Ryan Clark

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
"Also this afternoon, former Redskins starting safety Ryan Clark agreed to a four-year contract with Pittsburgh, according to his agent, Joel Turner. Clark, who went from obscurity to become a regular contributor on one of the NFL's premier defenses, spoke with Washington for the better part of a year about a contract extension, but a deal could never be reached.

Clark's first visit was with Pittsburgh yesterday -- he was the first free agent entertained by the Super Bowl champion Steelers as well -- and final details of the contract were settled around 2:30 this afternoon. Clark came to Washington in 2004 after being cut by the New York Giants and was not expected to make the team but ended up getting a starting spot.".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/14/AR2006031400957.html

Sharkissle29
03-14-2006, 04:13 PM
beat me to it. i've never heard of this guy, but i guess the redskins fans loved him. he should be a good aquisiton.

bye hope.

welcome clark

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Basic information about Ryan Clark.........

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/303349

Livinginthe past
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Looks like a solid signing from what I can gather on a brief tour of Redskin forums.

NM

BB2W
03-14-2006, 04:33 PM
I always thought Tyrone Carter could step in for Hope, but I think I like this signing. Here are some quotes I found while doing some searches. I like what they say. :cool:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/234024.jpg

Clark is a speedy and versatile player who excels in coverage on defense and is not afraid to come up and make a tackle on a running back.

Despite his humble beginnings in the NFL, Clark has emerged as a leader on the defense. While middle linebacker Lemar Marshall helps get the front seven make adjustments at the line of scrimmage, Clark often helps the secondary get in position before the snap.

Said Marcus Washington of the 5-11, 200-pound Clark: "Ryan thinks he's a linebacker out there. He thinks he's a lot bigger than he is. He's probably one of the hardest workers on the team. A lot of times, he stays late after practice, putting more film work in. He's definitely a leader out there."

"He's got a fire to him," end Renaldo Wynn said. "He's out there just blowing people up."

"A lot of people say I play with a chip on my shoulder," Clark said. "I don't have a chip. I'm in the NFL; there's no chip. I'm just excited to be playing, and excited to get the chance I've been given here. And I want to keep making the guys who gave me a chance look good, and the people who didn't look bad. I do relish that, but I've been proving people wrong for a long time."

"He has the mentality of the whole team," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "He does whatever he's asked to do, he never complains about anything. He just goes out there and performs to the best of his ability. He's what you call a football player. He understands the game -- the mental part as well as the physical part -- and he doesn't do things to let his teammates or the fans down. He doesn't showboat. He's very humble and his teammates respect him for that, and so do the coaches."

klick81
03-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Does that mean hope is pretty much gone?

Koopa
03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
well i'm gonna miss hope but i'll welcome this guy with open arms, i like those things you put there bb2w, i hope he can do what hope did which isn't much just allow troy to do his thing and don't get beat deep all the time. and i too think carter could do a good job even though he's what 5'8"?

Sharkissle29
03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
he just about fits the definition of: A Pittsburgh Steeler

he'll fit right in

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Does that mean hope is pretty much gone?

In my opinion, there is no doubt.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm just hoping this guy is good at tackling. In my opinion, if there was one part of Hope's game that was questionable, it was his tackling ability.

BB2W
03-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Here is an article from November titled "Safety Clark a Big Hit"

When receiver Santana Moss, who's generously listed at 5-foot-10 and 190 pounds, joined the Redskins in March, he was a little skeptical on hearing that 5-11, 200-pound safety Ryan Clark was a big hitter.

"I kind of looked at Ryan and I was like, 'Are you sure?'" Moss said. "Then in our (Aug. 6) scrimmage against the Ravens, I saw him fly around and throw his body (around) ... It was very impressive, seeing his size. Better him than me."

That's just fine with Clark. Despite missing the first two games with a sprained knee suffered during preseason and the Denver game with a bruised spleen suffered against Seattle, Clark has 25 tackles, fifth on the team.

"I've never been scared to hit," Clark said. "I go up and try to hit. Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose. Lately, I've been winning more than losing. I had a good friend tell me, 'You're either going to be the hammer or the nail.' I might be a small hammer, not a sledgehammer."

Brian Westbrook got a quick taste of that last Sunday when Clark put the Pro Bowl running back on his butt after a 1-yard gain to end Philadelphia's first series.

"Ryan thinks he's a linebacker," linebacker Marcus Washington said.

Clark hasn't forgotten being told by New York defensive coordinator Tim Lewis "they think you can't tackle" before the Giants cut him in the winter of 2004. Clark made a career-high 14 tackles and his first career interception two weeks ago against the Giants.

"Ryan plays with a chip on his shoulder," safeties coach Steve Jackson said.

That's unfortunate for opposing ball carriers.

Said Jackson, "Ryan goes out with the intention of, 'It's either going to be you or it's going to be me. One of us is going to be the fly. One of us is going to be the windshield.' That's the way he approaches every tackle, every bit of contact."

link: http://redskins.scout.com/2/465176.html

FanecaFan66
03-14-2006, 04:49 PM
what was Hope's asking price?
anyone know? Because I'm not sure why we signed Clark unless a deal with Hope was out of the question in terms of $$$

remember Clark has to learn a new system of defense. I'm not too excited about the best saftey tandem in the league being split up

clevestinks
03-14-2006, 04:50 PM
I like the sounds of him so far! We`ll see.

Koopa
03-14-2006, 04:53 PM
what was Hope's asking price?
anyone know? Because I'm not sure why we signed Clark unless a deal with Hope was out of the question in terms of $$$

remember Clark has to learn a new system of defense. I'm not too excited about the best saftey tandem in the league being split up

yeah i think he said he wanted to be paid like a top five saftey which he doesn't deserve, but i was hoping he'd come to his senses and stay on a winning team and be part of something special with that young backfield

Stlrs4Life
03-14-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm just hoping this guy is good at tackling. In my opinion, if there was one part of Hope's game that was questionable, it was his tackling ability.

I agree, this will be interesting. Would like to see the next interview by Hope.

You think there is room for both of these guys? But why when you got the draft coming up to.

MNsteelers
03-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I've seen him play a few times, and to be honest, he's pretty much exactly like Hope. Their size, their athletic ability, their play-making skill...either one of them MIGHT get a pro bowl season at some point, and will be a solid contributor. If he's costing less than Hope, let him join Randle-El and go somewhere else.
Welcome aboard, Ryan!

SalukiSteelers
03-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Well, it's tough to question Pittsburgh's front office when it comes to letting players leave via free agency. I just hope that it's the right choice and that the learning curve for LeBeau's defense isn't too steep for Clark to step in and contribute. Too bad about Hope though. He was really coming in to his own the last couple seasons.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 05:04 PM
It looks like Clark is a film monster, just like Troy, so the two should get along well...

MNsteelers
03-14-2006, 05:08 PM
In my opinion, there is no doubt.

Obviously, they aren't going to keep both of them. We still need another safety in the draft. I know Tyrone Carter is a fan favorite and everything (I'm from his alma mater Minnesota), but he's just not going to cut being anything more than a dime back.

Prosdo
03-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I like what I'm hearing about Clark.

SteelerFanInCA
03-14-2006, 05:17 PM
I always thought Tyrone Carter could step in for Hope, but I think I like this signing. Here are some quotes I found while doing some searches. I like what they say. :cool:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/234024.jpg

Clark is a speedy and versatile player who excels in coverage on defense and is not afraid to come up and make a tackle on a running back.

Despite his humble beginnings in the NFL, Clark has emerged as a leader on the defense. While middle linebacker Lemar Marshall helps get the front seven make adjustments at the line of scrimmage, Clark often helps the secondary get in position before the snap.

Said Marcus Washington of the 5-11, 200-pound Clark: "Ryan thinks he's a linebacker out there. He thinks he's a lot bigger than he is. He's probably one of the hardest workers on the team. A lot of times, he stays late after practice, putting more film work in. He's definitely a leader out there."

"He's got a fire to him," end Renaldo Wynn said. "He's out there just blowing people up."

"A lot of people say I play with a chip on my shoulder," Clark said. "I don't have a chip. I'm in the NFL; there's no chip. I'm just excited to be playing, and excited to get the chance I've been given here. And I want to keep making the guys who gave me a chance look good, and the people who didn't look bad. I do relish that, but I've been proving people wrong for a long time."

"He has the mentality of the whole team," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "He does whatever he's asked to do, he never complains about anything. He just goes out there and performs to the best of his ability. He's what you call a football player. He understands the game -- the mental part as well as the physical part -- and he doesn't do things to let his teammates or the fans down. He doesn't showboat. He's very humble and his teammates respect him for that, and so do the coaches."
Some good points. I like this guy's attitude and work ethic already.

MNsteelers
03-14-2006, 05:21 PM
I agree, this will be interesting. Would like to see the next interview by Hope.

You think there is room for both of these guys? But why when you got the draft coming up to.

If the Steelers were interested in paying Hope top five safety money and that wasn't an issue, they would have at least franchised him when they had the chance. From the looks of it, and we all know how Pittsburgh operates largely in silence in regards to these things, Clark was their guy all along, and weren't particularly interested in signing Hope to a long, expensive deal. Keep in mind, this is far from unusual for Pittsburgh to do. El and Hope are not the kinds of players Pittsburgh is going to keep around for another five years. Troy, Ben, hopefully Porter...those are the guys with nearly guaranteed extensions, but that's about it.

(but don't be surprised to see Joey leave after next season when he is a FA if Pittsburgh drafts Carpenter)

OX1947
03-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Signing Hope for a big deal means less cash for Big Ben and Taz. And I do not care who they let go, as long as those two are hooked up when they are free agents. You can find another FS who can cover and tackle, you cant find Big Ben's or Troys..

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 05:31 PM
1. If the Steelers were interested in paying Hope top five safety money and that wasn't an issue, they would have at least franchised him when they had the chance. From the looks of it, and we all know how Pittsburgh operates largely in silence in regards to these things, Clark was their guy all along, and weren't particularly interested in signing Hope to a long, expensive deal. Keep in mind, this is far from unusual for Pittsburgh to do. El and Hope are not the kinds of players Pittsburgh is going to keep around for another five years. Troy, Ben, hopefully Porter...those are the guys with nearly guaranteed extensions, but that's about it.

(but don't be surprised to see Joey leave after next season when he is a FA if Pittsburgh drafts Carpenter)

What was 2.?

I'm not sure they had a bead on Clark, but they definitely were in control of the situation and would have signed someone to fill Hope's shoes.

Now the question is, who signs Hope? I don't think he's even visited any teams yet, has he? And what if the market isn't as receptive as it once was? Adam Archeluta signing for way too much money is going to up the ante for other teams, and most that need safeties aren't owned by idiots like Snyder.

geran42o
03-14-2006, 05:38 PM
If this guy hits as hard as they say. With Troy, WE will have the hardest hitting Safeties in the league.

Petesburgh66
03-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I like what I am hearing about Clark.

Hope was replaceable and often a liability when left on his own to cover a WR. I hope Clark is an upgrade in this department.

Ambridge
03-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Greg Williams had the Redskin defense near the top of the NFC and near the top of the NFL as a total last season so it's good to know that Clark isn't coming from a slouch system.
Sounds like a smart, calculated move by the Steelers.

MNsteelers
03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
What was 2.?

I'm not sure they had a bead on Clark, but they definitely were in control of the situation and would have signed someone to fill Hope's shoes.

Now the question is, who signs Hope? I don't think he's even visited any teams yet, has he? And what if the market isn't as receptive as it once was? Adam Archeluta signing for way too much money is going to up the ante for other teams, and most that need safeties aren't owned by idiots like Snyder.

Sorry, my bad. I think I had a 2 in there somewhere, but it got lost in the editing process. I read somewhere Hope had visited with Tennessee today - a team that is attacking the free agent market much like Washington.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Makes sense...the Titans nee Oilers have a history of hard hitting safeties.

DIESELMAN
03-14-2006, 06:40 PM
that pretty much slams the door on Hope's return......I think its a good move though we'll see come september.....:helmet:

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-14-2006, 06:59 PM

Clark often helps the secondary get in position before the snap.

If he brings thes atttributes it sounds like he should be wearing Black n Gold !!

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I asked this question at the end of my post on Brett Keisel being re-signed, but since this is the Clark thread I will re-ask it here.

Is anyone else concerned that the Redskins overpaid yesterday for a safety with coverage problems (Aucheletta) when they obviously could have kept Clark for far less $$$.

Someone on the Redskins' coaching staff must have had some concerns with Clark's skills.

SteelerMurf
03-14-2006, 07:14 PM
I asked this question at the end of my post on Brett Keisel being re-signed, but since this is the Clark thread I will re-ask it here.

Is anyone else concerned that the Redskins overpaid yesterday for a safety with coverage problems (Aucheletta) when they obviously could have kept Clark for far less $$$.

Someone on the Redskins' coaching staff must have had some concerns with Clark's skills.

Snyder is more worried about big name shock value.

And please don't tell me you are holding Snyder as a better evaulation of talent than Colbert and Cowher? Think about this for moment?

I love what I hear about Clark. He is textbook Steeler secondary guy.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM

Legit question. I'm sure the Steelers have watched the film and know the strengths/weaknesses of this guy. Considering how badly we were repeatedly exposed in our secondary just a few years ago, there's little chance that the Steelers would leave themselves open to making the same mistakes again. And, by all accounts, this kid is a film buff, so he's probably highly coachable...

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Snyder is more worried about big name shock value.

And please don't tell me you are holding Snyder as a better evaulation of talent than Colbert and Cowher? Think about this for moment?

I love what I hear about Clark. He is textbook Steeler secondary guy.

Mike Wilbon, who still does have a day job as a sports columnist for The Washington Post and is no Snyder lackey, is convinced the difference is Snyder is still signing the checks and still overpaying for who is brought in but no longer calling the shots on player selection. The game may have passed Gibbs by but I believe Gregg Williams is a pretty good defensive coach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/13/AR2006031301923.html

In addition, Len Pasquerelli of espn.com did not have Clark listed among the top 50 FAs.

In a lot of ways I believe this reflects not so much on Clark's value as it does on somebody in the Steelers organization not believing Chris Hope has a skill set that will be real difficult (or expensive) to replace - we shall see.

The Steelers never really made an effort to keep ARE or Hope, which is fine with me if they are banking $$$ for the Troy and Ben negotiations in the next several offseasons.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Mike Wilbon, who still does have a day job as a sports columnist for The Washington Post and is no Snyder lackey, is convinced the difference is Snyder is still signing the checks and still overpaying for who is brought in but no longer calling the shots on player selection. The game may have passed Gibbs by but I believe Gregg Williams is a pretty good defensive coach.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/13/AR2006031301923.html

In addition, Len Pasquerelli of espn.com did not have Clark listed among the top 50 FAs.

In a lot of ways I believe this reflects not so much on Clark's value as it does on somebody in the Steelers organization not believing Chris Hope has a skill set that will be real difficult (or expensive) to replace - we shall see.

The Steelers never really made an effort to keep ARE or Hope, which is fine with me if they are banking $$$ for the Troy and Ben negotiations in the next several offseasons.

But Pasquerelli IS ESPN when it comes to these things, and he's been wrong before. Most recently by overvaluling ARE.

This is the way Parcells did things, which he taught to Belichick, which the Steelers have picked up on. Lose big money FA's and replace them with talented players who fit the system and have the right attitude. Hell, have we even lost Chris Hope yet? The Steelers are getting good at this.

A great example is James Farrior.

Steelhorse
03-14-2006, 08:07 PM
This is a good pick for us - I'm pretty sure Clark had an interception when they played Philly last season that gave Washington the game - he will look good in Black and Gold!!

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Personally, I thought Hope was a solid FS at best. The guy never stood out and as I already stated his tackling ability concerned me. While I wanted to see us sign him since I did not have much faith in Carter stepping in and taking Hope's place, I'm content with this signing. He's young and he played solid in a pretty good Skin defense.

Worst case scenario.........Clark equals Hope. Best case scenario, he picks off more balls and tackles better than Hope. Eitherway we win since I would have to believe the cost of Clark is less if not equal to Hope. While my opinions remain to be seen, I'm happy with this transaction and I believe it was a smart move on the Steelers front.

BlackNGold203
03-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I think Hope is getting screwed by his agent...

I bet the Steelers offerred Hope the same deal they just got Clark for...and his agent convinced him he could get more...I dont think he can....

His agent probably convinced him he could take the rooneys for more $$...BUZZ...wrong

I thought that Hope was a must sign...but I do trust the Steelers decisions...and I like what Im reading about Clark

R2sojr
03-14-2006, 08:59 PM
i might be wrong....but isnt this the guy that spit in pittmans face from the bucs.....even if it is i watched this guy alot and he play fast smart and physical...just like a steeler...but the spitting wasnt to smart...:tt: :tt:

Petesburgh66
03-14-2006, 09:01 PM
You must be thinking of that thug Sean Taylor

Koopa
03-14-2006, 09:01 PM
i might be wrong....but isnt this the guy that spit in pittmans face from the bucs.....even if it is i watched this guy alot and he play fast smart and physical...just like a steeler...but the spitting wasnt to smart...:tt: :tt:

naw that was sean taylor from DA U

Petesburgh66
03-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Clark's deal is worth $7 million over 4 years and it includes a signing bonus of $1.7 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2368849

Man_Of_Steel
03-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Clark sounds like a guy that really wants to be here, He said he went with his gut and decided to sign. If he's excited to be here, I'm excited to have him. He sounds like a player. Check out the article from steelers.com: http://news.steelers.com/article/63226/

Petesburgh66
03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Food for thought

Sports Ticker

3/14/2006 7:30:03 PM

PITTSBURGH (Ticker) - The Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers added depth to their defensive secondary Tuesday, signing safety Ryan Clark to a four-year deal.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

A four-year veteran, Clark recorded 59 tackles and three interceptions in 13 games with the Washington Redskins last season. He figures to play a reserve role with the Steelers behind starting safeties Troy Polamalu and Chris Hope.

Clark, 26, has 161 tackles in 50 career games with Washington and the New York Giants.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp?ID=158589

Hope isn't out of the picture yet.

SteelerMurf
03-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Food for thought

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp?ID=158589

Hope isn't out of the picture yet.

Hope is not on the Steelers roster anymore and this Canadian source is saying he will back Hope up.

Steelers just struck gold with a quality starting safety for rock bottom price. Use the money we saved on Hope to give to Ike for long term

Koopa
03-14-2006, 11:12 PM
on of the redskins fan on another site gave me this link, carter is number 25 so look for him http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ot6_SobLg&search=Redskins%20defense%202005

BlitzburghRockCity
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Dont let this signing fool anyone into thinking Hope will not be brought back if we can swing. Chris is a starter and played awesome last year. he and troy work well together. We needed depth at safety in the worst way with Stuvaints released and Mike Logan often injured even if he does stick around.

This is a very good player for us to have and he seems to fit the mold for us..but make no mistake, I want Chris Hope back in #28 for us again in 2006 !

Haiku_Dirtt
03-14-2006, 11:33 PM

"He has the mentality of the whole team," safeties coach Steve Jackson said. "He does whatever he's asked to do, he never complains about anything. He just goes out there and performs to the best of his ability. He's what you call a football player. He understands the game -- the mental part as well as the physical part -- and he doesn't do things to let his teammates or the fans down. He doesn't showboat. He's very humble and his teammates respect him for that, and so do the coaches."[/QUOTE]

I'd guess that 'Richard' Le Beau had alot to do with his decision. If those quotes are NOT lip service, then wouldn't you think he wants to be a Steeler????

Nice!

WWIIOwheelz
03-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I like what I'm reading. I think he'll fit in Hope's shoes very well.

It's almost unsettling to think about how LITTLE this team is losing, coming off a Championship season.

I didn't say that. Shhhh.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-15-2006, 01:49 AM
on of the redskins fan on another site gave me this link, carter is number 25 so look for him http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ot6_SobLg&search=Redskins%20defense%202005

choke footage Koopa...if anyone wants to know how in the hell the Skins even made it into the playoffs then look no further. Koop's link shows it all. Just a few with Clark but enough to feel like maybe we upgraded.

He seems to be fearless and likes to hit. 'Richard' Le Beau has to be sleeping well.

Now. Skins fan should not be unhappy about ARE but if they think that their offense will be - all of a sudden- lethal or a threat or productive or even just good then...:sofunny:

Rotorhead
03-15-2006, 02:23 AM
If you look at his stats, he has been improving every year, and last year was a very good year for him. As long as he continues that trend and everything we are reading about him is at least partially true (work ethic, film study, solid tackler and improving coverage) there is no reason to think he is not an upgrade to Hope. Fortunately, because he is playing where he is, and knows the game well, seems to be a leader it looks as though he may be just what we need to help with our young corners development. The more I am reading about all this, the better I like him.
I am thinking Hope and agent just bought themselves a lower payday now that we have his position replaced. If he comes back, he will get significantly less than what he could have received if he had signed before this deal.

TasmanianTroy271
03-17-2006, 05:22 PM
I always thought Hope was soft, never liked him even when people would say he was great. I think this'll be a good signing. Hopefully him & Troy will make a great team.

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 05:29 AM
I never thought great either and usually when he got attention by media, it was him and Troy together.. not just Hope. Clark will be fine, we will also have logan back and Stuvants as well as back ups. Not great by any means, but experience and we are not desperate at the position. Hope was way overrated by the media because of our Defense as a whole and of course because of troy. Hope got ran over a fewtimes and wasnt exactly a very good coverage guy.