PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Nervous about our recieving corp?

FanecaFan66
03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm just wondering what everyone's take is on the current situation. We have a possession reciever in Hines, and I guess you could call Ced a deep threat although the jury is still out on that. He had nice yards per catch statistics, but with the loss of ARE and the unknowns of guys like Nate Washington.... do we address a reciever in the draft possibly Moss if he's still around at 32?

i've been concerned about this, considering we're suppose to be building an offense around our star QB, and the weapons at his disposal have some question marks

clevestinks
03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
I would like Quincy Morgan back. Other than that, I`m not real nervous, i think we will draft a big time Wideout

FanecaFan66
03-14-2006, 05:51 PM
i sure hope Quincy comes back. i was just unsure of his status with the injury he sustained in the playoffs. I'll tell you what though, if he does come back this guy needs to be returning more kicks. definately a secret weapon in that depart.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
I would like Quincy Morgan back. Other than that, I`m not real nervous, i think we will draft a big time Wideout

I agree CS. I'm more concerned with what's going on with Keisel. If Cedrick's play in the playoffs is a sign of things to come, that will be great. I also think the Steelers are happy with Nate Washington. Every time I saw the kid come in and a ball was thrown in his direction he managed to make the play.

I would also like to see them resign Quincy Morgan for kick returns and WR duties. It was beautiful watching him catch that TD against his former team this past season. While he tends to drop the ball, I'm hoping he works on that in camp. We will probably draft a WR, depending on who's around when we pick.

Koopa
03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
i'm not real nevrous cause ARE had a better year the year before when he was the number 3 so we ain't losing someone huge. i'm confident wilson can step up in the regular season like he did in the playoffs and do just fine, and i'm sure we'll draft a wide reciever on the first day of the draft

SalukiSteelers
03-14-2006, 05:59 PM
If Ben can continue to improve his passing I don't know that a lack of a big time threat is all that big of a deal. Just look at New England. As long as the receivers the Steelers have don't go Edward Scissorhands whenver the ball is thrown their way, I think it'll be okay. Plus, I'm pretty sure that our guys are gonna continue to pound on the ground and pass just enough to be dangerous. My main concern with the ARE defection is how well Hines throws the ball. Losing the passing of Bettis and ARE seems like a pretty big concern with a team that likes to run gadget plays. Plus, it's not like the Steelers are the example when it comes to high energy passing attacks.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
I'd like then to look at WR at #32...that doesn't make me nervous, per se, but it IS the position I'd like to see them address first, now that C and S seem to be accounted for.

FanecaFan66
03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
I believe Stan just said on Foxsportsnet that the Steelers have resigned Quincy Morgan.

More good news

MNsteelers
03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
I believe Stan just said on Foxsportsnet that the Steelers have resigned Quincy Morgan.

More good news

That's very good. I was just about to write that if they are going to resign those guys, Q had better be signed very soon after them. They really need him. Versatile receiver, a veteran, good kick returner. A good No. 3 option. That will eliminate the need to take a WR very high in the draft. Moss isn't going to fall to 32, but now, what's the point in even taking him? His rookie contract will be up by the time Ward retires, and will likely go somewhere else if he was successful, much like El.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Wasn't everyone asking this same question before this season after Plax left?

We'll be just fine,we don't need ARE.Instead of ARE throwing the pass on trick plays,it'll be Hines Ward.

SteelerMurf
03-14-2006, 08:19 PM
As it stands now, our starting WRs are just about identical to last season. Cedrick is actually a better rout runner and overall better receiver than El.

Steelers will add a WR in the draft and hopefully resign Morgan (If he gets better hands, he could be lethal with his speed, he is a burner)

24seven
03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Ward, Miller,,Wilson,morgan.. please.. I think i'll sleep good tonight......

SteelerMurf
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Ward, Miller,,Wilson,morgan.. please.. I think i'll sleep good tonight......

Not sure if that is sarcasm or not????

You include Morgan, but he is not on the roster right now. But I hope he is soon.

WWIIOwheelz
03-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Hopefully Morgan will land back with us. I certainly hope so.

Cedrick Wilson will be a better receiver than El was, and Ben already loves the visibility his size affords. Let;s face it, Ben likes big receivers, and Heath Miller might as well be the slot back at TE half the time.

We have a lot of weapons next season.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-14-2006, 09:19 PM
YES!!! I am worried. We have Ward, and Miller......they are the only threats that i see.
Yes the others may play well. but there is noone to streatch the field.......

Stlrs4Life
03-14-2006, 09:20 PM
Heared this from another board:

Anyone else hear the Steelers are entertaining giving our 3rd or 4th RD pick to the Lions for WR Mike Williams? I heard something briefly on the radio and didn't elaborate.
Is he worth a 3rd or 4th RD pick?

Koopa
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
YES!!! I am worried. We have Ward, and Miller......they are the only threats that i see.

yeah cause we all know ARE was stretching the field everytime he was out on the field :rolleyes:

WWIIOwheelz
03-14-2006, 09:26 PM

I can't remember which game... Indy maybe? Wilson hauled in 2 TD passes? that's confidence and familiarity from Ben, and he's said a lot of that in response to talk about ARE's departure. I think we'll be fine at wide-out.

My biggest concern by far is the health of Duce for the long haul.

BlackNGold203
03-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Anyone else hear the Steelers are entertaining giving our 3rd or 4th RD pick to the Lions for WR Mike Williams? I heard something briefly on the radio and didn't elaborate.

Maybe a 4th......

drizze99
03-14-2006, 10:30 PM

Williams is an impact WR that has great talent and can stretch the field. We have plenty of pics this year and I for one would pull the trigger on this if I was a GM.

SteelerMurf
03-14-2006, 11:12 PM

Do you think El stretched the field last season? I do not. And if you look at yards per reception....I think Cedrick may be better than El.

I just think (assuming we resign Morgan) our WRs are almost identical to last year and we still have the draft and FA to go.

FanecaFan66
03-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Here's the actual stats on this...

Ced averaged 17.3 yards per catch, bringing in 26 catches for 451 yards in the regular season with 0 tds. compared to El's 15.9 yards per grab with 35 catches for 558 and only 1 TD.

when you look at the stats, they're almost identical because about 10 more catches and wilson picks up the extra 100 yards he's off on and possibly the one TD. But lets remember now those stats come with both guys on the same team, now Ced could draw a double team at times, or Heath may get a bit more attention from defenses without an extra threat having to be defended.

We still need some sort of explosiveness, I think Quincy Morgan can give that to us returning kickoffs, but not so much in the passing game (hopefully i'm wrong). I think taking Moss from Miami in the draft can bring us the El factor returning punts and in the slot for the passing game. Because Colclough (sp) is not our answer for returning the punt

what we lost with ARE was his explosiveness and our ability to run gadget plays.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Looking at our passing game is alot like looking at your kitchen. There is always something to upgrade...but is it functional? No. It's better than just functional.

The margin of error is more suspect in the running game.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2006, 12:34 AM
The draft is even more important as our focus on a big time WR will now be brought to the forefront. As long as we have Hines and a TE like Heath Miller we'll be formidable. But we need players like Nate Washington to step up depth wise and we need a solid 3rd WR either in FA or the draft.

Rotorhead
03-15-2006, 04:21 AM
I think the draft will be all screwed up now that the Saints signed Brees and the Fins signed Culpepper. Those teams will not be drafting QB's as previously and may even trade down which will shake things up quite a bit (Banks has already said as much with his 3rd revised mock draft). Unfortunately I dont see Moss dropping down to us. I think we still need to DE or C for our first pick, the other for our second and hope to get Nantz for our 3rd pick.