PDA

View Full Version : Kick returning: Enter Sanders

mesaSteeler
10-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Kick returning: Enter Sanders
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/october/15/kick-returning-enter-sanders.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Friday October 15, 2010 12:16 AM

Antonio Brown ranks seventh in the NFL in kickoff returns, but on Sunday he won’t drop back against Cleveland.

That’s because Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has decided to make a change. Brown is out and Emmanuel Sanders is in. Both are rookie wide receivers.

“It’s been a great competition between the two,” offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. “Emmanuel has been ahead in the receivers part, but behind in the special teams part. But this is his week.”

Sanders, a third-round draft pick out of SMU, averaged 23.0 yards on two kickoff returns in the season opener.

Brown, a sixth-round pick out of Central Michigan, has returned kickoffs the past three games and had an 89-yard TD return in the Sept. 19 win at Tennessee. He averages 31.3 yards per return. Brown also has one catch for 6 yards.
Advertisement Click Here

But against the Browns, it’s likely that Brown will be one of eight game-day inactives.

Sanders, who hasn’t dressed the past three weeks, said he’s been bothered by an injured thigh muscle.

“In that first game against Atlanta, I was only about 85 percent (healthy),” he said. “I wasn’t myself. But I’m excited about this week. I’m looking forward to being out there 100 percent.” Mike Bires

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-15-2010, 11:53 PM
I personally would not tinker with things that have been working just fine-- don't fix it if it still works. I would like to see Sanders get some touches on the ball, but not at the expense of experimenting with a unit that is already functioning properly.

PhantomJB93
10-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Ive been VERY eager to see Sanders in at WR, but even in preseason when they were both healthy I remember Brown being far more successful at kick returns. I wish we would just make Battle inactive and let em both go out there, these two talents are too good to waste

ricardisimo
10-16-2010, 01:04 AM
I can't get past what seems the obvious question: Why should either one of these two be inactive? Why is Randle El dressing? I'm sure Brown or Sanders can fair catch with the best of them.

MasterOfPuppets
10-16-2010, 02:59 AM
I can't get past what seems the obvious question: Why should either one of these two be inactive? Why is Randle El dressing? I'm sure Brown or Sanders can fair catch with the best of them.
well from what i've read, both of them are still a work in progress as far as knowing assignments and route running. we seen a pick in preseason (denver ?) that was a result of running the wrong route. ... if anyone should give up their uni, as phanton said, it should be battle. the special teams demon has 2 tackles.

SteelKnight
10-16-2010, 03:28 AM
I personally would not tinker with things that have been working just fine-- don't fix it if it still works. I would like to see Sanders get some touches on the ball, but not at the expense of experimenting with a unit that is already functioning properly.

Out KR is mediocre and our PR sucks. Have you seen any Tenn games (other than when we played them)? That kid #83 is really good.

Maybe it is the units fault because there is never any time for anything but a fair catch on punts.

I'm all for giving Sanders a try. As long as he doesn't fumble, he's good.

SteelKnight
10-16-2010, 03:31 AM

ARE has been impressing me with his route running. I've been looking even when he doesn't get the ball. I'd like to see how he does a couple of games with Ben. Trust me...I was the one bashing him the most but he has looked better than I thought. He seems to be getting open. This week should be a good test. I would like someone faster though so if Sanders can step in, great.

ricardisimo
10-16-2010, 04:35 AM
well from what i've read, both of them are still a work in progress as far as knowing assignments and route running. we seen a pick in preseason (denver ?) that was a result of running the wrong route. ... if anyone should give up their uni, as phanton said, it should be battle. the special teams demon has 2 tackles.
Yeah, Battle has to go as well, no doubt. He seems to be not even useless. But we're discussing receivers getting on the field as PRs and/or KRs, and I have to ask why ARE has a return job. He's made a few clutch catches, and I'm grateful, but if he was dressing as a PR and the emergency QB, well I'm hoping both of those rationales are gone now.

MasterOfPuppets
10-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Yeah, Battle has to go as well, no doubt. He seems to be not even useless. But we're discussing receivers getting on the field as PRs and/or KRs, and I have to ask why ARE has a return job. He's made a few clutch catches, and I'm grateful, but if he was dressing as a PR and the emergency QB, well I'm hoping both of those rationales are gone now.
if you remember , there were times when tomlin elected to have memo field punts instead of logan. of course its just speculation , but maybe there's something during practice that makes tomlin a little nervous about the younger guys....:noidea:

BengalDestroyer
10-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Ive been VERY eager to see Sanders in at WR, but even in preseason when they were both healthy I remember Brown being far more successful at kick returns. I wish we would just make Battle inactive and let em both go out there, these two talents are too good to waste

I agree 100%:tt04:

fer522
10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
a few years back a lot of us thought Limas Sweed was gonna be the answer, now we wanna get rid of Randle El, and Battle, and keep the 2 ROOKIES i'd say dont rush things, because i can see a hell of a receiving corps for years to come plus our special teams have being playing well so why change that.

ricardisimo
10-16-2010, 11:51 AM
if you remember , there were times when tomlin elected to have memo field punts instead of logan. of course its just speculation , but maybe there's something during practice that makes tomlin a little nervous about the younger guys....:noidea:
Tomlin absolutely has a boner for the vets, no doubt. It's cool, but frustrating as well. You want to see these guys develop faster.

finesward
10-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Tomlin absolutely has a boner for the vets, no doubt. It's cool, but frustrating as well. You want to see these guys develop faster.

I think as a head coach of this team, with as many vet leaders we have, you have to show the respect to get the team to buy in to your system. That was one of the biggest concerns when Cowher retired. We didn't know how someone from outside of the organization, especially someone so young and unproven would win this team over and handle the talent that bill built. I think he's done an admirable job. Memo, while he is losing a step this year provided some very quality depth for us and did a good job. Very underrated player. How Tomlin handled faneca showed a lot of guts and I think while a lot of players were upset, he set the tone to the rest of the team. Since then he has been a players coach, but not to the point of losing his team like wade phillips who is basically a talking head with no real authority. The rooneys saw something in him that allowed them to put their trust in him to continue on the tradition, while making it his own.

I really like how they kept almost all the rooks this year, I think that alone showed they are trying to push the vets to one more championship.

ZoneBlitzer
10-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Randle El is in because he has seniority.

ricardisimo
10-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Randle El is in because he has seniority.
So then Batch will be starting at QB this week?

ZoneBlitzer
10-17-2010, 02:07 AM
So then Batch will be starting at QB this week?

No, he's got the bad kind of seniority.

SteelKnight
10-17-2010, 05:42 AM

Yeah...me thinks Brown has fumbled punts at practice (just a guess).

Tomlin is going with Randel El for PR again. Boo. We need a PR. It can help a ton with field position.

We need someone fast. Maybe Ike has a hidden return talent we don't know about.:thumbsup: :rofl:

BengalDestroyer
10-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I'm glad Sanders is getting his opportunity, but a couple weeks ago I read Browns back story and became a bigger fan. With all the adversity he dealt with and the success so far, I'd rather see him at least on KR. That's bias I know but... Good luck Sanders - get that slot spot!!

PhantomJB93
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Sanders didnt do much on returns, but he looks great out there with the offense, I really hope Tomlin utilizes him more. I still think it would be best for us to deactivate Battle, use Brown on all returns (ARE proved today why he SHOULDNT be on punt duty) and use Sanders as our 4th receiver (although I think we need to give him a shot as the 3rd)

SH-Rock
10-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Antonio Brown should be the kick returner, while Sanders the No. 4 receiver. Sanders looked pretty good getting catches during crucial times.

Oh and Pats won! or in other words, Baltimore Lost!

StillerzFreak
10-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Sanders didnt do much on returns, but he looks great out there with the offense, I really hope Tomlin utilizes him more. I still think it would be best for us to deactivate Battle, use Brown on all returns (ARE proved today why he SHOULDNT be on punt duty) and use Sanders as our 4th receiver (although I think we need to give him a shot as the 3rd)

I completely agree, why do we waste an active spot for Battle? Has he even made a special teams tackle this year? Sanders needs to be playing 3rd/4th receiver and Brown should handle all returns and receiver in certain situations.

:tt04:

Fire Arians
10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Antonio Brown should be the kick returner, while Sanders the No. 4 receiver. Sanders looked pretty good getting catches during crucial times.

Oh and Pats won! or in other words, Baltimore Lost!

the only time i ever root for the pats is when they play the ravens lol