PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Brett Keisel

Petesburgh66
03-14-2006, 06:45 PM
http://post-gazette.com/pg/06073/670171.stm

Good news.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
whew. good thing that didnt take long. does suck with the article kissing c. hope goodbye. this spells good for polamalu and ben (and i bet willie and i. taylor) for extensions.

damn. the steelers dont negotiate or f--- around. they put an offer up there and say take it or leave it. in some cases (plex, el) they dont even waste their time with putting one together.

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Yup, that was fast...

In the end, this was the obvious choice. Keep the young stud with a bright future and let the seasoned vet finish his career with a fat payday and contract he likely will never fulfill.

FanecaFan66
03-14-2006, 06:52 PM
EXCELLENT!

Corban
03-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Great news!!! Keep it coming :bouncy:

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Yup, that was fast...

In the end, this was the obvious choice. Keep the young stud with a bright future and let the seasoned vet finish his career with a fat payday and contract he likely will never fulfill.

keisel has worked hard, studied the system for years, and earned the right to start. kimos been called the weaker link of the d line for a few years anyways, even though he always held his own and became a true steeler. keisel should be a moderate upgrade though.

BB2W
03-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Good news!!! :alcohol:

Ambridge
03-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear it.

I was starting to think the Steelers were dragging their feet getting him resigned.

BlacknGold Bleeder
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest kimos been called the weaker link of the d line for a few years anyways, even though he always held his own and became a true steeler. keisel should be a moderate upgrade though.[/QUOTE]

Have you been watching the same Kimo I was?? He was a stalwart d lineman! Sorry to disagree but I have never heard him mentioned as a weaker link. That said I am really happy to hear they signed Keisel, as to it being an upgrade only time will tell.
So what about Clark don't know much about him? He's got a big shoes to fill in Hope's case.

DIESELMAN
03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Good news!!!

OX1947
03-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Have you been watching the same Kimo I was?? He was a stalwart d lineman! Sorry to disagree but I have never heard him mentioned as a weaker link. That said I am really happy to hear they signed Keisel, as to it being an upgrade only time will tell.
So what about Clark don't know much about him? He's got a big shoes to fill in Hope's case.

For those who think Kimo is a weak link, go watch the super bowl and see how Kimo was manhandling Walter Jones on a few occasions. Also, this season was Kimo's best season. He hasnt lost a damn thing which is amazing for a guy in his 14th year. We did not lose Kimo because of ability, we lost him because we couldnt afford to pay him 3 mil a year. I think Kimo's services in pitt was A+, he has a championship and god bless him in New York because he was the epitome of what a Steeler and a football player is all about....

MichiSteeler
03-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Great! I think he'll be very productive on our line.

Atlanta Dan
03-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Smart moves all the way around - Steelers sign the future starter in Keisel - Kimo gets a well deserved farewell payday - Jets get a lineman to replace John Abraham.

Chris Hope was a solid contributor but as Tony noted above, if you do not settle up with the Steelers prior to your FA year then you are gone.

My main concern with the Clark signing is that since the Redskins overpaid yesterday for a FA safety (Aucheletta) with coverage problems why did they not want to spend on Clark?
I have no clue as to what Clark's strengths and weaknesses are; Pasquerelli of espn.com did not list Clark in the top 50 FAs (Hope was #19)

Sounds like the Steelers FA season is about over (lose ARE, Hope & Kimo, re-sign Keisel, replace Hope with Clark)

tim686
03-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Hate to see Chris and Kimo go but got to go for younger blood

SteelerMurf
03-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Kimo was a strength no doubt. But we would never have signed him for that money, never.

83-Steelers-43
03-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Good news, to be expected and most importantly.....very smart in opinion.

tony hipchest
03-14-2006, 08:44 PM
So what about Clark don't know much about him? He's got a big shoes to fill in Hope's case. i think kimo is great and the epitome of a true steeler. i never understood people calling him a "weak link" but the weakest link of the 3 dl is a little more understandable. i hate to see him go, but teams are looking at keisel as the next potential "m. vravel" to leave the steelers and blow up elsewhere. its a good and fiscally responsible move to make. but i will miss kimo.

Stlrs4Life
03-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Here's the story:
Steelers sign Brett Keisel and free agent Redskins' safety

Also talking to Browns' tight end

Tuesday, March 14, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers said hello to Brett Keisel and Ryan Clark and goodbye to Kimo von Oelhoffen and Chris Hope this evening.

The Steelers have signed Keisel and Clark, both defensive players, to four-year contracts, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Keisel, 27, a backup defensive end, was signed at virtually the same time that the New York Jets were signing von Oelhoffen, 35, a Steelers' starter at that position since 2000, to a three-year contract.

Then the Steelers turned to Clark, a Washington Redskins free agent, to fill their opening at free safety. They had tried to re-sign Hope, who started at the position the past two seasons, but he balked at their offer and is looking elsewhere.

Clark (5-11, 200), had 57 tackles and three interceptions in 13 games as Washington's starting strong safety last season. He played his first two season with the Giants and the past two with the Redskins.

Keisel will become the Steelers' starting right defensive end next season and Clark will start at free safety.

No money terms were immediately available for Keisel and Clark, but the Jets gave von Oelhoffen a $3.2 million signing bonus as part of his three-year, $9.2 million deal.

"It's a little bittersweet for Kimo vecause he loved it in Pittsburgh," said agent Mark Bartelstein. "He loved playing for coach Cowher and the Rooneys. This was just a great opportunity that opened up and he couldn't pass it up. He had nothing but good memories there and he appreciated everything the Steeelers have done for him and his relationship there."

The Steelers also entertained tight end Aaron Shea of the Cleveland Browns today.
It could be a sign that they expect to lose No. 2 tight end Jerame Tuman as an unrestricted free agents.

Tuman has reportedly spurned offers from the Steelers

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...073/670171.stm

Aaron Shea? I don't want him?! Tuman, don't want him either? How can he balk at any of our offers? Who does he think will sign him?

Bye Kimo, it was great, and the best of Luck to you in NY. Class act.

Glad that Kiesel signed!

Chris you were good, but not that good.

BlackNGold203
03-14-2006, 10:08 PM
This is what the Steelers do....develop players...lock them up...and when that contract comes up again...they wont overpay..they'll let them go, and bring up the new blood.

It's worked forever..it still works

Prosdo
03-14-2006, 10:26 PM
This is awesome news!

Haiku_Dirtt
03-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Kiesel is SOLID!!!! F-yeah! 99 will be making plays for us.

Ryan Clark. His numbers don't quite match up with Hope but Ryan Clark didn't play under 'Richard' Le Beau. So at face value it seems like there is very little drop off. He played on a quality LSU defense in college. Hope made a huge mistake but now that he is going...f..k him. He's now the enemy.

Good for Kimo. He has traveled a road that few will ever. His numbers got better and better. He grew up on Molokai where there is no football -or nearly anything else but paradise. And, if you haven't been there, then trust me it is truly extraordinary what he has accomplished. Take the money because it is the last chance for Kimo and his family.

Yessss. 99 stays!

BlitzburghRockCity
03-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Brett is gonna be a beast for years to come, this is awesome news !! DL was one of the spots I was worried about if Kimo didnt come back. Now we'll just need some extra depth since ole #67 decided to go elsewhere ..he's been a stud for us for a long time..and besides, who else is gonna sew the players jerseys on game day now :laughing:

WyomingCowgirlBarbie
03-15-2006, 02:16 AM
yippy ki yea!

Rotorhead
03-15-2006, 04:00 AM
I was certainly hoping Kimo would retire a Steeler, but good for him in getting a good payday. He got his ring and his money. Thank god we signed Keisel, he was in position to take over for Kimo anyway, now he gets his! I was starting to get worried a couple weeks ago, I was thinking we would lose Keisel and Hope with little in return, but both positions seem to be doing fine now. If our running game stays on track and we pick up a decent receiver (please get Nantz!) to compliment Ward we will be picking up #6!!

clevestinks
03-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Keisel The Diesel awesome

MichiSteeler
03-16-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm really excited to see what Keisel will do for us as a starter, I think he'll bring a lot of energy and great plays to the defense! Our D-line is beastly:cool: