PDA

View Full Version : I want THIS guy

siss
03-14-2006, 09:13 PM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/martin_nance.html
He's perfect. He played with Big Ben so they will won't have to get to know each other. He's big and tall and I want him (to play for the Steelers)!
What do you guys think?

BB2W
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
He ran slow at the combine... 4.55 and 4.63 to be exact. I was interested in him when he first said he wants to play for the Steelers, but I'm turned off by his 40 time. Here is a link to another thread where we discussed Nance...

link: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5666&page=2

siss
03-14-2006, 09:28 PM
I saw that too, but oh well. He can get better.
and Steve Young Jerry Rice connection (come on tell me this hasnt crossed your mind) for Big Ben would be really cool. Its not like we even have to pay him a whole lot, he could just prove him self with us. and then we pay him.

SteelerDan43
03-14-2006, 09:48 PM
40 times are an iffy indicator, do you know what the results of his quickness drills were?

Haiku_Dirtt
03-15-2006, 02:20 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/martin_nance.html
He's perfect. He played with Big Ben so they will won't have to get to know each other. He's big and tall and I want him (to play for the Steelers)!
What do you guys think?

The price is right. But he would be a walk-on or a late - very very late - round draft.

Is this only motivated by his football skills? Hey. WHat do I know?

pucho58
03-15-2006, 06:29 AM
I'll give a chance you never know he could be a game breaker.

Dook
03-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Sinorice Moss is a known speedster, ran a 4.40, and likely would be taken before Nance if available at the 32nd pick.

Really the only thing going for Martin Nance is that he played with Ben in college. Hank Baskett is about the same size 6' 3'' and 220 lbs has size and the same speed, 4.55, but he is a high jump champion.

I wouldn't be dissappointed with either of the three though.

siss
03-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Yep. I agree.

Dook
03-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Sure, everybody is fast in the NFL.

I wonder why no one caught Willie P. on that touchdown run in the super bowl?

Have you ever tried to tackle someone from three feet away? Three feet might as well be three light years.

And you talk as if Nance has all of these special moves that Sinorice Moss does not have. I guess that's why Nance is ranked 7th and Moss only 4th.

Speed does not mean success but it sure helps and we already have enough possession receivers.

Rotorhead
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
The main thing he has going for him is the familiarity he will have with Ben. Him being tall is nice. I think we should give him a try if he is available later in the draft, after we pick up a Center and DE for depth.

drizze99
03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm on the Nance bandwagon. I have always been and will continue to push for him. I think he would be a great pick at #64.

siss
03-15-2006, 10:09 AM
And then he can play with a chip on shoulder to try and make the 63 other teams that didnt take wish they had.
We retain the underdog role even as champions! I'll take it!

OX1947
03-15-2006, 12:02 PM
The guy catches TD's. When a reciever catches TD's, he has much value. Plus he has a history with Big Ben, I see no reason not to draft him if he is available in the 2nd or hopefully in the 3rd....

OX1947
03-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Nobody would have caught Willie on that run even if they ran the 40 in 2.5 seconds. He made people miss, and all of a sudden anyone within 10 yards of him had fallen on their butts, was the key factor there.

Speed alone does not make a player a big-play threat or a "possession" guy. It gives you a slight advantage, but I'd put it about 15th on any list of things that would separare a good receiver from an excellent one.

And I honestly don't know whether Nance has all the moves and skills to make him a great receiver. I haven't seen much of the guy. I'm just saying you shouldn't discount him based on speed alone. Maybe it turns out he doesn't have any special moves and can't get himself open. In which case we should forget about him. I'd just look for other things besides speed in a WR.

Trufant had the angle on Parker on that run and he still couldnt get him. Willie is the fastest running since Bo Jackson. The only running back I have ever seen that had a long career, talent and lighnting speed, was Tony Doresett..

Dook
03-15-2006, 02:39 PM
There are many variables in any player, heart is probably one of the biggest and most difficult to assess.

I'm not saying that Martin Nance wouldn't be a good choice but we already have hands (Ward), size (Morgan, Washington) so a true speedster is something we could use to keep the defensive secondaries back on their heels.

Also the scouts rate Moss higher than Nance so I've got to go with them.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
The biggest difference between playing receiver in College and the NFL is the ability to gain seperation. That's why I sold out on Nance. I think he has the ability to seperate from the excellent talent he'll face across from him in the NFL. It's not just size (Steve Smith can do it), and it's not just speed (Anquan Boldin was clocked at 4.7 in his 40 at the combine), it's just something WR's either have or they don't.

Nance proved to me he could seperate when he caught 9 passes for 106 yards against Ohio State last year. Some guys don't have it...he does.

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 07:19 PM
This is what cracks me up about 40-yard dash times. You run a 4.40, you're fast. You run a 4.55, and you're struggling.

But think about how this works on the football field. If you're a tenth of a second faster than a defensive back in the 40, it means you'll be a whole two or three feet ahead of him on a 40-yard bomb if you were both running full-tilt straight down the field. That's nothing. Defensive backs have no problem tackling you or knocking down the ball when you're less than a yard away. One decent move will get you much more wide open.

The ability to make moves, find holes, and most importantly, catch the ball and hold on to it when it doesn't hit you right in the numbers, is what makes a good receiver. Everybody's fast in the NFL; you're not just going to run past the cornerbacks, and they're not going to be able to cover you just because they're fast either.

If the 40 time was that important, James Jett would hold every receiving record, and Jerry Rice wouldn't have ever made it on an NFL roster. In his prime, Rice ran a 4.6 in the 40, for chrissakes. I haven't seen much of Nance, but if his moves and hands are there, I say go for him. His "slow" speed only works in our favor, since people won't use a high pick on him.

that 2-3 feet is everything. that is the difference of being a good offense and a great offense. it is why so much emphasis is put on the 40 times for offensive players or defenders. its all about the match -ups when plays are drawn up, the ones where 2-3 feet of seperation is created are the ones that win every time, especially in the downfield passing game.

i keep hearing s. moss but has the steelers ever drafted someone from the U? i cant think of any, let alone any position players.

BB2W
03-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Speed alone does not make a player a big-play threat or a "possession" guy. It gives you a slight advantage, but I'd put it about 15th on any list of things that would separare a good receiver from an excellent one.
That's a ridiculous statement!... you gotta tell me the first 14 things that are more important to a wide receiver than speed. Some receivers have done well with what is not considered a fast 40 time, but it sure helps.

Alot of people put too much stock in the 40 times, but I think it is important in this case. I want to them to find a player to play in the X spot opposite Ward. That is the position that runs most of the deep routes. The ability to get off the line, accelerate, and find that extra gear down the feild is very helpfull.

chumley
03-16-2006, 06:41 PM
There's more to life than 40 times..