PDA

View Full Version : Inability to Play Well on Defense Late in Games Concernin

3rdandlong
10-17-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm sorry Steelers fans, I know we won today, but I just can't be happy when Colt McCoy throws for almost 300 yards. The last couple of Browns' drives McCoy marched them down the field like a veteran. This is starting to look like the defense that collapsed late in games last year. We're just not getting a good pass rush, too. If you ask me, this defense is a bit overrated because of their inability to play consistent through 4 quarters.

HAWK
10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
They gave up one TD and one FG.

lionslicer
10-17-2010, 06:38 PM

He's right though, the defense doesn't games very well. 6 of the 7 lost games last year prove that.

Though the Steelers were leading by so much, they could let up all those yards and a touchdown in the 4th quarter, so I'm not too worried about it.

HAWK
10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Only time will tell. Hopefully we can chalk it up to having the lead.

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2010, 06:41 PM
The defense went very soft after we went up 21-3 with 5 minutes left. Not because of inability, but because they just stopped going all-out and we stopped going deep into the playbook.

MasterOfPuppets
10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
The defense went very soft after we went up 21-3 with 5 minutes left. Not because of inability, but because they just stopped going all-out and we stopped going deep into the playbook.
yep....80 of those 280 yards came in there last 2 drives after the game was well in hand and the steelers were in their soft / prevent D...BUT the prevent is supposed to not give up big plays ,

Fire Arians
10-17-2010, 07:11 PM
21-3 lead, the game was already out of reach. they were playing to give up the underneath and run out the clock

lionslicer
10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
yep....80 of those 280 yards came in there last 2 drives after the game was well in hand and the steelers were in their soft / prevent D...BUT the prevent is supposed to not give up big plays ,

True, but they picked on McFadden, he is probably responsible for like 70 of those yards.
And prevent defenses are terrible if the other team throws towards the sideline about 15-30 yards down the field and if the team throws short passes to tightends and running backs who can get a good amount of YAC yards.

SteelCityMom
10-17-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm not going to complain about it. They did what they are supposed to do and kept the offense to 10 points. Yes, they let up a garbage TD, but you can't compare that to the late game meltdowns they were having last year when the game was on the line. Most every team that has a 17 point lead late in the 4th will let up a garbage TD. Just the way it is. They did it in '08 too sometimes so, I'm not reading that much into it now when they have big leads.

One thing that kind of does tick me off though is the fact that this board was filled with Steelers fans after the loss to the Ravens who couldn't wait to complain about this and that...and today, after a huge win (and Ben's first game back), it's pretty much dead. It's like some people are just happier complaining (not necessarily directed at you OP). I just don't get it.

Shreveport Steeler
10-17-2010, 07:30 PM
When you constantly rush 3 or 4 guys every time, it's hard to get any pressure on the QB. It doesn't matter who the QB is, if he has all day to throw he WILL find somebody open. I think this defense will be fine. They do a great job of stopping the run and forcing teams to pass. I expect our linebackers to rack up some sacks this year. Our D is good enough to win us a super bowl. :tt:

BengalDestroyer
10-17-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't think it's the inability to hold teams in the fourth quarter as it is getting the lead and resting players like Troy, and giving some other guys some game time. I know it was a fourth quarter win for Baltimore, but I blame the call on defense there... Anyway, I think we're all right.

SmashmouthFootball
10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't think it's the inability to hold teams in the fourth quarter as it is getting the lead and resting players like Troy, and giving some other guys some game time. I know it was a fourth quarter win for Baltimore, but I blame the call on defense there... Anyway, I think we're all right.

Also, the Baltimore game was aided by awful offense that couldn't keep possession of the ball or get any field position switches. Can't blame the D completely for that one.

Steel_Bus_24
10-17-2010, 08:00 PM
When you constantly rush 3 or 4 guys every time, it's hard to get any pressure on the QB. It doesn't matter who the QB is, if he has all day to throw he WILL find somebody open. I think this defense will be fine. They do a great job of stopping the run and forcing teams to pass. I expect our linebackers to rack up some sacks this year. Our D is good enough to win us a super bowl. :tt:

actually we were quite good at getting to the qb with 4 in 08......and I think its a big reason why the D isn't as good

jjpro11
10-17-2010, 08:04 PM
the thing is we didn't give up that kind of yardage in 2008 when we were up.. they had one game where they gave up more than 300 yards in the regular season. i don't know why it is happening so much this season.

tmacsteelerfan
10-17-2010, 08:48 PM
It's the prevent that we switch to that does it. We did the same thing in the Titan game when they came back at the end, and Tampa Bay when the got their touchdown.

ETL
10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
This is a whiny post. The defense gives up 10 points and you are worried about yards?!?!

If this was a league where stats determine the winner then you can complain but if I was a defensive player and we were up 21-3 with 5 to play, I would not risk injury by going all out. In fact, It would be a scandal if Troy or Harrison got injured because they were going at 110% during this time.

The loss to the ravens is totally different than these garbage yards.

scsteeler
10-17-2010, 10:25 PM
They Key is to win. I'm not worried about yards after the game is basically over. So what if they gave up big yards when the game was well in hand. If they were down by 3 yes I would be concerned but the only thing those yards do is inflate stats for the losing team.

fer522
10-17-2010, 10:57 PM
not worried at all game was already out of reach

Fire Arians
10-17-2010, 10:59 PM
They Key is to win. I'm not worried about yards after the game is basically over. So what if they gave up big yards when the game was well in hand. If they were down by 3 yes I would be concerned but the only thing those yards do is inflate stats for the losing team.

what i was saying. at 21-3 the game was over at that point.

The Lakelander
10-17-2010, 11:22 PM
How do you react after you've just busted a load? :chuckle:

On a more serious note ...

The real reason for the 4th Quarter collapses on defense is a phenomenon called Parasympathetic Backlash ... it is a time when the adrenaline rush has been thoroughly spent ...

LeBeau needs to find a method for preserving the vigor for his unit to play a full 60 minutes ... because our defense is only lasting 50 minutes.

SteelCityMom
10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Cowboys, Panther and Chargers are all in the top 5 of pass defense (with SD being first)...hate to break it to those who are down on our Pass D right now, but I'm happy we have a better record than all those teams...even if it means we let up some garbage yards at the end of games.

ZoneBlitzer
10-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry Steelers fans, I know we won today, but I just can't be happy when Colt McCoy throws for almost 300 yards. The last couple of Browns' drives McCoy marched them down the field like a veteran. This is starting to look like the defense that collapsed late in games last year. We're just not getting a good pass rush, too. If you ask me, this defense is a bit overrated because of their inability to play consistent through 4 quarters.

Yup. That's a fair and accurate assessment I'd say. Earlier in the year, I was excited. Then, I started to see some familiar weaknesses show up.

The lack of a base pass rush is very concerning. The D has traditionally relied on confusion and overloads to get to put pressure on the QB.

The thing is though, is that eventually offenses figure it out and peck away at the soft 15 yard park-your-Hummer- here coverages.

It's a defense that decides what to give you. It bends a little too much for my liking and I can see it being a problem against a more formidable opponent.

Ultimately, it truly is a team game and what the defense needs is an offense that can chew the clock and put up points. If the Steelers can continue to do that and truly have all phases going, they then have a good enough team to make some post-season noise. Yes, the same can be said for any team but my point is in this is that I don't see this as the type of shutdown D just yet. I am just not convinced even though the pundits say I should be.

StainlessStill
10-18-2010, 12:36 AM
The Steelers will occasionally give up the yardage. Could they play better? Absolutely, but it seems like we are still banged up on the defensive line. Kiesel hasn't been healthy, along with Hoke, and I think I saw Eason go down, as well a play or two. Our defense is very tough, they can't be beat if the offense manages the clock the way they can and with the big play ability of Ben, we will get better but teams, esp the Pats, will take that dink and dunk all day.

fer522
10-18-2010, 12:55 PM
The real reason for the 4th Quarter collapses on defense is a phenomenon called Parasympathetic Backlash ... it is a time when the adrenaline rush has been thoroughly spent ...

LeBeau needs to find a method for preserving the vigor for his unit to play a full 60 minutes ... because our defense is only lasting 50 minutes

Bring Ines Zains out on the sidelines to interview the deffense in the 4th Quarter wearing only a terrible towel, that'll get their blood pumping.:applaudit:
:tt03:

Fire Arians
10-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Bring Ines Zains out on the sidelines to interview the deffense in the 4th Quarter wearing only a terrible towel, that'll get their blood pumping.:applaudit:
:tt03:

bad idea, we will all then be wondering why ben is running to the locker room without any apparent injuries :chuckle:

theplatypus
10-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Our defense is giving up less than 12 points a game and you're concerned?

LVSteelersfan
10-18-2010, 10:30 PM
OMG, we have yet another so called fan complaining about 5 sacks, 2 INTs and a defensive fumble recovery. What the heck do you people want? That was a dominant performance by the defense and they pulled back at the end to run the clock. Quit being so dense and worrying about everything. Did it ever occur to you that they are holding back for when they hit the meat part of the schedule and they have to stop Drew Brees and Tom Brady instead of showing all their cards against the Cleveland Clowns?

steeltheone
10-18-2010, 10:30 PM
The overall age of the defense makes this a concern. Keisel, Hoke Eason and Smith are going to be more prone to injuries.....Lets hope not all at once!

zulater
10-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Our defense is giving up less than 12 points a game and you're concerned?

Yeah but it's those damn tack on points that threaten the spread that piss us off most. :chuckle:

zulater
10-18-2010, 11:10 PM

Yeah and Ben gave 'em the fg. :popcorn:

fer522
10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Yeah but it's those damn tack on points that threaten the spread that piss us off most.:chuckle:

ditto :tt03:

steelerchad
10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Not too concerned at this point. This D has given up 60 points all year. The 2nd lowest D in the NFL is Minny at 88 points. That's a pretty wide margin from 1st to 2nd. Everyone else is in the 90's or over 100 points.
When you consider Tennessee scored 8 points with :58 seconds left, Tampa scored a late TD for 7 points with 1:54 left, and Cleveland scored 7 points with 4:09 left all against prevent defenses, I think our D is doing pretty well. That's 22 of the 60 points against our prevent D in games that were over. We even had starters pulled in Tampa. I remember Troy making a pick standing on the sidelines.
This just isn't an issue at this point. Now, one more instance like the Baltimore game where it costs us a win, then we can worry.

rich4eagle
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM

good assessment..........I put this squarely on Tomlin going back three years with his attitude of playing not to lose in crunch time. And he has lost more games than won druing that time. The Steelers have lost many games that were close going end game than they won which were close.

Personally, I feel that he has been an awful end game coach his whole career. he needs to fix this and the Steeler media and fans

need to make sure that they understand that playing prevent defense prevents you from winning and that is what he does:tt03:

JEFF4i
10-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Falcons, Titans for the most part, and Bucs are all examples of how we played strong D.

Titans since, I honestly think, they just figured the clock was going to run out, not a viable chance at 2 touchdowns with 2-2 point conversions.