PDA

View Full Version : patriots want townsend and haynes

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 12:45 PM
and who can blame them. townsend could easilly become a starter there and haynes might even be an unforseen upgrade over the aging dillon. either way these moves would provide significant depth that they desperately needed last season. steelers need to resign these guys for our own depth, instead of continuing the trend of the patriots plucking players from our roster. problem is they may be worth more to the patriots as regular players than to us as back ups (verron is a solid 3rd down back and with jerome gone and duces durability a question makes verron even more valuable).

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Both are of equal value in my opinion. I'm not sure if I'm ready to see McFadden or Coke jump in and take the spot opposite of Ike. I would like to see Townsend stick around for another year or two.

Haynes is important for reasons that you already stated.

MNsteelers
03-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Belichick loves letting Cowher work with players, then sign them later on (Chad Scott, Josh Miller, Chad Brown....that DB from Pitt whose name escapes me right now...they were going after El, too.

melroseplace
03-15-2006, 01:33 PM
I definitely want both these guys back...I guess we'll see what Rooney thinks tho

drizze99
03-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Vrabel is the biggest Steeler FA that Belichick took advantage of. Remember, the Patriots also gave Fu a contract when he was a restricted free agant and the Steelers matched it.

Letting Haynes walk will be very bad!! We need him now more than ever. I like Deshea and would like him to stay, but I did see enough from McFadden to feel comfortable if he were elevated to starter.

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
I like Deshea and would like him to stay, but I did see enough from McFadden to feel comfortable if he were elevated to starter.

im very comfortable with mcfadden as a starter. what im not comfortable with is 1 or 2 injuries in our secondary, or teams spreading them out 5 wide, with 2 of the 4 starters from last year being shown the door. i also dont like the idea of the patriots making an upgrade at the steelers expense.

Haiku_Dirtt
03-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm curious about the source.

What I understand about McFadden is that the physical aspect of his game was there nearly from day one. He was part of a Florida State defense that was perhaps the best in the country - already primed for the big stage. It is the mental part of his game that is/was a struggle.

If they let Deshea go then I would have to assume that 'Richard' and Cowher think he's a starter. I seemed to noticed him over-protecting against the deep pass which left him vulnerable to the short gain. He should hardly be faulted as a rookie for playing the 'better safe than sorry' card.

I like Haynes. He made a handful of situation plays count when they were needed. But that being said he is hardly irreplaceable.

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 02:44 PM

.http://postgazette.com/pg/06074/670388.stm

just says he's due to visit this week.

Atlanta Dan
03-15-2006, 03:34 PM

What I understand about McFadden is that the physical aspect of his game was there nearly from day one. He was part of a Florida State defense that was perhaps the best in the country - already primed for the big stage. It is the mental part of his game that is/was a struggle.

If they let Deshea go then I would have to assume that 'Richard' and Cowher think he's a starter. I seemed to noticed him over-protecting against the deep pass which left him vulnerable to the short gain. He should hardly be faulted as a rookie for playing the 'better safe than sorry' card.

I like Haynes. He made a handful of situation plays count when they were needed. But that being said he is hardly irreplaceable.

Coclough is the one for whom I question being in the game mentally. McFadden blew past Coclough on the depth chart fairly quickly.

I would like Haynes to come back but I believe that money which couldbe used on Haynes was spent already when Duce was brought back. Haynes was on Atlanta sports talk in mid-February (he is ex-UGA) and did not sound pleased Cowher had not had the obligatory "we want you back" talk with him (I understand there were no end of the year player interviews with anyone this year since everyone went to the victory parade and then went home) and that nobody had contacted his agent. Would hate to see Haynes go somewhere else if he will not start there either.

I believe Townsend is gone and will get a better offer somewhere else; Steelers know who they intended to try to re-sign and I believe have already made those signings.

Sharkissle29
03-15-2006, 03:53 PM
patriots always pick up our leftovers

Ambridge
03-15-2006, 05:32 PM
IMO I'm not totally sold on Haynes.
Don't forget that he spent a couple of seasons on the injured reserve list which makes me think he could turn into Duce Jr. at any point.

The running back position will be a cause for concern this next season.

MNsteelers
03-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Coclough is the one for whom I question being in the game mentally. McFadden blew past Coclough on the depth chart fairly quickly.

I would like Haynes to come back but I believe that money which couldbe used on Haynes was spent already when Duce was brought back. Haynes was on Atlanta sports talk in mid-February (he is ex-UGA) and did not sound pleased Cowher had not had the obligatory "we want you back" talk with him (I understand there were no end of the year player interviews with anyone this year since everyone went to the victory parade and then went home) and that nobody had contacted his agent. Would hate to see Haynes go somewhere else if he will not start there either.

I believe Townsend is gone and will get a better offer somewhere else; Steelers know who they intended to try to re-sign and I believe have already made those signings.

Good points. I was under the impression Duce had his contract restructured, though. Either way, I think Haynes is one of those players who doesn't do anything wrong, so people value him to be a bit higher than he is. I don't see why Staley couldn't be a third-down back if needed. It's not as if Haynes is irreplaceable, either. Everyone likes the guy, as they should, but he's not a vital part of this team. If he can get significant money elsewhere, Pittsburgh won't bat an eyelash. If he wants to stay for the right price, sure, keep him around.

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2006, 05:55 PM
The running back position will be a cause for concern this next season.

I agree 100%.

Stlrs4Life
03-15-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd like to keep Haynes, but if Deshea leaves, it really wouldn't bother me.

Mr. Clean
03-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Both are replaceable. At some point, Twonsend is going to have to step aside and either Colcough or McFadden, probably McFadden, will be the starter.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Townsend was bound to be a victim of all the young talent we brought in. Again, refresher on Coke, he's from a small school, just like Ike, so why are the Steelers fans REPEATEDLY unable or unwilling to give him the extra year Ike was afforded to blossom? McFadden played at FSU, so, naturally, he should be, and was, more NFL ready than Coke.

The Haynes situation is a bit more disconcerting. If we lose him, our depth chart looks like this at RB:

Willie Parker
Duce Staley
Mike Jemison
Fred Staton

I'd say we need to sign Veron AND draft a RB in the first few rounds.

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Willie Parker
Duce Staley
Mike Jemison
Fred Staton

I'd say we need to sign Veron AND draft a RB in the first few rounds.

they will definitely carry 4 on the roster (or even 5 if they really wanted) and jemison? and staton? arent it 2 of them. who better than verron to fill atleast one of the potential 2 opennings? grab a bam (without the problems) morris type to groom and back up duce, in the draft, and were good to go

Sharkissle29
03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
i dont see anything in coke....however, mcfadden proved to me this year, that he's rdy to be our next starting corner

Livinginthe past
03-16-2006, 02:44 AM
I can only imagine that the Patriots would want to sign Verron Haynes purely as a tactic to weaken the Steelers running back depth.

In terms of 3rd down production and clutch play Kevin Faulk is light years ahead of this guy.

I would even put Patrick Pass ahead of him on any theoretical Patriots 2006 depth chart.

Townsend might be a nice acquisition if he can stay healthy - the Pats are always looking for depth at DB.

I think the ex-Steelers turning up in Patriots uniforms is due to the value for money is often pretty decent - Ex-Steelers always seem to come relatively cheap.

Ex-Patriots dont.

NM

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Townsend might be a nice acquisition if he can stay healthy - the Pats are always looking for depth at DB.

NM

no. hes always injured. you guys are much better with h. poteat, d. starks, and c. scott as your "depth".

i think the pats want haynes cause when they had 3 injured running backs they looked over at the steelers and saw 2 backs on the sidelines healthier than their top 3. its a nice luxury to have. maybe if they dont carry 4-5 te's on their roster they can make room for another back like haynes. cause we all know he wont beat out heath evans for a job:rolleyes:

Livinginthe past
03-16-2006, 11:33 AM
no. hes always injured. you guys are much better with h. poteat, d. starks, and c. scott as your "depth".

i think the pats want haynes cause when they had 3 injured running backs they looked over at the steelers and saw 2 backs on the sidelines healthier than their top 3. its a nice luxury to have. maybe if they dont carry 4-5 te's on their roster they can make room for another back like haynes. cause we all know he wont beat out heath evans for a job:rolleyes:

How is DeShea Townsend 'always injured'?

Year ------Team---------- Games

1998 Pittsburgh Steelers 12
1999 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2000 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2001 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2002 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 15
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 16

Hank Poteat has made some very nice plays for us over the last couple of years - an excellent tackler.

Verron Haynes would probably beat out Heath Evans as you say - but Heath did a reasonable job for us coming into the situation he did - with an O-Line in chaos.

NM

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 11:47 AM
How is DeShea Townsend 'always injured'?

Year ------Team---------- Games

1998 Pittsburgh Steelers 12
1999 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2000 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2001 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2002 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 15
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 16

NM

oh, so you caught the sarcasm to your "if he can stay healthy" remark? or were you implying that the patriots conditionning predisposes all patriot db's (and o-line, and rb's) to injuries?

believe me.... you dont want deshea. your much better with scott, starks, and poteat.
all deshea has done is help guide his team to a 15-1 season in his 1st year as a starter and followed that year up up by starting in the sb. it would be money wasted on a player just to provide "depth". patriots really should be looking at a quality starter like c. woodson or ty law.

hardwork
03-16-2006, 04:38 PM
i think the pats want haynes cause...........they looked over at the steelers and saw 2 backs on the sidelines healthier than their top 3.

And then promptly kicked your a**.

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 05:16 PM
And then promptly kicked your a**.

ho hum. yes....... and promptly kicked [an a. vinatieri fg] zzzzzzzzzz

oh were they ever so dominant! never before has the nfl ever seen a force :rolleyes:

11-5> 10-6. sd. vs ne? now that was an ass kicking! colts in foxboro = beatdown.
5 t.o. in denver = results of a good ol fashion lashin'. atleast you got your victory over the sb champ steelers!

hardwork
03-16-2006, 05:26 PM
ho hum. yes....... and promptly kicked [an a. vinatieri fg] zzzzzzzzzz

oh were they ever so dominant! never before has the nfl ever seen a force :rolleyes:

11-5> 10-6. sd. vs ne? now that was an ass kicking! colts in foxboro = beatdown.
5 t.o. in denver = results of a good ol fashion lashin'. atleast you got your victory over the sb champ steelers!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ "the sb champ steelers" ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ please, this Steeler team has won one SB. Call me back when you've won 2 of the next three and then we'll talk.

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ "the sb champ steelers" ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ please, this Steeler team has won one SB. Call be back when you've won 2 of the next three and then we'll talk.

sure. what patriots message board do you hang out at? i'll look you up in 08.

5 > 3. steelers = greatest team ever.

so let me get this straight. only when you win 3 is a sb championship recognized? :sofunny: only in a delusional patfans mind.

patriot and red sox fans crack me up; robbed of success for so long, it rotted their brains.

*click*

oh well, i guess i'll try "calling back" later.

hardwork
03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
sure. what patriots message board do you hang out at? i'll look you up in 08.

5 > 3. steelers = greatest team ever.

so let me get this straight. only when you win 3 is a sb championship recognized? :sofunny: only in a delusional patfans mind.

patriot and red sox fans crack me up; robbed of success for so long, it rotted their brains.

*click*

oh well, i guess i'll try "calling back" later.

Oh my, someone besides the Patriots won a SB!

hardwork
03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I shouldn't needle you on the Steeler forum. I'll save it for the BF.

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
I shouldn't needle you on the Steeler forum. I'll save it for the BF.lol. come on, im sure it will find its way to the blast furnace anyways. :cool: but youre right. lets keep this discussion to how badly the patriots covet steelers players.

hardwork
03-16-2006, 06:15 PM
lol. come on, im sure it will find its way to the blast furnace anyways. :cool: but youre right. lets keep this discussion to how badly the patriots covet steelers players.

Think it could have anything to do with the fact that we both use the 3-4?

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Think it could have anything to do with the fact that we both use the 3-4? i dont know, does that help josh miller learn the punting "formations" easier?

hardwork
03-16-2006, 06:37 PM
i dont know, does that help josh miller learn the punting "formations" easier?

I was going to say that now you're just being silly, but that would insinuate a change in status.

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 06:50 PM
I was going to say that now you're just being silly, but that would insinuate a change in status.

i found it funny.