PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland scribe whining about Harrison's hits.

zulater
10-18-2010, 07:02 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/10/terry_plutos_pregame_scribbles_20.html

Be interesting to see if the league agrees or not?

jjpro11
10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
they are all having a hissy fit here.. yet just a couple weeks ago they were glorifying the TJ Ward hit and saying it was just football.... you can't have it both ways Cleveland.

steelerohio
10-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Of course they are... but we'll see whether or not a fine will come down. I hope to see the Steelers appeal this time though...

lionslicer
10-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Ravens fans did this after the AFC championship game

SuzyPeppercorn
10-18-2010, 09:00 AM
I was furious when there was a flag on the play where Harrison crushed the receiver after he caught the ball. It turned out it was a delay of game on the browns for kicking the ball after the play.

On that play, the receiver was not even a receiver anymore. He had already caught the ball and had taken 3-4 steps with the ball before Harrison knocked him out. Although he was bobbling the ball the whole way which is why it wasn't a fumble. At that point he is a ball carrier. There is no rule against leading with your head when tackling a ball carrier is there?

steelerchad
10-18-2010, 09:10 AM
I was furious when there was a flag on the play where Harrison crushed the receiver after he caught the ball. It turned out it was a delay of game on the browns for kicking the ball after the play.

On that play, the receiver was not even a receiver anymore. He had already caught the ball and had taken 3-4 steps with the ball before Harrison knocked him out. Although he was bobbling the ball the whole way which is why it wasn't a fumble. At that point he is a ball carrier. There is no rule against leading with your head when tackling a ball carrier is there?

You are correct about the rule, just not the interpretation. There is no helmet to helmet rule against a runner, but he was still in the act of trying to make a reception so he would definately have been considered a receiver at that point.
I contend that that hit was not intentional helmet to helmet though as Silverback thrust his forearms forward pushing the player back. Yes the helment hit, but how could it not have with that much force coming together. Unless a player lowers the head or spears a defenseless player I don't like the flag being thrown.

StainlessStill
10-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Harrison's hits were perfectly legal. Cribbs lowered his head and Harrison came on backside and simply made a play. Was it helmet to helmet? Yes, but guess what? That's allowed during running plays. Helmet to helmet only rules for defenseless receivers in an area and Quarterback's. Harrison's hits were jaw shattering and BEAUTIFUL as well, hits Jack Lambert and Dick Butkus would enjoy in today's sissy league. Legal hits, just like the one Mendenhall took to the jaw!

Fire Haley
10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
they are all having a hissy fit here.. yet just a couple weeks ago they were glorifying the TJ Ward hit and saying it was just football.... you can't have it both ways Cleveland.

exactly

Browns fans are just whining hyprcrites that are green with envy of the Steelers pounding their pathetic team into the dirt.

You should have seen all the threads during the week from their fans about how they were gonna "take out Hines Ward" and "chop Ben's knees" yada yada yada

they got what they deserved having it shoved back into their gutless faces

jjpro11
10-18-2010, 11:11 AM
all they do is whine and look for sympathy because their franchise is garbage.

SteeleReign
10-18-2010, 12:03 PM
If you watch the replay it appeared to me that Harrison's view of Cribbs was blocked by another Cleveland player. Silverback knew he had a shot on Cribbs and launched himself in the general area where Cribbs would be, but had no idea exactly where on Cribbs' body he would land the hit.

SteelCityMom
10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
cuoFW40FjfU&has

steelerdave1969
10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
This thing of coming in late on plays and hitting someone that is pretty much already down happens in every game over and over. I hate it when I see someone pretty much down on the ground and another player comes in and takes a Cheap Shot on someone. But those 2 hits were not like that from Harrison and I would be, I promise ya, the first one to grumble about it either way. My wife always asks me like why do you get mad when the hit them like that? and I just tell her its a cheap shot, the player is pretty much already down, why take a cheap shot on someone? But then on the goalline or short yardages the Defense is coming in and flying around trying to keep that carrier back as much as they can, so I guess theres not much difference.

Atlanta Dan
10-18-2010, 01:59 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/10/terry_plutos_pregame_scribbles_20.html

Be interesting to see if the league agrees or not?

Certainly appears the league office might agree

NFL might suspend players for hits

The NFL could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits, vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told The Associated Press on Monday....

"There's strong testimonial for looking readily at evaluating discipline, especially in the areas of egregious and elevated dangerous hits," he said in a phone interview. "Going forward there are certain hits that occurred that will be more susceptible to suspension. There are some that could bring suspensions for what are flagrant and egregious situations."

Anderson said the NFL could make changes in its approach immediately, with Commissioner Roger Goodell having the final say. League officials will consult with the union, but he didn't expect any opposition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699517

Hopefully Goodell will announce any new policy before any games are played under which the new enforcement policy may be applied - but since Goodell makes up suspension policies on the fly who knows:noidea:

Fire Arians
10-18-2010, 02:19 PM
^ that would be such bs if harrison gets suspended for playing FOOTBALL. cribbs was trying to make a play on us. harrison won't be allowed to try and make a play for us?

MattsMe
10-18-2010, 02:30 PM
^ that would be such bs if harrison gets suspended for playing FOOTBALL. cribbs was trying to make a play on us. harrison won't be allowed to try and make a play for us?

No. It would be just like Ben. The girl was trying to make a play for him, but he wasn't allowed to make a play for her. :chuckle:

steelerchad
10-18-2010, 03:07 PM
There will be no suspension of James Harrison. The players association would never allow a suspension to be retroactive with a rule being put in after the offense. Even if the rule were in place now, I can't see how you would rule that hit was worthy of a suspension. The other problem is if a guy gets up wobbly or stays on the ground, the suspension penalty will come. But if he takes that same hit and pops right up, no suspension.
This rule will make this game more like soccer and you'll have guys laying on the ground injured or not.
Harris's hits were vicious, not illegal. There is a difference.

Fire Arians
10-18-2010, 03:18 PM
There will be no suspension of James Harrison. The players association would never allow a suspension to be retroactive with a rule being put in after the offense. Even if the rule were in place now, I can't see how you would rule that hit was worthy of a suspension. The other problem is if a guy gets up wobbly or stays on the ground, the suspension penalty will come. But if he takes that same hit and pops right up, no suspension.
This rule will make this game more like soccer and you'll have guys laying on the ground injured or not.
Harris's hits were vicious, not illegal. There is a difference.

agreed. speaking of illegal did you guys see dunta robinson's hit on desean jackson? that made either of harrisons hits look like nothing. both players were out for a few minutes

SteeleReign
10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
agreed. speaking of illegal did you guys see dunta robinson's hit on desean jackson? that made either of harrisons hits look like nothing. both players were out for a few minutes

Or Brandon Merriwether's hit on Todd sHeap? This whole discussion makes me sick. If the league goes down this road you may as well put skirts & rollerskates on these guys. Makes me sick!

MasterOfPuppets
10-18-2010, 03:36 PM
cuoFW40FjfU&has
:toofunny:

BengalDestroyer
10-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Harrison is a nasty beast, I love it!!!!!!

StainlessStill
10-18-2010, 05:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPJ2IOZV1aM&feature=related

jjpro11
10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
it seems like after every Browns game their fans are always complaining because we beat them up too much. it's literally always something. Porter was the most hated Steeler in Cleveland for the first half of the decade.. Harrison came right in and overtook that role without skipping a beat. those guys are like the big bad bullies to the Browns. Browns fans will never admit it, at least not most, but they would absolutely kill to have Porter or Harrison on their team.

what's really funny is the Browns have been in the league for a full decade now and still haven't had a stud defensive player.. every decent defender they have had lasted about a season before fizzling out... Wimbley, Rogers, Davis, etc... all one, done, and gone.

SteelersRMcCollum
10-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm IRATE by this. If it were the other way around, and they took out, say, Hines Ward, they'd be singing the praises of the Cleveland defense and scoffing at possible fines. Now the NFL looks to impose suspensions on hits of this matter - sounds to me like the NFL wants to be a Powder-Puff league.
NFL players sign a contract to play football - assuming all consequences of play. People get injured. It sucks sometimes when it's on your end, but it happens.
BTW - Cincinnati fans are still blaming us for Carson Palmer. Sorry guys, we hurt his leg, not his ability to throw the ball accurately!

Fire Haley
10-18-2010, 06:53 PM
I did see one thread where a Browns fan had the audacity to suggest it was Colt's fault for leading him into that hit with his pass - - they jumped all over that dude! haha

floodcitygirl
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Thought this article may be of interest on the subject. Not that this Cincinnati writer is biased or anything.... :chuckle:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101018/COL03/310180120/Doc-NFL-has-human-missile-crisis

zulater
10-20-2010, 06:45 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/496182-james-harrisons-75000-fine-for-helmet-hit-on-mohammed-massaqoui-not-enough

It is clear in the NFL Rulebook that if a player leads with his helmet in a attempt to tackle and possibly hinder a player, that rule is called and known as "spearing" which is what should have been called on Harrison when he struck Cribbs, but what Harrison did to Massaquoi since he was "defenseless" in my opinion warrants a $100,000 fine and a minimum two-game suspension

What a tool this guy is. :doh: