PDA

View Full Version : the draft the way I see it

steel-EERS
03-15-2006, 04:25 PM
to me the team is filling holes sufficiently leaving enough room to take on a young guy at several positions including DE,WR,S,RB,C,CB,LB. WHen they draft at 32 they will have the flexability to take the best player available, if another top talent slides to us whe'll be in prime position. We have had great success with players sliding to us the last couple years, don't see why we can't luck out again.

SCSteeler4Life
03-15-2006, 05:00 PM
I agree maybe Moss,Carpenter or Mangold.

OX1947
03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I think its gonna come down to who is available at 32 between, Ko Simpson, Darnell Bing and Bobby Carpenter. I am still undecided on who to get. If there was a perfect draft to have two high number 1's, it would have been this one.

MNsteelers
03-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I agree maybe Moss,Carpenter or Mangold.

Too high for Moss (He'll be taken. already have a No. 2 receiver, no point in spending more when last year's No. 2 WR caught 35 passes). Too low for Mangold (never, EVER EVER draft a player higher than his ability projects him to go. Read: Troy Edwards). Carpenter is probably going to be the best player available at 32. I really liked Ko Simpson until we signed Ryan.

I guess it really doesn't matter much. We're going to get a good player, and it's a player who will fill a need.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
LOL on Mangold being "higher than his ability" and all that. Edwards was picked in the first round based upon ONE game in his senior year, when he caught 22 passes against Nebraska. Mangold has a complete resume built up over several years, not one game.

He's as NFL ready as any C ever was.

Nevertheless, the Steelers won't pick him even if he's still there. It's Okobi's spot.

MNsteelers
03-15-2006, 07:56 PM
LOL on Mangold being "higher than his ability" and all that. Edwards was picked in the first round based upon ONE game in his senior year, when he caught 22 passes against Nebraska. Mangold has a complete resume built up over several years, not one game.

He's as NFL ready as any C ever was.

Nevertheless, the Steelers won't pick him even if he's still there. It's Okobi's spot.

Edwards was a wide receiver, Mangold is a center. I'm referring to his position, not his ability. I should have been clearer, but why take a center in the first round when they'll still be a quality one (Greg Eslinger) available in the second, whereas other more impactful positions won't be? They'll deeply regret taking a center (they picked up Hartings as a free agent, if you remember, and Dermontti Dawson was a second round pick) in the first round when other more key players are available.

It's Hartings' spot, anyway. Okobi is there for depth at guard as much as at center. If he was going to take Hartings spot like they thought he was going to, he would have by now.

Suitanim
03-15-2006, 08:19 PM
The Steelers publicly announced that Okobi had the job when Hartings retired. It's Okobi's roster spot.

Hartings was supposed to retire after the 2003 season. He didn't. That's why Okobi is still on the roster, still getting paid, and still waiting in the wings.

83-Steelers-43
03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Until the FA period is over for the Steelers, it's hard for me to make any assumptions of who and what we are going to take in the draft. Specially in the first and second. Would rather wait until everything is settled to start making assumptions.

tony hipchest
03-15-2006, 08:33 PM
people never knew who porter, haggans, hope, foote, townsend, harrison etc. were until they emerged from the wings. the steelers dont reach to replace 1 pro bowler with one potential other. c. hoke has already proven he can step in for c. hampton. that didnt stop the steelers from extending hamptons deal AND give hoke a richer deal to keep him around. (played good in reserve duty this year too)

MNsteelers
03-16-2006, 06:22 PM
The Steelers publicly announced that Okobi had the job when Hartings retired. It's Okobi's roster spot.

Hartings was supposed to retire after the 2003 season. He didn't. That's why Okobi is still on the roster, still getting paid, and still waiting in the wings.

They "publicly" announced that three years ago. Since then, The Vikings "publicly" announced they weren't going to trade Daunte Culpepper right after the Dolphins "publicly" announced they wouldn't give Minnesota more than a third-round pick for him.

My point isn't that he won't play center if Hartings goes down and/or retires, what I'm saying is they aren't giving him the money they are to keep him around until that eventually happens. He is still a Steeler because he plays three positions. It's not because they are waiting for Hartings to retire; that's merely a solid plan for when that happens. In the meantime, he's one guy doing what some have to pay two different guys to do.

Find me one backup center in the league who got a contract extension and doesn't play guard at all. Okobi is still there because he's versatile, NOT to wait around until Hartings' robotic knees finally give way. It makes absolutely no sense at all to keep a guy making starting center money on your roster if he's not playing. He's there to provide depth at RG and LG just as much as C.

FanecaFan66
03-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Moss was previously listed at a 37th pick on some mock drafts. I don't think he's jumped that much, and he'd be a slot reciever not a No. 2.

He should be there at 32

MichiSteeler
03-16-2006, 06:46 PM
I hope we dont take Sinorice Moss... I just dont have a good feeling about him. I'd love either Mangold or Carpenter in the first round and then hopefully Nance in the second round, i really want Nance in black and gold. Then who knows, Humes or Riggs Jr. in the 3rd?

Suitanim
03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
They "publicly" announced that three years ago. Since then, The Vikings "publicly" announced they weren't going to trade Daunte Culpepper right after the Dolphins "publicly" announced they wouldn't give Minnesota more than a third-round pick for him.

My point isn't that he won't play center if Hartings goes down and/or retires, what I'm saying is they aren't giving him the money they are to keep him around until that eventually happens. He is still a Steeler because he plays three positions. It's not because they are waiting for Hartings to retire; that's merely a solid plan for when that happens. In the meantime, he's one guy doing what some have to pay two different guys to do.

Find me one backup center in the league who got a contract extension and doesn't play guard at all. Okobi is still there because he's versatile, NOT to wait around until Hartings' robotic knees finally give way. It makes absolutely no sense at all to keep a guy making starting center money on your roster if he's not playing. He's there to provide depth at RG and LG just as much as C.

They just restructured Okobi and promised him the starting job. Publicly. Again.

Anyway, we can see the draft starting to take shape from the approach the Steelers are taking in FA on these positions:
DE,WR,S,RB,C,CB,LB

DE was shored up for depth by re-inking Bailey.
WR, so far, looks to be a position addressed in the draft.
S is probably still a concern, because we lost two (Logan, Hope) and only signed one (Clark)
RB was partially addressed with Duce restructuring. A lot depends on how the Verron Haynes situation ends up.
C I'm sticking with the Steelers line on this one.
CB Not a need if we keep Townsend. Basically, we stay as we were, and Deshea probably switches roles with either Coke or McFadden.
LB You just know the Steelers will be fishing for LB's wherever and whenever they can. They are the linchpin of the Steelers Blitzburgh 3-4.

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
They just restructured Okobi and promised him the starting job. Publicly. Again.

Anyway, we can see the draft starting to take shape from the approach the Steelers are taking in FA on these positions:
DE,WR,S,RB,C,CB,LB

DE was shored up for depth by re-inking Bailey.
WR, so far, looks to be a position addressed in the draft.
S is probably still a concern, because we lost two (Logan, Hope) and only signed one (Clark)
RB was partially addressed with Duce restructuring. A lot depends on how the Verron Haynes situation ends up.
C I'm sticking with the Steelers line on this one.
CB Not a need if we keep Townsend. Basically, we stay as we were, and Deshea probably switches roles with either Coke or McFadden.
LB You just know the Steelers will be fishing for LB's wherever and whenever they can. They are the linchpin of the Steelers Blitzburgh 3-4.

could someone please sticky this please ^^^^^? :sofunny:

the steelers have 10 picks next year (all of which they probably dont need). they had no problem with dumping their #4 pick last year and always seem to find a gem on undrafted f.a. market (see harrison, washington, parker) i expect them to have a great draft and maybe being aggressive with trading picks and moving up to get the players they covet, addressing the needs suit has previously laid out. like lb you can almost bank on the steelers drafting a rb, neither of which have historically been drafted in the earlier rounds. (bell in the 2nd and zeoroue in the 3rd- oh..and a. jackson 2nd being the highest recently). with many teams switching to the 3-4 and adopting our formula for finding lb's this may be the year we draft the position a little higher than usual. (also i bet an o-lineman they like will drop to them that makes everyone say "who?" when drafted.)

Suitanim
03-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Dom's post about the Steelers watching the others spend like drunken sailors says about the same. But it's no mystery. The Steelers are doing what they do every year.

silver2000svt
03-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Don't leave Manny Lawson off your list...

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Dom's post about the Steelers watching the others spend like drunken sailors says about the same. But it's no mystery. The Steelers are doing what they do every year. much to many fans dismay the steelers never really seem to make a splash on draft day. to illustrate this point look at how often they draft one of the "sexy" players (wr, qb, rb) in the 1st round. i remember ben, t. edwards, and plex in the cowher era. and nothing much sexier in the 80's.

looks like another "boring" draft that will probably look superb in the next 5 years.

Sharkissle29
03-16-2006, 09:31 PM
forget townsend, get taylor signed.

taylor and mcfadden next year, sounds a lot better.

Petesburgh66
03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Steelers are expecting to have 10 picks in the draft. I suspect they will trade some of them to move up in the 1st or 2nd round.