PDA

View Full Version : Future supensions?

SteelKnight
10-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I was watching NFL network and they said in response to Harrison's hits (taking out bot of Cleveland receivers), they may start suspending people and that could start immediately.

They will review.

If they decide, i would assume they would give a warning that ...in the future player will be suspended.

If so, the eyes will be on Harrison who could be facing his 3rd fine in 5 games.

What are your thoughts?

SteelersinCA
10-18-2010, 06:16 PM
The NFL already said the hit on Cribbs was clean. Health and safety of players is a growing concern of the NFL. Hell, insurance for retired players is one of the sticking points in labor negotiations and the more medical data that comes out about concussions, the more it's going to continue to be an issue.

SteelKnight
10-18-2010, 06:26 PM
The NFL already said the hit on Cribbs was clean. Health and safety of players is a growing concern of the NFL. Hell, insurance for retired players is one of the sticking points in labor negotiations and the more medical data that comes out about concussions, the more it's going to continue to be an issue.

I do like what they are doing with concussions. Teams used to put players back in the game...now they have to pass test to even play the following week.

I just know if they go to suspensions Harrison will be suspended his next unusual hit. I think they should leave it to fines this season then discuss it in the off season. Maybe they could limit the suspensions to players who have illegal hits in back to back games (or more than one in the same game).

SteelersinCA
10-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Harrison is going to be a target for his unabashed nature in dealing with the media. He flat out said he intends to hurt. Now I know what he means and he drew a distinction between hurt and injury, but the media will run with it and he will be painted a villain. He just has to accept that with the way he plays and his justification for it.

Fire Haley
10-18-2010, 06:47 PM
just eliminate all the helmets, put little flags around their waists and play fantasy football on the field.

2 hand touch and 102-100 games every week - - some would be happy with that

lionslicer
10-18-2010, 06:55 PM
just turn the NFL into a flag football league

SteelKnight
10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
just eliminate all the helmets, put little flags around their waists and play fantasy football on the field.

2 hand touch and 102-100 games every week - - some would be happy with that

Helment to helmet is dangerous for both players. Dujuan Landry got hurt like that. It was ironic because he brother said what motivates him is he likes to cause pain. (You need their mother for the irony).

I'm mixed on it. There are some evil players purposely trying to injure others. They need to be redirected. I don't believe Harrison is one. Even if he is trying to cause pain, I don't believe he is trying to cause injury.

Fire Haley
10-18-2010, 07:17 PM
LB's are SUPPOSED to hurt people.

stop the pussiefication of football

I loved that Greg Lloyd line

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_R57vNVIRmpg/SonKEqdKMVI/AAAAAAAAADc/YTiVMw8nPW0/s400/Lloyd2.jpg

SoCalFan
10-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Its TOO hard to make adjustments when playing at full speed to avoid ALL helmet to helmet contact.These players sign up to play FOOTBALL! Let em play,one can tell intentional from just playing full speed.

SoCalFan
10-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Also,helmets have came a long way in tech.The helmet Ben wears is the latest and greatest in collision technology,the helmet Ward wears is a old design Riddell.Why dont the league make ALL players wear the best collision helmets available?

lionslicer
10-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Also,helmets have came a long way in tech.The helmet Ben wears is the latest and greatest in collision technology,the helmet Ward wears is a old design Riddell.Why dont the league make ALL players wear the best collision helmets available?

I'm not sure... Players might fight that. For as long as the NFL has been around there has always been a couple players who wear older helmets. Back in the 80's there was a really good reciever who wore a helmet from the 50's-60's with like a 2 bar facemask people said he was crazy

Curtain_of_Steel
10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Goodell is going to impose bubble wrap around anyone who carrys the ball.

Equally Big Ben is under investigation again for looking at a girl in the stands. Goodell deems BB glares as offensive.
Also Goodell announce that Favre is cleared of any wrong doing. Goodell denies only investigating Favre to get the Happy Ending girls phone number.

Atlanta Dan
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Harrison is going to be a target for his unabashed nature in dealing with the media. He flat out said he intends to hurt. Now I know what he means and he drew a distinction between hurt and injury, but the media will run with it and he will be painted a villain. He just has to accept that with the way he plays and his justification for it.

You got that right - great insight:thumbsup:

Steelers' Harrison aims to hurt, not injure, foes
James Harrison OK with dishing pain
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5699976

Steelers' Harrison: I don't care if I hurt players
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/10/18/harrison.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Harrison after head hits: I don't care if I hurt players
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14149970/harrison-after-head-hits-i-dont-care-if-i-hurt-players

We always hear how much respect Goodell has for Dan Rooney - time for Mr. Rooney to walk The Commish through the history of the NFL's appeal and avoid having James Harrison being Goodell's next human sacrifice to placate the chattering classes

SteelersinCA
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
I wonder how much the players really want this changed? It's one thing for Browns to bitch about sour grapes, and maybe I haven't searched enough, but I don't hear any other players complaining about the hits this past weekend. The players union, if it survives, will have a say in suspensions and fines like always.

SteelKnight
10-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I wonder how much the players really want this changed? It's one thing for Browns to bitch about sour grapes, and maybe I haven't searched enough, but I don't hear any other players complaining about the hits this past weekend. The players union, if it survives, will have a say in suspensions and fines like always.

That's true. A suspension means a loss of a paycheck too. For some that might be 3-500 K. Harrison would loose 500K...enough to buy 10 of his friends BMWs or buy someone a house...may want to try to avoid head to head.

The $5-15K doesn't phase players.

ajw
10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
So this week (along with many other weeks) the NFL and the media are reporting there are possible fines, suspensions, etc. for players who are hurting others on "dirty hits." I am starting to get sick of how the NFL is trying to "protect" players. Football is a barbaric game and yes, players are going to get hurt (surprising, I know). Back even ten years ago, these hits were completely legal and they were not even flagged on the field. I do now know why they are trying to turn a previously hard-hitting league into basically flag football. The players know when they sign their contract what they are putting themselves into.

Examples:
James Harrison's hits on Cribbs and Massaquoi. The one on Cribbs, James was just coming across the field trying to put him down. He did not intend to hit helmet on helmet, and again.. NO FLAG. Same with Massaquoi, he was no longer defenseless after four steps.

To show I am not just saying the Steelers shouldn't be fined I will give another example:

The Browns TJ Ward hit Jordan Shipley in the endzone. Ward just tried to throw a hard hit and knock the ball loose, its football.

Dunta Robinson (ATL) hit Deshaun Jackson (PHI) and they both got knocked out. Robinson was not trying to hurt Jackson, again he was trying to make the play and jar the ball loose.

Football is a violent sport, they are trained to hit hard. The head is right by the shoulders, they are trying to hit with shoulders with force, but they are going at such fast speeds that exact precision is near impossible. Three inches off from a shoulder hit is helmet to helmet.

SteelKnight
10-19-2010, 12:03 AM
This just in: They have approved the suspensions starting immediately.

jjpro11
10-19-2010, 12:14 AM
they're ruining the game. plain and simple. they are ****ing up something good because of a knee-jerk reaction. hit a guy too hard and get suspended? give me a ****ing break. you have to give the receiver a chance to catch the ball? **** that. players get paid millions to do their high risk job and they accept it and know the dangers. police officers, firemen, soldiers, etc have jobs 10x more dangerous than football and do it for pennies on the dollar compared to pro football players. wtf is wrong with that picture?

the best
10-19-2010, 12:21 AM
this is a joke. So now you can't hit a person hard to try and dislodge the ball. This takes the D even more out of the game.Just go to 2 hand touch.

SteelKnight
10-19-2010, 12:24 AM
they're ruining the game. plain and simple. they are ****ing up something good because of a knee-jerk reaction. hit a guy too hard and get suspended? give me a ****ing break. you have to give the receiver a chance to catch the ball? **** that. players get paid millions to do their high risk job and they accept it and know the dangers. police officers, firemen, soldiers, etc have jobs 10x more dangerous than football and do it for pennies on the dollar compared to pro football players. wtf is wrong with that picture?

lol

If Harrison gets suspended, I guess Timmons moves to ROLB and Foote steps in.

He WILL be suspended. He had fines last year and had 3 tough hits this year. They will want to make an example out of him. Earlier in this thread somone posted one of his comments about "hurt" that the league will take the wrong way.

I just hope it is not for the playoffs.

wootawnee
10-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Stupid offenses better just quit going across the middle like they do.....Cause that place is the war zone....And all is far in love and war.........Start messing with our life and love......You get war.........

jjpro11
10-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Stupid offenses better just quit going across the middle like they do.....Cause that place is the war zone....And all is far in love and war.........Start messing with our life and love......You get war.........

when you have teams throwing 50 million times a game like they do now, you're going to end up having one or two of those throws leave a receiver vulnerable to a big shot.. it's simply inevitable.

SteelersinCA
10-19-2010, 12:38 AM
You know, I don't mind Deebo getting suspended. I like when the Steelers play pissed off. Keep disrespecting them and watch them collect Lombardi #7.

jjpro11
10-19-2010, 01:20 AM
the NFL's popularity has peaked.. this is the exact point in time its popularity starts to fall. not a crashing fall, but a fall none-the-less. there are too many jackasses in the league office who are falling out of touch with the fans.

-you take into account all these rule changes with the hitting (pussifying) and what is and isn't a catch..

-the expansion of the season to 18 games.. too much of a good thing can be bad.. plus nobody wants to watch a Super Bowl filled with backups and stars playing injured at half speed. yeah, the NFL really gives a shit about players' safety by putting them at risk two more times a season.

-all this labor dispute shit.. no fan wants to hear a bunch of millionaires arguing why they deserve more money.

-the Europe expansion garbage. football is America's sport.. attendance figures are falling all around the leaugue with the exception of the usual storied franchises, yet all Goodell seems concerned with is attracting European fans. i understand the business aspect of it all by gaining new fans, but don't forget your roots and the fans who started it all. right now less and less fans don't feel as if paying for a ticket is worth it to them.

yeah.. i am a little pissed. the NFL is ruining my very favorite sports league right before my eyes and there isn't shit any of us can do because they just don't care.

SteelersinCA
10-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Actually, ratings are up this year.

jjpro11
10-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Actually, ratings are up this year.

ratings are at an all-time high, i know. the popularity of the NFL has peaked imo. this doesn't change the fact that more people than ever don't feel as if going to a game is worth their money. i realize the economy is in a rough state and has a lot to do with this, but the mere fact that the NFL teams continue to raise ticket prices despite this fact shows how the NFL is gravitating away from its fans. what exactly has the NFL done lately to appease its fans any how? all i see is more price gouging; on everything from tickets to apparel to Sunday Ticket. all these stupid new rule changes that nobody wants.. and for the past year all we've been hearing about is the threat of a lockout.

Fire Haley
10-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Goodell should be impeached, fired, whatever....immediately, and his whole staff throw out into the street.

Dungy and Rodney Harrison all the rest of the blowhards shooting off their ****ing mouths are the retards who started this. Fire them all too.

With defense outlawed, bring back the 5 wide and score 12 or 13 TD's every game. That's what they want, a fantasy league with hitting legislated out of football.

SteelKnight
10-19-2010, 02:20 AM
there are too many jackasses in the league office who are falling out of touch with the fans.

I still can't get over the celebration rules. The players and fans should vote. Each TD should have 30 seconds where they can do whatever the F they want.

What are they afraid of? Hurting the other teams feelings?

They say it is for time? What? So it will add 3 minutes to the game?

Part of the strategy for defenders is to hurt the ER early so they are always looking over their shoulder nervous about getting hit. This leads to drops.

Fire Haley
10-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Welcome to the new USFL. The no-hitting league.

So ballcarriers should be suspended when they lower their head into piles and smack helmets too
- OMG! they could hurt a defensive player!

steelerfan29_99
10-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree with you on alot...football is a violent game and meant to be physical...sometimes I wonder of Goodell actually understands that....however...head shots need to be monitored....no one wants to see a guy get seriously injured or god forbid killed on the field..