PDA

View Full Version : 76 Steelers vs 07 Patriots

frankie025
10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I have been having a argument with my friend about who would win in a game, 76 Steelers vs 07 Patriots. Me being a die hard steelers fan said steelers but my friend still thinks tom brady would have a field day. What are the the thoughts on this game?

steelerdave1969
10-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I love our Steelers as much or more than you, and I know that todays atheletes are much Faster and Bigger than they was in the 70's man. I think this game would be very out of hand by half time. Mike Webster at 270 lbs soaking wet would have no chance vs the likes of Wilfork. Stallworth and Swann were burners in their hey days and they just ran 4.7 40 yard dashes . . Come on man ! ! !

Patriots 38
Steelers 10

Sorry, just the Cold Hard Facts . . todays players are worlds ahead of those guys in all phases.

lionslicer
10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Back in the 70's there really wasn't any players as quick as Welker, which is the only person Brady would have to throw to, especially since Blount would take Moss out of the game. Welker would get beat up by Ham and Lambert all day, he probably would start dropping passes because he would be afraid to get hit.

The front 4 would keep the Patriots from getting any running game going, so they would have to be predictable and pass every down and the 76 defense would win the battle.

But the Steelers offense would struggle. The Patriots would make sure to stop the running game, and back then defenses weren't that confusing, they were pretty straight up, but the Patriots zone blitz would terrorize Bradshaw. It would be a low scoring game, no way Brady would have a field day. And the Steelers would outlast then Patriots and probably get a defensive touchdown late in the game to finish it off. (or the patriots get a defensive touchdown)

zulater
10-18-2010, 09:52 PM
The 76 Steelers were a better team than the 07 Patriots. You can't compare teams of different era's in the respect of how they would line up because too many things have changed to get a valid comparison. The only way you can compare them is in relation to their own era. And by that basis the 76 Steelers are a much better team because it took a great Raider team to beat them, whereas the 07 Pats lost to a mediocre ( relatively speaking) Giants team.

LVSteelersfan
10-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Silly argument to get into. There is no way to figure out how this would turn out. Whose rules are they playing by? 76 rules or 07 rules? With 76 rules the Steelers might have a chance. With the pussified 07 rules, the Pats would win in a romp.

sharkweek
10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Modern players are faster, bigger, stronger, the coaching is smarter, and the rules are harder. An average or even poor team in today's NFL would likely obliterate the absolute greatest of teams from that far back.

lionslicer
10-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Silly argument to get into. There is no way to figure out how this would turn out. Whose rules are they playing by? 76 rules or 07 rules? With 76 rules the Steelers might have a chance. With the pussified 07 rules, the Pats would win in a romp.

76 rules would make it harder to pass block and run block.
Modern rules still allows defensive backs to totally destroy recievers at the line. Blount would just shove down Moss, you are allowed to do that but cornerbacks in todays game are not strong at all. But 07 patriots did use a spread set, there would be too much speed on the offense for the Steelers to deal with. They'd be getting beat by 4th and 5th string recievers.

If you argued that if you slowed the patriots down to match the speed of the fastests players in the NFL back then, maybe you could make a better arguement that the Steelers would win. And if 07 patriots had to wear the huge pads players had to wear back then, they wouldn't fair well just because players today are not used to pads being that big.

zulater
10-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Modern players are faster, bigger, stronger, the coaching is smarter, and the rules are harder. An average or even poor team in today's NFL would likely obliterate the absolute greatest of teams from that far back.

You see the thing is maybe if you put everything in a vacuum like that it would be. but my opinion is that the best of any generation would probably be the best of any other generation if you could transplant them into a different era. For example if Joe Greene had been born in 1980 intead of 1948 he would have had the advantages that todays athletes enjoy. He would have benifit of the same weight training, diet's and supplements, and even surgical procedures. So instead of being 270 pounds he'd probably be 300 or so.

steelerjim58
10-18-2010, 11:27 PM
You see the thing is maybe if you put everything in a vacuum like that it would be. but my opinion is that the best of any generation would probably be the best of any other generation if you could transplant them into a different era. For example if Joe Greene had been born in 1980 intead of 1948 he would have had the advantages that todays athletes enjoy. He would have benifit of the same weight training, diet's and supplements, and even surgical procedures. So instead of being 270 pounds he'd probably be 300 or so.

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. Everyone seems to think that these guys are bigger , faster and whatever else because of some great genetic makeup. Now days there are probably some high schools that have as good or better training facilities than some NFL teams had in the 60's and 70's. To me all there is to talk about is football playing ability. There is no comparison as far as pure talent between the patriots of 07 and the Steelers of the 70's.

sharkweek
10-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Except you fail to factor in ever increasing popularity and talent pool size. The NFL and football in general gets more and more competitive as the years go by. There was a time when you could be a walk-on to a professional team, something that is not really possible today and is extremely hard to do and be a standout player for the better college teams.

Joe Greene was awesome for his time but we have to consider he was likely playing against a smaller talent pool and thus while he stood out in the 70s its likely he might be average or worse today, even with today's advantages, the coin flips both ways.

Fact of the matter is that we simply cannot accurately compare teams from different eras.

Ding ding ding ding, we have a winner. Everyone seems to think that these guys are bigger , faster and whatever else because of some great genetic makeup. Now days there are probably some high schools that have as good or better training facilities than some NFL teams had in the 60's and 70's. To me all there is to talk about is football playing ability. There is no comparison as far as pure talent between the patriots of 07 and the Steelers of the 70's.

You're right about the training, but as I just said earlier, that means the talent pool is much larger.

If I invent a new sport with my best friend and we're the only ones that have ever played it, I have a 50/50 chance of being the best player ever in that sport. The more people that learn how to play, the less chance I have at being an elite player.

Elite players from the 60s and 70s might be bumped to average or worse simply because in the 60s and 70s there were less people trying to play football.

BigRick
10-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Bullshit! With the 76 rules Mel Blount and company would had Welker and the rest of the Pats recievers ready to quit by half time. Don't care how many titles they have the Pats and Brady will always suck:helmet:

pittguy578
12-15-2010, 03:41 PM
All depends on which rules they play by.
If they played with the rules in the 70's, then I think the Steelers defense would dominate the Pats. The top receivers would not make it to get open with Mel Blount bumping and running and Brady would be killed by the sacks and rattled easily.
If you played with today's rules, the Pats would win.
That is why it is hard to compare across times.

TRH
12-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I've kicked this around for awhile considering rules, times, training available now and i still have to say the 76 Steelers (although one would never know...).
I would have to think that LB crew and/or Defensive Line would get access to the QB and backfield. Brady rattled in today's games sucks. If they were allowed to hit also, he might not even last the whole game. Who knows? I still think there were modern teams who were really better teams than the 07 Pats anyway.

ZoneBlitzer
12-16-2010, 04:44 PM
This is apples vs. lemon pound cake. It is two different eras of football entirely. The guys in the 70's were tough, mean and regular smokers. You look at the old highlights and one thing stands out. Those guys were killing each other a la "Slap-shot" and they were slow. Today's athlete is a scientific creation and marvel. They have been tuned and honed since they were youngsters. They have been given the best that science and modern medicine can offer. They also have better equipment that they use along with their bodies to launch themselves like missiles into one another. Back then, one would get mauled by an arm covered in padding in tape. It would be like being hit a very firm club.

The one thing that I will say is that the Steelers D had a front 4 who could win the line of scrimmage and that's what you need to go against that offense.

MACH1
12-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Brady doesn't have the balls to face the '76 D. Sissy boy would get killed.

pete74
12-16-2010, 05:05 PM
the pats offensive line wouldnt give up a single sack if they played the 70 steelers. Lambert was 220lbs. he wouldnt have a prayer. the players in the 70's were way smaller and the offensive lines of today wouldnt have a hard time stopping them. joe green was only 265lbs

Fire Arians
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
the 07' steelers would kill the 76' steelers. players nowadays are much bigger and faster than they used to be, it's no contest.

that and if we're playing by today's rules expect a 15 yard penalty to be called on every down against the 76' steelers lol.

silver & black
12-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Bullshit! With the 76 rules Mel Blount and company would had Welker and the rest of the Pats recievers ready to quit by half time. Don't care how many titles they have the Pats and Brady will always suck:helmet:

I tend to agree with this.

I don't care how big, strong or athletic the guys are today, compared to yesterday... they couldn't stay on the field for more than a quarter with the 70's players.

The Steelers and the Raiders of the 70's would destroy these guys that play today.

silver & black
12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
the pats offensive line wouldnt give up a single sack if they played the 70 steelers. Lambert was 220lbs. he wouldnt have a prayer. the players in the 70's were way smaller and the offensive lines of today wouldnt have a hard time stopping them. joe green was only 265lbs

Joe Green may have only been 265 lbs, but his attitude was 500 lbs. These "me" players of today that only care about $$$ couldn't play with the guys of yesterday... they'd eat them for lunch.

BigRick
12-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Ain't nobody ever explained to you this simple fact. It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts! 07 Pats may be big fast dogs, but the 76 Steeler were Pitbulls! :tt03:

BigRick
12-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Except you fail to factor in ever increasing popularity and talent pool size. The NFL and football in general gets more and more competitive as the years go by. There was a time when you could be a walk-on to a professional team, something that is not really possible today and is extremely hard to do and be a standout player for the better college teams.

Joe Greene was awesome for his time but we have to consider he was likely playing against a smaller talent pool and thus while he stood out in the 70s its likely he might be average or worse today, even with today's advantages, the coin flips both ways.

Fact of the matter is that we simply cannot accurately compare teams from different eras.

You're right about the training, but as I just said earlier, that means the talent pool is much larger.

If I invent a new sport with my best friend and we're the only ones that have ever played it, I have a 50/50 chance of being the best player ever in that sport. The more people that learn how to play, the less chance I have at being an elite player.

Elite players from the 60s and 70s might be bumped to average or worse simply because in the 60s and 70s there were less people trying to play football.

Your argument is basically wrong. In 76 there were 28 teams today there are 32. So if anything the talent pool is diluted by the fact that you have 4 more teams to man. Just look around the leauge there are guys playing today that couldn't have made an NFL roster in 76. :helmet:

MACH1
12-17-2010, 12:55 AM

Depends on which set of rules they played by. Ear slaps are great equalizers. :chuckle:

Fire Arians
12-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Ain't nobody ever explained to you this simple fact. It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts! 07 Pats may be big fast dogs, but the 76 Steeler were Pitbulls! :tt03:

sometimes, size isn't everything, but size does help lol.

if james harrison played back in 76 don't you think he'd terrorize that field more than lambert ever has? honestly i think he would. faster, bigger, stronger, and just as nasty. james woulda literally killed people back then

lionslicer
12-18-2010, 03:48 AM
sometimes, size isn't everything, but size does help lol.

if james harrison played back in 76 don't you think he'd terrorize that field more than lambert ever has? honestly i think he would. faster, bigger, stronger, and just as nasty. james woulda literally killed people back then

If there were handicaps on the patriots to make them equal to the 70's NFL, the 76 Steelers would win.

Stlrs4Life
12-18-2010, 12:11 PM
The 76 Steelers were a better team than the 07 Patriots. You can't compare teams of different era's in the respect of how they would line up because too many things have changed to get a valid comparison. The only way you can compare them is in relation to their own era. And by that basis the 76 Steelers are a much better team because it took a great Raider team to beat them, whereas the 07 Pats lost to a mediocre ( relatively speaking) Giants team.

Exactly. Good post.

4xSBChamps
12-18-2010, 12:42 PM
The 76 Steelers were a better team than the 07 Patriots. You can't compare teams of different era's in the respect of how they would line up because too many things have changed to get a valid comparison. The only way you can compare them is in relation to their own era. And by that basis the 76 Steelers are a much better team because it took a great Raider team to beat them, with 1,000 yard rushers Harris & Bleier in street-clothes that day, whereas the 07 Pats lost to a mediocre ( relatively speaking) Giants team.

That Stiller team was just the 2nd to have a pair of thousand-yard rushers (in the days of 14-game seasons, no-less), and relied on them while Bradshaw rehabilitated himself from early-season injuries, yet lost them both a week before the Oakland game to injury:
imagine how-badly the Cheatriots would'vebeen had the played without Marcia and another offensive threat, with only a week to prepare.

Not to take anything away from the Raiders for beating Pittsburgh (twice) that year, as they (and not 'em Stillers) could've easily won 4 Super Bowls in that decade:
if Pittsburgh would've been classified as '#1', and Oakland '1-A' during the 1970's, both teams would've been greatly feared, and although New England has won several Championships the last 10 seasons, I doubt any opponent has 'feared' that franchise the the way Oakland & Pittsburgh were 35 years ago

Steel Peon
12-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I'll take the team that'll have the most Hall of Famers when it's all said and done.......that'll still be the '76 Steelers BTW. All other comparisons aside, the Steelers of the 70s just simply had more playmakers than the 00s Pats. Hell, I'm not even sure the '07 Pats could beat the '08 Steelers, let alone ANY of the 70s teams.

GunnerB
12-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Home teams always have the edge, but this is as clse as you will get to answering the question.

http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/default.asp#top

caseyviator
12-23-2010, 09:47 AM
SOrry BUT BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER WINS IN A LANDSLIDE. I LOVE THE 76 STEEL CURTAIN BUT EVEN THE 07 STEELERS WOULD KILL THESE GUYS 36-3 ATLEAST MAYBE 49 TO ZERO AND MERCY THEM BY JUST STOP TRYIN..
JOE GREEN 265 LBS5.4 40 TIME
CASEY HAMPTON 340LBS 5.2 40 TIME

LYNN SWAN 180LBS 4.7 40 TIME
SATONIO HOLMES 200 LBS 4.3 40 TIME

JACK LAMBERT 220LBS 5.0 40 TIME
JAMES HARRISON 250LBS 4.5 40 TIME

FRANCO HARRIS 220LBS 4.8 40TIME
FAST WILLY 200LBS 4.3 40 TIME

FOOTBALL IS GAME OF INCHES AND ALL THOSE INCHES , LBS, AND TICKS IN THE 40 ADD UP QUICKLY..
UNFORTUNATELY TODAYS PLAYERS ARE FAR BIGGER,BETTER, FASTER.

I HATE IT BUT ITS SOOO DAMM TRUE.

THE ONLY POSITION I THINK CAN BE COMPERABLE , SOME WHAT IS AT QB
BRADSHAW COULD DEFINATELY PLAY KNOW WITH HIS BODY AND SKILLS FROM BACK THEN IF HE HAD THE KNOWLEDGE OF TODAYS GAME AS WELL AS MANY OTHER QBS FROM BACK THEN IMO!!!

KEN STABLER POSSIBLE
FRAN TARKENTON POSSIBLE
JAMES HARRIS FOR SURE
KEN ANDERSON FOR SURE
DAN FOUTES FOR SURE
RODGER STAUBACH FOR SURE
BOB GRIESE FOR SURE
CRAIG MORTON FOR SURE

plenewken
12-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Your argument is basically wrong. In 76 there were 28 teams today there are 32. So if anything the talent pool is diluted by the fact that you have 4 more teams to man. Just look around the leauge there are guys playing today that couldn't have made an NFL roster in 76. :helmet:

The population in 1976 was not what it was in 2007 so there are many more players to pick from now than 35 years ago and the strength, size and speed is also much higher now. Most guys playing in 1976 wouldn't make it to the NFL today.

Kanata-Steeler
12-24-2010, 01:03 AM
as long as you let them play with the '76 RULES, then I say Brady, and Welker would be carted off the field in pine box's, before half-time, -because of JOE freekin GREEN !
Bellicheat would have to be carted off the field, suffering a massive-coronary, just watching his team being torn to shreds. It would take literally years to re-build that Patriot team ever again.
The National Guard would have to be called in, by the 3rd Quarter, just to save the Patriots' lives. -lol
That game would be like throwing puppies in a pen with wild ferrel cats. -we would tear them apart.
:(
Are you kidding me ?
Of course, we would win.
And, Roger Godell would have a field day "fineing" the '76 Steelers' "D", and "O", millions of dollars for creating murder and mayhem. !!!
But becuase the '76 Steelers didn't make even 1/10th of the salaries that these NFL players get paid today, Godell would get squat.