PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Orders NFL Coaches To Call More Timeouts So They Can Show More Ads

Fire Haley
10-19-2010, 01:17 PM
ESPN fixing games now?

Here's your new NFL.

Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher let slip in last night's postgame interviews that TV officials came to him during last night's Monday Night Football game and asked him to use up all his timeouts, so that they could get in more commercial breaks.
Fisher declined, because his team was leading by 20 with under two minutes to go and he was hoping to run out the clock. (He said it was the first time he'd ever heard of that request being made.) But his opposite number, Jaguars coach Jack del Rio, did use his timeouts, extending a game he had no chance of winning.

Because the clock kept stopping, Fisher decided to call a running play on fourth downórather than the traditional kneel-downógiving Chris Johnson a shot at a 35-yard, garbage time touchdown. (You're welcome, fantasy players.)

Fisher did not criticize del Rio for calling the timeouts, but did make it clear that he mostly likely called them because someone from ESPN (or perhaps the NFL) asked him to. It's absolutely outrageous that the NFL would let TV executives influence coaching strategy, no matter how meaningless the game, but it's also no surprise to learn that the networks are allowed to call the shots.

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-orders-nfl-coach-to-call-more-timeouts-so-they-can-show-more-ads-2010-10#ixzz12pUd5oUw

--------------------

Screw you Goodell, have time to call your bookie?

steelerchad
10-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Wow. I'm shocked if this is true. What if someone gets hurt on one of these "extra" plays.
Fisher did the right thing declining IMO.

Fire Haley
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
It's true, Del Rio is a knob.

Seriously, this is why I only watch football with the DVR on. I let the games run for at least 30 minutes ahead so I can fast forward thorugh all the commercials.

can't watch "live" TV anymore

lionslicer
10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
They show a commercial after 3rd down and then come back on 4th, team punts the ball, goes back to comercial. Refs also call uncalled time-outs sometimes for no reason, even if there is no one hurt. And if someone is on the ground, even if they are getting up slowly, there's a commercial, its so stupid, and they want to show more comercials? NO!

Fire Haley
10-19-2010, 01:53 PM
It's not the commercials so much - they do pay for the games, but ESPN producers telling coaches to change the game to suit the advertisers?

Can you say WWE?

lionslicer
10-19-2010, 02:03 PM
It's not the commercials so much - they do pay for the games, but ESPN producers telling coaches to change the game to suit the advertisers?

Can you say WWE?

I'm sure they'll start telling players to fake injuries so they can take an injury timeout

fer522
10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
this is a f****n joke i know they pay a lot of money for the rights to show the games but this is ridiculous

chacha
10-19-2010, 02:14 PM
It's not the commercials so much - they do pay for the games,

WE pay for the games! We shouldn't have to have ANY commercials with what cable charges!

thumper
10-19-2010, 03:14 PM
It's true, Del Rio is a knob.

Seriously, this is why I only watch football with the DVR on. I let the games run for at least 30 minutes ahead so I can fast forward thorugh all the commercials.

can't watch "live" TV anymore

I hear you. It's just too much. Although, I do watch Steeler
games live b/c I am afraid something bad will happen if
I'm not watching real time. Last night's game was awful;
they have finally taken abusing the fans too far with ads -
much too far.

wootawnee
10-20-2010, 01:58 AM
We gotta "take the power back"........

Acerinox
10-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Hang on a second - isn't this what happened in the Browns game, late? Didn't the Stains use up their timeouts on our drive even though they were dead and buried? And didn't that lead us to score on them with Miller's touchdown, because we were annoyed about it?

Spooky. CBS must be tapping up the coaches too!

MACH1
10-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Maybe the nfl should give teams 6 time outs per half now. Godell might go for it since it would make advertising money for the league.

CaliStillersFan
10-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Nothing like making the worst Monday night game of year longer by wasting TO's for the good of the almighty dollar.

This is one of many reasons I'm really hating football these days.

3 plays - commercial
punt the ball - commercial
2 more plays, play under review - commercial
back to the action, player goes down - commercial

God forbid someone scores. Then you get TD/PAT - commercial - kickoff - commercial - back to the game

I'm starting to see why soccer is so popular everywhere else in the world. The action is non-stop, no commercial breaks except for halftime. I could only dream what a football game would be like with no commercials or at least 100 less a game. In the last few years football has gotten almost as boring as baseball.

Steelerfreak58
10-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Fisher will be coming out with a statement saying what he said in his earlier statement was "misconstrued"...

Just so you can see a commercial that you have seen a hundred times before...

Rotorhead
10-20-2010, 09:48 AM
No, Fisher will get fined, then suspended by Goodell, then fired . . . will come out with a book about how corrupt the NFL really is, but before it is completed, the writer and Fishers will be given concrete boots for his final swim in the ocean . . . (sorry watching too much mafia movies lately)