I love the NFL. I am so sad I even watch every pre-season game I
can, albeit, not every minute of them. I not only love watching Steeler
games, but I love all NFL football.

Until this year.

Last night's game was total crap. It wasn't ever even remotely
interesting. The MN-Dallas game was close, but full of flags
and sucky.

I've noticed way too many games are crap this year. So many
penalties. So choppy. Just not good football.

Anyone else noticing this?

OX1947
10-19-2010, 01:48 PM
You can thank that asshat commish. By far one of the worst commissioners I have ever seen. Goodell makes Selig look like Pete Rozelle.

OX1947
10-19-2010, 01:53 PM
And on top of it, I timed a commercial break on Sunday. There was 5 min of commercials before then next play. 5 (bleep) minutes. 9 commercials in one segment.

chacha
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I thought some of the games this weekend were good, a few good close ones, but way too many commercials, the games take forever now. oh and Goodell sucks

thumper
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
And on top of it, I timed a commercial break on Sunday. There was 5 min of commercials before then next play. 5 (bleep) minutes. 9 commercials in one segment.

It's just gotten out of hand, between crap play, flags and too many blaring
commercials. For the first time in my life, watching that garbage last night,
I thought, "Maybe I don't need this crap anymore."

How about the length of time between beginning of games and length
of commercials before the game actually starts?

It's all gotten too F'd up.

ZoneBlitzer
10-19-2010, 08:04 PM
I love the NFL. I am so sad I even watch every pre-season game I
can, albeit, not every minute of them. I not only love watching Steeler
games, but I love all NFL football.

Until this year.

Last night's game was total crap. It wasn't ever even remotely
interesting. The MN-Dallas game was close, but full of flags
and sucky.

I've noticed way too many games are crap this year. So many
penalties. So choppy. Just not good football.

Anyone else noticing this?

I've noticed that offenses seem to be more inept this year that's for sure. The game is supposed to favor the offense but we're seeing a rise in defensive excellence.

And yes, I've noticed the flag parade and horrible officiating as well. The ref who penalized the Cleveland center for kicking the ball out after the Harrison hit should never ref again as should the ref who missed the offensive pass interference by Andre Johnson of the Texans. I thought kicking the ball out was a heads-up play even if it was Cleveland.

And I don't know how in what universe could the official miss Andre blatantly pushing off to get separation in the dying moments of the game. What's worse was that the NFL Network analysts were again completely out to lunch on this and missed the controversy entirely.

Having said that, I think the NFL is a favorite of mine but truth be told, I can only watch the Steelers - I am disinterested by everyone else.

lionslicer
10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I've noticed that offenses seem to be more inept this year that's for sure. The game is supposed to favor the offense but we're seeing a rise in defensive excellence.

And yes, I've noticed the flag parade and horrible officiating as well. The ref who penalized the Cleveland center for kicking the ball out after the Harrison hit should never ref again as should the ref who missed the offensive pass interference by Andre Johnson of the Texans. I thought kicking the ball out was a heads-up play even if it was Cleveland.

And I don't know how in what universe could the official miss Andre blatantly pushing off to get separation in the dying moments of the game. What's worse was that the NFL Network analysts were again completely out to lunch on this and missed the controversy entirely.

Having said that, I think the NFL is a favorite of mine but truth be told, I can only watch the Steelers - I am disinterested by everyone else.

More than like the ref who threw the flag wasn't near the play. Kicking the ball out of bounds when its a fumble is legal as long as its backwards or straight across the field. But the whistle blew a couple seconds before he even went over to kick the ball. The ref in a sense made the right call on paper. But in that situation he should have picked the flag up because obviously the center thought he was kicking a fumble out of bounds

wootawnee
10-20-2010, 01:55 AM
I agree.....Lots of bad teams, lots of bad offensive teams,systems.........

Stu Pidasso
10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I haven't watched a commercial in 4 years (except for the Super Bowl). I *LOVE* my DVR.

thumper
10-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I haven't watched a commercial in 4 years (except for the Super Bowl). I *LOVE* my DVR.

I don't have the NFL ticket (My DirectTV experience sucked.) so I am
forced to watch live games at the bar when Pgh isn't on national TV.
But I am with you: I LOVE my DVR. We use it for most major shows
that have major commercials. Or, if not DVR, I change channels
when commercials are on. It's so bad these days, sometimes every
channel I turn to has a commercial on so I have to go to a movie
channel to avoid them.

It's gotten way out of hand.

But back to the org. point: The NFL product has got bad lately,
all things considered. That Monday night game was horrid. How it
outpulled MLB play offs....I don't know. Although, I guess I do; baseball
sucks.

HAWK
10-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I disagree that the NFL has turned "stinky." There's up years and down years. Deal with it. However, I do agree that the ranzy rules are getting a bit tacky.

jjpro11
10-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I agree.....Lots of bad teams, lots of bad offensive teams,systems.........

actually there's a lot of parity in the NFL this year.. more so than ever actually.

the shit that is stinking up the league this year is that after decades of football being in existence, all of a sudden nobody knows what a catch is (Calvin Johnson rule) and nobody knows what a legal hit is (James Harrison rule). the league is over-analyzing everything and putting out an inconsistent product from week-to-week and game-to-game. it's come to the point where they are scrutinizing every little thing so much so, that even the refs are confused and like i said.. that leads to inconsistency from week-to-week and game-to-game.

thumper
10-20-2010, 03:32 PM
I disagree that the NFL has turned "stinky." There's up years and down years. Deal with it. However, I do agree that the ranzy rules are getting a bit tacky.

If you watched the MNF game, you'd be hard-pressed to say it
wasn't stinky. All games are endless flags, endless commercials,
endless stoppage in play. Now with them telling coaches to call time
out to run more ads......they've gone too far.

ZoneBlitzer
10-20-2010, 08:34 PM
one other thing...the Super Bowl has never been better. That's a testament to true parity now. For years, the Super Bowl was the worst game of the year and that's a fact. Now, we have been blessed with fantastic Super Bowls. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Shea
10-20-2010, 10:26 PM
If football is on then I'll be watching.

I love it, and don't really care about the penalties, commercials etc.

I'm a happy camper when there's a game to watch. Beats anything else you'd find on TV at the same time hands down!

tony hipchest
10-20-2010, 10:31 PM
thats just the dolphins you're smelling...

they smell like fish.

Stu Pidasso
10-21-2010, 01:56 AM
...Or Inez Sainz...