PDA

View Full Version : I am A Franchise Person........A Steeler fan

Lyn
03-16-2006, 01:45 AM
When a player leaves, I think it is just the nature of the beast for us to think of him as "the enemy." The first instinct, especially when it comes to money is the feeling of being betrayed. I know that is the way I feel when one of our players leaves for more money.
We as fans want all our players to stay (insert your team here) Steelers for life, just like they did in the old days. Unfortunately those days are long gone. It's a never ending revolving door league now.
So to keep my blood pressure at a steady stream, I try not too get too deeply involved with the business end of football. No matter who comes or who goes, it is not going to change my love for my Steelers and I am sure i tis not going to change your love for your team, either.

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Personally, I don't hold it against them at all. Randle El got his chance to make more money and he took it. The part that I found funny was that he stated that "money is not everything". I wish him the best unless he's playing against the Steelers.

Kimo Von Oelhoffen was a true leader on this team for the past six years. The guy was nothing but a class act on and off the field. The Jets signed him for three years. My guess, we only wanted him for one more year. He decided to go to a team where his future is set until he retires, while making good money. It's hard to blame the guy.

Chris Hope decided to go to the Titans for more money. At least we aren't hearing it's not about the money. The guy won a Super Bowl and a team is now deciding to overpay him.

We won the Super Bowl. People should expect these type of transactions to occur. It's part of the game. Personally, I'm not about to hold it against these former Steelers. If somebody was flashing the type of cash Daniel Snyder is flashing in El's direction, I would have to believe the majority of people would take that opportunity. I know I would. People can be pissed all they want, but it's the nature of the game.

Lyn
03-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I agree with what you say to a point. When a player like EL, leaves the Steelers and runs his mouth as he did, To blatenly come out and say "They know about putting the right coaches and players together in the right situations." (he is referring to the Deadskins).

I think it is in poor taste to talk against a previous employer (intimating that the Redskins' coaches and players have it more together than the Steelers) and I don't care if you are ARE or Joe 6 Pack, it is not right. I hold no antimosity toward the others who have left because they have kept their mouth shut. How soon we forget.

It is the business in the NFL to leave a team and go somewhere and be overpaid, that is simply a fact. To infer, (call it what you want) that the new team you have gone to is more knowledgeable (especially after the team you left just won the superbowl) is ignorant. The others have not felt the need to run their mouths.

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2006, 08:17 AM
"They know about putting the right coaches and players together in the right situations."

I'm taking this statement with a grain of salt. Personally, I don't think it was a "The Steelers have no idea and the Redskins know everything" type of comment. In my opinion he simply complimented the Redskins coaching staff. I'm not surprised if he's trying to get in good with them by making those remarks.

Overall though, I don't think it was a diss in the Steelers direction at all. He never complained about the coaching staff while he was sporting a black and gold jersey. I don't see why he would start now. Just my two cents.

drizze99
03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Well, I treat them as the enemy now. If you're not wearing Black-n-Gold, then you are the enemy... It's that simple for me.

To bad there aren't more modern day players like Bettis that will accept what the team offers even if it is a below what some other Joe Blow team is offering. That is why I didn't mind spending 300.00 on an authentic Bettis jersey.

I just don't understand it. They make millions playing a game and some complain that they aren't getting paid enough. So you mean to tell me that you'll starve making 5 million/year as opposed to 8 million? Give me a break! You are playing a GAME buddy. Then we as a society ask men and women to be volunteer fire fighters... ugh... don't get me started.

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I will also treat them like the enemy, simply because they are the enemy. It's just hard for me to blame them for leaving.

Lyn
03-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Some people call it confidenc some cal it ego. I personally think it is peer pressure one guy has to get more (money) than the next guy because they are not confident within themselves (like Bettis was)

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2006, 11:19 AM
All I know is, If I had three kids and worked in an enviroment where I could get seriously injured, I would try and find a company/team that would pay me the most. In my opinion, it's more of a security issue than ego.

Lyn
03-16-2006, 12:03 PM
that makes sense I never looked at it that way before.

SteelerzGirl
03-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Players come and players go, and although I hate to see some of the players I love the most go behind enemy lines, I have complete faith in the Rooneys and the way they run the show. They have been in the business for a very, very long time, and they know what they're doing. GO STEELERS! :bouncy:

Suitanim
03-16-2006, 05:39 PM
If I worked for a company that was better than all the others, I'd forego a fatter paycheck to stay there...Hell, I HAVE before.

I lump the guys into three groups.

Group A would include a guy like Ryan Clark. He left to upgrade, meaning he was probably promised a chance to start on a better team than he played for last year, and if a bigger payday is there, all the better.

Kimo belongs to group B. He accomplished all he could ever hope for, and left a team where it wasn't even entirely sure he'd be a starter to cash in for a big payday, maybe have a nice season or two then retire. You could almost say he stepped aside. Don't laugh, look at Barry Sanders...he just stepped aside for basically nothing.

Group C has all the other guys lumped into it. The name on the front of the jersey means nothing, it's all about the name on the back and the Benjamin's. Some of these guys are wprse than others...I mean, I'm not about to say that ARE is anywhere near as big an ******* as TO or Meshawn, but the principle is still the same.