PDA

View Full Version : Harrison: I might quit NFL

SH-Rock
10-20-2010, 06:32 AM
James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.
"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit?module=HP_headlines

Well this is rather shocking

theplatypus
10-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Hopefully a good nights sleep will cool him off a bit.

chacha
10-20-2010, 07:18 AM
He's just pissed, he' not quitting

mikegrimey
10-20-2010, 07:30 AM
This would be a tragedy, I hope some people reach out to him on that defense and convince him to not hang it up.

Hopefully Tomlin talks some sense into him and veterans like Farrior, Polamalu, Taylor let him know how important he is to the defense.

ramblinjim
10-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Do we, as Steelers nation all need to pony up $10 to pay Jimmy Hate's fines for the rest of the year? I think we should all make a bit stink of it and send a message to the commish. :tt03:

MACH1
10-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Not only is godell ruining the nfl he is ruining the players.

toughsticks87
10-20-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293/1096626-100.stm

Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with linebacker James Harrison today and decided to excuse him for the rest of the work day, a team spokesman said this morning.

Harrison said in some radio interviews that he would rather retire than be hamstrung by the kinds of rules that the NFL charged he violated with a hit Sunday on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 on Tuesday for that hit.

"How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?" Harrison said on Sirius XM Radio this morning. "And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game anymore. If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me."

A source had told the Post-Gazette that Harrison called the Steelers Tuesay and told them he would not be coming to work today. However, he did report to their facility on the city's South Side to meet with Tomlin.

The Steelers said Tomlin would be available after practice today to discuss the situation.

For more on the Harrison and the fine, read the blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293/1096626-100.stm#ixzz12ursqH9m

SteelersinCA
10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't know the answer to this, but are players required to talk to the media after games? I know for the SUper Bowl they are but what about regular games?

SacknificentStew56
10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't think he's gonna quit. He's just needs some fish to feed off of and he'll be fine.

Fire Haley
10-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Harrison is not at practice and not attending meetings. He did meet with Tomlin this morning

Didn't Harrison almost quit football a few years ago and go back to truck-driving? He's serious about this.

bigchuck
10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
if james quits then i quit, the nfl has become so bad. no celebrating TDs but its ok for some yo yo to dance around after a 4 yard gain. no hitting above the shoulders, cant hit the QB anywhere but in the chest and even then it might be called. and a damned TV timeout everytime i sit down with a cold beer. i never thought id say it but hockey has moved ahead of football as my go to sport

Atlanta Dan
10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
This is the link to the P-G story on Harrison taking the day off to contemplate current events

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, confirmed that the linebacker is contemplating retirement, which is why he met with Tomlin this morning.

"That's exactly true,'' Parise said. "He met with the coach and left for today. He's in the process of contemplating is it possible to play football under these new rules . . . 'if I go to work and tackle somebody and get a fine.'"

Parise said there is "no fighting, no arguing," just discussions. He said Harrison has been talking with his coaches, the Steelers, his mother and the agent.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293/1096626-66.stm

Some of the defensive players presumably will need to try and talk Silverback off the ledge and impress upon him the need for his presence

Farrior would be my guess, although perhaps Troy, who is stated to be asserting a greater leadership role, can seek to have a moment of zen about this with James

SteelCityMom
10-20-2010, 12:32 PM
if james quits then i quit, the nfl has become so bad. no celebrating TDs but its ok for some yo yo to dance around after a 4 yard gain. no hitting above the shoulders, cant hit the QB anywhere but in the chest and even then it might be called. and a damned TV timeout everytime i sit down with a cold beer. i never thought id say it but hockey has moved ahead of football as my go to sport

Yeah...I always liked hockey a little bit more than football as an overall sport, but Goodell is starting to make Bettman look like a freaking saint as far as handling a sport as a business is concerned. And that's saying a lot because I really despise Bettman.

I don't know how much longer I can watch this league crumble.

stuck_in_VA
10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
With all the new rules about roughing/unneccesary hits and helmet to helmet hits, the NFL is quickly becoming the new NBA - where the slightest touch of the pinky finger warrants a FOUL!

I hope James is not serious about retiring. He and every other defensive player are just going to start taking out dude's legs. And then the league is going to start crying about an increase in ACL injuries, and then you won't be able to hit low either (excluding the rules on QBs).

HAWK
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM
This wouldn't be as bad (and I say that lightly) if there weren't so many stupid rules regarding endzone celebrations, twitter, QBs, etc. One or two rules is one thing.....dozens call for a boycott.

fer522
10-20-2010, 02:32 PM
what i heard this morning(here in Arkansas and they dont talk about the steelers much) is that he is going to retire any truth to that, and if its true that would really suck:banging:.

lionslicer
10-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't know the answer to this, but are players required to talk to the media after games? I know for the SUper Bowl they are but what about regular games?

Usually captains are required to talk to the media.

But about the interview, it sounds like we wont be seeing Harrison next season. I doubt he will retire, he might just go to the CFL or that one semi pro league of football a couple players have gone when they didn't want to retire, but didn't want to return to the NFL.

Fire Haley
10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
Watch out NFL - - - the backlash is coming....bet you won't see the NFL's mouthpeices running this story.

Cribbs defends Harrison's hit - - -“I have no bad will towards LB James Harrison. That's what he's suppose to do knock people out, it's what makes him one of the best,” Cribbs tweeted. I don't believe he intentionally wants to injure anyone, but it is a part of the game.” “He has been hitting people like that as my teammate at Kent State & now as my rival he still hits people like that... He is still my boy.”

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/josh-cribbs-responds-to-harrisons-hit

coffeecup
10-20-2010, 03:07 PM

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b77d1c/article/steelers-lb-harrison-mulling-retirement-after-75k-fine-for-hit?module=HP_headlines

Maybe every Steeler fan should send a "flag" to the Browns organization (maybe black ones and gold ones) so they will have them available for the type of game they want to play when the Steelers come to town.

It was a hard hit, but it was a legal hit - no penalty. Even the veteran pros say, yes, in football there are hard hits and sometime players get injured. I like the one anonymous assistance coach's comment that, "No one sentences you to play pro-football"

Lady Steel
10-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I can't really blame Silverback for being frustrated. I knew he would be fined, but $25,000 more than the others is a slap in the face.
Maybe it's time we call Ambassador Rooney in from Ireland so he can take control of this entire situation. Goodell is a douche, and we all know an ambassador outranks a commissioner, right? :tt:

lionslicer
10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
I can't really blame Silverback for being frustrated. I knew he would be fined, but $25,000 more than the others is a slap in the face.
Maybe it's time we call Ambassador Rooney in from Ireland so he can take control of this entire situation. Goodell is a douche, and we all know an ambassador outranks a commissioner, right? :tt:

Rooney was the person who picked the people who voted for the new commissioner... I think he should take responsibility for his actions and have Batman kidnapp Goodell.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Make no mistake. James Harrison is as serious as they come. If he's contemplating retirement then he's contemplating retirement.

We need Harrison.

Fullback&Punter
10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
If he retires do we get cap space back? Sign Merriman?

If he does retire doesn't anyone think he is being slightly childish? I know I will.

colescott1
10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
you've never come home from a bad day at work, where you feel you did your job well, but your superiors didn't?

you never sang along with the song "Take this job and shove it?"

No... I don't think he's being childish. The NFL is.

Lady Steel
10-20-2010, 03:34 PM
“I’d love for him to retire,” Brady joked. “If he retired, it would make me very happy.”

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/10/20/brady-to-james-harrison-please-retire/

Fullback&Punter
10-20-2010, 03:38 PM
you've never come home from a bad day at work, where you feel you did your job well, but your superiors didn't?

you never sang along with the song "Take this job and shove it?"

No... I don't think he's being childish. The NFL is.

Sure, I've felt that way a lot. But I didn't quit. I'm not saying he's childish for being upset or even wishing he could quit. But if he actually goes through with it then I'd say he is.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM

If he does retire doesn't anyone think he is being slightly childish? I know I will.

Childish? Is James Harrison immature?

James has shown - since the early early days on special teams - that he plays football only one way. THAT CONSISTENCY is indisputable. Period.

If they are taking a part of HIS game away then his prerogative to not play by the new rules should not be reduced to a simple "he is being childish." Workplace changes happen all the time. And people who don't like those changes move on.

It makes me sick to my stomach that with everything going so well for us that an issue of a player doing his job is now a detriment. If Harrison retires then this will be the last DirecTv NFL Sunday Ticket I buy.

SteelCityMom
10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
It's his choice. I sure hope he at least stays for the rest of the season, but why keep doing something that makes you unhappy if you have other options available?

I wouldn't blame him one bit if he decided to leave. This league is going down the crapper real fast. All Goodell is doing is catering to the average fan (the ones who mainly only tune into Sunday/Monday night games and the Playoffs).

Haiku_Dirtt
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
If Harrison needed any motivation to get back in Black & Gold and pin those ears back....

Thanks Tom.

tony hipchest
10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
what a dick.

i cant wait for james to earhole him like he did cribbs.

harrison shouldnt quit or retire. he should deliver brady a devestating blow and get banned for life. :chuckle: (its so much more satisfying)

...or atleast let that game earn him his 1st suspension.

rich4eagle
10-20-2010, 03:55 PM
James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.
"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Well this is rather shocking

Harrison is correct. If an offensive player goes low where is the defensive player to go.......to MAKE SURE IT IS NOT HELMET TO HELMET.....

and anyone who knows football whomever is lower wins the tackiling battle unless you want to be dragged for fhree yards

This stuff has gone ridiculous what the NFL has apparently missed in this edict.....is that it applies to both sides of ball and offensive players going for knees and helmets as well:tt03:

Otherwise just rename

NPLTYM......

national ***** league taking your money:banging::banging::banging::banging:

stb_steeler
10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
What makes this issue so intense and on going is the CRACK POT media. They drag this shit on and on until they feel some one should do something about it. If it weren't for so much media most of the so called bad hits would go unnoticed, or at least a lesser punishment.

Steve_Steelers
10-20-2010, 05:28 PM
What makes this issue so intense and on going is the CRACK POT media. They drag this shit on and on until they feel some one should do something about it. If it weren't for so much media most of the so called bad hits would go unnoticed, or at least a lesser punishment.

Exactly, it's been hyped so much people that haven't even seen the hit have been condemning him as a dirty player...

Need4spd
10-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Yes, I do as well. Personally, I think he kind of sounds like a cry baby spouting off stuff like this.

BengalDestroyer
10-20-2010, 05:42 PM
The only reason this whole 'suspending players for k.o.'s' is because Harrison had two last Sunday. If I were Harrison and played to that intense ability, I would feel the same way.

Players get convicted of crimes, and play the following week. Ben gets accused of a crime, gets suspended for four games.

Every week players get fined around 25K to 50K for 'illegal' hits. Harrison has two, unpenalized, therefore legal hits, gets a 75K fine, and the threat of being suspended in the future. (Not to mention the 'repeat offender' tag, and the medias and leagues sudden 'crackdown'

GOODELL IS THE WORST THING TO EVER HAPPEN TO THE NFL, I HATE THIS MAN, HE IS THE DOWNFALL OF FOOTBALL - HAPPENING IN FRONT OF OUR VERY EYES.

stb_steeler
10-20-2010, 07:57 PM
GOODELL= :jerkit:

brownsfan2003
10-20-2010, 08:27 PM
As a browns fan (and also a true football fan as many of you are...), I can honestly say that Harrison is a beast and it ould be a tragedy for him the exit the league. Although I do love my browns, I also appreciate the talent that players like Harrison bring to the table. That being said, I don't agree with the the new rules that the NFL front office have imposed, but where do we draw the line? I would hate to see any player in the league suffer a career ending injury, or worse, a life-altering/ending injury.....How do you govern the game and at the same time keep the safety of the players as a priority? I for one don't want to see Harrison retire, but let's be honest here, his post-games comments didn't do much to help his case.....

Fire Haley
10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
go **** them Phins up

we'll cover you > signed Worilds

ZoneBlitzer
10-20-2010, 08:31 PM
If they enforced the correct helmets then this may not be an issue.

coffeecup
10-21-2010, 10:30 AM
“I’d love for him to retire,” Brady joked. “If he retired, it would make me very happy.”
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/10/20/brady-to-james-harrison-please-retire/I take Brady meant that as a compliment to Harrison. Meaning: If a good player like Harrison wasn't there it would make Brady's job easier.

This is like Harrison quote "I like to hurt people" taken out of context. He actually said, "I like to hurt people but not injure people". His job is to make they NOT want to get hit by him again or at least think twice if they see him coming.

lionslicer
10-21-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I think Harrison is a genius... Why? 2 years ago he was NFL's defensive player of the year, he also had one of the greatest interception returns during the superbowl. He's a well known player by the media, and he announced he might retire because of the rules forcing him not to play how he was taught on a national radio show. He isn't really considering retiring, he's giving the NFL bad publicity over something they thought was right, which could cause them to not suspend players int he future...

jjpro11
10-21-2010, 02:34 PM
As a browns fan (and also a true football fan as many of you are...), I can honestly say that Harrison is a beast and it ould be a tragedy for him the exit the league. Although I do love my browns, I also appreciate the talent that players like Harrison bring to the table. That being said, I don't agree with the the new rules that the NFL front office have imposed, but where do we draw the line? I would hate to see any player in the league suffer a career ending injury, or worse, a life-altering/ending injury.....How do you govern the game and at the same time keep the safety of the players as a priority? I for one don't want to see Harrison retire, but let's be honest here, his post-games comments didn't do much to help his case.....

a Browns fan with common sense.. how refreshing.

i wish other Browns fans would get it through their thick skulls that Steelers fans are not defending or promoting dirty hits. nobody here would be defending one of our guys if they put a Brandon Merriweather style hit on a Browns player. Harrison's intent was to put his forearm through Massaquoi's chest and knock the ball loose. it's not Harrison's fault Massaquoi ducked down at the last second, causing the forearm-to-head contact. the NFL can't go around penalizing players for accidental hits to the head when the movement of the offensive player causes the contact. it's just not fair. with the speed of the game the way it is, penalizing accidents that happen in a split second is just absurd.