PDA

View Full Version : Timmons is AFC Defensive Player of the Week

SteelCityMom
10-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Lawrence Timmons Is Your Defensive Player of the Week
Posted on October 20, 2010 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/lawrence-timmons-defensive-player-week/

Heres some good news for a Steelers linebacker: Lawrence Timmons was named the AFCs defensive player of the week for his 11 tackle, two sack, one interception performance against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, making him the second Steeler to take home the award this season.

James Harrison, of course, was the other, which probably means that Timmons can expect a $100,000 fine in the coming weeks for being such a dominating machine.

It truly is a breakout season for the 2007 first-round pick. Through five games hes leading the team in tackles (and is fifth in the NFL), tackles for loss, has three sacks, an interception, a forced fumble and two pass defenses.

Hes all over the field, disrupting everything. Basically, hes the Troy Polamalu of the linebacker unit.

Fire Arians
10-20-2010, 05:12 PM
it would have been ironic if harrison won it this week

lionslicer
10-20-2010, 06:47 PM
He's actually 4th in the NFL. He's tied for total tackles with Tulloch, but he has more solo tackles which puts him higher. And he has 3 pass defenses... lol

He has been having a very good year. He only had 78 total tackles last year, he already has 59 this year, and he's so fast that he's actually taking all the tackles to himself. Usually James Farrior is in the top 10 with tackles inthe league while leading the team, he isn't even in the top 50, and only has 19 solo tackles to Timmons 42.
For anyone who doesn't know, Farrior was almost named defensive player of the year twice.

Farrior still a smart player and a dominating run stopper, if the defense can play well for the rest of the year and take the team to the superbowl, I think this group can go down as one of the most dominating linebacking corps.

PhantomJB93
10-20-2010, 07:38 PM
As much as I love Timmons, his recent outstanding play basically solidifies that either Woodley or Harrison (more likely the latter after the events of the past week) won't be on the team much longer. We can't afford to keep 3 elite linebackers (Well we could but we'd have to sacrifice talent at another position with far less depth). :(

Fire Haley
10-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Way to go dude!

I believe.

Merchant
10-20-2010, 09:37 PM
He's actually 4th in the NFL. He's tied for total tackles with Tulloch, but he has more solo tackles which puts him higher. And he has 3 pass defenses... lol

He has been having a very good year. He only had 78 total tackles last year, he already has 59 this year, and he's so fast that he's actually taking all the tackles to himself. Usually James Farrior is in the top 10 with tackles inthe league while leading the team, he isn't even in the top 50, and only has 19 solo tackles to Timmons 42.
For anyone who doesn't know, Farrior was almost named defensive player of the year twice.

Farrior still a smart player and a dominating run stopper, if the defense can play well for the rest of the year and take the team to the superbowl, I think this group can go down as one of the most dominating linebacking corps.

He'd be 1st if it wasn't for the Bye-Week

Curtain_of_Steel
10-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Woodley or Harrison wont be on the team long? Thankfully Batch or Dixon didnt pass for 400 yards, you would have Ben gone too.

Seriously? Timmons in the inside LB, not a line pass rusher. Timmons is speed not brute strenght. Timmons is not going to take Woodley or Harrisons position. What occurs with Harrison and woodley on the field, allows Timmons to prosper even more.

steelerdave1969
10-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Lawrence Timmons Is Your Defensive Player of the Week
Posted on October 20, 2010 by adam
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/10/lawrence-timmons-defensive-player-week/

Heres some good news for a Steelers linebacker: Lawrence Timmons was named the AFCs defensive player of the week for his 11 tackle, two sack, one interception performance against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, making him the second Steeler to take home the award this season.

James Harrison, of course, was the other, which probably means that Timmons can expect a $100,000 fine in the coming weeks for being such a dominating machine.

It truly is a breakout season for the 2007 first-round pick. Through five games hes leading the team in tackles (and is fifth in the NFL), tackles for loss, has three sacks, an interception, a forced fumble and two pass defenses.

Hes all over the field, disrupting everything. Basically, hes the Troy Polamalu of the linebacker unit.

Awesome Points Mom . . He is all over the field just like Troy used to be. It just seems like Troy is not doing that as much this year on a Consistent basis like he usually does. I love Timmons and what he is bringing to our defense. I for one was wondering after last year if he was what Tomlin thought he would be when he drafted him, but the guy is making huge plays now and I am glad that he is in Black n Gold.
:tt04:

steelerdave1969
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Woodley or Harrison wont be on the team long? Thankfully Batch or Dixon didnt pass for 400 yards, you would have Ben gone too.

Seriously? Timmons in the inside LB, not a line pass rusher. Timmons is speed not brute strenght. Timmons is not going to take Woodley or Harrisons position. What occurs with Harrison and woodley on the field, allows Timmons to prosper even more.

In my opinion Curtain, we will see Woodley as our Franchise Player next season. No way the Steelers let him go like that . . . No Way

lionslicer
10-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Harrison could be traded, he takes up a lot of cap space, unless he retires.
Woodley's contract is up this offseason... as well as Troy's and some other key players on both offense and defense. Kicking off Batch and Dixon wont free up cap, because Steelers still need back up quarterbacks, and Leftwich is probably one of the more expensive ones due to his history as a starter.

I doubt Steelers will let Woodley go, and he said he doesn't want a massive deal like Harrison has. Troy, though he says his faith keeps him against ego and greed, he still signed a huge $30 mil contract and there's he could go for a similar deal again this offseason. This means when Timmons time comes to renew his contract, the team might not be able to afford him if he's noticed as an elite linebacker, he'll get better offers from other teams.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-21-2010, 11:41 AM
I cant see Woodley leaving, although I wouldve liked a better effort by the steelers than to just sit back.

Harrison is not going to be traded. Timmons is no doubt a beast, but they all feed off of each other. In different settings some may not be as beastly as they are now. Woodleys stats are down if your a number watcher but this game is more than personal stats. He add value to everyone else.

Lionslicer: I thought Troy was signed through next year?

lionslicer
10-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I cant see Woodley leaving, although I wouldve liked a better effort by the steelers than to just sit back.

Harrison is not going to be traded. Timmons is no doubt a beast, but they all feed off of each other. In different settings some may not be as beastly as they are now. Woodleys stats are down if your a number watcher but this game is more than personal stats. He add value to everyone else.

Lionslicer: I thought Troy was signed through next year?

I'm not sure, Troy's contract apparently isn't out to the public. I've read articles that have been all over the place with his contract, some say he's getting 7 mil a year till 2011, others say he's getting 10 mil a year till this offseason. And I've read others saying his contract was up last year. So I really don't know whats up with it. But either way Woodley will stay, I doubt he'll ask for some insane amount
I didn't say Harrison would be traded, but thats the only way the Steelers could get rid of him without paying out his massive contract.

And don't forget Ben's contract, Steelers had to let go of Marvel Smith and Faneca because Ben was taking up so much cap. Atleast Brady and Manning have taken pay cuts inthe past to keep players, especially the offensive line that helps protect them.

SacknificentStew56
10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
It's good for Timm Dogg to win this award. His production has been increasing every season and he's only gonna get better.

steelerchad
10-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I think who stays and goes depends on whether or not one of the LBer's we drafter this year is ready to step up. If the coaches think they can play with only a little dropoff they will cut one loose to avoid the big payday. I really thought it might be Harrison before the season started, but he's been lights out so far. Just ask Cribbs and Massoquai.

PhantomJB93
10-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Im not stupid, I know Timmons is inside and theyre outside rushers, Im not saying Timmons is taking their place because hes more talented. If we keep a self imposed cap, we simply CANNOT give Woodley a new contract, Timmons the contract he will have earned if he keeps this level of play up, AND Harrison with his current deal...somebody has to go. Not because of talent, because of money.

lionslicer
10-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Im not stupid, I know Timmons is inside and theyre outside rushers, Im not saying Timmons is taking their place because hes more talented. If we keep a self imposed cap, we simply CANNOT give Woodley a new contract, Timmons the contract he will have earned if he keeps this level of play up, AND Harrison with his current deal...somebody has to go. Not because of talent, because of money.

I find both of your arguements funny just because Timmons was an outside linebacker his whole life until he came to the steelers :flap:

But the Steelers systen requires one run stuffing linebacker and one who can go out in coverage, which is Timmons, who Mike Tomlin compared to Derrick Brooks

jjpro11
10-21-2010, 04:08 PM
i don't think Timmons will be going anywhere because he's Tomlin's guy. he was Tomlin's first 1st round pick. he was pumping Timmons up even before he was drafted. i know Woodley was Tomlin's second pick, but Timmons will always be Tomlin's main man and is a Troy Polamalu at LB.

ricardisimo
10-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Troy is signed through 2011 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946532).

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
10-21-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure, Troy's contract apparently isn't out to the public. I've read articles that have been all over the place with his contract, some say he's getting 7 mil a year till 2011, others say he's getting 10 mil a year till this offseason. And I've read others saying his contract was up last year. So I really don't know whats up with it. But either way Woodley will stay, I doubt he'll ask for some insane amount
I didn't say Harrison would be traded, but thats the only way the Steelers could get rid of him without paying out his massive contract.

And don't forget Ben's contract, Steelers had to let go of Marvel Smith and Faneca because Ben was taking up so much cap. Atleast Brady and Manning have taken pay cuts inthe past to keep players, especially the offensive line that helps protect them.

Troy signed a 5 yr., $33 million contract. He got $10.975 million bonus, is making $6.1 million this year, and is signed until 2012.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=PIT

sharkweek
10-23-2010, 09:24 PM
As much as I love Timmons, his recent outstanding play basically solidifies that either Woodley or Harrison (more likely the latter after the events of the past week) won't be on the team much longer. We can't afford to keep 3 elite linebackers (Well we could but we'd have to sacrifice talent at another position with far less depth). :(

Harrison already has his contract, and considering his age and his past inability to fit into teams (including this one) I don't think there's much to worry about with him.

lionslicer
10-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Troy signed a 5 yr., $33 million contract. He got $10.975 million bonus, is making $6.1 million this year, and is signed until 2012.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=PIT

And I could find a similar articile saying the same thing but 4 years lol.
Wikipedia says 4 years
ESPN says 4 years
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946532

And countless other pages. Maybe someone should email Troy and ask.

ricardisimo
10-23-2010, 11:27 PM
And I could find a similar articile saying the same thing but 4 years lol.
Wikipedia says 4 years
ESPN says 4 years
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946532

And countless other pages. Maybe someone should email Troy and ask.
It is four years, through 2011, or until 2012, however your semantic boat floats.

lionslicer
10-23-2010, 11:51 PM
It is four years, through 2011, or until 2012, however your semantic boat floats.

:P Whatever I really don't care anymore, especially since in the offseason people thought his contract was due, so I blame them regardless

#1LambertFan
10-24-2010, 12:54 AM

Not necessarily a bad thing though. Dick Labeau's 3-4 zone blitz scheme emphasizes linebackers linebackers linebackers! Defense is a funny thing no matter the way you play it. One player does not make a defense but one facet of a defense always makes the rest better. A good set of linebackers means that there is more pressure on the QB regardless if they blitz meaning more bad throws, just as a good secondary allows more time for pass rushers to make a play in the backfield.

Anyways linebackers are key to the Steeler' dominant defense, and I would not be suprised if all 3 finish their careers in the Burgh.