PDA

View Full Version : Ike's future and the 22nd pick overall...

MNsteelers
03-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Word out of Washington says the Redskins (surprise, surprise) are interested in signing restricted free agent Ike Taylor. The Steelers gave him a tender offer of $1.55 million, meaning they have the right to match Washington's offer, and if they choose not to, they get Washington's first round pick. This is No. 22 in this year's draft.

I think this puts Pittsburgh into a very interesting position. Obviously, they want Ike around (who wouldn't?), but with the way Washington has been spending money lately, one would be led to believe they are planning on offering him four times as much as the Steelers would pay.

Question is, do we keep Ike at what's going to end up being a higher dollar amount, or do they let him go and take their first-round pick?

(off-shoot question, do they use that pick on a guy like Youboty from OSU, or, perhaps, will LenDale White fall to this spot?)

Koopa
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
well that 22nd pick was traded to the broncos i think last year. so i guess we'd have to wait, and if ike becomes a bitch after all this time the steelers stayed loyal to him and letting him grow i hope he has a career ending injury for being a hoe j/p but i hope he flops and gets bombed on every play where he gets cut and has to play in the afl

83-Steelers-43
03-16-2006, 01:50 PM
IMO, this is a no brainer. Match the offer and keep Ike. Unless we want to watch our secondary get toasted next season.

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 02:08 PM
im sick of rookie cb's so no to youboty. no way he can contribute like ike did last year. 2 #1's could help (if we were rebuilding) but right now replacing starters with rookies will just set us back. would a deal like this help us move up to take lendale white? yes, but would anyone trade their #1 pick and ike taylor for him? probably not.

all i know is we better sign ben and troy polamalu up longterm. i can see snyder drooling over them already.

we have to match (which means we might overpay a bit) we get robbed if we give up ike for #22.

Koopa
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
im sick of rookie cb's so no to youboty. no way he can contribute like ike did last year. 2 #1's could help (if we were rebuilding) but right now replacing starters with rookies will just set us back. would a deal like this help us move up to take lendale white? yes, but would anyone trade their #1 pick and ike taylor for him? probably not.

all i know is we better sign ben and troy polamalu up longterm. i can see snyder drooling over them already.

we have to match (which means we might overpay a bit) we get robbed if we give up ike for #22.

but what do we get? the redskins don't have the number 22nd pick anymore, it belongs to the broncos

Sharkissle29
03-16-2006, 02:37 PM
if the steelers dont sign ike they will be making the biggest mistake of the year.

MichiSteeler
03-16-2006, 03:12 PM
We are in an interesting position... But the Ike/McFadden duo just sounds too sweet to let go. :cool:

JerseySTEEL
03-16-2006, 03:26 PM
It's very unlikely for it to happen. What would happen is the Skins would offer somthing up to the Steelers and trade for him, but offering a sheet on IKE has about 5% of happening.

Suitanim
03-16-2006, 03:32 PM
I'm just about sick to death already of that jackass Snyder...

MNsteelers
03-16-2006, 03:44 PM
It's very unlikely for it to happend. What would happen is the Skins would offer somthing up to the steelers and trade for him, but offering a sheet on IKE has about 5% of happening.

There's not really a point in trading for him. His set value is a first-round pick due to him being a restricted free agent. The Redskins have to give at least that, but the Steelers can't stop them from signing him unless they want to pay him that much money. If not, they get a pick.

And yes, I didn't notice that the Skins don't have a first-rounder this year. I only saw the order on NFL.com, who, for some reason, hasn't updated the draft list. My bad.

So what gives, then? The Steelers are forced to give up a player with NO compensation this year if that goes down?

tony hipchest
03-16-2006, 04:26 PM
but what do we get? the redskins don't have the number 22nd pick anymore, it belongs to the broncosi dont know how that would work. maybe a #1 from the following year? what i dont understand about the restricted free agents is that it seems a little unfair if houston and seattle were both interrested him hypothetically, the difference in compensation is HUGE between the #1 pick and the #31st, even though theyre both 1st rounders. maybe that is the balance the better teams get to outweigh the advantage the poorer teams have in drafting early. looking at it that way and it makes a little more sense i guess.

MNsteelers
03-16-2006, 05:09 PM
i dont know how that would work. maybe a #1 from the following year? what i dont understand about the restricted free agents is that it seems a little unfair if houston and seattle were both interrested him hypothetically, the difference in compensation is HUGE between the #1 pick and the #31st, even though theyre both 1st rounders. maybe that is the balance the better teams get to outweigh the advantage the poorer teams have in drafting early. looking at it that way and it makes a little more sense i guess.

Yeah, I think that might have something to do with it, but ultimately, the purpose of restricted free agency is to give teams a chance to keep the guys they've already developed, and if they can't afford to do it, they get compensated pretty well. Since you don't see it happen all too much, maybe it would be the Skins pick next year, but I don't see why that would be fair. Teams that don't have a first round pick this year shouldn't be able to sign that level of tendered free agents.

JerseySTEEL
03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
There's not really a point in trading for him. His set value is a first-round pick due to him being a restricted free agent. The Redskins have to give at least that, but the Steelers can't stop them from signing him unless they want to pay him that much money. If not, they get a pick.

And yes, I didn't notice that the Skins don't have a first-rounder this year. I only saw the order on NFL.com, who, for some reason, hasn't updated the draft list. My bad.

Do i have to say it slower? We wouldn't want to trade him. Since the Skins don't have a first rounder pick, The only picks they have on day 1 is a 2nd rounder. So that makes them not drafting in the first round for two years in a row, Which many teams won't even think about. Which make's a Sheet offer very unlikely for Ike. The only option that wounld't hurt them is to trade for him which we won't do.:cool:

So what gives, then? The Steelers are forced to give up a player with NO compensation this year if that goes down?

A 07 first rounder. Yes, but theres no chance it will, the reports havent even said "for sure" they say "maybe". So don't over react man.

MNsteelers
03-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Do i have to say it slower? We wouldn't want to trade him. Since the Skins don't have a first rounder pick, The only picks they have on day 1 is a 2nd rounder. So that makes them not drafting in the first round for two years in a row, Which many teams won't even think about. Which make's a Sheet offer very unlikely for Ike. The only option that wounld't hurt them is to trade for him which we won't do.:cool:

A 07 first rounder. Yes, but theres no chance it will, the reports havent even said "for sure" they say "maybe". So don't over react man.

Is this not a place for discussion? A forum to bring in new ideas, not just rehash what we already know? Obviously, there's no guarantee that it will or won't happen, but let's be honest, the Redskins have spent more than any other team thus far in free agency. Why stop now? In my opinion, where there's smoke, there's fire. I personally don't enjoy hearing everyone's take on things AFTER they happen, I'd like to read some stuff on what people who think outside the box think MIGHT happen. So don't tell me I'm overreacting by bringing up a story in the news for people to brainstorm possibilities.

Outside of that, I have NO CLUE what the F you're talking about. You brought up the whole trade idea (and I quote: "It's very unlikely for it to happen. What would happen is the Skins would offer somthing up to the Steelers and trade for him, but offering a sheet on IKE has about 5% of happening.")

I'm not trying to be a grammar cop, but in that third-grade level rambling, you brought up the idea of a trade. That's what I was referring to when I said a trade wouldn't happen.

Good look up "restricted free agency" and maybe this will make more sense to you. A trade has nothing to do with anything here.

Busforever
03-16-2006, 05:41 PM
We let Hope mature -> gone
We let Randle El mature -> gone
And now we should let Taylor go? No question! Steelers are not a college team! And why not Polamalu next time? Draft picks are good if you can materialize them with future starters. If you let them go when they become good players, that just makes no sense. With Taylor, McFadden and Colclough, we have enough young DB's. We don't need drafting another one! I know we could draft at another position, but at one point we will have to full the roster, and we are not really agressive in FA...

JerseySTEEL
03-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Is this not a place for discussion? A forum to bring in new ideas, not just rehash what we already know? Obviously, there's no guarantee that it will or won't happen, but let's be honest, the Redskins have spent more than any other team thus far in free agency. Why stop now? In my opinion, where there's smoke, there's fire. I personally don't enjoy hearing everyone's take on things AFTER they happen, I'd like to read some stuff on what people who think outside the box think MIGHT happen. So don't tell me I'm overreacting by bringing up a story in the news for people to brainstorm possibilities.

Outside of that, I have NO CLUE what the F you're talking about. You brought up the whole trade idea (and I quote: "It's very unlikely for it to happen. What would happen is the Skins would offer somthing up to the Steelers and trade for him, but offering a sheet on IKE has about 5% of happening.")

I'm not trying to be a grammar cop, but in that third-grade level rambling, you brought up the idea of a trade. That's what I was referring to when I said a trade wouldn't happen.

Good look up "restricted free agency" and maybe this will make more sense to you. A trade has nothing to do with anything here.

Nice, u do know name calling just shows how dumb you are. I can't believe my idea is above your head lol. Wow man u are slow this is why i left this forum my idea makes perfect sense to just about 10 other forums and then to u it doesn't make any, wow your slow.

clevestinks
03-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I Like Ike!!!!

chumley
03-16-2006, 06:40 PM
gotta keep Ike!

gonna be one of the best CB's in the league

Rotorhead
03-17-2006, 07:59 AM
I guess the question noboby has really answered yet, can the Skins even make an offer with no 1st rounder to give up?

83-Steelers-43
03-17-2006, 08:05 AM
I guess the question noboby has really answered yet, can the Skins even make an offer with no 1st rounder to give up?

Also, how much more money do the Skins have in order to spend on Ike? That team has been blowing a chunk of change the last few days. Also, I have yet to see a link or read any article with proof that the Skins have a known interest in Ike.

melroseplace
03-17-2006, 08:37 AM
if they were serious about Ike, they should've offered El a few less million, IMO. Ike would've been money more well-spent. not that El isn't a good player, but I don't think he's worth the kind of money they put up for him

MNsteelers
03-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Nice, u do know name calling just shows how dumb you are. I can't believe my idea is above your head lol. Wow man u are slow this is why i left this forum my idea makes perfect sense to just about 10 other forums and then to u it doesn't make any, wow your slow.

Not sure what name I called you here...or even what idea you presented. Perhaps if you wrote it at a level easy to recognize by someone with a high school diploma, we might not have this problem...Ya know what? Nevermind.

My guess is it would be Washington's next available first round selection. I haven't found anything that suggests what would happen in this situation.

rowedf
03-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I posted this before, but its applicable again. IKE HAD ONE GOOD YEAR !!! Do you really think owners are gonna break the bank on the guy ? and give up a 1st round pick? I think IKE has the potential to become a great corner, is he now ... NO. Remember Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington, they both had A GREAT YEAR ......got their contract ...and look what happened. I think we are really overreacting about Ike Taylor. I'm not bashing him, just looking it at realisticlly, IMO.

tootalltoscore
03-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I posted this before, but its applicable again. IKE HAD ONE GOOD YEAR !!! Do you really think owners are gonna break the bank on the guy ? and give up a 1st round pick? I think IKE has the potential to become a great corner, is he now ... NO. Remember Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington, they both had A GREAT YEAR ......got their contract ...and look what happened. I think we are really overreacting about Ike Taylor. I'm not bashing him, just looking it at realisticlly, IMO.

I certainly have to agree with the above comment, but, more than that I believe the orginisation is playing safe here, I believe they are looking for a higher pick than #22 and by setting a low offer they are making it more realistic for other teams, perhaps they intend to offer a higher sheet to Ike - let us wait and see.

A scenario I like the look of, is that the Rams take Ike and we get their #11 pick now i see Lendale dropping to us, or Santonio Holmes, or dropping back down the opportunities are endless :bouncy: lets be positive

MichiSteeler
03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Love Ike, he is a must keep. Although I would have liked to keep Hope, keeping Keisel and Ike will satisfy me enough. but like i said id rather have all 3 :blurp:

TxsTed
03-19-2006, 08:55 PM

The Redskins can't sign Ike to an offer sheet unless they have a 1st round pick in this years draft. They would have to workout a trade, like they did for Brandon Lloyd (also a RFA who would have required a 1st round pick as compensation).

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 05:26 AM
The Steelers paid him a middle level tier to see what teams would bit on him, and seeing if someone possibly in the middle rounds would bite. Taylor had an good year, but i think Steeler fans over react to his greatness. C Scott looked really good as well for a couple of years and then he all the sudden couldnt cover his shadow. I cant say for sure, but i dont see a team giving up a first round on a guy who has limited playing experience and missed about 10 INT"s and had some tackling issues. The missed INT's being the worst of it, i would get so mad at him when watching games. I would say if a team did offer us a first round pick for him, i would take it and run and get White.... use Mcfadden and Townsend, Coclough draft another CB in 3rd round and another in 5th. just my opinion of course lol =)

Haiku_Dirtt
03-21-2006, 03:20 PM

If one really believes that LenDale White could become the tailback of the future then yes I'd make that deal. There is a good secondary crop available in the draft this year.

I love the way Ike plays but he does self-promote. And if we start to overpay in the secondary now then what is going to happen when Troy's contract is due. Troy is more valuable than Ike.

This is a slippery slope that the Rooneys should let lil' Danny take his Redskins down.

Umm. Seems like Dan Snyder is suffering from 'Napoleon syndrome.'

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Agreed !!

billcowherschin
03-21-2006, 05:49 PM
the redskins first round pick (22 overall) was part of the trade for clinton portis, so please do a little research before we start posting information that is not accurate

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2006, 06:26 PM
All the posts focus on Ike going to the Redskins, but the team with $$$ under the cap and a crying need for defensive backs is the Patriots.

Patriots are shedding the older players from the Super Bowl run (Adam Vinatieri to the Colts - Good God!) and have a lot of money with which to to reload.

tony hipchest
03-21-2006, 06:38 PM
All the posts focus on Ike going to the Redskins, but the team with $$$ under the cap and a crying need for defensive backs is the Patriots.

Patriots are shedding the older players from the Super Bowl run (Adam Vinatieri to the Colts - Good God!) and have a lot of money with which to to reload.couldnt agree more. i think ike taylor and eric moulds could solve 2 of their most glaring needs, at a relatively cheap price. dont think their front office doesnt think the same. i think the steelers make an offer ike cant refuse if someone offers him a contract.

MNsteelers
03-22-2006, 06:28 PM
couldnt agree more. i think ike taylor and eric moulds could solve 2 of their most glaring needs, at a relatively cheap price. dont think their front office doesnt think the same. i think the steelers make an offer ike cant refuse if someone offers him a contract.

A first round pick is a relatively cheap price? In the NFL, first-round picks are worth more than just about anyone. I guess it really all depends on what New England will have to offer Ike to make Pittsburgh not match it (read: Vikings deal with Hutchinson). The Patriots are like the Steelers in the sense they don't go after moves like signing restricted free agents. They prefer to build their team almost solely through the draft. I don't think they'll really chomp at the bit to give up a first round pick to sign a player. Just doesn't really seem to be the way they do things.

I think right now a better perspective is going to be what Pittsburgh is going to have to spend to retain Ike after this upcoming season.

noto45
03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Ike Must stay ....I like Ike

tony hipchest
03-22-2006, 07:18 PM
A first round pick is a relatively cheap price? In the NFL, first-round picks are worth more than just about anyone. relative to what they would be getting if a cb is what theyre going after with their 1st pick. with ike they would get a proven commodity with low miles, a ton of upside, who has prefomed on the greatest stage and against 4 of the top offenses in the playoffs.

atlanta got j. abraham relatively cheap with their 1st round pick.

but i definitely agree with your post.

SteelerDan43
03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Ike got $206,513 in performance based pay this year as a bonus from the league... Former Pitt standout Petitti recieved the most, almost as much as his pay check.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2382218