View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison practices, vows to stay the course

mesaSteeler
10-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Steelers' Harrison practices, vows to stay the course
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_705452.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 21, 2010

Defiant but also apologetic, James Harrison said today in a statement that he has no plans to retire and that he will "will continue to play the game with the same passion, intensity and focus and let the chips fall where they may."

Harrison practiced today after Steelers coach Mike Tomlin sent the Pro Bowl outside linebacker home yesterday to cool off.

Harrison, upset and frustrated after getting fined $75,000 by the NFL for a recent hit on Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, had said on several national radio shows that he might retire.

Harrison said in the statement released by the Steelers that the hit on Massaquoi was "clean" and "well within the scope of the rules."

"I feel the reason for the fine was the statement I made after the game wherein I said I try to hurt people, not injure them," Harrison said. "I apologize for making that statement and I want it to be known that I would never try to intentionally injure any player."

The NFL is cracking down on illegal helmet-to-helmet hits. Steelers players watched a video today, sent by the NFL, on what constitutes a legal hit.

The league has informed teams that stricter enforcement of the rule prohibiting hits above the shoulders on defenseless players could result in suspension or even suspensions from games in which they occur.

Harrison, who contends he led with his shoulder on the hit that got him fined, said he will "not let the league office stop me from playing the game I love."

"I have never given up, quit or walked away from anything in my life and am not about to start now," Harrison said. "I will not let down my family, friends or the Steelers nation."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Steeler4life1972
10-21-2010, 11:11 PM
Im so glad he is still here...I was getting worried but glad he is still the consumate professional.

Lady Steel
10-22-2010, 03:55 PM
James Harrison said today in a statement that he has no plans to retire and that he will "will continue to play the game with the same passion, intensity and focus and let the chips fall where they may."

Stay true to yourself, James! :tt02:

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
I feel bad for the Dolphins-- the only thing worse than Silverback and the Steeler's defense, is an ANGRY Silverback and Steelers defense....Harrison is going to decapitate somebody this weekend.