PDA

View Full Version : USA Eliminated

SteelerDan43
03-16-2006, 10:33 PM
USA lost 2-1 to Mexico and have been eliminated, Korea Japan Domincan Republic and Cuba are the 4 final teams

BlackNGold203
03-16-2006, 10:40 PM
unfreakinbelievable....we score one run against mexico?

83-Steelers-43
03-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Looked good on paper.....that's about it. Pathetic.

Suitanim
03-17-2006, 09:18 AM
You know, this is shameful for the US. Yeah, I know it's a Global game, and, yeah, the international players are good, but tell me if I'm wrong here.

Shouldn't a lineup that includes several future HOFers be able to score more than 3 runs against slightly better than average pitching from Mexico over 18 freaking innings?

Hell, a bad call against Japan, and the game against Mexico wouldn't have even mattered. It's one thing for the Hockey team to only be mediocre in the Olympics, since the sport of Hockey is a distant 5th in popularity in the US, but baseball is supposed to be our national pasttime (although we all know football is the #1 sport).

I'm sticking with Rome's take. If the US basically hosts and sponsors the thing, but can't even compete, let alone win the damned thing, then don't even bother having it.

83-Steelers-43
03-17-2006, 09:28 AM
The part that pisses me off the most about this tournament is the fact that we had Derek Lee sitting on the bench while players of "lower value" were playing. The manager feels he has to play every player on the team. While doing that, we end up losing.

If they decide to have this pathetically managed tournament next year, I hope it's after the season is over. We don't have to take guys out of Spring training and feel the need to play them over a Derek Lee. IMO, If you don't field your best possible ball team, it's pointless in even holding the tournament. It's a joke.

SteelerDan43
03-17-2006, 10:49 AM
The problem with with the US team in my opinion is a problem you see with alot of All Star teams, they didnt play as a team. They were not together long enough to come together as a unit. Alot of these other teams have been playing for a while when someone like ARod has only 25 or so ABs. That is not enough, it takes every bit of at least 50 to get yourself back into the swing of the game.

Koopa
03-17-2006, 03:58 PM
as much as i'm proud to be american i'm also proud to be mexican so i can't really say i'm disappointed with the loss. and better now then later, lets face it, the dominican republic is a power house and US didn't really have a chance to win it all anyway

**off topic real quick** suit did you ever post on ebaums world???

BB2W
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
This is embarrassing. :redface:

Suitanim
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
**off topic real quick** suit did you ever post on ebaums world???
I don't believe so, why?

Koopa
03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't believe so, why?

oh cause my friend was wondering if you were the same guy, cause he said he argued like you do and liked ohio state, so i figured i'd ask for him lol

Ambridge
03-17-2006, 10:02 PM
The thing that really chaps my ass is all the Latin American players who make millions playing in the USA but thumb their noses at the U.S. and choose to play for their country of origin.

Koopa
03-17-2006, 10:08 PM
The thing that really chaps my ass is all the Latin American players who make millions playing in the USA but thumb their noses at the U.S. and choose to play for their country of origin.

the reason for that is because it's an honor to rep your country, they ain't from here so they don't have to play for us. let them rep their countries if they want. no need to be mad at that

Ambridge
03-17-2006, 10:17 PM
the reason for that is because it's an honor to rep your country, they ain't from here so they don't have to play for us. let them rep their countries if they want. no need to be mad at that

If they love their country and want to represent then they should play their full-time.
They want the best of both worlds which is the American Greenback without showing any type of allegiance.

Koopa
03-17-2006, 10:23 PM
If they love their country and want to represent then they should play their full-time.
They want the best of both worlds which is the American Greenback without showing any type of allegiance.

so should that go for basketball players too? i just can't fault someone for wanting to rep their countries. it's not their fault americans haven't gotten lazy and ain't that good at sports anymore

SteelerDan43
03-17-2006, 10:28 PM
So we shouldnt have the best players playing in the best league?? It doesnt make a whole lot of sense. You would rather have the league diluted?? The way they determined your eligiabilty for the WBC was if one of your parents was born in another country you could play for that country. I want the best competition in MLB, that means we cannot leave out the foreign players. These players are not sticking their noses up at the USA, they are playing for their native country, the pride shown by the latin and asian teams is something the US players are lacking outside of Roger Clemens. If you follow your line of thinking you would get rid of Polamalu because he is of Samoan heritage, if you do that all over the league the NFL wouldnt be as good. just makes no sense

Ambridge
03-17-2006, 10:31 PM
so should that go for basketball players too? i just can't fault someone for wanting to rep their countries. it's not their fault americans haven't gotten lazy and ain't that good at sports anymore

To be honest with you it irritates me when there is any type of International Sporting Event and the foreign players who make countless millions and enjoy a much better standard of living here in the states run off with a sudden urge of Patriotism and play for their home country.......especially if some of these jokers have become legalized U.S. citizens.

You are correct that the American athlete isn't the top dog anymore.
Funny how we used to dominate in basketball and baseball but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Ambridge
03-17-2006, 10:43 PM
So we shouldnt have the best players playing in the best league?? It doesnt make a whole lot of sense. You would rather have the league diluted?? The way they determined your eligiabilty for the WBC was if one of your parents was born in another country you could play for that country. I want the best competition in MLB, that means we cannot leave out the foreign players. These players are not sticking their noses up at the USA, they are playing for their native country, the pride shown by the latin and asian teams is something the US players are lacking outside of Roger Clemens. If you follow your line of thinking you would get rid of Polamalu because he is of Samoan heritage, if you do that all over the league the NFL wouldnt be as good. just makes no sense

The key phrase I see is "could" play for that country. Which means they could play for the United States if they wanted too???
Again they want to make the big time money but don't want to show any appreciation for the country that provides them the lifestyle they more than likely wouldn't get in their home country.
I'm sure if Roger Clemens was making a Billion dollars playing for the team from Outer Monglolia he'd want to come back and play for the peasant U.S. team.
You can't make the comparison of NFL football as an International sport when the U.S. is the only country outside of Canada that plays for any type of championship.

SteelerDan43
03-17-2006, 10:47 PM
To be honest with you it irritates me when there is any type of International Sporting Event and the foreign players who make countless millions and enjoy a much better standard of living here in the states run off with a sudden urge of Patriotism and play for their home country.......especially if some of these jokers have become legalized U.S. citizens.

Maybey they come here to play their respective sport at the highest level against the best competition and not because of the better standard of living which in the case of Europe is actually a lower standard of living. From what your saying if someone from Pittsburgh moves to Cleveland because of their Job they should root for the Browns.

SteelerDan43
03-17-2006, 10:50 PM
The key phrase I see is "could" play for that country.

Someone like David Ortiz couldnt play for the USA he is a Domincan citizen. He comes to play in our league because it has the best competition in the world. And our league is better off for it.

83-Steelers-43
03-18-2006, 12:09 AM
The key phrase I see is "could" play for that country. Which means they could play for the United States if they wanted too???
Again they want to make the big time money but don't want to show any appreciation for the country that provides them the lifestyle they more than likely wouldn't get in their home country.
I'm sure if Roger Clemens was making a Billion dollars playing for the team from Outer Monglolia he'd want to come back and play for the peasant U.S. team.
You can't make the comparison of NFL football as an International sport when the U.S. is the only country outside of Canada that plays for any type of championship.

Hey, at least the Mexican fans didn't boo our national anthem this year. In soccer they boo us every time our two teams meet up. Last year they chanted something pertaining to Osama Bin Laden in a positive light. Nice huh? :rolleyes:

Steelersfan
03-18-2006, 12:50 AM

Or they could play for the country they were born an raised in. What's the big deal? So they make money here. Isn't that what we want out of Pro sports? To have the best players in the world playing?

MLB is a business, international play is for pride. Something American's seem to lack these days.

SteelerDan43
03-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Or they could play for the country they were born an raised in. What's the big deal? So they make money here. Isn't that what we want out of Pro sports? To have the best players in the world playing?

MLB is a business, international play is for pride. Something American's seem to lack these days.

When you watch one of these games in Puerto Rico or see footage of the Caribbean series you see what amounts to a party in the stands. The fans want to win as much as the players do. They have flags in the stands, their faces are painted, they all have team colors on, its a real sense of pride. They live pitch to pitch. These are things you dont see in the MLB near as much, the only time you see people get pumped up is in the stretch run. Even a mid season rivalry game doesnt get people as emotional as it once did. Hopefully this foreign influx will help foster this sense of pride in your team.

Ambridge
03-18-2006, 04:03 PM

I wonder if there was ever a "Play for Pay-International Tournament" if these guys would still want to play for their home team??
It would just be nice to see some of these players say "Playing baseball in the United States has tremendously improved my life and that of my family and I would like to show a gesture of appreciation and loyalty and play for the U.S. Team".

Ambridge
03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Maybey they come here to play their respective sport at the highest level against the best competition and not because of the better standard of living which in the case of Europe is actually a lower standard of living. From what your saying if someone from Pittsburgh moves to Cleveland because of their Job they should root for the Browns.

Actually from a report I seen on television a couple of years back they exampled European basketball and how the teams over there have passed the U.S. as far as fundamental skills and playing better as an overall team/s.
That's why the U.S. doesn't dominate in international basketball like they had several years back.

Using the move from Pittsburgh to Cleveland isn't a good comparison because that doesn't involve millions of dollars or nationalism.

SteelerDan43
03-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Actually from a report I seen on television a couple of years back they exampled European basketball and how the teams over there have passed the U.S. as far as fundamental skills and playing better as an overall team/s.
That's why the U.S. doesn't dominate in international basketball like they had several years back.

Using the move from Pittsburgh to Cleveland isn't a good comparison because that doesn't involve millions of dollars or nationalism.

The American style of play is much different than the European style. The Europeans lack bigman down low skills, but they shoot the three better than we do because of it. It is like the difference between North American hockey and European hockey. Playing as a team is important in basketball ala the Detroit Pistons who would beat most european national teams because they have played as a team and were not thrown together a month before the tourney. The Cleveland example is valid, an athelete taking an extra few million to play in the USA instead of for example the Mexican league is the same as taking a job in Cleveland for a few thousand dollars more a year. The pride in Pittsburgh and in particular sports and the Steelers is similar to the pride these players have in their country.

Suitanim
03-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I guess there's actually talk of eliminating the all-star game, shortening the season to 154 games, and holding the WBC game in it's place.

Interesting idea, but I'm not about to hold my breath.

83-Steelers-43
03-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Cuba beats the Dominican Republic. Japan beats Korea. I think we had as good as a chance as anybody in the tournament.

clevestinks
03-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Americas past time, Baseball????? How many Americans even play anymore. The NFL, and football is where its at!

83-Steelers-43
03-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Football in the olympics......let's do it.

Ambridge
03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Americas past time, Baseball????? How many Americans even play anymore. The NFL, and football is where its at!

The new saying that's been out for a few years now is "Baseball may be Americas Past time but Football is Americas Passion".

Unfortunatley, I think the NFL is making the inroads into trying to make the NFL a more global sport. We already see preseason games being played overseas and the regular season game in Mexico City last season. The grumblings of the Superbowl being played outside the U.S. in the distant future and possible European expansion down the road as well.
This will not be good for the "Native" NFL fans in the future.
NFL Football could look totally different in the next 25-30yrs.

SalukiSteelers
03-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Well the US is gone. While it's disappointing, I don't have a problem with other countries beating us as long as it's on the up-and-up. I'm glad to see that other countries -- with Cuba being the exception -- are doing well in the tourney. It only makes baseball a stronger sport. My one regret of the tourney is Team USA not playing Cuba. That've been tits. I really don't care about guys cashing checks but then playing for other countries. The idea is to grow the sport in other countries and I think the WBC is doing that. It can only make our pro league better.

83-Steelers-43
04-06-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm curious, does anybody know the viewership ratings in the USA for this tournament?