PDA

View Full Version : Is it really this obvious?

MikeHaullace
10-23-2010, 03:02 AM
What really needs to be discussed during Harrison's appeal is the matter of the intent of the defender and what adjustments were made by the receiver/player to disrupt that intent.

Massaquoi saw Harrison last second and instinctively prepared himself for impact. In doing so, his legs buckled and head dropped, (http://i.imgur.com/kR6w3.jpg). Also you can see, Harrison has his head tilted to his left, leading with his right shoulder.

Watching the replay numerous times over, I have concluded Harrison's intent was to strike the receiver in the chest using his shoulder (and forearms?), trying to disrupt the receiver from making a play on the ball.

Massaquoi's body turned into Harrison while trying to possess the football. This allowed him to see Harrison coming, which led to his instinctive reaction to the unavoidable crushing hit.

Don't believe it? Check out the moment of impact. (http://i.imgur.com/VVSrr.jpg) Look how low Massaquoi is compared to an almost completely upright Lawerence Timmons.

That is Massaquoi's head where his chest should have been and Harrison's shoulder meeting.

So let's look at the irony here. Had Harrison's intent come to fruit, we may have seen that play used as an example of a legal hit. Not used as a means to put other defenders on notice.

I guess my point is this:

On the field, make the best call possible regarding throwing a flag or even disqualifying a player based on the defined expectation presented in the video released earlier in the week.

When investigating and evaluating to determine fines and suspension, I feel it is necessary to consider the receivers'/players' actions leading up to the hit. If, like in the Massaquoi hit, the receiver sees the impact coming and physically reacts, it must be ruled on whether or not that reaction caused the illegality of the hit if deemed such for review.

What do yinz think?

Personal Note : $75,000 is a lot of money, with or without a multi-million dollar contract. That's a healthy game check for some athletes. And to be extorted for playing the game harder and better than most? Come on, NFL. Come on, Roger Goodell. You're a JOKE if you keep his money. Okay, you're a joke if you don't keep his money. I'm already turning my back to you and your B.S., being-ran-into-the-ground league after I watch the Steelers win their 7th Super Bowl title in my backyard come February.

So Roger. Don't repeal the fine for me. Repeal it for all of the others fans that are going to give a phuck about the NFL next year. Because I certainly won't. Phuck you, Roger Goodell. Phuck you. :wink02:

SoCalFan
10-23-2010, 05:30 AM
Its all BS.They were both playing full speed and $hit happens.And,so,everyone MOVE ON!

NYC_Steeler
10-23-2010, 05:49 AM
The appeal process is total BS - the only way to stop the NFL from destroying the game is to file a lawsuit - it worked for the Williams brothers in Minnesota.

steeltheone
10-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Agreed.... full speed all out hitting is impossible to police....I cant believe it is even an issue?

jjpro11
10-23-2010, 07:39 AM
bingo... you can't penalize guys for accidents caused by the receivers themselves. everyone knows the Brandon Merriweather hit was illegal.. why is is 95% of the league thinks Harrison's hit was clean? regardless of what is stated in the rulebook, common sense should be applied.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-23-2010, 05:29 PM
The problem is that we have a bunch of folks that have never played a down of football in their life, trying to govern how the game should be played and trying to ascertain how the players are SUPPOSED to react in game situations at game speed.

It is ridiculous, and my blood boils whenever I read some of these pukes on other websites commenting on how bad a human being Harrison is, how dirty a player he is, etc. etc. and they haven't the slightest clue what they are jibber-jabbering about.

lionslicer
10-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Heads of NFL are just out of their minds of late... And Harrison is only making 800k this year. His contract is so huge because of his bonuses. His year to year salary is pretty low compared to what you think he should make. I think he made the contract that way so he can push himself to work harder than just play medicore and still clear a lot of money. 75k is 2 game checks for him. He's forced to work and play 2 games without pay.. I'd be pretty pissed about that.

Steel_Bus_24
10-23-2010, 09:29 PM
The problem is that we have a bunch of folks that have never played a down of football in their life, trying to govern how the game should be played and trying to ascertain how the players are SUPPOSED to react in game situations at game speed.

It is ridiculous, and my blood boils whenever I read some of these pukes on other websites commenting on how bad a human being Harrison is, how dirty a player he is, etc. etc. and they haven't the slightest clue what they are jibber-jabbering about.

damm right

Stu Pidasso
10-23-2010, 11:20 PM
If I recall, they (the NFL mafia) changed the "definition" of Harrison's fine from helmet-to-helmet to a "hit on a defenseless player/receiver". They are in full CYA mode.

steelax04
10-24-2010, 09:16 AM
If I recall, they (the NFL mafia) changed the "definition" of Harrison's fine from helmet-to-helmet to a "hit on a defenseless player/receiver". They are in full CYA mode.

You are correct... I think that was even noted in the video that they sent out to the teams. How a receiver bobbling the ball for three steps is defenseless... I'm not sure. Shitty pass... receiver can't control it... is he defenseless because his QB hung him out to dry?