PDA

View Full Version : My picks

ricardisimo
10-24-2010, 04:24 AM
I bag on Pete Prisco over at CBS, mostly because he deserves it, being a Bungholes fan. But I also think I could pick games better with a dartboard. Here are my picks, almost but not quite decided with a dartboard:

Steelers 24 - Dolphins 10
Falcons 21 - Cincy 17
Ravens 20 - Bills 13
Chiefs 14 - Jaguars 10
Saints 21 - Browns 20
Washington 14 - Bears 3
49ers 31 - Panthers 10
Rams 17 - Buccaneers 14
Titans 21 - Eagles 10
Seahawks 24 - Cardinals 7
Patriots 28 - Chargers 17
Raiders 14 - Broncos 7
Packers 21 - Vikings 17 {Bonus prediction: Favre will get knocked out badly, ending his consecutive games streak next week}
Cowboys 20 - Giants 10

I figure all I have to do is beat Prisco's 49% success rate, then submit my results along with some examples of my writing from here and a few college English courses to CBSSportsline. With a little luck I could have his job in a few weeks.

Or not.

ricardisimo
10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, so far I'm doing better than 49%, I guess. One thing I can't help but notice and point out: monster scores everywhere, even by mediocre offenses. Goodell and co. got their wish. What a bunch of turds. Defense in the NFL is dead.

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 02:28 AM
So, Prisco's 7-6 for the week thus far, and he and I both picked Dallas to win tomorrow, so I won't be gaining any more on him.

Steelers 24 - Dolphins 10
Falcons 21 - Cincy 17
Ravens 20 - Bills 13
Chiefs 14 - Jaguars 10
Saints 21 - Browns 20
Washington 14 - Bears 3
49ers 31 - Panthers 10
Rams 17 - Buccaneers 14
Titans 21 - Eagles 10
Seahawks 24 - Cardinals 7
Patriots 28 - Chargers 17
Raiders 14 - Broncos 7
Packers 21 - Vikings 17 {Favre did lose the game for them, so maybe he won't start next week after all.}
Cowboys 20 - Giants 10

Meanwhile I went 10-3. I am so going to love taking his job away from him. :chuckle:

The real point of this thread has become this, though: the scoring seems crazy. The league got the offensive boost it wanted when it slapped Harrison. I will bet they waive the fine now that it's done it's job.

MattsMe
10-25-2010, 02:41 AM
I picked 10-5 this week. I had Favre Sr. over Favre Jr.
And I always pick against the patriots*.

I think some of these hacks are encouraged to make horrible picks. It gets people talking and coming back to see what bone head thing they will write next.

As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 02:46 AM
I picked 10-5 this week. I had Favre Sr. over Favre Jr.
And I always pick against the patriots*.

I think some of these hacks are encouraged to make horrible picks. It gets people talking and coming back to see what bone head thing they will write next.

As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
Wow. You went 10-5 on the 13 games so far? That is amazing... I take it Roger Goodell penalized you with the extra two bad picks, huh? :chuckle:

So, was it 8-5 or 10-3?

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 02:59 AM
Wow. You went 10-5 on the 13 games so far? That is amazing... I take it Roger Goodell penalized you with the extra two bad picks, huh? :chuckle:

So, was it 8-5 or 10-3?

I say he was 10-3 also just because if someone 5 is closer to 3 than 10 is to 8... On the keyboard anyways lol.

MattsMe
10-25-2010, 03:21 AM

So, was it 8-5 or 10-3?

8-3, and not near enough sleep in the last few days. :doh:

No, I missed the same games you did, plus the Vikings and Chargers. 8-5.

Look ma, I can count!

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 03:33 AM
So let's recap, Matt. I think you can vouch for me when I say that I know nuthin' about nuthin', and yet I spanked Prisco without even trying. Why does this man have a job?

Secondly, am I imagining the boost in scoring this week, and the connection to Harrison's fine? Are there any bored actuaries out there who are willing to crunch the week's numbers for us? Thanks.

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Last week the total scoring of all teams was 564, which is 40 points agame roughly.

Total scoring for this week is 626, and thats without the last game being played. Thats a jump in 62 points. Thats an average of 48 total points scored a game, which is a jump from the 40 points scored a game last week.

Though last week and this week both have had 6 games where atleast 1 team was held under 20 points. And you could argue that the Chiefs and Raiders games put the scoring overboard.

But if you go back to the first week, in 16 games, only 572 points were scored, which was 35 total points a game. You could argue that the NFL week to week is having higher and higher scores. Players are always fined every week for hits and possibly the 75k to Harrison and all the other fines that happened this week will spring the NFL to much higher scoring game in the next few weeks. Time will tell. But this week it has made a difference, causing some of the most dominant defense teams to give up over 20 points, which most top 10 defense allow less than 20 a game.

MattsMe
10-25-2010, 03:52 AM
I think Prisco still has a job because of his fellatio skills. I can't personally vouch for this, but I know a guy who knows a guy.

And I don't think that you're imagining the spike in scoring. I'm sure we'll see a comparison of the numbers in the next few days. It does seem to be related to the fines, and a blind eye turned towards holding. (even more than usual)

What stumps me is why Hines didn't get the pass interference call when he was clearly bumped off his route. And if I remember correctly, it happened TWICE in the same play. This clearly goes against Goodell's goal of more fantasy points. What gives?

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 04:05 AM
I think Prisco still has a job because of his fellatio skills. I can't personally vouch for this, but I know a guy who knows a guy.

And I don't think that you're imagining the spike in scoring. I'm sure we'll see a comparison of the numbers in the next few days. It does seem to be related to the fines, and a blind eye turned towards holding. (even more than usual)

What stumps me is why Hines didn't get the pass interference call when he was clearly bumped off his route. And if I remember correctly, it happened TWICE in the same play. This clearly goes against Goodell's goal of more fantasy points. What gives?
It seems clear to me: Hines is not on Goodell's fantasy team.

ricardisimo
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I might get my bonus prediction after all:
Minnesota Vikings (http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavikings/profile?team=MIN) coach Brad Childress revealed Monday that quarterback Brett Favre (http://www.nfl.com/players/brettfavre/profile?id=FAV540222) is in a walking boot and has two fractures in his surgically repaired left ankle, putting his status for the next game in question.
Childress said an MRI exam showed Favre suffered an avulsion fracture and a stress fracture but will not require surgery. When an avulsion fracture occurs, the tendon or ligament pulls off a piece of the bone.
Favre re-injured his ankle during the third quarter of Sunday's 28-24 loss to the Green Bay Packers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB).
Damn, I'm good. Eat that, Prisco.

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
So, Prisco's 7-6 for the week thus far, and he and I both picked Dallas to win tomorrow, so I won't be gaining any more on him. Meanwhile I went 10-3. I am so going to love taking his job away from him. :chuckle:

The real point of this thread has become this, though: the scoring seems crazy. The league got the offensive boost it wanted when it slapped Harrison. I will bet they waive the fine now that it's done it's job.

Looking at the games, you should have been 12-1. Bucs and Panthers pulled wins out their asses. Though I don't think anyone could have picked the Browns over the Saints... Except Cowher.. Who seems to be like 90% on his upset picks this year.

tony hipchest
10-25-2010, 11:50 PM
What stumps me is why Hines didn't get the pass interference call when he was clearly bumped off his route. And if I remember correctly, it happened TWICE in the same play. This clearly goes against Goodell's goal of more fantasy points. What gives?i initially thought the same thing when i saw the replay.

but the refs were right in not throwing the flag. the defenders have the right to stand their ground (which just so happened to be directly in the path of hines' route).

hines ran into both of them = no call = good no call.

and rico is is a complete freako with his picks.

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Looking at the games, you should have been 12-1. Bucs and Panthers pulled wins out their asses. Though I don't think anyone could have picked the Browns over the Saints... Except Cowher.. Who seems to be like 90% on his upset picks this year.
Well, I have to say I was completely off on tonight's game. I've been saying all year long that Dallas is completely overrated, but I never imagined they would go 1-5 (or even worse, from the looks of their schedule.) Wow. America's Team is right. They're going down the toilet at the same rate as America's economy, democracy, national pride, international prestige, etc.

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2010, 03:11 AM

So, was it 8-5 or 10-3?
stop singling people out you asshole !!! :chuckle:

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 03:15 AM
stop singling people out you asshole !!! :chuckle:
No, I'm a troll (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=60181). You're the asshole. There's a specialization of labor here that has to be maintained. :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2010, 03:20 AM
No, I'm a troll (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=60181). You're the asshole. There's a specialization of labor here that has to be maintained. :chuckle:
asshole > troll http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-smugbert.gif

ricardisimo
10-26-2010, 03:31 AM
asshole > troll http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-smugbert.gif
D'oh! Why, oh why can't I ever get the better of this fiend? Confound you, MoP!

MasterOfPuppets
10-26-2010, 03:35 AM
D'oh! Why, oh why can't I ever get the better of this fiend? Confound you, MoP!
hey the public has spoken..:noidea:

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I haven't yet received a call from CBS, so I'm just going to keep doing this until I do, I guess. Prisco's at 50% for the year (42% last week). I'm at 71% so far. Let's see how well I have to do to get a freaking hack writer's job.

Steelers 30 - Saints 20
49ers 21 - Broncos 9
Jaguars 20 - Cowboys 13
Dolphins 24 - Bengals 14
Bills 21 - Chiefs 10
Washington 17 - Lions 14
Rams 31 - Panthers 13
Packers 31 - Jets 24
Titans 21 - Chargers 17
Vikings 21 - Patriots 20
Bucs - 14 - Cardinals 7
Raiders 23 - Seahawks 16
Colts 31 - Texans 21

No bonus predictions this week, other than if Favre doesn't start he'll threaten to retire.

Brett Favre

lionslicer
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
The scores aren't high enough.. You're about 150 total points off of how many points were scored last week.. lol Other than that I think they're good picks.

ricardisimo
10-28-2010, 09:43 PM
The scores aren't high enough.. You're about 150 total points off of how many points were scored last week.. lol Other than that I think they're good picks.
As long as I get hired and Prisco gets fired it will all be good. Yet again he picks the Bengals to win and the Steelers to lose. He's going down.

ricardisimo
11-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Steelers 30 - Saints 20
49ers 21 - Broncos 9
Jaguars 20 - Cowboys 13
Dolphins 24 - Bengals 14
Bills 21 - Chiefs 10
Washington 17 - Lions 14
Rams 31 - Panthers 13
Packers 31 - Jets 24
Titans 21 - Chargers 17
Vikings 21 - Patriots 20
Bucs - 14 - Cardinals 7
Raiders 23 - Seahawks 16
Colts 31 - Texans 21

Uggh... time to take my lumps. He actually picked one better than me. Goodbye, sports journalist career. :wave:

cloppbeast
11-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Defense in the NFL is dead.

You must have missed the Saints defense against the Steelers then.

lionslicer
11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
You must have missed the Saints defense against the Steelers then.

seems this week had a lot more defense than last week, seems players already adjusted to the new rules and aren't afraid to hit.

lionslicer
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Uggh... time to take my lumps. He actually picked one better than me. Goodbye, sports journalist career. :wave:

Don't give up man, jus study harder. You can doo it.