PDA

View Full Version : WVU in the National Title Race???

Webfactor8
03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Ok guys, last season (2005 Record/BIG EAST Record: 11-1/7-0) WVU won the sugar bowl. This year it looks like WVU will run the Big East and go undefeated. Where with BCS put WVU? I don't think they will have a choice but to put us in the national title.

P.S.
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 49/17 (Main losses were to the secondary)

Suitanim
03-17-2006, 11:34 AM
They've got one thing working against them: Strength of schedule.

Sat Sep 2 Marshall TBA
Sat Sep 9 Buffalo (Parents Day) TBA
Thu Sep 14 Maryland TBA
Sat Sep 23 at East Carolina TBA
Sat Oct 7 at Mississippi State TBA
Sat Oct 14 Syracuse (Homecoming) TBA
Fri Oct 20 at Connecticut TBA
Thu Nov 2 at Louisville TBA
Sat Nov 11 Cincinnati (Mountaineer Week) TBA
Thu Nov 16 at Pitt TBA
Sat Nov 25 USF TBA
Sat Dec 2 Rutgers

If they go undefeated, they still won't have anywhere near the computer points needed to play in a National Championship, unless all the other power teams from better football conferences end up with 2 losses, which is highly unlikely.

The way to fix that would be to replace Buffalo and/or Marshall with a Big 10 and/or SEC powerhouse.

daleemnm
03-17-2006, 03:33 PM
If they're the only undefeated team, then yes. LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Suitanim
03-17-2006, 05:37 PM
I doubt that, unless some of the Big East football teams really make some vast improvements. This schedule is nothing special, and the Miami of Ohio from two years ago could plow through it. There's just not enough computer points generated by beating a bunch of Rutgers and UConn's...

Webfactor8
03-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I understand why there isn’t, but I wish there could be a tournament like in NCAA Basketball.

Suitanim
03-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm not knocking WVU at all, but I'm sure they'd have the door slammed in their face if they do manage an undefeated run...it's kind of circular logic here, but the argument would be that they SHOULD go undefeated playing a weak schedule. And, although they are an improved program, I don't think they'd survive a full season in either the Big 10 or the SEC. Those top teams just pound on each other so much week in and week out, it really takes something special to survive unscathed.

Again, the way they help themselves is to dump the Buffalo game and pick up a top 20 opponent (Hypothetically, since it's not going to happen at the eleventh hour). The Marshall game is okay, because they are a nationally recognized program, plus they have the whole in-state thing going, but Buffalo is a joke...they are a doormat in the MAC.

Webfactor8
03-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm not knocking WVU at all, but I'm sure they'd have the door slammed in their face if they do manage an undefeated run...it's kind of circular logic here, but the argument would be that they SHOULD go undefeated playing a weak schedule. And, although they are an improved program, I don't think they'd survive a full season in either the Big 10 or the SEC. Those top teams just pound on each other so much week in and week out, it really takes something special to survive unscathed.

Again, the way they help themselves is to dump the Buffalo game and pick up a top 20 opponent (Hypothetically, since it's not going to happen at the elenth hour). The Marshall game is okay, because they are a nationally recognized program, plus they have the whole in-state thing going, but Buffalo is a joke...they are a doormat in the MAC.

You're right about the weak schedule. You can't really compare the Big 10 or the SEC (in football) to the big east. But the Big East is a conference on the rise. I think Pittsburgh, Louisville, (both recruited well) and Rutgers will continue to improve.

WVU has a BCS bowl win from last year, we haven't lost players in key positions. With the current BCS system how can an undefeated WVU not be in the big game? Regardless of strength of schedule.

This isn't about if WVU deserves it. It's my opinion that they do, but I'm biased. I would like to hear any arguments for or against WVU making it to the BCS Championship. I think the math adds up.

Suitanim
03-18-2006, 08:19 PM
WVU has a BCS bowl win from last year, we haven't lost players in key positions. With the current BCS system how can an undefeated WVU not be in the big game? Regardless of strength of schedule.

I'll give you an example of how. OSU spanked a good ND team in a BCS game last year, and, while West Virginia is playing Buffalo at home, the Bucks will be travelling to the National Champion Texas Longhorns, where they will probably win. If the Bucks lose one game later playing Big 10 teams, and the Mountaineers go undefeated playing creampuffs, it would be a travesty if the Bucks were bumped for WVU.

SteelCityMan786
03-18-2006, 10:02 PM
You're right about the weak schedule. You can't really compare the Big 10 or the SEC (in football) to the big east. But the Big East is a conference on the rise. I think Pittsburgh, Louisville, (both recruited well) and Rutgers will continue to improve.

This isn't about if WVU deserves it. It's my opinion that they do, but I'm biased. I would like to hear any arguments for or against WVU making it to the BCS Championship. I think the math adds up.

WVU has a case. White is back and pretty much no key players were lost from a season ago.

daleemnm
03-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Again, the way they help themselves is to dump the Buffalo game and pick up a top 20 opponent (Hypothetically, since it's not going to happen at the eleventh hour). The Marshall game is okay, because they are a nationally recognized program, plus they have the whole in-state thing going, but Buffalo is a joke...they are a doormat in the MAC.

We're going to destroy Marshall too. :sofunny:

Webfactor8
03-19-2006, 08:41 AM
We're going to destroy Marshall too. :sofunny:
Rep points to you!!!!

Suitanim
03-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Since OSU started playing in-state teams again, they've won all the games, but have rarely "destroyed" any of them...in fact, they've had some scares.

Nothing can ruin a season like a September upset.

daleemnm
03-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, WVU pretty much destroyed every team in their last 5 games so i expect them to put up at least 40-50 points in the game.

Suitanim
03-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Last 5 in 2005

Connecticut 45-13
Cincinnati 38-0
Pitt 45-13
South Florida 28-13
Georgia 38-35

4 bad teams and an upset. And that's at the END of the season.

I'd take the teaser against Marshall...

daleemnm
03-23-2006, 09:34 AM
That's around the same time SLaton and White became starters. I think we would've beat VT if we played them a month or two later.

Webfactor8
04-01-2006, 12:56 PM
That's around the same time SLaton and White became starters. I think we would've beat VT if we played them a month or two later.

I'm actually a little glad we didn't. If we had, i would be obligated to burn my apartment down and I've grown attached to it. :crazy01:

Mr. Clean
04-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I wanted WVU to play Penn State in the BCS last January. It would have been sweet to see JoePa the Old have to play one of the schools he dropped from the PSU schedule.

Hypnotic
05-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Good to see some WVu fans in here because I sometimes have a stronger passion for WVU in football.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3877/11lz2.jpg

Ohio Steeler
05-12-2006, 03:57 AM
wvu is alright I think they realy need to get out of the Big East maybe join the Big Ten or ACC

Hypnotic
05-12-2006, 08:19 AM
wvu is alright I think they realy need to get out of the Big East maybe join the Big Ten or ACC

I cant see that ever happening plus the ACC is tainted to me.:rolleyes:

daleemnm
05-12-2006, 06:04 PM
I seen somewhere that theres rumors that they're headed to the SEC. Probably false though.

Ohio Steeler
05-13-2006, 04:08 AM
anything is better then the Big Waste, they need to get out of there fast

Suitanim
05-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe the ACC...I doubt the SEC. Forget the Big 10 altogether. The only team that possibly has enough juice to join the Big 10 would be Notre Dame.

Jimmy James
06-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Unless there are more than 2 undefeated teams, there is going to be a lot of explaining to do if WVU runs the table and doesn't make it. My team is Alabama, but I have a rooting interest in WVU since I'm a native West Virginian.

With all of that said, if they can screw with the SEC, they can screw with the Big East. The fix is in -- there is a pronounced and maddening bias toward the Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 10.

Suitanim
06-03-2006, 05:27 PM
With all of that said, if they can screw with the SEC, they can screw with the Big East. The fix is in -- there is a pronounced and maddening bias toward the Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 10.

I agree that the Pac 10 is vastly overrated, but the accusation of bias toward the Big 10 and Big 12 is nonsense. 7 of the last 12 national champions have been from those conferences...

Santonio4
06-03-2006, 09:59 PM
No!! WVU isnt in the race. All they got is that qb. You can quote me:
OHIO STATE IS GOING UNDFEATED AND IS GOING TO WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!

Ohio Steeler
06-03-2006, 10:01 PM
OHIO STATE IS GOING UNDFEATED AND IS GOING TO WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!

true that

GO BUCKS

I.C. Lights
06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I'd love to see WVA do well this year, and I definitely wouldn't mind a replay of 1988 either!

daleemnm
06-13-2006, 09:48 PM

We don't just got that QB, bud. Steve Slaton, Owen Schmitt, and that defense is even better this year.

Santonio4
06-21-2006, 06:03 PM
We don't just got that QB, bud. Steve Slaton, Owen Schmitt, and that defense is even better this year.

Your defense has to play against Syracuse and Pitt. Any defense could play with 7 guys and still shut em out. Ohio State plays against real football players. The best football player WVU last year was Pittsnogle and he didnt even play. The Big East is like Pop Warner football. When you have no competition you can usually win games. If WVU makes to the national championship and plays Ohio State they will lose by 30.

Suitanim
06-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Actually, the problem lies in the computer rankings. I think this has happened to Boise and BYU before, where they go undefeated, but since they have such a cupcake schedule, they don't earn enough points to play their way into the BCS games, let alone the national championship.

The way to address this for teams from conferences like the Big East is to man up like the Texas' and OSU's, and schedule legitimate BCS contending teams with early season openings instead of scheduling Middle Eastern Central State for tune-up games.

louisvillecards
08-13-2006, 02:13 PM
dont forget your little stop by our house louisvillecards thinks your counting your victories before they hatch i dont think running the table is in the cards for ya if you get what im saying:boxing:

X-Terminator
08-14-2006, 09:43 AM
As a former WVU student, I follow the team fairly regularly - they do look strong this season, no doubt. But I don't like all of this national championship talk - they aren't on that level yet. Let's face it, the Big East may as well be the SWAC when it comes to football - the only thing that makes them relevant is the BCS automatic bid. It was nice to see them beat Georgia last year, but don't expect that to happen again this year.

As for switching conferences, doesn't the SEC already have 12 teams? If the spot opens up, though, they should take it without any hesitation. Big conference + big exposure = better recruits.

WV-SteelerFan
08-27-2006, 09:40 PM
This isn't about if WVU deserves it.
The "argument" should be about if they WILL! IF they're one of only two undefeated tems left at the end of the season, I believe (just my opinion) that they WILL be in the championship game, deserving it or not.That's just the way the system works. Fans may not like the BCS system, but, it's what's in place now.
:hunch:

You usually don't drop unless you lose or dropping you fits the voter's agenda.

P.S. - I've heard/read more "con" BCS than "pro"...

Elvis
09-14-2006, 09:12 AM
I believe that WVU will win, well..., maybe all their games... but the reason is... is because who are they gonna play? The Big East aint nothing anymore and the BCS needs to get out of connection with that conference champion being in the BCS automatically. Pitt aint as good as they used to be and who else is there to play?

Haiku_Dirtt
09-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Agree with Suit. There could be four or five teams at the top with one loss at the end. The coaches poll might not give them the leg they need. And OSU, Auburn and USC could run the table and be unbeaten - maybe. ND will have a loss or even two since they go into LA to play SC.

I like WVU's coach and team but I'm not convinced today that they are in the Top 4 and the schedule won't help to make their case.

But all that can change with Pitt's and Louisville's success. Overall there are too many weak schedules out there...lead by FSU.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
I believe that WVU will win, well..., maybe all their games... but the reason is... is because who are they gonna play? The Big East aint nothing anymore and the BCS needs to get out of connection with that conference champion being in the BCS automatically. Pitt aint as good as they used to be and who else is there to play?

the terps thats who!!!.......thier gonna kick some eer ass tonight!!!!:dancing:

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
This would be the first big game the Turtles have won in two years.

I just don't see that happening. NC State all over again.
lol...i was joking dude. i know they don't have a chance in hell, but i'm still a terp fan. i wouldn't care if they lost every other game as long as they beat the eers.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
They have a chance, don't think that all is lost.

But I have to wonder how much longer the alums are going to wait for the Fridge to right the ship. Rumors are thar backwater inquiries have already been made about Larry Johnson's avaliability at Penn State.
i realize upsets happen, but it sure won't be md beating wv,it will be wv,beating wv.

i don't think its fridges fault. its the recruiting and lack of talent. and as soon as they get a little talent ,they leave for the nfl. (vernon davis,jaquel jackson) they've got the same problems as the basketball program.

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
The HC has to be the guy to take the fall for recruiting. Last year, Penn State walked into Md and got Antonio Logan-El, AJ Wallace, and a host of other while the Terps just sat back and watched.

You have to recruit your own state or your screwed.
it's the damn alumni's fault!!! apparently their not offering nice enough houses and cars to these high school kids!!!
seriously though...if you were a highly recruited player and were approached by a nationally ranked, winning tradition history team, and the terps,who you gonna pick?
success breeds success (see duke basketball) in the ncaa and md football doesn't have a history of success.right now their barely beating division 2 schools!!!

MasterOfPuppets
09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Kids want playing time and tv exposure.

If Maryland could have given them that, they'd be Terps right now.

and how do you get tv time???...by winning games, being ranked in the top 20 and going to big bowls. something penn state does a little more often than md does.
i really don't think it would be too hard for a kid with talent to get a starting job on the terps squad.

I.C. Lights
10-23-2006, 10:41 PM
So...WVU is still undefeated and is now #4 in the BCS. I think they'll take Louisville easily but might struggle against Rutgers.