PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians stupid reverse tricks!

zulater
10-24-2010, 01:35 PM
:doh: Way to grab defeat out of the clutches of victory Bruce. Does that play ever work? Not only doesn't it work, it always loses effing yardage! :banging: And one more thing, it was completely unnecessary! 2nd and 4, Ben playing lights out, why the hell do you think you need to resort to a trick play!!!! :mad:

SteelKnight
10-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I agree. Why not just let Ben throw a few more passes and at worst get us into field goal range.

Sloppy football.

I can't believe after all that sloppy football we still have the lead! Awesome.

zulater
10-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I agree. Why not just let Ben throw a few more passes and at worst get us into field goal range.

Sloppy football.

I can't believe after all that sloppy football we still have the lead! Awesome.

I think we already were in field goal range? :noidea: close anyway, witnin a couple yards I think.

SteelKnight
10-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I think we already were in field goal range? :noidea: close anyway, witnin a couple yards I think.

Yeah...prob close but with Reed lately IDK. I know after the busted play we were on the 37 so we were probably on the 32 or so ...like a 49 yarder.

I hate ARE punt returns. I wish he had handed it off to Sanders.

SteelKnight
10-24-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm going to have to agree with you guys that I don't like BAs playcalling.

I like the playbook and what he has done for Ben.

I wish he was a QB coach.

Hines is on fire today.

tony hipchest
10-24-2010, 03:08 PM
wallace catches the longest pass play of the year for a TD.

so what does arians do? use him on a reverse and abandons him for the rest of the game... :doh:

zulater
10-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Taking the pass out of the offense at the end of the game was a nice touch too. We were lucky to escape with the win after playing for a fg that only would have given us a 2 point lead with over 2 minutes of clock.

joeyssteelcurtain
10-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I like the play just not at that time

MACH1
10-24-2010, 03:18 PM
:doh: Way to grab defeat out of the clutches of victory Bruce. Does that play ever work? Not only doesn't it work, it always loses effing yardage! :banging: And one more thing, it was completely unnecessary! 2nd and 4, Ben playing lights out, why the hell do you think you need to resort to a trick play!!!! :mad:

Come on, we all know Ben calls ALL plays in the 2 minute drill. :rolleyes:

zulater
10-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Come on, we all know Ben calls ALL plays in the 2 minute drill. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's the company line over at that other board I post on. :chuckle:

MACH1
10-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Damn apologist's anyways. :laughing:

Kanata-Steeler
10-24-2010, 03:30 PM
yup, and (Mr. Chicken-poo)BA almost cost the game with his horrible clk-mgmt, play-calling, and NOT having the guts to run it in for a TD, instead of fg, near the end.
Is BA Rooney's golfing buddy or what !?

-miami even recovered Ben's goal-line fumble, man, he has a horsehoe up his ___
basically, Steelers' won this game 'cause Miami LOST ! -ugly win, but I'll take it
:)

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
yup, and (Mr. Chicken-poo)BA almost cost the game with his horrible clk-mgmt, play-calling, and NOT having the guts to run it in for a TD, instead of fg, near the end.
Is BA Rooney's golfing buddy or what !?

-miami even recovered Ben's goal-line fumble, man, he has a horsehoe up his ___
basically, Steelers' won this game 'cause Miami LOST ! -ugly win, but I'll take it

Tomlin actually makes the decisions to go for it or go for a field goal on 4th down... Though I agree with Tomlin a lot, I think he didn't have faith in Arian's play calling.

Kanata-Steeler
10-24-2010, 03:42 PM
a little off topic but talkin about ugly wins, Buffalo had the ratbirds, but 5 ravens pick-up a ball-carrying defender and then strip him of the ball ?
Once any defender is lifted off the ground (intentially) by the defenders, that play should be dead, ball point of contact ?
nope, Ray lewis and 4 thugs lift-him, strip him, and Ball is Ravens ball, wow what stoopid rules the nfl still have !!!!
and ya, I did want the Ratbirds to lose

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I think Arians position is that it it going to work damn it one of these days no matter how many yards it loses.

wootawnee
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
You never call that play with less that 2 minutes to play in a half...........He called it with a minute left.........Bad bad call........Show some balls and throw it to Heath or Hines or underneath to Memo.......

zulater
10-24-2010, 05:51 PM
btw, the Steelers called that play coming out of a time out, there was no audible, the call belongs to Arians.

geo123
10-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Not a big fan of the play calling, mostly because they seemed to try to force the run when the (long) pass was working. I can't say I'm upset with the reverse, I think you need plays like that here and there. It just didn't work at the time.

zulater
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Not a big fan of the play calling, mostly because they seemed to try to force the run when the (long) pass was working. I can't say I'm upset with the reverse, I think you need plays like that here and there. It just didn't work at the time.

Hasn't worked once this season and the Steelers were moving the ball effecitvely at the time without tricks.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
they need to dust off that 05 SB td play. El has been worthless as a receiver and returner, maybe he can still throw the ball.

wootawnee
10-24-2010, 11:41 PM
You gotta throw them in there at the right time......Cowher/Whiz was great at that timing........Arians......sucks......Seems like he gives it away somehow everytime.....

#1LambertFan
10-25-2010, 04:34 PM

So we don't become a one-dimensional team. You need to run to keep a defense honest just as you need to pass to do the same. Oh and the reverse only proves to be an ineffective play when the opposing defense send 5 or more on a blitz like the Dolphins did almost all game... and look we burned them on it quit a bit. I'm sorry for seeming like I'm talking down to you but I just understood what Arians was doing all game and I think he did a good job.

zulater
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM
So we don't become a one-dimensional team. You need to run to keep a defense honest just as you need to pass to do the same. Oh and the reverse only proves to be an ineffective play when the opposing defense send 5 or more on a blitz like the Dolphins did almost all game... and look we burned them on it quit a bit. I'm sorry for seeming like I'm talking down to you but I just understood what Arians was doing all game and I think he did a good job.

I understand what he was doing too. Making a f'ing stupid play call. :doh: Slow developing lateral moving plays are usually hit or miss. You either hit big or lose yardage. This season we've lost yardage on these plays every time we've run one. Situational awareness is something that can't be overstressed in football. That was the wrong play at the wrong time, and it was destined for failure the moment it was called.

lionslicer
10-25-2010, 06:12 PM
I understand what he was doing too. Making a f'ing stupid play call. :doh: Slow developing lateral moving plays are usually hit or miss. You either hit big or lose yardage. This season we've lost yardage on these plays every time we've run one. Situational awareness is something that can't be overstressed in football. That was the wrong play at the wrong time, and it was destined for failure the moment it was called.

Exactly. Whiz used to say the best time to call those plays is around the 50 yard-line on 2nd in short in the middle of a quarter when a team doesn't know if you'll run or pass.

Time running out and in good field position, Teams will blitz the pass, but if their blitz runs into a trick play, that play wont last very long.

DanRooney
10-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Guys, we call this the Arians Abortion. You know, when our OC aborts anything positive happening offensively for one of his genius plays. It happens at least 3-4 times a game...we shouldn't be flipping out about it anymore.

SteelCityMom
10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok, so I'm going to go ahead and talk about this in the open...since other places don't mind openly bashing us.

I've been peeking on another forum a little bit today (those of you 'in the know' know which forum I'm talking about...the rest of you, it doesn't really matter)...and noticed Zu made the same thread over there.

Now, this other thread (over there) has gone on for 17 pages and many people have gotten defensive about "Arians bashing". I know how it used to go over here before if anyone dared speak against him (you haters know who you are), but surprise surprise, 2 threads have been made specifically about Arians in the past week or so, and none of them have broken out in argument. Yet the one 'over there' has. I wonder what the common denominator for those arguments could be. :chuckle:

Just found it funny, and ironic that the people complaining about the arguing that used to go on about him before over here, are now again fueling the same old arguments over there. Meanwhile, when they are gone from here, we can have rational discussions about the topic.

Yeah, I guess my pettiness came out a bit today...what of it!

MasterOfPuppets
10-27-2010, 10:56 PM
oh there was never any doubt as to who through the gas on the fire. the very same "thought police" was never very good at following there own bit of advise , such as, if you don't like the contents or subject matter of the thread, then stay out of it.

tony hipchest
10-27-2010, 11:05 PM
some fans (and probably sportswriters) dont know the difference between the 2 minute drill and hurry up offense.

i actually read some fans defend arians on the bonehead playcall with the assertion that ben calls EVERY playcall within the final 2 minutes, regardless of situation, even coming out of a timeout.

so in other words, in the most crucial time of a game, with the game tied and only 2 minutes to go, the coaches turn over the reigns to the qb. and are completely helpless in regards to doing their jobs.

:rofl: what a crock of bullshit!

the same mob also says that arians is a scapegoat for all that goes wrong, pats itself on the back for calling dick lebeau out, and thinks that sean mayhan was a good center. :toofunny:

Wallace108
10-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I was watching the Dolphins game with my buddy who played HS and college ball. As the Steelers lined up for the controversial play, he yells, "THEY'RE GOING TO RUN A QUARTERBACK DRAW!!!"

Yeah, he just guessed and got lucky ... but Arians still sucks.

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 11:20 PM
you haters know who you are...
:cya:
I do have to ask one thing: Why does it seem that when Cowher and his OCs would call gadgets - even when they didn't work - they were more fun to watch than Arians'? I think that part of it has to be that they work so rarely for Bruce, but there must be more to it than that, don't you think?

tony hipchest
10-27-2010, 11:22 PM
I was watching the Dolphins game with my buddy who played HS and college ball. As the Steelers lined up for the controversial play, he yells, "THEY'RE GOING TO RUN A QUARTERBACK DRAW!!!"

Yeah, he just guessed and got lucky ... but Arians still sucks.

i actually thought it was a great play and called it myself. watch the replay...

i jumped up to the TV and pointed to the huge empty 'A' gap between the C and RG, yelling "draw to ben, draw to ben!".

tony hipchest
10-27-2010, 11:29 PM
:cya:
I do have to ask one thing: Why does it seem that when Cowher and his OCs would call gadgets - even when they didn't work - they were more fun to watch than Arians'? I think that part of it has to be that they work so rarely for Bruce, but there must be more to it than that, don't you think?

because like the running game, they would always practice the gadget plays, threfore were more successful than not (2 in the 05 playoff/sb run).

arians is bright enough to not only not practice the basics of the run game, but dust off an old trick play that hasnt been called in years and expect it to be executed to perfection, with the players only trying it once or twice. :doh:

(anyone notice their run game has improved now that they actually practice it this year?)

Wallace108
10-27-2010, 11:33 PM
i actually thought it was a great play and called it myself. watch the replay...

i jumped up to the TV and pointed to the huge empty 'A' gap between the C and RG, yelling "draw to ben, draw to ben!".

Personally, I would have had Redman pound it up the middle (and again on 4th down if necessary). But I guess that's why Bruce is where he's at and I'm where I'm at. :noidea:

Wallace108
10-27-2010, 11:41 PM
(anyone notice their run game has improved now that they actually practice it this year?)

I'm not really an X's and O's guy. I watch games from an emotional standpoint. But it seems our running game has gotten worse since Ben has returned. Logic would suggest that it would get better with the threat of Ben's passing ability. Could this have anything to do with the play calling? :noidea:

ricardisimo
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm not really an X's and O's guy. I watch games from an emotional standpoint. But it seems our running game has gotten worse since Ben has returned. Logic would suggest that it would get better with the threat of Ben's passing ability. Could this have anything to do with the play calling? :noidea:
Statistically, you're right. I think this next game will tell us if it's a pattern or a blip.

Personally, I think Bruce has now gotten his favorite toy back, and he's in play mode once again. I remember reading the interview last year where he talked about how much fun it was for him to call all of the crazy shit he calls. I still shake my head and think "Fun for you is no fun for us, and vice versa. How about taking your job a little more seriously?"

Wallace108
10-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Personally, I think Bruce has now gotten his favorite toy back, and he's in play mode once again.

I didn't think of it in those terms, but I think you're right. When he was limited at the QB position, he was calling good games. But with Ben back, he's outsmarting himself.

MasterOfPuppets
10-28-2010, 12:25 AM
i'm sure his practice regiment has changed drastically the last 3 weeks.

tony hipchest
10-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm not really an X's and O's guy. I watch games from an emotional standpoint. But it seems our running game has gotten worse since Ben has returned. Logic would suggest that it would get better with the threat of Ben's passing ability. Could this have anything to do with the play calling? :noidea:looking at the offensive play chart miller, johnson, and redman lined up at FB a combined 7 times out of 57 offensive snaps.

thats lower than previous weeks and not a ringing endorsement of the commitment to gaining yards on the ground. despite what the steelerfan gurus would lead one to believe, ben doesnt decide which personel packages come in and out of the game.

its a zero sum game. better run game = less weapons for ben. better pass game = less productive runs.

what we saw through the course of the 1st 4 games is that arians is much less predictable without ben in the game.

this is why i was estatic that they ran a sneak and werent going to go for it on 4th down on the final drive vs. miami.

a run with redman is way too predictable, and lets not forget, arians goaline playcalling pretty much sucked with or w/o ben or mendenhall.

Wallace108
10-28-2010, 12:42 AM
what we saw through the course of the 1st 4 games is that arians is much less predictable without ben in the game.

I agree. And that's the point I'm trying to make. He's outsmarting himself.

a run with redman is way too predictable, and lets not forget, arians goaline playcalling pretty much sucked with or w/o ben or mendenhall.

Excellent point, tony. I was just banking on the philosophy of "Here's what we're doing ... try to stop us."

tony hipchest
10-28-2010, 12:55 AM
I agree. And that's the point I'm trying to make. He's outsmarting himself.

classic arians.

instead of K.I.S.S. and play some sound football using conventional wisdom, he is trying to be bobby fischer, and develop some "mad scientist" type of personna.

its like calling 50 pass plays in a snow hurricaine. :doh:

when he finally realizes that football games are won on the grass and not on the chalkboard or in the heads of the opponents coaches, he can be a damn good playcaller.