PDA

View Full Version : Miami Post-game thread

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Put your post game thoughts here...or I'll just move the random threads here!

Say no to clutter!

What an ugly win today, but I'll take the wins anyway we can get them right now! :tt02:

Hope none of the injuries are too serious, we definitely need Adams, Smith and Woodley in the game next week.

DoctorCAD
10-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Tough road ahead for our guys.

Ben should be in mid season form by now.

D needs help in the secondary.

Steel_Bus_24
10-24-2010, 04:13 PM
hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02:

haters are gonna hate, but they can suck it with all that"The refs cheat for the Steelers" :blah:crap

5-1 baby!!!!!!!:tt03:

I just pray Aaron and Flozell are ok:bowdown:

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah, definitely a tough road ahead...but thankfully all teams have looked very beatable so far this year. I'm not taking any of the games lightly at all, but the Saints (especially) remind me of the Steelers last year. Hope we can get to Brees as much as the Browns did today.

joeyssteelcurtain
10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt02::tt02:

haters are gonna hate, but they can suck it with all that"The refs cheat for the Steelers" :blah:crap

5-1 baby!!!!!!!:tt03:

I just pray Aaron and Flozell are ok:bowdown:

yea smith is big for us and come on bills

tony hipchest
10-24-2010, 04:15 PM
not having a fg attempt as time ran out in the 1st half is inexcusable. complete waste of a drive, time, and talent.

luckilly we got a break on bens 3rd fumble and won.

all is well.

welcome to the steelers jason worilds! :tt02: we did pretty damn good on defense considering the loss of smith, keisel and woodley.

joeyssteelcurtain
10-24-2010, 04:15 PM
not having a fg attempt as time ran out in the 1st half is inexcusable. complete waste of a drive, time, and talent.

all is well.

welcome to the steelers jason worilds! :tt02: we did pretty damn good on defense considering the loss of smith, keisel and woodley.

100% right

BritishSteel
10-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I'll take lucky over good, and we rode our luck today, but a wins a win, and on the road too.

Let's hope that the injuries are minor - we looked dead on our feet in the second half at times.

NYC_Steeler
10-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Ben needs to stop with the knucklehead plays - take a sack rather give up a fumble. Hold ball with 2 hands if you're running it into endzone - don't cradle it openly. Football 101.

Steel_Bus_24
10-24-2010, 04:17 PM
I'll take lucky over good, and we rode our luck today, but a wins a win, and on the road too.

Let's hope that the injuries are minor - we looked dead on our feet in the second half at times.

As Tomlin would say......."Well stack this one with the other ones"

Lady Steel
10-24-2010, 04:18 PM
What an ugly win today, but I'll take the wins anyway we can get them right now!

Agreed. Somehow I managed to make it through the game without having a heart attack. :tt02:

NYC_Steeler
10-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Bills going for the FG to tie - 8secs left - GOT IT!! Overtime!

Lugia
10-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, definitely a tough road ahead...but thankfully all teams have looked very beatable so far this year. I'm not taking any of the games lightly at all, but the Saints (especially) remind me of the Steelers last year. Hope we can get to Brees as much as the Browns did today.

I hope we can beat the team the Browns beat.

Anyway, tough game, but the Steelers defense held Miami at the last minute.

Wasn't expecting that.

joeyssteelcurtain
10-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Bills going for the FG to tie - 8secs left - GOT IT!! Overtime!

come on bills

GMU Steeler
10-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Haha you gotta admire the Bills. I believe I heard that Ray Lewis said he felt sorry for them during the week. Bet they used that as blackboard material. Who's laughing now, Ray Ray?

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
That fumble in the endzone, though the official made the right call about the ball being at the 1 yard line since they called the play dead. But everyone with critisize them for blowing the whistle to early.

I know everyone will say the dolphins looked like they had the ball at the bottom of the pile, even at the end one came up with the ball, only because the Refs ruled the play a touchdown and the Steelers didn't try to get the ball. From the replay it actually looked like Legursky had it.

Ben says he had the ball in the pile until he heard someone say touchdown so he let it go.

sharkweek
10-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Put your post game thoughts here...or I'll just move the random threads here!

Say no to clutter!

What an ugly win today, but I'll take the wins anyway we can get them right now! :tt02:

Hope none of the injuries are too serious, we definitely need Adams, Smith and Woodley in the game next week.

I'd rather they sit and heal up for that game and be ready for the divisional game against the Bengals the week after if its needed.

If they can be 100% for the Saints game then by all means, otherwise yeah I definitely want them healthy for the Bengals.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Leaning to Roethlisberger. I have to hold my nose on his disinterest in smart ball control. We don't recover this game w/o his effort though.

What is becoming hallmark of the Tomlin era is players who make early mistakes shake them off and deliver.

Emmanuel Sanders? Case & Point. Mike Wallace should have pulled in the first big pass play. All forgotten. The jet fuel that Wallace stores in those legs is truly awesome.

Jason Worilds must still be tasting blood. Larry Foote shows he still has gas left in his tank. Of course it is the system but what a huge effort on that 3rd down run.

And Hines Ward? HINES WARD BABY!!!!!!!!! :helmet:

sharkweek
10-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Ben needs to stop with the knucklehead plays - take a sack rather give up a fumble. Hold ball with 2 hands if you're running it into endzone - don't cradle it openly. Football 101.

well considering many of his plays are Football 851, and he teaches the class, I can forgive a 101 mistake here and there, although I certainly won't forgive such mistakes on a weekly basis.

steelcity1974
10-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Lucky to win considering all the stupid mistakes and injuries. Where was Troy today? A complete non factor.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-24-2010, 04:45 PM

all is well.

Talk about standing on the edge of the cliff in high winds. It almost seemed at any moment we were about to get blown off.

Totally inexcusable. They are in Miami not at Heinz Field.

Does Worilds have a wing span of a 747 or do I need to have my eyes checked? Defense was far too porous but bend don't break. They slammed the door shut in the first quarter and that made the difference.

:present:

SH-Rock
10-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Antonio Brown as Kick Returner next week, Sanders as WR

mikegrimey
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Here's a few things I noticed from the game.

1. Arians did stick to running the ball despite the fact that we were constantly getting stuffed in the second half.

2. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams were starting to pop off more consistent 4-6 yards run after the exit of Smith.

3. The team much resembled the 09 squad and not in a good way. We put up 17 points in the first half and 6 in the second. 3 redzone trips and 3 field goals. Pass defense was transparent at times.

4. The defense got roughed up a bit but was good at the bookends of the game. They saved our ass by only allowing 6 points off those two early turnovers and shut Miami down when it counted at the end.

5. Sanders was consistent on kick returns all day.

6. We got lucky that the referee called the Ben fumble a TD at the end of the game. Had he made the right call on the field Miami would have been found to recover and it'd be an uphill battle and relying on a last minute FG to win.

7. Our pass rush looked marginalized the majority of the day, that's a problem that has to be fixed.

8. Roethlisberger needs to tone down the recklessness, there's no excuse for not getting off a FG attempt at the end of the first half, it really came back to hurt us.

Overall not a great game by any means and one that is too close against a team that we need to be able to handle solidly if we want to matchup with the league's elite. I hope the injurys to Woodley, Smith, and Adams aren't that serious and they'll all be ready to go in NO next week. That will not be an easy game, Brees will be looking to rebound and if Henne can light us up I know Drew can.

Kanata-Steeler
10-24-2010, 04:55 PM
That fumble in the endzone, though the official made the right call about the ball being at the 1 yard line since they called the play dead. But everyone with critisize them for blowing the whistle to early.

I know everyone will say the dolphins looked like they had the ball at the bottom of the pile, even at the end one came up with the ball, only because the Refs ruled the play a touchdown and the Steelers didn't try to get the ball. From the replay it actually looked like Legursky had it.

Ben says he had the ball in the pile until he heard someone say touchdown so he let it go.
---------------------------------

I don't know if your HD-tv is showing you weird things ?,
but MIAMI had the BALL ! -eyes.

and ya, of course I'll still take the win.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-24-2010, 04:56 PM

Not making excuses for Sanders but Miami staff chose to defer. Smart move. The rain had just stopped making conditions a little dicey. I even called the fumble before it happened.

He ripped off a 49 yarder that set up the Wallace 53 yarder. I don't think we can afford to put Brown on the roster too.

We need depth on the defensive line. :hunch:

Kanata-Steeler
10-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Haha you gotta admire the Bills. I believe I heard that Ray Lewis said he felt sorry for them during the week. Bet they used that as blackboard material. Who's laughing now, Ray Ray?

yup, the Bills got ripped-off today, in OT, when 5 "lift-and-separate" thugs strip ball, when it should have been play over, at the point of NO forward progress... :)
But up to that point, it was a great game, and ya I was hopin' the Ratbirds would lose.

:tt04:

sharkweek
10-24-2010, 05:02 PM

did you not see how many times Sanders put us at the 40 or better?

Deserei90
10-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Ben says he had the ball in the pile until he heard someone say touchdown so he let it go.But, Whats going to really have everyone calling The Steelers cheaters, is because the ref is from Washington, PA. So they will automatically think they cheated for us. Another conversational week.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Not making excuses for Sanders but Miami staff chose to defer. Smart move. The rain had just stopped making conditions a little dicey. I even called the fumble before it happened.

He ripped off a 49 yarder that set up the Wallace 53 yarder. I don't think we can afford to put Brown on the roster too.

We need depth on the defensive line. :hunch:
there's 2 all but useless million dollar bonus men getting a uniform every week .... randel el and battle.

mikegrimey
10-24-2010, 05:08 PM
But, Whats going to really have everyone calling The Steelers cheaters, is because the ref is from Washington, PA. So they will automatically think they cheated for us. Another conversational week.

Nobody with common sense would accuse the Steelers of cheating.

The facts are we got lucky that the referees blew the play dead before they could determine who recovered the loose ball. Sort of like when Ed Hochuli wronged the Chargers when he called a play dead making it unreviewable against the Broncos a few years back. Given that the play was blown dead they refs hands were tied, they can't "assume" that anyone recovered it, thus giving us the ball at the 1. Definitely not cheating, but unfortunates for the dolphins.

jjpro11
10-24-2010, 05:14 PM
it's a sucky way to win.. but we could have easily given up a last second drive like Baltimore.. so whatever. with all the guys getting hurt, i'll take it.

ZoneBlitzer
10-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Lucky to win considering all the stupid mistakes and injuries. Where was Troy today? A complete non factor.

I've been watching Troy closely the last couple of games. He's just not himself. I think he's playing hurt. I think he got dinged in that Tampa Bay game and I know that since then, he hasn't been the Troy I expect to see.

As for the game, it was an ugly win for sure. The end of the 2nd half was inexcusable as was not going for it on 4th down on the goal line in the 4th Q. Luckily the Dolphins ineptitude reared its ugly head to save the day. Credit goes to the Steelers D for finally closing out a game as well. Things are going to get really tough for this team over the next couple of weeks. This will be the true barometer of where they are at.

Kanata-Steeler
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Ben "FUMBLED" a recoverable ball, which Miami did infact "recover", but obviously they did't take advantage of,...., they lost and Steelers won. If you saw/replayed the end of that game you would also see it as clear as your beer glass ;)

Steelers' of course, are NOT cheaters, and no one could ever say that, because those final call-descisions were made by the refs, judges,...whatever... and Not by Steelers.

Bottom-line, for this game, we had a proverbial HORSE-SHOE up our petubeee's
:) .

:drink:

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
I've been watching Troy closely the last couple of games. He's just not himself. I think he's playing hurt. I think he got dinged in that Tampa Bay game and I know that since then, he hasn't been the Troy I expect to see.

As for the game, it was an ugly win for sure. The end of the 2nd half was inexcusable as was not going for it on 4th down on the goal line in the 4th Q. Luckily the Dolphins ineptitude reared its ugly head to save the day. Credit goes to the Steelers D for finally closing out a game as well. Things are going to get really tough for this team over the next couple of weeks. This will be the true barometer of where they are at.

He wasn't his normal run stopping self, but he was in coverage most of the game playing more of a traditional Saftey role, and did better in coverage, when he came up to the line to blitz, he didn't look to good. He's holding back.

But Henne did a good job looking for open recievers and going to check downs. If you noticed no passes went anywhere near Troy unless it was underneath and Troy came up to make the tackle.

Haiku_Dirtt
10-24-2010, 05:25 PM
there's 2 all but useless million dollar bonus men getting a uniform every week .... randel el and battle.

Point taken.:buttkick:

mikegrimey
10-24-2010, 05:25 PM
The end of the 2nd half was inexcusable as was not going for it on 4th down on the goal line in the 4th Q

So you would have proposed taking a risk on 4th down instead of chipping in the extra point for the lead? Why when the field goal will give you the lead. Sure, a TD would give you a 5 point lead but that 1/2 of yard is not as automatic. You can say it was "inexcusable" but there aren't many current coaches in the NFL who would have done differently .

Merchant
10-24-2010, 05:29 PM
*Troy led the team in tackles today

SH-Rock
10-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I hope Troy makes some big plays from now on. We really need it.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 05:32 PM
So you would have proposed taking a risk on 4th down instead of chipping in the extra point for the lead? Why when the field goal will give you the lead. Sure, a TD would give you a 5 point lead but that 1/2 of yard is not as automatic. You can say it was "inexcusable" but there aren't many current coaches in the NFL who would have done differently .

My thoughts exactly.

Going for it in that situation is borderline insanity. If they went for it and didn't make it, that would have lost the game.

Need4spd
10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
I would just like to thank the referees for tossing us a bone this week. I'm sorry, but even though I am as much of a Steelers fan as the next guy, I see things through objective glasses. Ben did in fact fumble the football (again), and all indications were that Miami recovered it in the endzone... Plain and simple. There was still roughly two and half minutes left in the game at that point, so to give the ball to Miami on their own 20 doesn't make it a done deal by any stretch, but Miami got ripped off if you ask me. I'll take a win I guess, but it's just hard for me to get terribly enthusiastic about this one like most folks are.

Just one more thought... Did anyone notice the poor attempt at an all arms tackle Troy made on that down-field pass play in the middle of the game? Instead of going into the receiver with his body, he went to the side of the receiver and attempted to wrap his arms around the receiver and basically spin him to the ground, which he failed at doing. My first reaction was that this was just a bad play and that Troy should have tried to light the guy up from behind and dislodge the ball, ala Ryan Clark. I wonder if it was that, or a reaction to the new emphasis on the way hits/tackles are being made?

Lastly... What on earth was up with that horrendous clock management at the end of the first half? That was absolutely inexcusable.

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 05:44 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Going for it in that situation is borderline insanity. If they went for it and didn't make it, that would have lost the game.

If the Dolphins got a field goal to win the game on the final drive, everyone would call Tomlin the biggest idiot in the world because of how the defense was playing.

I'd rather have had a touchdown, and if it was turned over on downs, the dolphins would have to run in, big chance of a saftey, game gets tied, steelers get the ball back, gets a field goal, wins the game 25-22

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 05:48 PM
the phinfans are pissed...:sofunny:

F Pitt and the Ref. Easy Fn call just go to show if its Pitt, Dal, GB, Pats or the Giants they will always get the benefit of the call. Im F'n out.

I hope Ben Rothlisberger rapes that refs wife.

Why does Putzburg get the calls every single weekend? EVERY WEEKEND!!!

I dont think they have ever ever had a call go against them. Ever.

That wasnt close to being a Touchdown, EXACTLY like when Rapelisburger scored in the SB against Seattle.

Merchant
10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Rapelisbuger? that's a new one :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 05:57 PM
If the Dolphins got a field goal to win the game on the final drive, everyone would call Tomlin the biggest idiot in the world because of how the defense was playing.

I'd rather have had a touchdown, and if it was turned over on downs, the dolphins would have to run in, big chance of a saftey, game gets tied, steelers get the ball back, gets a field goal, wins the game 25-22

You don't play to what might happen after your possession in a situation like that. You get the lead and let the defense do it's job.

Can you imagine if Tomlin went mental and tried for a TD and they got stuffed? The backlash from that would be monumental.

I know going for it and getting a TD sounds nice, BUT it would have been an extremely stupid call. You only do that when you need 7 to tie or win the game that late.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
the phinfans are pissed...:sofunny:

I read over there too. I've already called the whaaaambulance service to take care of them.

xQmsBEpDoAg

MillerMania83
10-24-2010, 05:59 PM
UGLY win today NO DOUBT, and a costly one at that with the injuries.

IMO we were pretty lucky to get the W, as I've never seen a call like that made on Ben's fumble at the end of the game.

Penalties today, turnovers, missed tackles, etc...But it's a road W and ya take them however ya can get them.

Sanders was excellent today on the kick returns, and the kid catches a nice ball out there too when #7 slings him a few.

Hines was AWESOME today.

Wallace is a stud (although IMO he should have laid out and had a better effort on that first pass), they NEED to find a way to get him the ball more.

The D definitely kept us in it early, but after that, kinda "ho-hum" for me....Henne looked like an elite QB at times today...Not much of a pass rush today IMO, and I was kinda surprised they didn't try and rattle Henne a bit earlier with a few more blitz early...And even when the did bring the heat, the Dolphins did a very good job of picking them up, KUDOS to them for that.

And I have to agree a bit with what a few others have mentioned, just seems Troy is not himself out there the last 2 weeks, asked the wife 2 weeks in a row "where's #43", maybe wrongfully so, but maybe just expect him to always give ya a "jaw dropper" every week with some kind of incredible play...And it did seem he was trying to wrap receivers up today instead of just doing what he does.

Saints get beat by the Browns today, that just means they are gonna be pretty pisssed next week when we get to town, GREAT, lol...Plus with the injuries mounting up, should be an interesting one again next week.

Curtain_of_Steel
10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Ugly win, but a win nonetheless.

Hopefully they learn from some mistakes and equally learn that if you cant run the ball, dont run the ball just to appease the whiny owner about bringing equality back tot he play calling. BA made some dumb ass play calling today and took some points off the board because of it.

Equally BB needs to be smarter, there was atleast 3 plays where he couldve ran the ball. Of course when he does he needs to hang on to the ball, lol

Lastly, when are they going to call holing calls for the steelers? This is ridiculous the amount of blatant holdings that go one

jjpro11
10-24-2010, 06:07 PM
i am not so sure i agree with you guys saying Troy is hurt.. i think it has more to do with teams not throwing the ball his way as much.. he's still making plays up at the LOS.. no, the INTs aren't there, but i think his presence is still fully felt by opposing offenses. i could be wrong though and maybe he does have an injury.

for anyone saying Tomlin should have gone for it 4th and goal.. please STFU!!! that would have been the dumbest call of the season even if he made it. you have a chance to take the lead with under 3 minutes, you take it and don't think twice. the defense is supposed to be among the best. it's their job to protect the lead. the Dolphins were out of timeouts for Christ sake.

SteelCityMom
10-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Ben "FUMBLED" a recoverable ball, which Miami did infact "recover", but obviously they did't take advantage of,...., they lost and Steelers won. If you saw/replayed the end of that game you would also see it as clear as your beer glass ;)

Steelers' of course, are NOT cheaters, and no one could ever say that, because those final call-descisions were made by the refs, judges,...whatever... and Not by Steelers.

Bottom-line, for this game, we had a proverbial HORSE-SHOE up our petubeee's
:) .

:drink:

It actually doesn't matter who recovered the "fumble" and that should have been the explanation given by the refs. The play was blown dead before the ball was recovered, therefore whatever happens after that is null and void.

Now, the play probably shouldn't have been blown dead that quickly, but it was and that means that all the refs should have had to determine after that was if it was a TD or not.

MillerMania83
10-24-2010, 06:21 PM
One last thing....That series before the end of the 1st half was INSANE....Absolutely TERRIBLE time management, unless I'm blind (maybe I am) we had 2 time outs left, we are in Miami territory, WTH were they doing, ya use the time outs for sure, and ya at least try and get 10-15yds to give Reed a shot....I couldn't believe my eyes how that played out.

Also you ABSOLUTELY kick the field goal at the end of the game to take the FREAKIN' LEAD in the game with only a little time left on the clock and Miami with no time outs, ya send your D out there and tell them to get it DONE....To go for the TD would have been INSANE, if they get stopped, THEY LOSE....They would have rode the coaches out of towm if they went for it and didn't make it....It's a chip shot and ya TAKE THE LEAD in the game, it's really a NO BRAINER.

GoFins11
10-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Us Dolphin fans have every right to be pissed. Bad call by the refs. BUT that situation should never have happened. If the Dolphins were a better then average team, they would have won this game. The fins had plenty of opportunities.

The better team and the better organization won. Congrats on the win, Black and Gold!

SoCalFan
10-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Good thing for us,the refs were quick to blow the whistle ending the play,the key to that is they THOUGHT the ball broke the plane.If that were to happen at the 5 yard line,it would have been fins ball.We will take it,its in the W column...

geo123
10-24-2010, 07:19 PM
They were lucky to out of there with a win. Except for the 2nd Q the O was disappointng. Fumble fingers got away with that last one, when he should have had an easy TD. The running game wasn't working all day but passing was, yet at the end they keep trying to force the run instead of going with what was working. Miami had the same issue,but took the passes they were given.
After 2 turnovers by the O in first 2 min. the D stepped up to hold Fins to 2 FGs. What happened after that, they were solid against the run most of the day, but got picked apart with the pass. I know they only gave up 1 TD, but Miami moved the ball well and was very much in the game. They're not going to get away with this every week; they have to step up and score points and win the game on offense!!

smokeykurt
10-24-2010, 09:21 PM

You would make a horrible coach lol...

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 09:54 PM
I read over there too. I've already called the whaaaambulance service to take care of them.

xQmsBEpDoAg
:sofunny: ... you spend waaay too much time on youtube.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Us Dolphin fans have every right to be pissed. Bad call by the refs. BUT that situation should never have happened. If the Dolphins were a better then average team, they would have won this game. The fins had plenty of opportunities.

The better team and the better organization won. Congrats on the win, Black and Gold!
indeed it was a bad call..it should have been a steelers td since ben recovered it in the endzone ...:popcorn:

zulater
10-24-2010, 10:14 PM
indeed it was a bad call..it should have been a steelers td since ben recovered it in the endzone ...:popcorn:

Actually I think Legurskey did. :chuckle:

zulater
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
You don't play to what might happen after your possession in a situation like that. You get the lead and let the defense do it's job.

Can you imagine if Tomlin went mental and tried for a TD and they got stuffed? The backlash from that would be monumental.

I know going for it and getting a TD sounds nice, BUT it would have been an extremely stupid call. You only do that when you need 7 to tie or win the game that late.

Disagree, there was plenty of time to get the ball back if you fail to get the td. Teams operating with a lead from inside their own 1 yard line are limited in their play calling. With about 2.40 to play, and the Steelers holding 3 time outs and the two minute warning chances are real good the Steelers would have got the ball back with plenty of clock left and in decent field postion to take another crack at it.

Considering how improved we've been in short yardage situations this year it would have been a reasonable risk -reward situation to go for the TD.

LVSteelersfan
10-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I wish Ben was smarter in those kind of situations. He should have tried to bull his way in instead of putting that ball out there for grabs. Hang on to the ball at all costs. But I agree with others that you kick the FG there and take a lead. No way you go for the TD in that situation especially with our track record on 4th and goal in the past few years. With the way the defense was getting gashed after Smith left the game, there is no way the Steelers would have stopped Brown and Williams from getting rushing first downs to run out the clock. They just kept running it straight at his side ( I assume it was Ziggy Hood in that spot but not sure) and getting easy rushing yards. I still think if they hadn't blown the darn whistle, those two Miami players fumbled the ball straight back toward the goal line, it was loose and it looked like Legursky and Ben had a great shot at it. Miami fans are insisting they got the recovery, but the Steelers quit fighting for it once they realized it was blown dead.

Disagree, there was plenty of time to get the ball back if you fail to get the td. Teams operating with a lead from inside their own 1 yard line are limited in their play calling. With about 2.40 to play, and the Steelers holding 3 time outs and the two minute warning chances are real good the Steelers would have got the ball back with plenty of clock left and in decent field postion to take another crack at it.

Considering how improved we've been in short yardage situations this year it would have been a reasonable risk -reward situation to go for the TD.

MasterOfPuppets
10-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Actually I think Legurskey did. :chuckle:
nope, ben said he had it till an official tapped him on the back ...:popcorn:

lionslicer
10-24-2010, 11:12 PM
You would make a horrible coach lol...

Sure thats why statistically aggressive coaches have won more superbowls than conservative coaches. Tomlin was very agressive in 2008, he went for it on 4th down more than any coach. He didn't succeed that much, but I don't see people trying to crucify him... yet.

mesaSteeler
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Post-Miami thoughts

A wise man said OK, it was Craig Wolfley that during the course of a season, you win a game you should lose and lose a game you should win.

That was probably the case for the Steelers on Sunday as they won a game they probably should have lost.

Why should they have lost?

The defense didn't have a very good game. Yes, the final numbers aren't bad, but as the injuries mounted, the Dolphins moved the ball pretty easily.

The Steelers can be thankful that Miami's offense bogged down again and again inside the 20.

Chad Henne missed some throws and checked down a couple of other times instead of taking a shot at the end zone to 6-4 wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

As we saw, Lawrence Timmons just isn't the same Lawrence Timmons when he has to move to outside linebacker as he did at times Sunday to replace injured LaMarr Woodley.

Timmons' game is built on speed and his explosiveness. He's not a guy who's going to line up and beat you with his pass rush moves.

I would expect Woodley to at least try to play next week at New Orleans, but if he doesn't, the Steelers have to at least take a long look at starting rookie Jason Worilds in place of Woodley.

We won't know for sure until Monday, but it doesn't look good for Aaron Smith and his torn triceps muscle.

The Steelers are a little more optimistic about Flozell Adams' ankle injury.

Everywhere I go, people are hammering me this year for my NFL picks. But I ask you, who can figure this league out this year?

Baltimore should have had a cakewalk against Buffalo Sunday and probably should have lost.

New Orleans did lose at home to Cleveland.

Tennessee is looking a little better, but that's still a team the Steelers beat on the road with Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch putting up high school football quarterback numbers.

Picking games against the spread this season is a losing proposition.

smokeykurt
10-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Sure thats why statistically aggressive coaches have won more superbowls than conservative coaches. Tomlin was very agressive in 2008, he went for it on 4th down more than any coach. He didn't succeed that much, but I don't see people trying to crucify him... yet.

All I'm hearing here is "blah blah blah, i dont know what im talking about, blah blah blah, shoot me i'd make a bad coach, blah blah blah"

caplovestroyp43
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Thank you Classy Dolphins Fan! :thumbsup: It is much appreciated. :tt02: